QS Enrolment Solutions’ New Research Reveals Opportunities For European Universities To Celebrate, Measure and Communicate Teaching Quality
European universities must harness the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations, according to a new report from QS Enrolment Solutions, the student recruitment and retention solutions company. The unique survey spoke to 67,172 prospective international students, 28,838 of whom were considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia. The report argues that for Europe to maintain its status as a leading destination for Higher Education it must place greater emphasis on digital delivery and look at new ways to evaluate the quality of teaching at universities.
The Harnessing Opportunities in Global Higher Education report by QS Enrolment Solutions launched today (10 May 2018) is the sixth annual International Student Survey (ISS) by QS Enrolment Solutions – the largest of its kind – surveyed students from 191 countries who plan to study abroad.
Celebrating, measuring and communicating the quality of teaching
Teaching quality is of the utmost importance for prospective international students choosing between different institutions:
- The biggest indicator of teaching quality for international students is the university’s teaching staff, followed by having up-to-date technology.
- According to the international students surveyed, the top indicator of a good quality lecturer is that academic staff are passionate about the subject they teach, followed by them having ‘real-world’ experience extending beyond academia. The third biggest indicator of teaching quality in a lecturer is receiving positive reviews from students.
International students are increasingly looking to country-wide measurement schemes as a way of judging teaching quality, like the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in the UK:
- Among prospective international students, 68% claimed an equivalent of the TEF in other countries would increase the likelihood of them studying there, showing how much they value the ability to easily compare teaching quality between numerous institutions.
- Many prospective international students believe that performance in country-wide measurement schemes, such as the TEF, are a bigger indicator of teaching quality than performing well in some forms of rankings and league tables.
Andy Nicol, Managing Director of QS Enrolment Solutions said: “European Universities should continue to develop strategic approaches to international student recruitment, harnessing the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market. Our research has found that academic staff are one of universities’ biggest assets in recruiting international students. To effectively attract international students, universities should highlight the passion their staff have for the subjects they teach, and how their ‘real-world’ experience can prepare prospective students for their career post-university.
“The emphasis that international students place on teaching quality, and the measurement of it, presents policymakers and higher education markets across Europe with the opportunity to consider the possibility of introducing country-wide measurement schemes to evaluate teaching quality in any given country. In doing so, European markets may open themselves up to large groups of prospective students for whom teaching quality is their top priority.”
Harnessing the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations of the future of Higher Education
International students expect universities of the future to offer a very different experience to the universities of today where they envisage that the Higher Education sector will place far greater emphasis on digital delivery with most lectures being online. Those surveyed also said they see a positive future for the sector with more institutions and more people going to university. The top five characteristics selected when asked about how the sector could look in 10 years’ time were:
- Most lectures will be online
- Students will be able to get a qualification from any university regardless of which country they live in
- More people will go to university
- Universities will be part of continuous learning
- There will be more universities
Patrick Whitfield, Director of UK & Europe at QS Enrolment Solutions: “As the changing political and socio-economic dynamics influence the views of potential applicants, universities should continue to listen closely to international students. Institutions that listen, adapt and differentiate their offer, while developing strategic approaches to international student recruitment, will harness the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market.”
- ENDS -
Note to Editors:
- With offices in Australia, Malaysia and the UK, QS Enrolment Solutions (formerly known as Hobsons Solutions) is a global market leader in research and understanding of international and domestic students. Each year we deal with hundreds of thousands of students globally, giving us a unique insight into the student recruitment market. Our research, strategy, enquiry, admissions and enrolment services mean we have hands-on experience of the obstacles and opportunities within specific countries and regions, helping clients mitigate risk, benefit from our existing relationships, and build sustainable recruitment strategies in an increasingly complex marketplace.
- The International Student Survey 2018 was conducted by QS Enrolment Solutions from November 2017 to March 2018. The International Student Survey is the world’s largest survey of pre-enrolment for international and EU students.
- QS Enrolment Solutions partnered with 63 universities from around the world to survey their prospective student database. The survey sampled 67,172 prospective international students globally, with 191 nationalities represented. The size of the data set along with the number and quality of the responses has enabled very robust student segmentation and insight into the influences of international student’s decision-making processes, how they engage with universities, and what they expect from universities in the lead up to making their final decision.
- This EU report focuses on the responses provided by 28,838 prospective international students who identified that they are considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia.
- Additional regional reports have been produced as part of this series, including reports focusing on the UK, and Australia & New Zealand, as well as a global report.
- QS Enrolment Solutions formerly operated under the name Hobsons Solutions. On 6 October 2017, QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd announced the acquisition of the Hobsons Solutions business, the leading provider of international enrolment management solutions to universities worldwide. The acquisition will allow QS, a leading and trusted brand in higher education research and student information services, to build on its global product offering and realise data and service synergies with the Hobsons Solutions portfolio. For more on the acquisition, see here: http://www.qs.com/faq-items/qs-acquisition_2017/.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
WELL Building Standard Gaining Momentum in Europe18.5.2018 14:47 | Pressemelding
As Greenbuild Europe came to a close in Berlin, the International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI™) used the occasion to highlight how the WELL Building Standard™ (WELL™) has elevated health and well-being to the forefront of sustainability conversations across Europe. WELL continues to advance the healthy building movement as the premier standard for buildings, interior spaces and communities seeking to implement, validate and measure features that promote human health and wellness. The resonance of the program has spurred innovations across the building, design and construction industries, providing projects with customizable approaches to address geographical and cultural health concerns. To date, WELL has enrolled more than 830 projects encompassing over 155 million square feet of real estate in 32 countries worldwide. In Europe nearly 190 projects across 13 countries are engaged with WELL, representing 25% of global WELL project square footage. The strong growth of WELL over the pa
Utimaco Announces Intent to Acquire Atalla from Micro Focus18.5.2018 09:03 | Pressemelding
Utimaco, the global #2 in Hardware Security Modules (HSMs), today announced the intent to acquire the Atalla HSM and ESKM business lines from Micro Focus, which were previously owned by Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) prior to the September 2017 merger of its Software business with Micro Focus. Germany-based Utimaco, active in the HSM market for over 35 years, is a global manufacturer of general purpose HSMs. Utimaco has built its market leading position focusing on indirect sales through OEM or channel business partners and selling its SecurityServer product line into industries as diverse as automotive, government, media & entertainment, smart metering, semiconductors, telecommunications and the banking and financial services sectors. Utimaco is traditionally strong in its German home market based on its longstanding German banking association certification (DK) and has recently achieved PCI accreditation for the SecurityServer product line. With the acquisition of Atalla, one of th
Janssen to Present New Data in Urothelial, Haematologic and Prostate Cancers at ASCO 2018, including Best of ASCO Selections18.5.2018 07:00 | Pressemelding
The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, today announced 21 company-sponsored abstracts will be presented at the 2018 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL on June 1-5. New data analyses in support of a portfolio of products, including the investigational treatments erdafitinib and apalutamide, as well as approved treatments Imbruvica® (ibrutinib), Darzalex® (daratumumab), and Zytiga® (abiraterone acetate) will be highlighted across urothelial, haematologic and prostate cancers. Notably, Phase 2 trial results for the investigational compound erdafitinib, which received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Breakthrough Therapy Designation, will be presented during an oral presentation on Sunday, June 3 (Abstract #4503).1,2 For haematologic cancers, Phase 3 data from the iNNOVATE study will provide the first look at ibrutinib plus rituximab versus placebo plus rituximab in patients with newly diagnosed and relapsed/refractory Wald
Karisma Hotels & Resorts to Open Allure Palazzi Kotor Bay Hotel by Karisma in June 201818.5.2018 06:00 | Pressemelding
Karisma Hotels & Resorts, an award-winning luxury hotel collection which owns and manages properties in Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe, is pleased to announce the opening of Allure Palazzi Kotor Bay Hotel by Karisma in June 2018. Built from the ground up in Montenegro’s idyllic Dobrota, the exclusive five-star beachfront property seamlessly blends stunning architecture and design with its mountainous landscape, offering spellbinding views of Kotor Bay. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180517006456/en/ Rendering of Allure Palazzi Kotor Bay (Photo: Business Wire) Sitting on Kotor Bay’s only private beach, the resort features 89 premium guestrooms, 10 villas with private beachfront access, and three breathtaking penthouse suites, each with a balcony or terrace. Allure Palazzi Kotor Bay’s accommodations encompass sumptuous bedding, divine amenities, and carefully selected color palettes bringing the sunny
Siemens Financial Services Selects GTC’s @GlobalTrade Platform for Management of Export Documentary Credits18.5.2018 04:00 | Pressemelding
GlobalTrade Corporation (GTC) has announced today that Siemens Financial Services (SFS) has selected its @GlobalTrade Multi-bank Trade Finance Platform for management of its export documentary credits. The platform will be initially rolled out in Germany and thereafter expanded to Siemens entities globally. The system will electronically aggregate all incoming documentary credits in a global database, facilitate review and approval, assist in preparation of compliant documents and enable faster presentation of documents electronically to advising and issuing banks. Gerhard Heubeck, Head of Trade Finance Advisory at Siemens Financial Services, reasons the need for the new system implementation as follows: "After many years of using one of the first standard IT systems available for export documentary credits, the time has come to find a successor tool capable to meet the new requirements such as multi-client capability, processing of new SWIFT message formats, global accessibility, and
PayPal Significantly Expands Global Omnichannel Platform With Acquisition of iZettle17.5.2018 22:35 | Pressemelding
PayPal Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: PYPL) announced today that it has agreed to acquire iZettle, the leading small business commerce platform in Europe and Latin America, for $2.2 billion USD. The acquisition of iZettle significantly expands PayPal’s in-store presence, strengthening PayPal’s platform to help millions of small businesses around the world grow and thrive in an omnichannel retail environment. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180517006443/en/ Left to right: Jacob de Geer, CEO and Co-Founder of iZettle, Dan Schulman, President and CEO of PayPal, and Bill Ready, EVP, Chief Operating Officer of PayPal. (Photo: Business Wire) “Small businesses are the engine of the global economy and we are continuing to expand our platform to help them compete and win online, in-store and via mobile,” said PayPal President and CEO Dan Schulman. “iZettle and PayPal are a strategic fit, with a shared mission, values and cult