Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Gunvor Closes Innovative US $745 Million Facility Linked to Sustainability Targets15.10.2018 12:00 | Pressemelding
Related savings will go to support new Gunvor Foundation GENEVA, Oct. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gunvor Group (“Gunvor”) has closed an innovative US $745 million secured borrowing base facility (“Facility”) that includes performance commitments related to Gunvor’s sustainability targets. Gunvor is the first energy commodities trading company to close a financing in which the interest rate will be dependent on the company’s year-on-year improvements in areas such as transparency, governance and the environment. The Facility, originally launched at US $625 million in 2012, was a renewal to provide for the working capital requirements of the company’s Antwerp and Rotterdam refineries. It was significantly oversubscribed to US $745 million through the addition of new lenders. The Facility was arranged by ING Bank, who acted as sole Coordinator and Active Bookrunner while maintaining its roles as Security Agent, Facility Agent and Fronting Bank. The structure for the sustainability target
Nasdaq Launches ESG futures in the Nordics15.10.2018 10:00 | Pressemelding
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Oct. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nasdaq (Nasdaq: NDAQ) today announced the launch of futures based on the recently launched OMXS30 ESG Responsible index (OMXS30ESG). The product is the first exchange listed and ESG compliant index future in the world. “In recent years we have seen institutions increase efforts to integrate sustainability into their investment strategies, with the Nordic region being in the forefront of this trend,” says Alessandro Romani, Head of European Equity Derivatives at Nasdaq. “Those looking to invest in a more sustainable way need more investment products based on established and liquid indexes. Our existing OMXS30 index future contract is among the most traded in Europe and we expect to see the same interest for the ESG version.” The OMXS30ESG Index was developed in cooperation with a number of leading Nordic asset managers, including Swedbank Robur. “At Swedbank, innovation and constant development are an important part of the business, a
Telix and ANMI Expand PSMA Imaging Partnership15.10.2018 00:00 | Pressemelding
MELBOURNE, Australia and LIÈGE, Belgium, Oct. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Telix Pharmaceuticals Limited (ASX.TLX) (“Telix”, the “Company”), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of diagnostic and therapeutic products based on targeted radiopharmaceuticals or “molecularly-targeted radiation” (MTR), today announced that it has expanded its partnership with Advanced Nuclear Medicine Ingredients SA (“ANMI”) for the 68Ga-HBED-CC-PSMA-11 (68Ga-PSMA) cold kit. The 68Ga-PSMA kit is developed by ANMI and commercialized by Telix for the US market where it is marketed as illumetTM . In response to considerable clinical interest in the illumetTM product, Telix has commenced scale-up manufacturing in the United States, following the recent filing of a drug master file (DMF) and the launch of several major clinical trials using the product, including the 750 patient VISION phase III trial (Endocyte, Inc.) and a 500-patient phase II study at Memorial Sloan Kettering C
Brookfield Asset Management 2018 Third Quarter Results Conference Call And Webcast12.10.2018 15:33 | Pressemelding
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2018 Time: 11:00 a.m. (Eastern Time) BROOKFIELD, NEWS, Oct. 12, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Brookfield Asset Management (NYSE:BAM)(TSX:BAM.A)(EURONEXT AMSTERDAM:BAMA): Third Quarter Conference Call You are invited to participate in Brookfield Asset Management’s 2018 Third Quarter Conference Call & Webcast on Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. (Eastern Time) to discuss with members of senior management our results and current business initiatives. These results will be released on November 8th before 7:00 a.m. (Eastern Time) and will be available following the release on our website at www.brookfield.com “News – Press Releases.” The Conference Call will also be Webcast live on our website, where it will be archived for future reference. To participate in the Conference Call, please dial (877) 255-3077 toll free in North America, or for overseas calls please dial (647) 252-4453 at approximately 10:50 a.m. The Conference Call will also be Webcast live at htt
Wasabi to Open its First European Data Center in Amsterdam11.10.2018 18:17 | Pressemelding
Provides Hot Cloud Storage Service for European Markets While Expanding Global Presence Boston, Oct. 11, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Wasabi, the hot cloud storage company, today announces plans to open its first European data center in Amsterdam, NL this coming December. With the addition of its latest data center, Wasabi will make its international debut by offering EU markets the lowest cost, highest performance cloud storage service available, now with very low latency for European customers. Wasabi’s hot cloud storage service enables companies to store their data at one-fifth the cost and 6x the speed of Amazon S3 with no additional egress fees. Wasabi customers will have more connectivity options, additional data center redundancy, automatic data replication and failover services, and faster speeds with close proximity to their own data centers. With its newest data center opening, Wasabi enables high-speed exchange between Wasabi storage and customer compute resources with multiple
SIMEX reduces trading commissions11.10.2018 16:50 | Pressemelding
American Retail Group Inc. (aka Simex Inc.) the public corporation organized in the State of Nevada, USA LAS VEGAS, Oct. 11, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (OTC: ARGB) -- SIMEX Inc. announces reducing trading commissions. Current trading commissions are set to 0.1% for both sides maker/taker which is 50% lower than before. Vassili Oxenuk, the President of SIMEX, said: "By reducing trading commissions we become more attractive to traders on the digital assets market." Trading commissions can be even reduced to 0%. SMX Token allows you to reduce the commissions when trading on the SIMEX Exchange. Commissions rate depending on the balance of the user's account*: 1 000 SMX: 0.075% Maker / 0.075% Taker. 5 000 SMX: 0.05% Maker / 0.05% Taker. 10 000 SMX: 0% Maker / 0% Taker. Contact information: Email: email@example.com Headquarters: 2300 West Sahara, Office 400, Las Vegas, 89102
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom