GSMA To Showcase Mobile’s Increasing Impact on Sustainable Development During UN General Assembly Week
The GSMA will represent the global mobile industry at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) being held in New York this week, advancing the leading role the sector is playing in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Over the coming week, the GSMA will be participating in a wide range of activities with several high-profile partners and providing a critical platform for dialogue between mobile industry leaders, heads of state, global leaders and governments to further accelerate mobile’s contribution to the SDGs.
“The GSMA will be in UNGA for the third year running to demonstrate how the global mobile industry is strengthening its commitment to improving lives around the world, as we enter a critical period in the delivery of the UN’s ambitious 2030 Agenda,” said Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA. “As the leading forum for international political cooperation, UNGA give us a unique opportunity to showcase how mobile’s unprecedented global scale is connecting unconnected communities, reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, and building sustainable cities and communities.”
The GSMA and senior executives from the mobile industry will be participating at UNGA in a number of ways, including:
- SDG Media Zone: Located at UN headquarters, the SDG Media Zone is a unique space at UNGA where thought leaders, governments, civil society, businesses and celebrities from around the world will participate in live interviews, panel discussions and special events. The GSMA is a partner in the Media Zone alongside the UN Department of Public Information, the UN Foundation and the PVBLIC Foundation. Click here to see the full programme schedule.
- Impact Report: The 2018 edition of the Mobile Industry Impact report will be launched at a reception in the SDG Media Zone on Tuesday 25 September. This report measures the industry’s contribution to each of the 17 SDGs, demonstrating the significant progress made over the last three years.
- New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: The GSMA is co-hosting a session today, Monday, 24 September from 10:30 to 12:00 at UN headquarters entitled ‘New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: Business Driving Innovation for Social Good.’ This event, held in collaboration with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Trade Centre (ITC) and UNDESA, is bringing together global leaders and experts from the public and private sectors to discuss how to maximise innovation to deliver on the aspirations of the 2030 Agenda.
- Big Data for Better Lives: On Tuesday, 25 September from 07:00 to 09:00 the GSMA is co-hosting a session at UN headquarters entitled ‘Big Data for Better Lives: Mobiles, Statistics & Insights’ in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), UNICEF, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Norway. This session will feature insights from the GSMA’s Big Data for Social Good (BD4SG) initiative, which is providing real-world mobile big data solutions to respond to epidemics, disasters and environmental challenges. Demonstrations of operator mobile big data projects are taking place at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
- Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile: A networking breakfast hosted by the GSMA’s Mobile for Development team will take place on Tuesday, 25 September (08:00 to 09:30) at the SDG Media Zone. Under the theme ‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’, this session will explore how mobile solutions are transforming the lives of women and their families by providing access to energy, water, clean cooking and nutrition information, and driving women’s financial and digital inclusion.
- #CaseForChange: The GSMA is continuing the journey with more inspiring films in its #CaseForChange series, which showcase stories of mobile technology transforming lives around the world. New films showing the disaster relief work conducted by mobile operators in the aftermath of last year’s hurricane in Puerto Rico and in driving gender equality in Rwanda will be among those aired at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
Throughout the week, the GSMA will also be participating in other events held in New York by the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development, EQUALS, Concordia and the One Planet Summit, among others. GSMA Chair Sunil Bharti Mittal will also Co-Chair the WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit being held 24 – 25 September.
