Talent Managers Declare Gig Work the 'New Normal' According to Research from Kelly Services®
Research Also Shows Differences between Gig Laggards and Innovators
TROY, Mich., March 26, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- New research from Kelly Services ® provides insight into why companies hire gig workers and what the most innovative among them do differently from their peers. Surveying 2,100 talent managers worldwide-across industries and career disciplines-global workforce solutions provider, Kelly Services, uncovered new insights about gig adoption rates, the outlook for gig hiring, the growing influence of independents, and areas for competitive innovation. The most noteworthy survey findings include:
- Gig work becoming the new normal: 65% of talent/hiring managers say the gig economy is rapidly becoming the new normal for how businesses organize work.
- A flexible workforce is the way forward: Nearly 3 in 4 talent/hiring managers (73%) say a much more flexible and fluid workforce will emerge as a way to navigate an increasingly dynamic global business climate.
- Workers are free agents* by choice : 75% of global free agents choose gig work for positive reasons, seeing it as a way to improve their personal and professional lives.
- The advantages are clear: 43% of organizations engaging gig workers experience at least a 20% labor cost savings and 72% say using gig workers/free agent talent gives their team/organization a competitive advantage.
"The research shows that hiring gig workers is pervasive across regions and industries, but there's still room for improvement," says Amy Anger, vice president and global practice strategy lead, Gig Economy, for Kelly Services. "The majority of hiring managers say a flexible workforce will be a key way to differentiate and compete in the future, yet 39% of organizations are what we call gig-work laggards: they aren't currently using gig workers heavily nor strategically."
What factors are driving the gig economy?
- Skills Gap: Companies today need a ready supply of knowledge workers in emerging areas of expertise to stay competitive.
- Work/life design: More and more freelancers are opting for gig work by choice rather than economic necessity. As independents, they have greater autonomy about how, when and where to work-and employers are feeling pressure to adapt to these preferences. The research shows seven out of 10 talent managers using free agents see the employer-worker relationship shifting, with talent asserting more leverage.
- Technology advancements: The surge in the "human cloud" (technologies that enable virtual collaboration) have made gig work much more cost-effective and productive. Technological improvements, generally, have enabled more people to work from anywhere - creating a cycle of increasing demand to have more flexibility in their work style.
- Economic pressure: Volatile market conditions have made many employers wary of adding to their permanent payrolls and more receptive to the concept of a scalable, variable workforce in order to be competitive.
"The research findings are fascinating not just for global organizations seeking an edge over competitors, but for the entire gig economy ecosystem-from the growth of cloud-based technology solutions that power the independent workforce, to the growing interest among those seeking independent work to become 'digital nomads,' or professionals who work whenever and wherever they want, not tied to an office or even a city," says Anger.
Why do companies seek out gig labor? Most cite cost savings and filling talent gaps, but a large number point to knowledge transfer as a key benefit.
60% use gig labor to bridge a talent or capacity gap and 57% use it to realize cost savings and/or efficiencies. The research also shows that a significant portion of hiring managers see independent workers as a critical source of outside knowledge and experience; 49% use gig workers to infuse talent into their organizations and grow internal expertise.
"For some forward-thinking organizations, hiring independent workers is a way to import new and innovative ideas," explains Anger. "Independents tend to work across a higher number of organizations and industries. By soaking up knowledge and experience from multiple engagements, they can be tremendously valuable as innovative problem solvers. Our research shows that 75% of those who engage gig economy workers believe that free agency helps individuals build a skill repertoire through various gigs-skills they can infuse into the organizations that engage them."
To understand the full potential of the gig workforce, watch the innovators
The Kelly Services research includes a Workforce Optimization Maturity Index which provides insight into the maturity level with which firms currently leverage the gig workforce. Those that use gig workers less effectively than their peers are called laggards; those with stronger skills and commensurate benefits are competents and differentiators. The most-skilled organizations are innovators.
Innovators make up just 13% of all companies, but they can reap big rewards when it comes to deploying and leveraging gig labor. Innovators are heavy users of gig labor and tend to use independents for highly visible and strategic challenges. They view gig workers not as outsiders, but as a critical and valuable component of the overall workforce. And innovators are highly advanced in how they use technology to aid in the practices and processes of managing gig labor. (Not surprisingly, this group also reports the highest level of cost savings: innovators are nearly 3 times more likely than laggards to save over 30% on labor cost).
Survey Methodology: The 2017 Gig Economy Talent Manager Research was conducted online by Inavero on behalf of Kelly Services. The study surveyed over 2,100 talent managers from around the globe.
For additional information, please click here.
About Kelly Services
As a global leader in providing workforce solutions, Kelly Services, Inc. (Nasdaq:KELYA) (Nasdaq:KELYB) and its subsidiaries, offer a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis. Kelly® directly employs nearly 500,000 people around the world in addition to having a role in connecting thousands more with work through its global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2017 was $5.4 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
* Today there are 50 million free agents in the U.S., comprising 33% of the U.S. workforce. Globally, free agents/gig workers make up 31% of the workforce. Gig work describes any engagement for which talent is paid for a discrete task, project or period of time. Dozens of terms fall under the "gig work" umbrella-from freelancers and independent consultants, to micropreneurs and independent contractors. All of these are referred to as part of the gig economy or on-demand economy.
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Kelly Services, Inc. via Globenewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
GlobeNewswire is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
Følg saker fra GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra GlobeNewswire
Validated with Microsoft Skype for Business, Patton Delivers Cloud-Powered Integration19.3.2019 05:00:00 CET | Pressemelding
SmartNode ™ VoIP gateways and eSBCs, validated by TekVizion, integrate legacy telephony, ALL-IP communications — or both concurrently — with Skype for Business SmartNode ™ VoIP… More than Just Talk! GAITHERSBURG, Md., March 19, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Patton—US-based enabling solutions provider for unified communications (UC), UC-as-a-service (UCaaS) and Cloud—now announces all SmartNode VoIP products version 3.X—including Virtual SmartNode (vSN)—are validated for interoperability with Skype for Business (SfB). SmartNode products are validated by TekVizion, a Microsoft-certified lab, in the SBC and enhanced gateway categories, and are forward compatible with Microsoft Teams. >>Certificate of Validation: Patton SBC/Gateway 3.X Patton Cloud edge orchestration service makes it extra easy to activate, configure and manage the SmartNode-enabled connection with on-premise or hosted Skype for Business. In addition to enabling enterprise transition to ALL-IP using SfB, Patton’s VoIP CPE produ
Abeona Therapeutics Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2018 Financial Results18.3.2019 21:45:00 CET | Pressemelding
On track to initiate Phase 3 VITAL™ trial for treatment of RDEB in mid-2019; EB-101 to be manufactured in-house Manufacturing scaled to support AAV based programs; GMP readiness expected 2H19 Investor conference call on Tuesday, March 19 at 10:00 a.m. ET NEW YORK and CLEVELAND, March 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Abeona Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq: ABEO), a leading clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing novel cell and gene therapies for serious diseases, today announced fourth quarter and full year 2018 financial results, and provided business highlights. The Company will host a conference call on Tuesday, March 19 at 10:00 a.m. ET to discuss fourth quarter and full year results, and to provide business highlights. Interested parties are invited to participate in the call by dialing 844-369-8770 (toll-free domestic) or 862-298-0840 (International) or via webcast at https://www.investornetwork.com/event/presentation/44847. “The diligent work conducted over the past nine months
Novavax Reports Fourth Quarter and Year-End 2018 Financial Results18.3.2019 21:05:00 CET | Pressemelding
Company to Host Conference Call Today at 4:30 p.m. ET GAITHERSBURG, Md., March 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq: NVAX) today announced its financial results and operational highlights for the fourth quarter and twelve months ended December 31, 2018. “In 2018, we committed to focus on our two lead programs, ResVax™ and Nanoflu™, and reflecting on last year’s activities, I am proud to say we have achieved significant results for both,” said Stanley C. Erck, President and CEO of Novavax, Inc. “Although we were disappointed to miss the primary endpoint of our Prepare trial, ResVax is the first RSV vaccine to demonstrate efficacy for the prevention of RSV disease in a Phase 3 clinical trial. In addition, the successful Phase 2 results for our NanoFlu vaccine provide an opportunity to now confirm with the FDA the use of accelerated approval for licensure. We are now prepared to make meaningful advances on these programs during 2019.” Fourth Quarter 2018 and Subsequent Opera
Mattson Technology Announces Hydrilis™, a Unique High-Productivity Vacuum Wafer Process Platform18.3.2019 17:00:00 CET | Pressemelding
– Up to 4 process chambers and 8 wafer processing stations – – Smallest footprint, highest throughput platform – – Enables any process chamber, any position configuration flexibility – FREMONT, Calif., March 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mattson Technology, Inc., a leading supplier of advanced process equipment used to manufacture semiconductors, introduces Hydrilis™, the industry’s highest productivity density vacuum transfer platform featuring high throughput on the smallest footprint. The Hydrilis platform can be configured with up to 4 process chambers, or 8 processing stations, for parallel or sequential wafer processing. Any of the paradigmE® family plasma etch process chambers, Suprema® family plasma photoresist strip and hard-mask removal process chambers, Novyka™ family surface treatment process chambers and Novyka family selective chemical dry etch process chambers can all be integrated on the Hydrilis platform. “Throughput per unit area of fab space is one of the key criteria
Minerva Neurosciences to Host Webcast Event on Schizophrenia18.3.2019 13:30:00 CET | Pressemelding
Decision Resources Group to provide review of the disease landscape and forecast Key opinion leader to discuss negative symptoms in schizophrenia Minerva to outline roluperidone’s potential position within the disease landscape WALTHAM, Mass., March 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: NERV), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of therapies to treat central nervous system (CNS) disorders, today announced that it will host a webcast, “Schizophrenia: Disease Landscape and Forecast,” on Thursday, March 21, 2019 beginning at 10:00 a.m. eastern time in Boston, MA. Minerva’s Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Remy Luthringer, Ph.D., will be joined by representatives from Decision Resources Group, a global information and technology services company providing proprietary data and solutions to the healthcare industry, and Dr. Gregory Strauss, an expert key opinion leader. Discussions will feature the following speakers
Infovista Enhances Ipanema SD-WAN with Nextgen Application Intelligence+ and Cloud-Native Orchestration18.3.2019 13:00:00 CET | Pressemelding
PARIS and ASHBURN, Va., March 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Infovista, the leader in modern network performance, today announced new cloud-native management and control with next-generation Application Intelligence+ for Ipanema SD-WAN, delivering unmatched application performance across any WAN. Tweet This: Infovista enhances Ipanema SD-WAN with nextgen Application Intelligence+ and cloud native orchestration: https://bit.ly/2ULcKLW #SmarterSDWAN The enterprise network has become the central nervous system of modern digital businesses, and SD-WAN is enabling this digital transformation. Infovista’s Ipanema SD-WAN with new cloud-native management and control of applications tightly combines session-based routing and dynamic path selection of the underlay network with an overlay of deep application visibility and dynamic control of the quality of experience for business-critical applications. Additionally, Ipanema automatically understands application delivery requirements and maintains a