Visa Announces Team Visa Roster for the Upcoming Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
Visa (NYSE:V) today announced its global Team Visa roster for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, comprised of over 40 Olympians and Paralympians from 17 countries, including Mikaela Shiffrin (USA), Chloe Kim (USA), Mark McMorris (Canada), Gus Kenworthy (USA), Oksana Masters (USA), Lee, Sang Hwa (South Korea), Kamil Stoch (Poland), and Hilary Knight (USA). This team of Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls represent a diverse group of individuals representing a range of sports, from snowboarding and speed skating to ski jumping and figure skating.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170920005473/en/
Visa is excited to announce the #TeamVisa roster of athletes who are going for gold at #PyeongChang2018. (Photo: Business Wire)
A global Olympic partner for more than 30 years and Paralympic partner since 2003, Visa founded its Team Visa program in 2000, with the aim of providing athletes with the tools, resources and support they need to achieve their lifelong dreams, both on and off the field of competition, regardless of their origin or background. Today, Team Visa is unified by athletes who embody Visa’s values of acceptance, partnership and inclusion, with athletic talent matched equally by their character.
“We are excited to welcome all of our Olympic and Paralympic athletes to Team Visa and we think this roster is the perfect embodiment of what the Visa brand stands for, as these athletes push boundaries every day in everything they do,” said Chris Curtin, chief marketing innovation and brand officer at Visa Inc. “Team Visa athletes remain at the heart of Visa and we are excited to cheer them on in their pursuit of Olympic and Paralympic Gold in PyeongChang.”
The following athletes officially joined Team Visa ahead of PyeongChang 2018:
- Mikaela Shiffrin (USA, Alpine Skiing): After making history at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 as the youngest American to win Olympic Gold in Slalom, Mikaela is looking to solidify her place in Olympic Winter Games history by winning more Olympic medals than any other female alpine skier. During PyeongChang 2018, she is determined to compete in four individual events and the team competition.
- Chloe Kim (USA, Snowboard – Halfpipe): As a 13 year-old, Chloe qualified for the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 and would have been a favorite to win Gold, but by rule was too young to compete. At the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, as a first generation Korean American, Chloe is looking to win her first Olympic Gold medal in her parents’ home country. The Southern Californian teen has quickly become the sport’s biggest star aiming to make her Olympic Winter Games mark in PyeongChang.
- Mark McMorris (Canada, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air): After a near-fatal crash in back-country British Columbia in March 2017, Mark’s determination to reach the top of the podium at PyeongChang 2018 is what is fueling his recovery to push himself beyond the limits. Given that he won bronze at Sochi 2014 just two weeks after suffering a fractured rib, Mark is determined to defy the odds once again at the Olympic Winter Games, and bring home Gold in the inaugural big air event – arguably his best event.
- Gus Kenworthy (USA, Freestyle Skiing – Slopestyle & Halfpipe): As the first openly gay action sports athlete, Gus is a trailblazer on and off the slopes. In his Olympic Winter Games debut in Sochi 2014, Gus earned a Silver medal in the inaugural slopestyle event, and has his sights set on reaching the podium in both slopestyle & halfpipe at PyeongChang 2018. Off the slopes, Gus is a major advocate for the LGBTQ community, hoping to inspire others to be confident and open about their sexuality.
- Lee, Sang Hwa (South Korea, Speed Skating): As a two-time Gold medalist, Lee, Sang Hwa is always pushing past her own limits on and off the ice. She was inspired to skate by her brother, but her parents could only afford to support one child in pursuit of the Olympic Winter Games dream, driving her to work harder to push past her personal boundaries. In 2018, Sang Hwa hopes to do what only one other Olympian has done – win a Gold medal in three consecutive Olympic Winter Games. With PyeongChang 2018 being held on her own turf, she is inspired more than ever to reach the top of the podium.
- Kamil Stoch (Poland, Ski Jumping): Born and raised in Zakopane, a Polish ski resort, Kamil Stoch learned to ski when he was three years old, and started jumping just one year later. By the time he was sixteen, Stoch made his World Cup debut and two years later he competed in his first Olympic Winter Games. At Sochi 2014, Stoch won two individual Golds, making him the third ski jumper in history to win both individual events.
- Oksana Masters (USA, Para cross-country skiing & Para biathlon): Oksana was born with complications that later were linked to nuclear radiation exposure and she was given up for adoption at a Ukrainian orphanage. Needless to say, the now three-time Paralympian has been defying all odds since birth. Oksana has three Paralympic medals under her belt (2 Bronze and 1 Silver), and is hungry for her first Gold at PyeongChang 2018. She’s also hoping to make history. After missing the medal podium by 3 seconds in 2014, Oksana is aiming to be the first US athlete at the Olympic or Paralympic Winter Games to medal in Biathlon.
- Hilary Knight (USA, Ice Hockey): Hilary was a member of the United States Women’s Ice Hockey Team that won Silver medals at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 and Vancouver 2010, and is hoping to bring home her first Gold at PyeongChang 2018. Off the ice, Hilary is a leading advocate in the fight for equal compensation for female ice hockey players and also made history in 2014 when she became the first female skater (non-goalie) to practice with an NHL team.
Additional Team Visa athletes from around the globe include:
(USA, Ski Jumping), Maggie Voisin (USA, Freestyle Skiing –
Slopestyle), David Wise (USA, Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe), Jamie
Anderson (USA, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Travis
Gerrits (Canada, Freestyle Skiing – Aerials), Charles Hamelin
(Canada, Short Track Speed Skating), Mac Marcoux (Canada, Para
alpine skiing), Scott Moir (Canada, Figure Skating), Spencer
O’Brien (Canada, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Tessa
Virtue (Canada, Figure Skating)
- Not Competing: Meryl Davis (USA, Figure Skating), Charlie White (USA, Figure Skating)
- Retired: Angela Ruggiero (USA, Ice Hockey)
- Asia: Park, Seung Hi (South Korea, Speed Skating), Beibei Chu (China, Para cross-country skiing), Han Cong (China, Figure Skating), Sui Wenjing (China, Figure Skating), Han Tianyu (China, Short Track Speed Skating), Zhang Yiwei (China, Snowboard – Halfpipe), Sara Takanashi (Japan, Ski Jumping), Noriaki Kasai (Japan, Ski Jumping), Park, Caroline (South Korea, Ice Hockey), Lee, Sang Ho (South Korea, Snowboard – Parallel Slalom), Lim, Hyo Jun (South Korea, Short Track Speed Skating), Jung, Seung Hwan (South Korea, Para ice hockey) , Michael Christian Martinez (Philippines, Figure Skating)
- Europe: Ester Ledecka (Czech Republic, Alpine Skiing & Snowboard – Parallel Slalom), Roope Tonteri (Finland, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Elise Christie (Great Britain, Short Track Speed Skating), Billy Morgan (Great Britain, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Peter Fill (Italy, Alpine Skiing), Marcus Kleveland (Norway, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Maxim Trankov (Russia, Figure Skating), Tatiana Volosozhar (Russia, Figure Skating), Stina Nilsson (Sweden, Cross-Country Skiing), Patrick Burgener (Switzerland, Snowboard – Halfpipe)
- Africa: Brolin Mawejje (Uganda, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air)
- South America: Dominique Ohaco (Chile, Freestyle Skiing – Slopestyle)
Tickets are currently available for purchase directly through the PyeongChang 2018 ticketing website for residents of Korea (including registered Non-Koreans residing in Korea) or through PyeongChang 2018’s Authorized Ticket Resellers for international residents. Starting from November, tickets will also be available on sale at outlets and main ticket centers in Korea. For more information on PyeongChang 2018 tickets, please visit: https://tickets.pyeongchang2018.com/
For additional information on Team Visa, follow along at @VisaNews on Twitter and visit www.visa.com.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit usa.visa.com/aboutvisa, visacorporate.tumblr.com and @VisaNews.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Planview Empowers Organizations to Realize Agile-at-Scale with Lean and Agile Delivery Solution18.2.2019 15:05:00 | Pressemelding
Today’s increasingly competitive and disrupted markets require teams and enterprises to adapt quickly and speed delivery of innovative products, solutions, and customer experiences. While agile ways of working have produced positive results on single teams, leveraging Agile across the organization creates a challenge – how to scale delivery across teams for larger initiatives and focus on business outcomes for driving change and results. The Planview® solution for Lean and Agile delivery solves this challenge by connecting agile delivery with strategic planning and lean portfolio management to achieve business objectives faster. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190218005030/en/ The Planview solution for Lean and Agile delivery connects strategic planning, lean portfolio management, and work delivery. (Graphic: Business Wire) “When Planview came together with LeanKit® in December 2017, we significantly expanded
The University of Luxembourg Launches a Unique Interdisciplinary Space Master in Line with the Government’s SpaceResources.lu Initiative18.2.2019 14:07:00 | Pressemelding
In fall 2019, the University of Luxembourg launches a two-year Interdisciplinary Space Master program. This Master study program, set up in collaboration with the Luxembourg Space Agency, aims to provide students with the engineering skills required in the burgeoning space industry, along with in depth knowledge to manage space-related business activities. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190218005215/en/ Etienne Schneider, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy ; Stéphane Pallage, Rector of the University of Luxembourg ; Claude Meisch, Minister for Higher Education and Research © University of Luxembourg (Photo: Business Wire) In 1985, a public-private partnership effort launched Société Européenne des Satellites, today known as global satellite operator SES. Over the last decades, further space-related services and businesses have developed alongside SES shaping a vibrant space economy. As a leader
Wipro Launches QuMiC to Accelerate Migration to Oracle Cloud18.2.2019 13:55:00 | Pressemelding
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, today announced the launch of QuMiC (Quick Migration to Cloud), a comprehensive platform designed to transform the way organizations migrate to Oracle Cloud. Using QuMiC, Wipro and Oracle aim to simplify and accelerate the journey to Oracle Cloud for their customers. Wipro is a Platinum level member of Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN). Wipro’s QuMiC is a unique platform that migrates all aspects required for a cloud implementation, i.e. process definitions, configurations, data, and code to Oracle Cloud for a wide variety of software environments. Irrespective of whether an organization’s original assets are in an on-premise platform such as Oracle E-Business Suite, a version management tool, or another cloud software-as-a-service (SaaS) environment, QuMiC can automate and thereby, seamlessly accelerate the migration process. The platform reduces the
Top Mobility Firms Combine to Form Sterling Lexicon18.2.2019 13:47:00 | Pressemelding
Two of the mobility industry’s most trusted leaders – Lexicon Relocation and Sterling Mobility – this week announced the launch of their new brand, Sterling Lexicon. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190218005205/en/ In mid-2018, Lexicon Relocation acquired Sterling Mobility, expanding their combined global footprint and service offerings in the mobility marketplace. After six months of integration, the companies have rolled out as one unified, global brand. The integration of the two companies enables Sterling Lexicon to deliver end-to-end services around the world. Focused on personalized, high-touch and quality solutions, Sterling Lexicon’s global employees expertly manage any relocation needs for private and corporate customers. “Individually, Lexicon and Sterling were highly regarded in the relocation industry, with a reputation for outstanding customer service. Together, we bring an unparalleled level of c
Milrem Robotics’ THeMIS UGV Strengthens Its Position as The Industry Standard18.2.2019 13:00:00 | Pressemelding
The unmanned warfare systems developer Milrem Robotics is the most represented company in its field at this year’s IDEX with the widest selection of different weaponized unmanned ground systems on display. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190218005105/en/ Together with industry partners MBDA, Electro Optic Systems, ST Engineering and Nexter, Milrem Robotics is exhibiting four different weaponized unmanned ground systems at the main defence event in the Middle East. All systems are integrated onto Milrem Robotics' THeMIS unmanned ground vehicle. (Photo: Business Wire) Together with industry partners MBDA, Electro Optic Systems, ST Engineering and Nexter, Milrem Robotics is exhibiting four different weaponized unmanned ground systems at the main defence event in the Middle East. All systems are integrated onto Milrem Robotics’ THeMIS unmanned ground vehicle. On display are two completely new weaponized UGVs – the
Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health and Masimo Announce Automation of National Neonatal CCHD Screening Process Using Masimo Technology18.2.2019 13:00:00 | Pressemelding
Recently at Arab Health 2019, the Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health (MOH) and Masimo (NASDAQ: MASI) jointly announced the implementation of an automation solution designed to streamline the process of critical congenital heart disease (CCHD) screening of newborns using Masimo SET®, the first automation of its kind worldwide. This latest phase in Saudi Arabia’s national CCHD screening program, which began in 2016 as part of the Vision 2030 plan addressing improvements in healthcare and other areas, automates the collection and storage of screening data, helping to make the process both more efficient and more accurate. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190218005021/en/ Masimo Rad-97™ with Eve™ (Photo: Business Wire) In 2016, Saudi Arabia implemented a mandatory CCHD screening program for all newborns using the Masimo Eve™ Newborn Screening Application on Radical-7® Pulse CO-Oximeters® with SET® Measure-through Moti