GSMA To Showcase Mobile’s Increasing Impact on Sustainable Development During UN General Assembly Week
The GSMA will represent the global mobile industry at the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) being held in New York this week, advancing the leading role the sector is playing in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Over the coming week, the GSMA will be participating in a wide range of activities with several high-profile partners and providing a critical platform for dialogue between mobile industry leaders, heads of state, global leaders and governments to further accelerate mobile’s contribution to the SDGs.
“The GSMA will be in UNGA for the third year running to demonstrate how the global mobile industry is strengthening its commitment to improving lives around the world, as we enter a critical period in the delivery of the UN’s ambitious 2030 Agenda,” said Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA. “As the leading forum for international political cooperation, UNGA give us a unique opportunity to showcase how mobile’s unprecedented global scale is connecting unconnected communities, reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, education, financial inclusion, and building sustainable cities and communities.”
The GSMA and senior executives from the mobile industry will be participating at UNGA in a number of ways, including:
- SDG Media Zone: Located at UN headquarters, the SDG Media Zone is a unique space at UNGA where thought leaders, governments, civil society, businesses and celebrities from around the world will participate in live interviews, panel discussions and special events. The GSMA is a partner in the Media Zone alongside the UN Department of Public Information, the UN Foundation and the PVBLIC Foundation. Click here to see the full programme schedule.
- Impact Report: The 2018 edition of the Mobile Industry Impact report will be launched at a reception in the SDG Media Zone on Tuesday 25 September. This report measures the industry’s contribution to each of the 17 SDGs, demonstrating the significant progress made over the last three years.
- New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: The GSMA is co-hosting a session today, Monday, 24 September from 10:30 to 12:00 at UN headquarters entitled ‘New Technologies and Mobile Solutions for Development: Business Driving Innovation for Social Good.’ This event, held in collaboration with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Trade Centre (ITC) and UNDESA, is bringing together global leaders and experts from the public and private sectors to discuss how to maximise innovation to deliver on the aspirations of the 2030 Agenda.
- Big Data for Better Lives: On Tuesday, 25 September from 07:00 to 09:00 the GSMA is co-hosting a session at UN headquarters entitled ‘Big Data for Better Lives: Mobiles, Statistics & Insights’ in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), UNICEF, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Norway. This session will feature insights from the GSMA’s Big Data for Social Good (BD4SG) initiative, which is providing real-world mobile big data solutions to respond to epidemics, disasters and environmental challenges. Demonstrations of operator mobile big data projects are taking place at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
- Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile: A networking breakfast hosted by the GSMA’s Mobile for Development team will take place on Tuesday, 25 September (08:00 to 09:30) at the SDG Media Zone. Under the theme ‘Transforming Women’s Lives with Mobile’, this session will explore how mobile solutions are transforming the lives of women and their families by providing access to energy, water, clean cooking and nutrition information, and driving women’s financial and digital inclusion.
- #CaseForChange: The GSMA is continuing the journey with more inspiring films in its #CaseForChange series, which showcase stories of mobile technology transforming lives around the world. New films showing the disaster relief work conducted by mobile operators in the aftermath of last year’s hurricane in Puerto Rico and in driving gender equality in Rwanda will be among those aired at the SDG Media Zone during the week.
Throughout the week, the GSMA will also be participating in other events held in New York by the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development, EQUALS, Concordia and the One Planet Summit, among others. GSMA Chair Sunil Bharti Mittal will also Co-Chair the WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit being held 24 – 25 September.
