Visa Announces Team Visa Roster for the Upcoming Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
Visa (NYSE:V) today announced its global Team Visa roster for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, comprised of over 40 Olympians and Paralympians from 17 countries, including Mikaela Shiffrin (USA), Chloe Kim (USA), Mark McMorris (Canada), Gus Kenworthy (USA), Oksana Masters (USA), Lee, Sang Hwa (South Korea), Kamil Stoch (Poland), and Hilary Knight (USA). This team of Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls represent a diverse group of individuals representing a range of sports, from snowboarding and speed skating to ski jumping and figure skating.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170920005473/en/
Visa is excited to announce the #TeamVisa roster of athletes who are going for gold at #PyeongChang2018. (Photo: Business Wire)
A global Olympic partner for more than 30 years and Paralympic partner since 2003, Visa founded its Team Visa program in 2000, with the aim of providing athletes with the tools, resources and support they need to achieve their lifelong dreams, both on and off the field of competition, regardless of their origin or background. Today, Team Visa is unified by athletes who embody Visa’s values of acceptance, partnership and inclusion, with athletic talent matched equally by their character.
“We are excited to welcome all of our Olympic and Paralympic athletes to Team Visa and we think this roster is the perfect embodiment of what the Visa brand stands for, as these athletes push boundaries every day in everything they do,” said Chris Curtin, chief marketing innovation and brand officer at Visa Inc. “Team Visa athletes remain at the heart of Visa and we are excited to cheer them on in their pursuit of Olympic and Paralympic Gold in PyeongChang.”
The following athletes officially joined Team Visa ahead of PyeongChang 2018:
- Mikaela Shiffrin (USA, Alpine Skiing): After making history at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 as the youngest American to win Olympic Gold in Slalom, Mikaela is looking to solidify her place in Olympic Winter Games history by winning more Olympic medals than any other female alpine skier. During PyeongChang 2018, she is determined to compete in four individual events and the team competition.
- Chloe Kim (USA, Snowboard – Halfpipe): As a 13 year-old, Chloe qualified for the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 and would have been a favorite to win Gold, but by rule was too young to compete. At the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, as a first generation Korean American, Chloe is looking to win her first Olympic Gold medal in her parents’ home country. The Southern Californian teen has quickly become the sport’s biggest star aiming to make her Olympic Winter Games mark in PyeongChang.
- Mark McMorris (Canada, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air): After a near-fatal crash in back-country British Columbia in March 2017, Mark’s determination to reach the top of the podium at PyeongChang 2018 is what is fueling his recovery to push himself beyond the limits. Given that he won bronze at Sochi 2014 just two weeks after suffering a fractured rib, Mark is determined to defy the odds once again at the Olympic Winter Games, and bring home Gold in the inaugural big air event – arguably his best event.
- Gus Kenworthy (USA, Freestyle Skiing – Slopestyle & Halfpipe): As the first openly gay action sports athlete, Gus is a trailblazer on and off the slopes. In his Olympic Winter Games debut in Sochi 2014, Gus earned a Silver medal in the inaugural slopestyle event, and has his sights set on reaching the podium in both slopestyle & halfpipe at PyeongChang 2018. Off the slopes, Gus is a major advocate for the LGBTQ community, hoping to inspire others to be confident and open about their sexuality.
- Lee, Sang Hwa (South Korea, Speed Skating): As a two-time Gold medalist, Lee, Sang Hwa is always pushing past her own limits on and off the ice. She was inspired to skate by her brother, but her parents could only afford to support one child in pursuit of the Olympic Winter Games dream, driving her to work harder to push past her personal boundaries. In 2018, Sang Hwa hopes to do what only one other Olympian has done – win a Gold medal in three consecutive Olympic Winter Games. With PyeongChang 2018 being held on her own turf, she is inspired more than ever to reach the top of the podium.
- Kamil Stoch (Poland, Ski Jumping): Born and raised in Zakopane, a Polish ski resort, Kamil Stoch learned to ski when he was three years old, and started jumping just one year later. By the time he was sixteen, Stoch made his World Cup debut and two years later he competed in his first Olympic Winter Games. At Sochi 2014, Stoch won two individual Golds, making him the third ski jumper in history to win both individual events.
- Oksana Masters (USA, Para cross-country skiing & Para biathlon): Oksana was born with complications that later were linked to nuclear radiation exposure and she was given up for adoption at a Ukrainian orphanage. Needless to say, the now three-time Paralympian has been defying all odds since birth. Oksana has three Paralympic medals under her belt (2 Bronze and 1 Silver), and is hungry for her first Gold at PyeongChang 2018. She’s also hoping to make history. After missing the medal podium by 3 seconds in 2014, Oksana is aiming to be the first US athlete at the Olympic or Paralympic Winter Games to medal in Biathlon.
- Hilary Knight (USA, Ice Hockey): Hilary was a member of the United States Women’s Ice Hockey Team that won Silver medals at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 and Vancouver 2010, and is hoping to bring home her first Gold at PyeongChang 2018. Off the ice, Hilary is a leading advocate in the fight for equal compensation for female ice hockey players and also made history in 2014 when she became the first female skater (non-goalie) to practice with an NHL team.
Additional Team Visa athletes from around the globe include:
(USA, Ski Jumping), Maggie Voisin (USA, Freestyle Skiing –
Slopestyle), David Wise (USA, Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe), Jamie
Anderson (USA, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Travis
Gerrits (Canada, Freestyle Skiing – Aerials), Charles Hamelin
(Canada, Short Track Speed Skating), Mac Marcoux (Canada, Para
alpine skiing), Scott Moir (Canada, Figure Skating), Spencer
O’Brien (Canada, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Tessa
Virtue (Canada, Figure Skating)
- Not Competing: Meryl Davis (USA, Figure Skating), Charlie White (USA, Figure Skating)
- Retired: Angela Ruggiero (USA, Ice Hockey)
- Asia: Park, Seung Hi (South Korea, Speed Skating), Beibei Chu (China, Para cross-country skiing), Han Cong (China, Figure Skating), Sui Wenjing (China, Figure Skating), Han Tianyu (China, Short Track Speed Skating), Zhang Yiwei (China, Snowboard – Halfpipe), Sara Takanashi (Japan, Ski Jumping), Noriaki Kasai (Japan, Ski Jumping), Park, Caroline (South Korea, Ice Hockey), Lee, Sang Ho (South Korea, Snowboard – Parallel Slalom), Lim, Hyo Jun (South Korea, Short Track Speed Skating), Jung, Seung Hwan (South Korea, Para ice hockey) , Michael Christian Martinez (Philippines, Figure Skating)
- Europe: Ester Ledecka (Czech Republic, Alpine Skiing & Snowboard – Parallel Slalom), Roope Tonteri (Finland, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Elise Christie (Great Britain, Short Track Speed Skating), Billy Morgan (Great Britain, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Peter Fill (Italy, Alpine Skiing), Marcus Kleveland (Norway, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air), Maxim Trankov (Russia, Figure Skating), Tatiana Volosozhar (Russia, Figure Skating), Stina Nilsson (Sweden, Cross-Country Skiing), Patrick Burgener (Switzerland, Snowboard – Halfpipe)
- Africa: Brolin Mawejje (Uganda, Snowboard – Slopestyle & Big Air)
- South America: Dominique Ohaco (Chile, Freestyle Skiing – Slopestyle)
Tickets are currently available for purchase directly through the PyeongChang 2018 ticketing website for residents of Korea (including registered Non-Koreans residing in Korea) or through PyeongChang 2018’s Authorized Ticket Resellers for international residents. Starting from November, tickets will also be available on sale at outlets and main ticket centers in Korea. For more information on PyeongChang 2018 tickets, please visit: https://tickets.pyeongchang2018.com/
For additional information on Team Visa, follow along at @VisaNews on Twitter and visit www.visa.com.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit usa.visa.com/aboutvisa, visacorporate.tumblr.com and @VisaNews.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Manchester United Shoots for Success with a “Digital Experience Platform” Powered by HCL16.8.2018 19:02 | Pressemelding
Manchester United (NYSE:MANU) has today announced a major milestone on its digital transformation journey with HCL Technologies, with the successful launch of the Manchester United Official app powered by HCL’s digital experience platform. The launch is part of the ongoing digital transformation of the club to provide a real-time, engaging, personalized, and unified experience to Manchester United’s 659 million global followers, which supports the club’s strategy to become a Digital Sports Enterprise. At the heart of this transformation is the digital platform developed by HCL, providing the club with a single view of fans across web and app touchpoints, offering fans a one-stop shop for everything Manchester United. Manchester United’s Group Managing Director Richard Arnold comments: “This app will allow our 659 million Manchester United followers to easily connect to the club they love, wherever they are in the world. Fans will now have the opportunity to follow all Manchester United
4K 4Charity Fun Run Announces Open Registration for IBC201816.8.2018 17:41 | Pressemelding
AWS Elemental, an Amazon Web Services (AWS) company, today announced that the fifth annual 4K 4Charity Fun Run at IBC Show will take place at 7:00 a.m. local time on Saturday, Sept. 15 at Amstelpark in Amsterdam. Registration is open at https://4k4charity.com/ibc. Among the non-profits supported by the 4K 4Charity Fun Run at IBC Show is Amsterdam-based StichtingNewTechKids, which provides computer science education for girls, minorities, and economically challenged youth in the Netherlands. The organization supports a computer science teacher training program for primary school teachers with proceeds from 4K 4Charity. Also supported is Iridescent, a global education non-profit that empowers underrepresented young people to become innovators and leaders through engineering and technology. Through their two programs, Curiosity Machine AI Family Challenge and Technovation, Iridescent introduces underserved communities to new technologies and empowers and equips them to apply those technol
2018 D.I.C.E. Cannes Announced Round 3 Speakers16.8.2018 14:01 | Pressemelding
The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences’ D.I.C.E. Cannes event will take place 9-11 September 2018 at the Hotel Barrière Le Majestic Cannes in France. Leading video game executives will participate in the premier networking opportunities, listen to key speakers address the conference theme - Trailblazers - to tackle some of the industry’s biggest ideas and trends. Newly announced speakers include: Craig Duncan, Studio Head at Rare – Duncan will share his studio’s experience and learnings with “A Rare Voyage of Adventure.” Duncan will provide insight into Rare’s bold new IP Sea of Thieves, a game that has inspired friendships and players creating stories together. David Hubert, Animation and Cinematic Director at Eidos Montreal – In Hubert’s talk he will discuss how cinematics are redefining AAA story-driven games and how they will continue to shape the medium to push the envelope throughout the production process. Adam Orth – In a session titled “Digging for Fire: Virtual Reality 20
GN Hearing and Google Announce Partnership to Bring Direct Mobile Streaming from Android Devices to Hearing Aids16.8.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
GN Hearing and Google have today announced a new technology partnership that will make GN Hearing the first manufacturer to enable a full spectrum of direct audio streaming from Android devices to hearing aids. The expectations are that direct streaming will become available to hearing aid users of the recently launched hearing aids ReSound LiNX Quattro™ and Beltone Amaze™ in a future Android release. “According to the World Health Organization, around 466 million people worldwide have disabling hearing loss. This number is expected to increase to 900 million people by the year 2050. Google is working with GN Hearing to create a new open specification for hearing aid streaming support on future versions of Android devices,” states Seang Chau, Vice President of Engineering at Google. Users will be able to connect and monitor their hearing aids, so they can get the full advantages of their Android devices without using an intermediate device for streaming to their hearing aids. This will
Zurich Expands Global Use of Guidewire InsurancePlatform with Selection of Guidewire Cyence Risk Analytics16.8.2018 12:55 | Pressemelding
Guidewire Software, Inc. (NYSE: GWRE), the provider of the industry platform Property and Casualty (P&C) insurers rely upon, today announced that Zurich Insurance Group (Zurich) has selected Guidewire Cyence™ Risk Analytics (Cyence) to leverage the cyber risk knowledge and insights the solution provides to help the company prospect, underwrite, and price risks. Zurich will roll out Cyence globally with an emphasis on enhanced analytics and intelligence for risk selection. Unprecedented technological advances of the 21st century have shifted the nature of risk across the P&C insurance industry. Ever-evolving cyber risks present unique challenges including limited availability of traditional actuarial data needed to model these risks. Cyence combines economic modeling, cybersecurity, machine learning and Internet scale data collection to help risk takers assess the financial impact of cyber risk. “After conducting a thorough search, we found that the capabilities of Guidewire Cyence Risk
Scientist.com Named One of America’s Ten Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc. Magazine16.8.2018 12:06 | Pressemelding
Scientist.com, the world’s leading marketplace for outsourced scientific services, today announced that it ranked no. 9 on Inc. magazine’s 2018 list of the 5,000 fastest-growing, privately owned companies in America. Scientist.com ranked no. 2 nationally in the Health category and no. 2 in the state of California. The San Diego-based company builds private marketplaces that connect life science research organizations with a global network of over 2,600 contract research organizations (CROs) and providers of scientific services. “Our mission is to empower and connect scientists worldwide and make it possible to cure all human diseases by 2050,” stated Kevin Lustig, Scientist.com’s CEO and Founder. “On Scientist.com, a single, highly trained scientist can run an entire drug discovery program from concept to clinic from his or her laptop without ever physically entering a laboratory.” The pharmaceutical industry spends about $150B a year on medical research and produces about 25 new medic