Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
SEMAFO Mourns Passing of Board Chairman Jean Lamarre23.11.2017 22:01 | Pressemelding
MONTREAL, Nov. 23, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SEMAFO (TSX:SMF) (OMX:SMF) announces with sadness the passing of Mr. Jean Lamarre, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Corporation, on November 22, 2017 following a short illness. Mr. Lamarre joined the Corporation's Board of Directors in 1997 and was appointed Chairman of the Board in 2000, a position he held until his demise. "Jean made an indelible mark on SEMAFO, both in terms of his corporate governance expertise and his 45 years of experience in Africa," said President and CEO Benoit Desormeaux. "Over his 20-year tenure with SEMAFO, he brought unique insight, business acumen and leadership to the Corporation as it transitioned from an exploration company to a junior gold producer. He did this, always without compromising his values: the integrity of the Corporation, his deep love for Africa and its people, and his priority to SEMAFO's long-term sustainability. On behalf of SEMAFO's Board of Directors, management and employe
Premier to join industry leaders at BDA London forum23.11.2017 21:39 | Pressemelding
HAMILTON, Bermuda, Nov. 23, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Premier David Burt will join more than two-dozen Bermuda executives in a multi-industry forum being held in London next week to showcase the breadth of expertise and advantages offered by the island's global business market. A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/78c5ac53-07f7-4dd8-83e0-753ea5b4c80b Organised by the Bermuda Business Development Agency (BDA), the one-day event Tuesday, November 28 at ME London has attracted over 200 registrants. It will feature top regulatory and industry leaders in moderated discussion panels covering re/insurance, captive insurance, insurance-linked securities, asset management, family offices, and trust and private-client business. A networking reception will wrap the event in the evening. "The government supports the Bermuda Business Development Agency in this awareness-raising event that offers such gre
Crown Bioscience and Data Sciences International (DSI) Partner to Advance Metabolic Disease Research Using an Implanted Telemetry Device for Long-Term Blood Glucose Monitoring23.11.2017 14:00 | Pressemelding
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 23, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Crown Bioscience, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Crown Bioscience International (TWSE: ticker 6554) and a global drug discovery and development services company providing translational platforms to advance oncology, inflammation cardiovascular and metabolic disease research, announces the successful development of an enhanced method for preclinical obesity and type 2 diabetes studies in partnership with Data Sciences International (DSI). Crown Bioscience's clinically relevant models and DSI's HD-XG implantable glucose device combine to create a superior approach to preclinical metabolic disease research. Recently published work in the Journal of Endocrinological Investigation and Nature's Scientific Reports demonstrates the advantages of a new method using DSI's HD-XG implantable glucose device and Crown Bioscience's models of spontaneous and diet-induced diabetes. The HD-XG device allows for continuous, long-term measurement
Euroloan Opens New Market in Spain23.11.2017 11:10 | Pressemelding
Helsinki, Finland, 2017-11-23 11:10 CET (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to James Hickson, CEO of Euroloan Group, initiating services in the Spanish market is a key step in the expansion strategy of the Fintech group. “We have seen a growing demand for easy payment solutions in several markets, and the Spanish market in particular offers a massive opportunity for growth with Euroloan’s advanced payment and credit solutions. Merchants and Consumers appreciate our simple, fast and efficient services. It’s all about making their life easier. Consistent with our strategy, we have identified a number of partners to accelerate our market entry approach and expect to be providing our lending and merchant solutions by the end of the 1Q 2018” The Group is now present in five countries in Europe, including Finland, Sweden, Poland, Luxembourg and Spain. “Euroloan aims to open up several additional new markets”, says Tommi Lindfors, Chairman of the Board of Euroloan Group. “Spain is an importan
BDA partners with government to attract cryptocurrency23.11.2017 06:25 | Pressemelding
HAMILTON, Bermuda, Nov. 23, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Bermuda Business Development Agency (BDA) will take a lead role in an initiative launched by the Bermuda government today to accelerate the establishment and growth of digital currency business on the island. A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/457f43b9-d7bb-48f1-83e2-b856b33ebacc At a press conference held by Premier the Hon David Burt and National Security Minister the Hon Wayne Caines, the government announced the formation of a task force comprising two teams to advance Bermuda's regulatory environment as a destination for utility tokens, tokenised securities, cryptocurrencies, and coin offerings. BDA Consultant for Emerging Technologies John Narraway was named as chair of the Blockchain Business Development Working Group, while BDA Board member Lydia Dickens will chair the Blockchain Legal and Regulatory Working Group, of which
VistaJet Partners With Christie's for the Global Tour of The Collection of Peggy and David Rockefeller22.11.2017 11:39 | Pressemelding
The sale will be the most significant philanthropic auction ever presented LONDON, Nov. 22, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- VistaJet, the first and only global private aviation company, announces today its worldwide sponsorship of the exhibition and tour of The Collection of Peggy and David Rockefeller, the most significant auction entirely dedicated to raising funds for philanthropic causes. The sale, consisting of numerous categories, will be conducted by Christie's, the world's leading art business, and will include a highlights exhibition tour in Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles and New York. Photos accompanying this announcement are available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/c78fdce7-7651-42a8-a621-14088da2cc86 http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/33af2489-a9a8-4bbe-b5f7-78e4c1f29ca2 http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/a16c2
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom