GSMA To Showcase Mobile’s Increasing Impact on Sustainable Development During UN General Assembly Week
The GSMA will represent the global mobile industry at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) being held in New York this week, advancing the leading role the sector is playing in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Over the coming week, the GSMA will be participating in a wide range of activities with several high-profile partners and providing a critical platform for dialogue between mobile industry leaders, heads of state, global leaders and governments to further accelerate mobile’s contribution to the SDGs.
“The GSMA will be in UNGA for the third year running to demonstrate how the global mobile industry is strengthening its commitment to improving lives around the world, as we enter a critical period in the delivery of the UN’s ambitious 2030 Agenda,” said Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA. “As the leading forum for international political cooperation, UNGA give us a unique opportunity to showcase how mobile’s unprecedented global scale is connecting unconnected communities, reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, and building sustainable cities and communities.”
The GSMA and senior executives from the mobile industry will be participating at UNGA in a number of ways, including:
- SDG Media Zone: Located at UN headquarters, the SDG Media Zone is a unique space at UNGA where thought leaders, governments, civil society, businesses and celebrities from around the world will participate in live interviews, panel discussions and special events. The GSMA is a partner in the Media Zone alongside the UN Department of Public Information, the UN Foundation and the PVBLIC Foundation. Click here to see the full programme schedule.
- Impact Report: The 2018 edition of the Mobile Industry Impact report will be launched at a reception in the SDG Media Zone on Tuesday 25 September. This report measures the industry’s contribution to each of the 17 SDGs, demonstrating the significant progress made over the last three years.
- New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: The GSMA is co-hosting a session today, Monday, 24 September from 10:30 to 12:00 at UN headquarters entitled ‘New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: Business Driving Innovation for Social Good.’ This event, held in collaboration with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Trade Centre (ITC) and UNDESA, is bringing together global leaders and experts from the public and private sectors to discuss how to maximise innovation to deliver on the aspirations of the 2030 Agenda.
- Big Data for Better Lives: On Tuesday, 25 September from 07:00 to 09:00 the GSMA is co-hosting a session at UN headquarters entitled ‘Big Data for Better Lives: Mobiles, Statistics & Insights’ in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), UNICEF, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Norway. This session will feature insights from the GSMA’s Big Data for Social Good (BD4SG) initiative, which is providing real-world mobile big data solutions to respond to epidemics, disasters and environmental challenges. Demonstrations of operator mobile big data projects are taking place at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
- Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile: A networking breakfast hosted by the GSMA’s Mobile for Development team will take place on Tuesday, 25 September (08:00 to 09:30) at the SDG Media Zone. Under the theme ‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’, this session will explore how mobile solutions are transforming the lives of women and their families by providing access to energy, water, clean cooking and nutrition information, and driving women’s financial and digital inclusion.
- #CaseForChange: The GSMA is continuing the journey with more inspiring films in its #CaseForChange series, which showcase stories of mobile technology transforming lives around the world. New films showing the disaster relief work conducted by mobile operators in the aftermath of last year’s hurricane in Puerto Rico and in driving gender equality in Rwanda will be among those aired at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
Throughout the week, the GSMA will also be participating in other events held in New York by the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development, EQUALS, Concordia and the One Planet Summit, among others. GSMA Chair Sunil Bharti Mittal will also Co-Chair the WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit being held 24 – 25 September.