Get involved at UNGA
Follow the GSMA on our social media channels for all the latest updates from UNGA week. You can take part in the conversation on Twitter using the #UNGA hashtag and get all the latest images from the event on the GSMA Instagram account.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Hilton Launches New Brand, Signia Hilton, Delivering Sophisticated Travel While Reimagining Meetings and Events22.2.2019 17:00:00 | Pressemelding
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) today announced the launch of Signia Hilton, its dynamic, new meetings-and-events-focused brand. The portfolio of hotels is setting out to transform the industry for meeting professionals and sophisticated business travelers by infusing state-of-the-art technology and design into every aspect of the guest experience. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190222005071/en/ The brand further reinforces Hilton’s commitment to innovation that meets the evolving needs of today’s travelers and will bring premium experiences to top urban and resort destinations around the world. “In our 100th year of hospitality, we are more focused than ever on providing exceptional experiences to all of our guests – and that includes evolving those experiences to meet their changing needs,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO, Hilton. “We are proud to launch Signia Hilton, which exemplifies our innovative sp
Axonics® Granted Expanded CE Mark Label; First and Only Sacral Neuromodulation System Approved for Use with Full-Body MRI Scans22.2.2019 16:30:00 | Pressemelding
Axonics Modulation Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AXNX), a medical technology company focused on the development and commercialization of novel implantable Sacral Neuromodulation (“SNM”) devices for the treatment of urinary and bowel dysfunction, announced today that it has received CE mark approval for 1.5T and 3T full-body magnetic resonance imaging (“MRI”) conditional labeling for the Axonics r-SNM® System. The Axonics r-SNM System is the only implantable SNM system that has received full-body MRI conditional labeling for sale in Europe1. Raymond W. Cohen, Chief Executive Officer of Axonics, said, “Without this labeling, any patient requiring an MRI scan on any body part below the head must have their neurostimulator surgically explanted prior to the MRI scan, resulting in an additional surgery for the patient and additional costs to patients and the healthcare system. This authorization of full-body MRI scans in Europe is another important milestone for Axonics, differentiating our te
Fantastec Joins Forces with Arsenal FC Launching Official Blockchain Collectibles App22.2.2019 14:30:00 | Pressemelding
Fantastec announced today its first football licensing agreement with Premier League club Arsenal FC for a new blockchain authenticated collectibles app called Fantastec SWAP. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190222005277/en/ Arsenal players appear on Fantastec SWAP in official licensing deal (Graphic: Business Wire) London-based Fantastec is a leading sports fan technology innovator, and its blockchain based ‘SWAP’ app will have broad appeal to global sports fans, gamers and sports card collectors alike. Fantastec SWAP unlocks unique and authentic club content through the app, like player autographs and exclusive footage. With its innovative blockchain technology, fans around the world can now discover, collect and swap officially licensed club collectibles with other fans with complete trust. “Fantastec SWAP is a game-changer for international football fans as well the sports collectibles industry,” commented
Volkswagen Protects Virtual Key Sharing App with Trustonic Application Protection22.2.2019 13:42:00 | Pressemelding
Volkswagen is working with mobile cyber security leader Trustonic to enable customers to use smartphones to access their vehicles, and to securely share their digital car keys to grant access to others via a smartphone app. Volkswagen is using the Trustonic Application Protection (TAP) platform to secure the mobile app and ensure that sensitive information and key transfer requests are securely displayed to, and approved by, a real authenticated user on a trusted device and not by hackers or malware simulating a user or device. “The smartphone is becoming the vehicle key of the future and our We Connect service is the interface for this today in the new Volkswagen Passat,” comments Alf Pollex, Head of Infotainment and Connected Car at Volkswagen AG. “The user installs the We Connect app on their smartphone which is then authorized via the infotainment system with a Transaction Number. The Mobile Key will be compatible with Android-based Samsung devices. No mobile network connection is
Mundipharma EDO GmbH: US FDA grants Orphan Drug Designation for etoposide toniribate in relapsed/refractory biliary tract cancer22.2.2019 13:30:00 | Pressemelding
Mundipharma EDO GmbH, part of the Mundipharma network of independent associated companies, and Imbrium Therapeutics L.P., an operating subsidiary of Purdue Pharma L.P., today announced that the US FDA has granted Orphan Drug Designation (ODD) to etoposide toniribate for the treatment of relapsed/refractory biliary tract cancer, also known as cholangiocarcinoma.3 This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190222005126/en/ Biliary tract cancer is a rare tumour with approximately 8,000 patients diagnosed in the US every year and 10,571 in Europe.4,5 The FDA grants ODD status to medicines intended for the treatment, diagnosis or prevention of rare diseases or disorders that affect fewer than 200,000 people in the US. Radical surgery is the only curative treatment for biliary tract cancer but, in most cases, the cancer is inoperable. Patients who fail first-line chemotherapy have limited treatment options and the standard of
Lenovo Data Center Group Delivers Broad Edge Computing Portfolio, Expands Investments in IoT22.2.2019 13:13:00 | Pressemelding
Next week at MWC Barcelona, Lenovo Data Center Group (DCG) will showcase continued investments in its solutions supporting IoT and edge computing as part of its IoT growth plan over the next few years. Building on the momentum of its fifth consecutive quarter of profit growth, Lenovo DCG is building a portfolio that takes infrastructure to where the data is, whether that be in the traditional data center, in the cloud or increasingly, at the edge. Today, around 10 percent of enterprise-generated data is created and processed outside a traditional centralized data center or cloud. By 2022, Gartner predicts this figure will reach 75 percent. This migration is driving increased concerns around data privacy, security and regulations coupled with challenges of latency, bandwidth and downtime. Lenovo is addressing these challenges by creating a broad portfolio of edge computing offerings that address the different ways that customers want to deploy edge computing solutions for IoT use cases.