Get involved at UNGA
Follow the GSMA on our social media channels for all the latest updates from UNGA week. You can take part in the conversation on Twitter using the #UNGA hashtag and get all the latest images from the event on the GSMA Instagram account.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Three Finalists Selected Following GA-ASI’s Blue Magic Belgium Event15.6.2019 11:00:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Three finalists have been selected from GA-ASI’s Blue Magic Belgium event with the goal of supporting GA-ASI and the development of MQ-9B SkyGuardian Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) for Belgium. The three Belgian companies selected are AIRobot, ALX Systems, and Hexagon. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190615005003/en/ "We were very impressed by the many talented companies and particularly by the innovative concepts presented by these three finalists," said Linden Blue, CEO, GA-ASI. (Photo: Business Wire) AIRobot, a company based at DronePort in Sint Truiden, Belgium, focuses on developing drone performance equipment for easy, precise and safe professional operations, while specializing in Artificial Intelligence (AI) for processing hyper-spectral imagery. ALX Systems is an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) solution provider based in Liège, Belgium and specializing in AI for processing Full Motion Video. Hexagon’s
World’s First E-Money License for Blockchains Issued to Monerium15.6.2019 08:35:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Monerium ehf. has received a license from the Financial Supervisory Authority of Iceland to issue e-money on blockchains through its subsidiary, Monerium EMI ehf. The full license is the world’s first e-money license for blockchains issued under EU e-money regulations. The license is passportable within the largest global economic zone, the European Economic Area, and to external jurisdictions subject to regulatory approval and destination country regulations. Designed as a digital alternative to cash, e-money is a proven framework for digital fiat currency already in use for pre-paid cards and mobile wallets. By issuing e-money on blockchains, Monerium removes the need for intermediaries and provides the ability to automate financial transactions in many sectors, including payments, trade finance, securities settlement, and ecommerce. At the same time, e-money on blockchains extends Satoshi Nakamoto’s vision of online peer-to-peer currency transactions to a regulated form of digital f
Mattel® Unveils Hot Wheels™ id, Groundbreaking New Play System Bringing Together Physical and Digital Play, Available Exclusively at Apple.com, Select Apple Stores and on the App Store14.6.2019 13:00:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) today announced the launch of Hot Wheels id, the evolution of the beloved brand that generations of kids have played with to ignite their challenger spirit. Through innovative vehicle play, Hot Wheels id brings together physical and digital in a Mixed Play experience with uniquely identifiable vehicles, a smart Race Portal, Smart Track, and digital hub, so you can build your personalized fleet, measure your performance, and compete like never before. Hot Wheels id is available starting June 14th exclusively at Apple.com, select Apple stores and on the App Store. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190614005084/en/ Hot Wheels Race Portal™ scans your Hot Wheels id vehicles into the app, tracks speed and counts laps via infrared sensors, and easily connects with your classic Hot Wheels track. (Photo: Business Wire) For the first time in history, kids can scan their Hot Wheels id cars digita
S BLOCK Co-host With World Blockchain Forum Singapore & World Blockchain Award Asia14.6.2019 12:45:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Asia's highly anticipated blockchain event World Blockchain Forum · Singapore & World Blockchain Award · Asia will be held on June 22-23, 2019 at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. The conference will bring together more than 4,000 global elites from government, associations, regulatory agencies, investment institutions, blockchain project parties, financial technology, and media to discuss industry trends and innovations, jointly recognizing industry pioneers and contributions to promote the industry and achieve healthy and rapid development! The World Blockchain Forum Singapore & World Blockchain Award Asia will be co-hosted by S BLOCK. As a fast-growing digital asset management platform, S BLOCK was developed for the blockchain industry. This rapidly growing platform aims to serve the digital financial ecosystem and aims to commercialize by the end of 2019. The slogan of S BLOCK is “unleash your digital asset.” The platform also provides investors access to mainstream cryptocurrenci
Janssen Reports Top-Line Phase 3 Results for TREMFYA® (guselkumab) in Adults with Active Psoriatic Arthritis14.6.2019 11:39:00 CEST | Pressemelding
The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson today announced top-line results from the Phase 3 DISCOVER 1 and 2 studies, which evaluated the efficacy and safety of guselkumab compared to placebo in adult patients with active moderate to severe psoriatic arthritis (PsA). Both studies met their primary endpoints of American College of Rheumatology 20% improvement (ACR20), and the safety profiles observed for guselkumab in the DISCOVER programme were consistent with previous studies of guselkumab and current prescribing information.1 The DISCOVER programme comprises the first-ever Phase 3 studies evaluating an IL-23 p19 inhibitor for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis, and data will be presented at upcoming scientific medical meetings. Data from the two DISCOVER studies will serve as the basis of submissions to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Medicines Agency seeking approval of guselkumab as a treatment for psoriatic arthritis, which are anticipated for
Velodyne Features Advanced Lidar for Port Terminal Automation at TOC Europe14.6.2019 10:00:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Stand A50) will demonstrate how its smart, powerful lidar solutions can advance port terminal automation at TOC Europe in Rotterdam, 18-20 June. Velodyne will highlight customer applications that show how its lidar sensors can be used in crane steering, container handling, internal terminal vehicles (ITV), automated guided vehicles (AGV), forklifts, and terminal security/yard monitoring systems. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190614005040/en/ DGWorld solutions demonstrate how Velodyne’s intelligent lidar sensors are helping port and terminal operators deliver consistent service quality and achieve increased safety. (Photo: Business Wire) DGWorld (Stand B21A), a Dubai-based Velodyne integrator, will showcase autonomous taxis, ITVs, AGVs, and terminal operation vehicles that use Velodyne lidar sensors to run autonomously. These vehicles use advanced artificial intelligence (AI), automation