Get involved at UNGA
Follow the GSMA on our social media channels for all the latest updates from UNGA week. You can take part in the conversation on Twitter using the #UNGA hashtag and get all the latest images from the event on the GSMA Instagram account.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Logitech Delivers Record Q2 Sales and Double-Digit Profit Growth23.10.2018 01:00 | Pressemelding
Logitech International (SIX: LOGN) (Nasdaq: LOGI) today announced financial results for the second quarter of Fiscal Year 2019. Q2 sales were $691 million, up 9 percent in US dollars and 10 percent in constant currency, compared to Q2 of the prior year. Q2 GAAP operating income reached $65 million, compared to $59 million in the same quarter a year ago. Q2 GAAP earnings per share (EPS) grew 15 percent to $0.38, compared to $0.33 in the same quarter a year ago. Q2 non-GAAP operating income grew 18 percent to $85 million, compared to $71 million in the same quarter a year ago. Q2 non-GAAP EPS grew 26 percent to $0.49, compared to $0.39 in the same quarter a year ago. Q2 cash flow from operations was $85 million, up 24 percent compared to Q2 of the prior year. Cash flow from operations for the fiscal year to date was $97 million, compared to $67 million for the same period a year ago. “Q2 showcased the power and diversity of our portfolio,” said Bracken Darrell, Logitech president and chi
SmartStream Steps Ahead with New Industry Digital Payments Solution22.10.2018 23:01 | Pressemelding
SmartStream Technologies, the financial Transaction Lifecycle Management (TLM®) solutions provider, today announced the launch of TLM Aurora, the next generation of Corona, the industry’s leading reconciliation platform – the first new module is designed to support the new industry standards in the digital payments world, by providing connectors to SWIFT GPI, RTGS, as well as Blockchain based networks, allowing for real-time operational control, proactive exception management and low TCO. TLM Aurora provides the new generation of integrated operational control for the digital marketplace. As transactions increase in variability, velocity and volume, the need for scalable, real-time, integrated reconciliations is greater than ever. TLM Aurora supports organisations in performing operations such as SWIFT and SEPA transfers, mobile, cash and card payments, digital currencies, settlements and reconciliations. The solution is agile enough to support the smallest of organisations and can be
CoreLogic to Acquire Symbility Solutions Inc.22.10.2018 22:12 | Pressemelding
CoreLogic (NYSE: CLGX), a leading global provider of property information, insight, analytics and data-enabled solutions, today announced the Company has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the outstanding shares of Symbililty Solutions Inc. (“Symbility”) (TSX.V: SY) not already owned by CoreLogic. CoreLogic currently holds approximately a 28% ownership interest in Symbility. Symbility, founded in 2004, is a leading provider of subscription and cloud-based property insurance claims workflow solutions for the Property & Casualty insurance industry. Symbility also provides an extensive array of innovative enterprise mobile and application software solutions. The company is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and operates in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand. “Symbility expands our footprint in property and casualty insurance domestically and in key markets around the globe. Further scaling our insurance and international footpri
Pacific Drilling Awarded Contract for the Pacific Bora22.10.2018 21:00 | Pressemelding
Pacific Drilling S.A. (OTC: PACDQ) (“Pacific Drilling” or the “Company”) announced today that its deepwater drillship the Pacific Bora has been awarded a contract by Nigerian Agip Exploration Limited (a subsidiary of Eni SpA) for drilling operations in Nigeria. The term of the contract is for one firm well plus two additional option wells. The contract is expected to commence in mid to late November 2018 and firm contract backlog is estimated at $9 million. Pacific Drilling Chief Executive Officer Paul Reese commented: “On the heels of our previous announcement of new work for Pacific Santa Ana in Mauritania, we are pleased to have secured this contract for the Bora which reflects our substantial experience in Nigeria and our uninterrupted commitment to providing exceptional drilling services to our clients.” Currently offshore Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, the Pacific Bora is a sixth generation deepwater, dynamically-positioned drillship capable of operating in water depths up to 10,000 fee
ResMed Wins German Patent Infringement Case Against Fisher & Paykel22.10.2018 20:30 | Pressemelding
ResMed (NYSE: RMD) (ASX: RMD), the world’s leading tech-driven medical company and innovator in sleep apnea and respiratory care, today announced the results of a court and patent office ruling in Germany in ResMed’s favor. A trial court ruling from the Munich District Court states that the headgear used on two Fisher & Paykel CPAP masks – the Simplus full face and Eson 2 nasal mask – infringes ResMed patent EP 2 373 368 B1 in Germany. In a separate decision, the Opposition Division of the European Patent Office had already decided that the patent asserted against Fisher & Paykel is valid. Each decision may be appealed by Fisher & Paykel. “We applaud the Munich District Court for reaching this just finding, and are exploring all options in light of the fact that Fisher & Paykel is selling CPAP masks with headgear that infringes a valid ResMed patent in Germany,” said ResMed Chief Administrative Officer and Global General Counsel David Pendarvis. “We will continue to defend our intellec
Grand Prize Winner in $1.75M Water Abundance XPRIZE Announced at XPRIZE Visioneering 201822.10.2018 17:49 | Pressemelding
During Visioneering 2018, XPRIZE’s annual gathering of philanthropists and innovators to evaluate concepts for future competitions, the Foundation revealed the results of its latest, completed XPRIZE. The Skysource / Skywater Alliance was announced as the grand prize winner of the $1.75M Water Abundance XPRIZE, a two-year competition aimed at alleviating the global water crisis with energy-efficient technologies that harvest fresh water from thin air. In addition at Visioneering, five new prize concepts were evaluated with top honors going to a prize concept called “Coral Survival”, a prize designed to protect and restore coral reefs. This prize will move forward into the XPRIZE pipeline. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181022005795/en/ The Skysource / Skywater Alliance team, based in Venice Beach, California, wins the Water Abundance XPRIZE (Photo: Business Wire) The Water Abundance XPRIZE, powered by the Tat