Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
ThalesNano Energy Introduces H-Genie™: Revolutionary Compact, High Pressure Hydrogen Gas Generation Platform for Chemists17.8.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Improves safety, expands chemistry, saves lives. BUDAPEST, Hungary and BOSTON, Aug. 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ThalesNano Energy LLC today announced, at the 256th ACS conference (booth: 1615), the launch of the first in the series of revolutionary new gas generators, the H-Genie™. The H-Genie™ is a compact high pressure hydrogen generator designed to be used in any laboratory as a safer and simpler alternative to hydrogen cylinders. Capable of generating hydrogen at up to 1 NL/min and 100 bar (1450 psi), the system can help expand chemists’ limited hydrogenation chemistry capability by providing high purity hydrogen gas, on demand from water, to batch and flow reactors. Neal Langerman, Principal Scientist at Advanced Chemical Safety, comments: “The presence of cylinders of hydrogen raises the risk level of a lab. While the explosion or fire hazard can be mitigated with a gas cylinder cabinet, this takes precious floor space and does not eliminate the 1300 liters of flammable gas from
PayByPhone Supports Additional Languages16.8.2018 19:47 | Pressemelding
Drivers can now use the app in Spanish and Chinese VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Aug. 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Drivers who pay for their parking with the PayByPhone app can now use the app in Spanish, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese. Later this year, the leading mobile parking payment service will also be available in Punjabi. The support of multiple languages increases PayByPhone’s usability for its diverse consumer base, who are located across North America, Europe, and Australia. To gain access to the newly supported languages within PayByPhone, drivers can simply download the latest version of the app and set their iOS or Android device to their preferred language. “We’re excited to have expanded our language offerings beyond English and French,” said Barrie Arnold, Chief Commercial Officer, PayByPhone North America. “PayByPhone is available in many multicultural cities worldwide, and this update improves the app’s accessibility. PayByPhone has gained a global presen
Global Dairy Platform Announces Dairy Farmers of America CEO Rick Smith as New Board Chair16.8.2018 17:52 | Pressemelding
ROSEMONT, Ill., Aug. 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Global Dairy Platform (GDP), a pre-competitive collaboration of dairy sector organizations focused on encouraging the appropriate intake of nutrient-rich dairy foods and demonstrating the sector’s role in sustainable agriculture, today announced the appointment of Rick Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer of Dairy Farmers of America as Chair of the Board of Directors. “It is truly an honor to serve as Chair of GDP’s Board of Directors,” noted Mr. Smith. “We are facing global food and health challenges that need short and long-term solutions. The work of GDP creates an avenue for collaborative action that demonstrates dairy’s valuable contribution to global food systems, healthy diets and sustainable livelihoods.” Mr. Smith will serve on the board along with Fonterra Co-operative Group Chief Executive Officer Mr. Miles Hurrell; China Mengniu Dairy Company Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer Mr. Minfang (Jeffery) Lu; Ro
GridGain Systems Named to Inc. 500 List of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies for Second Consecutive Year16.8.2018 09:00 | Pressemelding
GridGain Ranks 17th among Software Companies, 13th in San Francisco Metro Area FOSTER CITY, Calif., Aug. 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GridGain Systems, provider of enterprise-grade in-memory computing solutions based on Apache® Ignite™, today announced it has been named to the 37th annual Inc. 500 list, a highly regarded ranking of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies. This is the second year in a row GridGain has been named to the list. GridGain’s rank of 158 on this year’s Inc. 500 list is up from number 187 last year. The company is ranked 17th among software companies, 13th in the San Francisco metro area, and 37th in the state of California. The Inc. 500 represents a unique look at the most successful companies within the American economy’s most dynamic segment – its independent small and midsized businesses. GridGain provides an in-memory computing platform that delivers speed, scale and high availability to data-intensive applications. Built on a memory-centric archite
Perceptyx Named One of America’s Fastest Growing Companies for the 4th Consecutive Year16.8.2018 05:37 | Pressemelding
INC 5000 award recognizes Perceptyx’s continued innovation and partnership with many of the world’s best companies SAN DIEGO, Aug. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- For the 4th consecutive year, Perceptyx has made the prestigious INC 5000 list of America’s fastest growing private companies. A recognized leader in people analytics, Perceptyx specializes in facilitating organizational change through the strategic use of employee surveys and management consulting. Longtime partners with many of the world's largest organizations, Perceptyx is uniquely capable of delivering insights across heavily distributed organizations with complex hierarchies in a way that’s as unique as an organization’s culture and brand. “We’re proud to be recognized among America’s fastest growing companies again,” says John Borland, Co-founder and CEO of Perceptyx. “We believe that our clients are the real heroes of their organizations. It has been our honor to help so many of the world’s best companies realize their g
Bombardier Establishes Automatic Securities Disposition Plan15.8.2018 22:48 | Pressemelding
Not for distribution to U.S. news wire services or public dissemination in the United States Plan permits sales of vested shares earned by certain senior executives in accordance with predetermined instructions Plan reinforces the incentive effect of performance-based compensation by allowing for the sale of shares on the open market over a period of up to two years at prevailing market prices, regardless of any subsequent material non-public information participants may receive Plan participants must satisfy Bombardier’s minimum stock ownership guidelines for senior executives MONTRÉAL, Aug. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bombardier announced today that it has established an automatic securities disposition plan (“ASDP”) in accordance with applicable Canadian provincial securities legislation. The ASDP allows for the exercise and sale of vested securities earned by certain senior executives of Bombardier as part of their overall performance-based compensation. Under Canadian securities
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom