Visa Announces Team Visa Roster for the Upcoming Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
Visa (NYSE:V) today announced its global Team Visa roster for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, comprised of over 40 Olympians and Paralympians from 17 countries, including Mikaela Shiffrin (USA), Chloe Kim (USA), Mark McMorris (Canada), Gus Kenworthy (USA), Oksana Masters (USA), Lee, Sang Hwa (South Korea), Kamil Stoch (Poland), and Hilary Knight (USA). This team of Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls represent a diverse group of individuals representing a range of sports, from snowboarding and speed skating to ski jumping and figure skating.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170920005473/en/
Visa is excited to announce the #TeamVisa roster of athletes who are going for gold at #PyeongChang2018. (Photo: Business Wire)
A global Olympic partner for more than 30 years and Paralympic partner since 2003, Visa founded its Team Visa program in 2000, with the aim of providing athletes with the tools, resources and support they need to achieve their lifelong dreams, both on and off the field of competition, regardless of their origin or background. Today, Team Visa is unified by athletes who embody Visa’s values of acceptance, partnership and inclusion, with athletic talent matched equally by their character.
“We are excited to welcome all of our Olympic and Paralympic athletes to Team Visa and we think this roster is the perfect embodiment of what the Visa brand stands for, as these athletes push boundaries every day in everything they do,” said Chris Curtin, chief marketing innovation and brand officer at Visa Inc. “Team Visa athletes remain at the heart of Visa and we are excited to cheer them on in their pursuit of Olympic and Paralympic Gold in PyeongChang.”
The following athletes officially joined Team Visa ahead of PyeongChang 2018:
- Mikaela Shiffrin (USA, Alpine Skiing): After making history at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 as the youngest American to win Olympic Gold in Slalom, Mikaela is looking to solidify her place in Olympic Winter Games history by winning more Olympic medals than any other female alpine skier. During PyeongChang 2018, she is determined to compete in four individual events and the team competition.
- Chloe Kim (USA, Snowboard – Halfpipe): As a 13 year-old, Chloe qualified for the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 and would have been a favorite to win Gold, but by rule was too young to compete. At the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, as a first generation Korean American, Chloe is looking to win her first Olympic Gold medal in her parents’ home country. The Southern Californian teen has quickly become the sport’s biggest star aiming to make her Olympic Winter Games mark in PyeongChang.
- Mark McMorris (Canada, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air): After a near-fatal crash in back-country British Columbia in March 2017, Mark’s determination to reach the top of the podium at PyeongChang 2018 is what is fueling his recovery to push himself beyond the limits. Given that he won bronze at Sochi 2014 just two weeks after suffering a fractured rib, Mark is determined to defy the odds once again at the Olympic Winter Games, and bring home Gold in the inaugural big air event – arguably his best event.
- Gus Kenworthy (USA, Freestyle Skiing – Slopestyle & Halfpipe): As the first openly gay action sports athlete, Gus is a trailblazer on and off the slopes. In his Olympic Winter Games debut in Sochi 2014, Gus earned a Silver medal in the inaugural slopestyle event, and has his sights set on reaching the podium in both slopestyle & halfpipe at PyeongChang 2018. Off the slopes, Gus is a major advocate for the LGBTQ community, hoping to inspire others to be confident and open about their sexuality.
- Lee, Sang Hwa (South Korea, Speed Skating): As a two-time Gold medalist, Lee, Sang Hwa is always pushing past her own limits on and off the ice. She was inspired to skate by her brother, but her parents could only afford to support one child in pursuit of the Olympic Winter Games dream, driving her to work harder to push past her personal boundaries. In 2018, Sang Hwa hopes to do what only one other Olympian has done – win a Gold medal in three consecutive Olympic Winter Games. With PyeongChang 2018 being held on her own turf, she is inspired more than ever to reach the top of the podium.
- Kamil Stoch (Poland, Ski Jumping): Born and raised in Zakopane, a Polish ski resort, Kamil Stoch learned to ski when he was three years old, and started jumping just one year later. By the time he was sixteen, Stoch made his World Cup debut and two years later he competed in his first Olympic Winter Games. At Sochi 2014, Stoch won two individual Golds, making him the third ski jumper in history to win both individual events.
- Oksana Masters (USA, Para cross-country skiing & Para biathlon): Oksana was born with complications that later were linked to nuclear radiation exposure and she was given up for adoption at a Ukrainian orphanage. Needless to say, the now three-time Paralympian has been defying all odds since birth. Oksana has three Paralympic medals under her belt (2 Bronze and 1 Silver), and is hungry for her first Gold at PyeongChang 2018. She’s also hoping to make history. After missing the medal podium by 3 seconds in 2014, Oksana is aiming to be the first US athlete at the Olympic or Paralympic Winter Games to medal in Biathlon.
- Hilary Knight (USA, Ice Hockey): Hilary was a member of the United States Women’s Ice Hockey Team that won Silver medals at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 and Vancouver 2010, and is hoping to bring home her first Gold at PyeongChang 2018. Off the ice, Hilary is a leading advocate in the fight for equal compensation for female ice hockey players and also made history in 2014 when she became the first female skater (non-goalie) to practice with an NHL team.
Additional Team Visa athletes from around the globe include:
(USA, Ski Jumping), Maggie Voisin (USA, Freestyle Skiing –
Slopestyle), David Wise (USA, Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe), Jamie
Anderson (USA, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Travis
Gerrits (Canada, Freestyle Skiing – Aerials), Charles Hamelin
(Canada, Short Track Speed Skating), Mac Marcoux (Canada, Para
alpine skiing), Scott Moir (Canada, Figure Skating), Spencer
O’Brien (Canada, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Tessa
Virtue (Canada, Figure Skating)
- Not Competing: Meryl Davis (USA, Figure Skating), Charlie White (USA, Figure Skating)
- Retired: Angela Ruggiero (USA, Ice Hockey)
- Asia: Park, Seung Hi (South Korea, Speed Skating), Beibei Chu (China, Para cross-country skiing), Han Cong (China, Figure Skating), Sui Wenjing (China, Figure Skating), Han Tianyu (China, Short Track Speed Skating), Zhang Yiwei (China, Snowboard – Halfpipe), Sara Takanashi (Japan, Ski Jumping), Noriaki Kasai (Japan, Ski Jumping), Park, Caroline (South Korea, Ice Hockey), Lee, Sang Ho (South Korea, Snowboard – Parallel Slalom), Lim, Hyo Jun (South Korea, Short Track Speed Skating), Jung, Seung Hwan (South Korea, Para ice hockey) , Michael Christian Martinez (Philippines, Figure Skating)
- Europe: Ester Ledecka (Czech Republic, Alpine Skiing & Snowboard – Parallel Slalom), Roope Tonteri (Finland, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Elise Christie (Great Britain, Short Track Speed Skating), Billy Morgan (Great Britain, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Peter Fill (Italy, Alpine Skiing), Marcus Kleveland (Norway, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Maxim Trankov (Russia, Figure Skating), Tatiana Volosozhar (Russia, Figure Skating), Stina Nilsson (Sweden, Cross-Country Skiing), Patrick Burgener (Switzerland, Snowboard – Halfpipe)
- Africa: Brolin Mawejje (Uganda, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air)
- South America: Dominique Ohaco (Chile, Freestyle Skiing – Slopestyle)
Tickets are currently available for purchase directly through the PyeongChang 2018 ticketing website for residents of Korea (including registered Non-Koreans residing in Korea) or through PyeongChang 2018’s Authorized Ticket Resellers for international residents. Starting from November, tickets will also be available on sale at outlets and main ticket centers in Korea. For more information on PyeongChang 2018 tickets, please visit: https://tickets.pyeongchang2018.com/
For additional information on Team Visa, follow along at @VisaNews on Twitter and visit www.visa.com.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit usa.visa.com/aboutvisa, visacorporate.tumblr.com and @VisaNews.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
OTEZLA® (Apremilast) Phase III Data Showed Significant Improvements in Patients with Active Behçet’s Disease with Oral Ulcers17.2.2018 21:00 | Pressemelding
Celgene Corporation (NASDAQ:CELG) today announced that data from the phase III RELIEF™ clinical trial of OTEZLA® (apremilast) in patients with active Behçet’s Disease with oral ulcers were presented in a late-breaking oral presentation at the 2018 American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting. The results showed statistically significant reductions in oral ulcers with apremilast 30 mg twice daily (BID) versus placebo through week 12. OTEZLA (apremilast) is Celgene’s oral selective inhibitor of phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4). Behçet’s Disease is a rare, chronic, multi-system inflammatory syndrome. Oral ulcers, the most common manifestation of Behçet’s Disease, can be disabling and have a substantial effect on quality of life. This study primarily evaluated the effect of apremilast on recurring oral ulcers in patients with active Behçet’s Disease who were previously treated with at least one topical or systemic medication. “Reducing oral ulcers, which are painful and can negatively im
CT-P13 (biosimilar infliximab) is comparable to reference infliximab and adalimumab in highly anticipated real-world study17.2.2018 08:00 | Pressemelding
Twelve-month data from the Personalised Anti-TNF therapy in Crohn’s disease Study (PANTS) was presented at the 13th Congress of the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO). The results indicate that the clinical effectiveness, safety and immunogenicity of Celltrion Healthcare’s CT-P13 (biosimilar infliximab) in patients with Crohn’s disease (CD) is comparable to those treated with reference infliximab as well as those treated with adalimumab.1 The UK-wide, three-year prospective observational study investigated primary non-response (PNR), loss of response (LOR) and adverse drug reactions (ADR) to infliximab (reference infliximab and CT-P13) and adalimumab in 1610 CD patients. The data show comparable efficacy between CT-P13, reference infliximab and adalimumab in relation to PNR, LOR and ADR rates. In addition, at week 54, the remission rate was 39.7%, 39.0% and 32.7% for reference infliximab, CT-P13 and adalimumab treated patients, respectively.1 The PANTS study investigates
Avanti Communications HYLAS 4 Satellite Arrives in French Guiana16.2.2018 18:26 | Pressemelding
Avanti Communications Group plc (“Avanti”), a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (“EMEA”), announces its HYLAS 4 satellite has arrived safely in French Guiana ahead of its March 2018 launch. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180216005586/en/ Avanti Communications HYLAS 4 Satellite Arrives in French Guiana (Photo: Business Wire) The spacecraft, built by Orbital ATK was packed and shipped at their Satellite Manufacturing Facility in Dulles, Virginia, United States and flown to French Guiana, where it was unloaded and will be taken to the Arianespace launch facilities in Kourou. HYLAS 4 uses the latest High Throughput Satellite technology, doubling Avanti's Ka-band capacity across EMEA. The latest addition to Avanti's HYLAS fleet will provide: Backhaul services for mobile network operators Wholesale broadband for ISPs Connectivity for governments (civil a
General Cable Corporation Stockholders Approve Acquisition By Prysmian Group16.2.2018 17:05 | Pressemelding
General Cable Corporation (NYSE: BGC) today announced the voting results from the Company’s special meeting of stockholders held this morning. Stockholders of General Cable approved the Company’s previously announced acquisition by Prysmian Group (BIT: PRY) for $30.00 per share in cash. A total of 38,140,754 shares, representing approximately 75.34% of the total number of shares of common stock outstanding and approximately 99% of the total votes cast, were voted in favor of the merger. Subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions, the transaction is expected to close by the third quarter of 2018. About General Cable General Cable (NYSE:BGC), with headquarters in Highland Heights, Kentucky, is a global leader in the development, design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of aluminum, copper and fiber optic wire and cable products for the energy, communications, automotive, industrial, construction and specialty segments. General Cable is one of the larges
Systemic Sclerosis World Congress:Inspirational Patient Stories Reveal the Challenging Realities of Living with Devastating Rare Disease16.2.2018 09:03 | Pressemelding
Boehringer Ingelheim today unveils a new phase of 'More Than Scleroderma: The Inside Story', and launches the new patient website www.morethanscleroderma.com. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180216005188/en/ Anna, 36, living with scleroderma (Photo: Business Wire) The global initiative highlights the importance of understanding the ‘inside story’ of each individual living with scleroderma, also known as systemic sclerosis. To coincide with the Systemic Sclerosis World Congress in Bordeaux, 15-17 February 2018, new and truly inspiring patient stories are revealed, reflecting the real-life, diverse and very moving journeys of people living with scleroderma across the world. The campaign will also be launched in the U.S. The new website www.morethanscleroderma.com features a powerful collection of photographs and video stories of people living with scleroderma across the world, revealing the life-changing impact o
Philip Morris International Recognized as a Global Top Employer for the Second Year in a Row16.2.2018 08:00 | Pressemelding
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) (NYSE/Euronext Paris: PM) today is recognized for the second year in a row as a Global Top Employer. This year’s certification from the Top Employer Institute is awarded to PMI teams in 44 countries, a testament to the company’s consistency and excellence in offering an enriching and dynamic work environment, and exceptional development opportunities for employees across the globe. PMI has been recognized by the Top Employer Institute for six consecutive years. This year, PMI was awarded with five regional certifications in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and, for the first time, in North America and Latin America. Additionally, Indonesia was the first PMI affiliate to be certified in Asia. “It is a proud moment for all of us at PMI,” said Charles Bendotti, PMI Senior Vice President, People and Culture. “Our success as a company relies on the men and women who come to work every day with a passion to achieve, and a willingness to learn, grow, and