Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
GlobeNewswire Test Release26.5.2018 07:00 | Pressemelding
LOS ANGELES, May 25, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- This is a test from GlobeNewswire. Readers are advised to disregard. TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING – -END- CONTACT: Karen Yu Director, GlobeNewswire Product Management Direct: +1 310 258 6917 Mobile: +1 626 389 7427 or Magali Rolandez Senior Manager, Media Relations/Content Distribution Europe Direct: +44 (0) 203 753 2215 Mobile: +44 (0) 7785 619 539
Medibio Corporate Health Extends Global Footprint Signing Contract with Jacobs Engineering25.5.2018 16:38 | Pressemelding
Jacobs, one of the world's largest engineering and environmental consultancy groups, has more than 70,000 employees globally SYDNEY, Australia and MINNEAPOLIS, May 25, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Medibio Limited (MEB or the Company) (ASX:MEB) (OTCQB:MDBIF), a mental health technology company, today announced a significant contract for Medibio's Corporate Health product with Dallas, TX-based Jacobs Engineering across their Asia Pacific, Middle East, and European divisions. Through the Mental Health Check-In, companies can offer employees an end-to-end mental health program, direct to their devices, to see how the mind and body are tracking. It's a personalized, private, and objective way to see the unseeable: mental health issues in the workplace. Employees are provided the opportunity to confidentially check-in on their mental health and receive personalized confidential results from both an objective biometric screening in conjunction with a 12-minute subjective survey. Employers receive
VIRGIN PULSE ANNOUNCES INDUSTRY-LEADING GDPR COMPLIANCE25.5.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
Virgin Pulse Extends the GDPR's Strong Data Privacy Rights to All Clients and Members Across the Globe PROVIDENCE, R.I., May 25, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Virgin Pulse, the leading global provider of digital employee health, wellbeing and engagement solutions, today announced that it has achieved compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for the Virgin Pulse platform. The company has also appointed Associate Counsel Beatrice Botti as Data Protection Officer (DPO) to oversee the Virgin Pulse privacy program. With this achievement, Virgin Pulse leads the market as the first company in the wellbeing and engagement industry to fully meet the comprehensive standards of the new GDPR data privacy law. The company has completed a thorough review of its internal data collection, storage and handling processes and implemented enhancements to achieve GDPR compliance and give all Virgin Pulse customers and members greater control over their personal data. The GDPR is the firs
Resverlogix Provides Unrestricted Educational Grant for Epigenetic Symposium at International Renal Congress25.5.2018 07:45 | Pressemelding
CALGARY, Alberta, May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Resverlogix Corp. ("Resverlogix" or the "Company") (TSX:RVX) today announced that on Friday, May 25, 2018, at the European Renal Association - European Dialysis and Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA) Congress in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Company is supporting a symposium titled: "Epigenetics in CKD & CVD: A potential breakthrough therapy?" The symposium highlights the role of epigenetics and BET-inhibition in chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular disease, especially in patients with diabetes mellitus, and the significant unmet need that still exists in this patient population. The symposium is co-chaired by Vincent M. Brandenburg, MD - Nephrologist, Aachen, Germany and Kamyar Kalantar-Zadeh, MD - UC Irvine School of Medicine, Irvine, CA, USA, both leading scientists also serving as advisors to Resverlogix's Renal program. The speakers and agenda are as follows: Introduction Vincent M. Brandenburg, MD - University Hospital of the RWTH
Atico Reports Consolidated Financial Results for the First Quarter of 201824.5.2018 22:30 | Pressemelding
(All amounts expressed in US dollars, unless otherwise stated) VANCOUVER, British Columbia, May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Atico Mining Corporation (the "Company" or "Atico") (TSX.V:ATY) (OTC:ATCMF) today announced its financial results for the three months ended March 31, 2018, posting a net income of $0.4 million. Fernando E. Ganoza, CEO and Director, commented, "The strong production and all-in sustaining cash cost of $1.85 achieved this quarter is not reflected in the financial results as a large concentrate shipment was delayed to the second quarter, along with the revenue associated with those tonnes. The shipping schedule is expected to stabilize during the second quarter, where we will then benefit from the additional shipped concentrate and recognized revenue. We anticipate strong financial results in the next quarter." Mr. Ganoza continued, "Our emphasis will continue to be on further strengthening our balance sheet, improving production costs and most importantly regional
Luxembourg Announced as SNOMED International's Newest Member24.5.2018 15:16 | Pressemelding
London, United Kingdom, May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SNOMED International and Agence eSanté Luxembourg are pleased to announce that Luxembourg has joined the organization as its thirty-second Member. Luxembourg, one of the leading nations in the area of information and communication technology, has set the development of eHealth technologies as a high priority. Agence eSanté, Luxembourg's national agency for the exchange and sharing of medical data, has set an overall mission to facilitate clinical information exchange both within Luxembourg and across other international actors. To work towards this reality, the agency has taken part in discussions about standardization across Europe, a contributing building block achieved with its membership in SNOMED International. With their membership, Agence eSanté has committed their support for the use of structured clinical terminology. When applied to the health sector, interoperability ensures that information systems, and through them h
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom