QS Enrolment Solutions’ New Research Reveals Opportunities For European Universities To Celebrate, Measure and Communicate Teaching Quality
European universities must harness the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations, according to a new report from QS Enrolment Solutions, the student recruitment and retention solutions company. The unique survey spoke to 67,172 prospective international students, 28,838 of whom were considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia. The report argues that for Europe to maintain its status as a leading destination for Higher Education it must place greater emphasis on digital delivery and look at new ways to evaluate the quality of teaching at universities.
The Harnessing Opportunities in Global Higher Education report by QS Enrolment Solutions launched today (10 May 2018) is the sixth annual International Student Survey (ISS) by QS Enrolment Solutions – the largest of its kind – surveyed students from 191 countries who plan to study abroad.
Celebrating, measuring and communicating the quality of teaching
Teaching quality is of the utmost importance for prospective international students choosing between different institutions:
- The biggest indicator of teaching quality for international students is the university’s teaching staff, followed by having up-to-date technology.
- According to the international students surveyed, the top indicator of a good quality lecturer is that academic staff are passionate about the subject they teach, followed by them having ‘real-world’ experience extending beyond academia. The third biggest indicator of teaching quality in a lecturer is receiving positive reviews from students.
International students are increasingly looking to country-wide measurement schemes as a way of judging teaching quality, like the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in the UK:
- Among prospective international students, 68% claimed an equivalent of the TEF in other countries would increase the likelihood of them studying there, showing how much they value the ability to easily compare teaching quality between numerous institutions.
- Many prospective international students believe that performance in country-wide measurement schemes, such as the TEF, are a bigger indicator of teaching quality than performing well in some forms of rankings and league tables.
Andy Nicol, Managing Director of QS Enrolment Solutions said: “European Universities should continue to develop strategic approaches to international student recruitment, harnessing the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market. Our research has found that academic staff are one of universities’ biggest assets in recruiting international students. To effectively attract international students, universities should highlight the passion their staff have for the subjects they teach, and how their ‘real-world’ experience can prepare prospective students for their career post-university.
“The emphasis that international students place on teaching quality, and the measurement of it, presents policymakers and higher education markets across Europe with the opportunity to consider the possibility of introducing country-wide measurement schemes to evaluate teaching quality in any given country. In doing so, European markets may open themselves up to large groups of prospective students for whom teaching quality is their top priority.”
Harnessing the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations of the future of Higher Education
International students expect universities of the future to offer a very different experience to the universities of today where they envisage that the Higher Education sector will place far greater emphasis on digital delivery with most lectures being online. Those surveyed also said they see a positive future for the sector with more institutions and more people going to university. The top five characteristics selected when asked about how the sector could look in 10 years’ time were:
- Most lectures will be online
- Students will be able to get a qualification from any university regardless of which country they live in
- More people will go to university
- Universities will be part of continuous learning
- There will be more universities
Patrick Whitfield, Director of UK & Europe at QS Enrolment Solutions: “As the changing political and socio-economic dynamics influence the views of potential applicants, universities should continue to listen closely to international students. Institutions that listen, adapt and differentiate their offer, while developing strategic approaches to international student recruitment, will harness the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market.”
- ENDS -
Note to Editors:
- With offices in Australia, Malaysia and the UK, QS Enrolment Solutions (formerly known as Hobsons Solutions) is a global market leader in research and understanding of international and domestic students. Each year we deal with hundreds of thousands of students globally, giving us a unique insight into the student recruitment market. Our research, strategy, enquiry, admissions and enrolment services mean we have hands-on experience of the obstacles and opportunities within specific countries and regions, helping clients mitigate risk, benefit from our existing relationships, and build sustainable recruitment strategies in an increasingly complex marketplace.
- The International Student Survey 2018 was conducted by QS Enrolment Solutions from November 2017 to March 2018. The International Student Survey is the world’s largest survey of pre-enrolment for international and EU students.
- QS Enrolment Solutions partnered with 63 universities from around the world to survey their prospective student database. The survey sampled 67,172 prospective international students globally, with 191 nationalities represented. The size of the data set along with the number and quality of the responses has enabled very robust student segmentation and insight into the influences of international student’s decision-making processes, how they engage with universities, and what they expect from universities in the lead up to making their final decision.
- This EU report focuses on the responses provided by 28,838 prospective international students who identified that they are considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia.
- Additional regional reports have been produced as part of this series, including reports focusing on the UK, and Australia & New Zealand, as well as a global report.
- QS Enrolment Solutions formerly operated under the name Hobsons Solutions. On 6 October 2017, QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd announced the acquisition of the Hobsons Solutions business, the leading provider of international enrolment management solutions to universities worldwide. The acquisition will allow QS, a leading and trusted brand in higher education research and student information services, to build on its global product offering and realise data and service synergies with the Hobsons Solutions portfolio. For more on the acquisition, see here: http://www.qs.com/faq-items/qs-acquisition_2017/.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
American Airlines Announces Nonstop Philadelphia (PHL) to Orlando Melbourne (MLB)21.9.2018 22:13 | Pressemelding
Glorious beaches by day and theme park fireworks by night just got more convenient for Philadelphia travelers. American Airlines announced today that it will begin nonstop flights to Orlando Melbourne International Airport (MLB) starting February 16, 2019. The Central Florida airport is conveniently located in the heart of the tourism region and is the closest airport to NASA rocket launches, Port Canaveral’s cruises and what critics call “some of the most beautiful beaches Florida has to offer.” The flights will depart Saturdays from Philadelphia at 8:05 a.m., arriving in Florida at 10:48 a.m. The Embraer 175 jet arrival time syncs perfectly with cruise ship noon early boarding. Melbourne Airport Express offers nonstop shuttle service to the port, and all major rental car companies are onsite. The return flight to PHL departs at 11:24 a.m. and arrives in PHL at 1:55 p.m., with enough time to connect to some of American’s largest international destinations, including recently announced
Amy Palladino Joins BCW as Executive Vice President, Managing Director, Corporate Practice21.9.2018 17:43 | Pressemelding
BCW (Burson Cohn & Wolfe), a leading global communications agency, today announced that Amy Palladino has joined the agency as Executive Vice President, Managing Director in the agency’s U.S. Corporate Practice. Based in New York, Palladino will focus on senior client counsel and executive positioning for the agency’s largest corporate clients. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180921005507/en/ Amy Palladino Joins BCW (Burson Cohn & Wolfe) “Amy is a talented and highly experienced communications executive with a track record of solving clients’ complex challenges and building business through smart, integrated communications approaches,” said Chris Foster, President, North America, BCW. “Her creativity and judgement will be enormously valuable to our current and prospective clients.” Palladino has more than 20 years of experience advising global clients across numerous industries, including technology, healthcar
Heidelberg Engineering Announces the CE-Marking of ANTERION21.9.2018 16:41 | Pressemelding
Heidelberg Engineering, the leader in diagnostic imaging known for the internationally-acclaimed SPECTRALIS ® retina and glaucoma platform, announces the CE-marking of ANTERION ® – an innovative platform designed to transform anterior segment diagnostics and workflow. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180921005442/en/ The new Heidelberg Engineering ANTERION® provides the most important anterior segment examinations and measurements in one modular, upgradeable platform. (Graphic: Business Wire) The new ANTERION provides the most important anterior segment examinations and measurements in one modular, upgradeable platform. It is a single, workflow-efficient solution that brings together corneal topography and tomography, anterior segment metrics, axial length measurement and IOL calculation to transform the day-to-day routine of busy practices and clinics. Heidelberg Engineering has leveraged its core OCT technolo
Florian Winterstein Becomes New CEO of Jedox21.9.2018 15:46 | Pressemelding
The supervisory board of Jedox AG, a leading vendor of business intelligence and enterprise planning software, has appointed Florian Winterstein as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) effective October 2, 2018. This nomination will support Jedox’s international growth and a new development phase initiated by its latest fund raising in April 2018 with Iris Capital, eCAPITAL entrepreneurial Partners AG and Wecken & Cie. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180921005416/en/ Florian Winterstein (Photo: Business Wire) With 25 years of experience in strategy consulting and leadership in software and service organizations, Winterstein brings to the company a valuable combination of expertise in cloud solutions, business development, and value creation for customers and partners. As former Chief Strategy Officer of BravoSolution, he positioned the software-as-a-service company as trendsetting digitalization partner, extending it
Takeda Receives Positive CHMP Opinion Recommending ALUNBRIG® (brigatinib) for the Treatment of ALK+ Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer in Patients Previously Treated with Crizotinib21.9.2018 13:30 | Pressemelding
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE: 4502) today announced that the European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) has adopted a positive opinion, recommending the full approval of ALUNBRIG® (brigatinib) as a monotherapy for the treatment of adult patients with anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive (ALK+) advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) previously treated with crizotinib. ALUNBRIG is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) designed to target and inhibit the ALK mutation in NSCLC. Approximately three to five percent of NSCLC patients globally have the ALK mutation. If the CHMP opinion is affirmed, and the European Commission approves ALUNBRIG, it will become the only ALK inhibitor available in the European Union as a one tablet per day dose that can be taken with or without food. The randomized, global Phase 2 ALTA trial was designed to investigate the efficacy and safety of ALUNBRIG in patients with locally advanced or metastatic ALK+
Asda Selects HCL Technologies to Help Drive IT Transformation21.9.2018 12:16 | Pressemelding
HCL Technologies (HCL), a leading global technology company, today announced that it has been selected to help drive IT transformation at the UK’s third-largest grocery retailer, Asda. The three-year application services contract will see HCL transform Asda’s IT Application Services with a new DevOps delivery model to drive data and analytics and support back-office applications through the full lifecycle of development, testing and support. HCL will also build a central data management platform to enable Asda to improve its insight and analytics capabilities. Asda operates more than 600 stores across the UK, employing over 135,000 people. Asda wanted to adopt a more agile approach towards application development and testing. This would allow the company to respond faster to business requirements and reduce time to market, while driving better user experience and satisfaction. HCL was selected due to its extensive expertise in successfully delivering similar large scale IT transformati