GSMA To Showcase Mobile’s Increasing Impact on Sustainable Development During UN General Assembly Week
The GSMA will represent the global mobile industry at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) being held in New York this week, advancing the leading role the sector is playing in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Over the coming week, the GSMA will be participating in a wide range of activities with several high-profile partners and providing a critical platform for dialogue between mobile industry leaders, heads of state, global leaders and governments to further accelerate mobile’s contribution to the SDGs.
“The GSMA will be in UNGA for the third year running to demonstrate how the global mobile industry is strengthening its commitment to improving lives around the world, as we enter a critical period in the delivery of the UN’s ambitious 2030 Agenda,” said Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA. “As the leading forum for international political cooperation, UNGA give us a unique opportunity to showcase how mobile’s unprecedented global scale is connecting unconnected communities, reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, and building sustainable cities and communities.”
The GSMA and senior executives from the mobile industry will be participating at UNGA in a number of ways, including:
- SDG Media Zone: Located at UN headquarters, the SDG Media Zone is a unique space at UNGA where thought leaders, governments, civil society, businesses and celebrities from around the world will participate in live interviews, panel discussions and special events. The GSMA is a partner in the Media Zone alongside the UN Department of Public Information, the UN Foundation and the PVBLIC Foundation. Click here to see the full programme schedule.
- Impact Report: The 2018 edition of the Mobile Industry Impact report will be launched at a reception in the SDG Media Zone on Tuesday 25 September. This report measures the industry’s contribution to each of the 17 SDGs, demonstrating the significant progress made over the last three years.
- New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: The GSMA is co-hosting a session today, Monday, 24 September from 10:30 to 12:00 at UN headquarters entitled ‘New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: Business Driving Innovation for Social Good.’ This event, held in collaboration with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Trade Centre (ITC) and UNDESA, is bringing together global leaders and experts from the public and private sectors to discuss how to maximise innovation to deliver on the aspirations of the 2030 Agenda.
- Big Data for Better Lives: On Tuesday, 25 September from 07:00 to 09:00 the GSMA is co-hosting a session at UN headquarters entitled ‘Big Data for Better Lives: Mobiles, Statistics & Insights’ in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), UNICEF, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Norway. This session will feature insights from the GSMA’s Big Data for Social Good (BD4SG) initiative, which is providing real-world mobile big data solutions to respond to epidemics, disasters and environmental challenges. Demonstrations of operator mobile big data projects are taking place at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
- Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile: A networking breakfast hosted by the GSMA’s Mobile for Development team will take place on Tuesday, 25 September (08:00 to 09:30) at the SDG Media Zone. Under the theme ‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’, this session will explore how mobile solutions are transforming the lives of women and their families by providing access to energy, water, clean cooking and nutrition information, and driving women’s financial and digital inclusion.
- #CaseForChange: The GSMA is continuing the journey with more inspiring films in its #CaseForChange series, which showcase stories of mobile technology transforming lives around the world. New films showing the disaster relief work conducted by mobile operators in the aftermath of last year’s hurricane in Puerto Rico and in driving gender equality in Rwanda will be among those aired at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
Throughout the week, the GSMA will also be participating in other events held in New York by the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development, EQUALS, Concordia and the One Planet Summit, among others. GSMA Chair Sunil Bharti Mittal will also Co-Chair the WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit being held 24 – 25 September.
Get involved at UNGA
Follow the GSMA on our social media channels for all the latest updates from UNGA week. You can take part in the conversation on Twitter using the #UNGA hashtag and get all the latest images from the event on the GSMA Instagram account.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
ZT Acquires Both Mobile & IoT Messaging and Interact Business Units From NewNet18.12.2018 10:17 | Pressemelding
ZephyrTel, a division of ESW Capital focused exclusively on global telecommunications operators, is pleased to announce it has acquired the Interact and Mobile Messaging business units of NewNet Communication Technologies with immediate effect. The acquisition will integrate the Mobile Messaging, Invigorate Rating and Charging Platform and the Nimblevox Cloud IVR technology into the ZephyrTel rapidly growing Telecoms Cloud Portfolio. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181218005330/en/ ZephyrTel's CEO, Mike Shinya (Photo: Business Wire) ZephyrTel has built a world-class telecommunication Cloud software company to provide software solutions and services to the global telco industry. The company’s primary objective is to provide carrier-grade Cloud applications and Cloud enablement products. The goal being to deliver industry-leading throughput, robustness, scale and value to its customers at the pace they need. Zep
AccelStor Renews License Agreement with Login VSI18.12.2018 10:00 | Pressemelding
AccelStor, the manufacturer of award-winning all-flash arrays (AFAs), announced the multi-year renewal of the license agreement with Login VSI (www.loginvsi.com), the industry standard in VDI and SBC performance testing. Login VSI will be used in AccelStor’s R&D labs and Technical Marketing materials. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181218005030/en/ AccelStor Renews License Agreement with Login VSI (Photo: Business Wire) “We are committed to providing our VDI customers with the best possible end-user experience. This means we are 100% focused on the optimal performance and scalability of our solutions,” says Stefan Ferrari, Technical Sales Director of AccelStor. “The Login VSI software helps us build superior products and demonstrate the power of our solutions in an objective and industry standard way.” Login VSI will be used in the R&D laboratories of AccelStor in Taipei, Taiwan; Fremont, CA; and London, UK;
Ammeraal Beltech and Megadyne Group Announce Their New Merged Name18.12.2018 09:00 | Pressemelding
The two world-leading suppliers in belting technology – Ammeraal Beltech and Megadyne Group – who came together in a merger in September of this year, have taken another important step in their integration. This month, they have announced a new corporate name for their joint operations: AMMEGA. The integration of these two companies to effectively create a new belting champion spanning industrial power transmission belting and lightweight conveyor belting is ongoing, and continues apace. The new name of AMMEGA will serve principally to unite all of its employees under a common identity and corporate vision and mission. In view of their well-established reputations in their respective markets and their different channel-to-market strategies, which will remain unchanged, their two strong brand names – Ammeraal Beltech and Megadyne – will remain as is. “Ensuring continuity, especially in the way we serve our valued customers, is a top priority,” explains Marc Maisonneuve, AMMEGA’s Corpora
Belfius Selects Moody’s Analytics IFRS 17 Solution18.12.2018 08:30 | Pressemelding
Moody’s Analytics, a leading provider of financial intelligence, announced today that its technology has been selected by Belfius, a major bank insurer in Belgium. Belfius is using the Moody’s Analytics RiskIntegrity™ IFRS 17 solution to make the transition from their current insurance accounting frameworks to the new International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS 17) that becomes effective for the 2022 reporting year. The Moody’s Analytics RiskIntegrity IFRS 17 solution helps insurance entities of any size to meet the new reporting challenges. It integrates seamlessly with existing infrastructure, connecting data, models, systems, and processes between actuarial and accounting functions. “Our decision to work with Moody’s Analytics followed an extensive trial of the Moody’s Analytics RiskIntegrity IFRS 17 solution to prove it was the appropriate solution to integrate with our current actuarial and accounting systems,” said Lies Gevaert, Chief Accountant at Belfius. “We are confident
Seoul Semiconductor Obtained Permanent Injunction against Everlight’s LED Products and Recall of Such Products from German Court18.12.2018 08:00 | Pressemelding
Seoul Semiconductor Co., Ltd. (KOSDAQ:046890) (“Seoul”), a leading global innovator of LED products and technology, announced that Seoul won a patent infringement lawsuit against a global distributor of Everlight LED products in Germany. The German court issued a permanent injunction against the sales of the accused Everlight products and ordered the distributor to recall such products from commercial customers. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181218005261/en/ The Patented Technology Improving Light Intensity and Brightness (Graphic: Business Wire) In March 2017, Seoul filed a patent infringement lawsuit in Germany at the District Court of Düsseldorf against Mouser Electronic Inc, accusing the distribution of certain Everlight LED products to infringe a patent that Seoul was enforcing. After 20 months of litigation proceedings, the Court rendered judgments in favor of SSC’s infringement claims, including order
RagingWire Develops New Santa Clara SV1 Data Center in the Heart of Silicon Valley18.12.2018 00:00 | Pressemelding
RagingWire Data Centers, Inc., the premier data center provider in North America and part of the global data center platform of NTT Communications (NTT Com), the information and communications technology (ICT) solutions and international communications business within the NTT Group (TOKYO:9432), today announced that it has purchased land and has begun developing a new world-class, 16 megawatt data center “California Silicon Valley 1 (SV1) Data Center” in Santa Clara, the heart of the tech capital of the world – Silicon Valley. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181217005270/en/ Planned for availability in July 2020, RagingWire’s SV1 marks the company’s entry into the Silicon Valley region, which is widely known as the No. 2 data center market in the United States behind Ashburn, Va., in terms of commissioned power. RagingWire also has significant data center campuses in Ashburn, Va., Dallas, Texas, and Sacramento