QS Enrolment Solutions’ New Research Reveals Opportunities For European Universities To Celebrate, Measure and Communicate Teaching Quality
European universities must harness the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations, according to a new report from QS Enrolment Solutions, the student recruitment and retention solutions company. The unique survey spoke to 67,172 prospective international students, 28,838 of whom were considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia. The report argues that for Europe to maintain its status as a leading destination for Higher Education it must place greater emphasis on digital delivery and look at new ways to evaluate the quality of teaching at universities.
The Harnessing Opportunities in Global Higher Education report by QS Enrolment Solutions launched today (10 May 2018) is the sixth annual International Student Survey (ISS) by QS Enrolment Solutions – the largest of its kind – surveyed students from 191 countries who plan to study abroad.
Celebrating, measuring and communicating the quality of teaching
Teaching quality is of the utmost importance for prospective international students choosing between different institutions:
- The biggest indicator of teaching quality for international students is the university’s teaching staff, followed by having up-to-date technology.
- According to the international students surveyed, the top indicator of a good quality lecturer is that academic staff are passionate about the subject they teach, followed by them having ‘real-world’ experience extending beyond academia. The third biggest indicator of teaching quality in a lecturer is receiving positive reviews from students.
International students are increasingly looking to country-wide measurement schemes as a way of judging teaching quality, like the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in the UK:
- Among prospective international students, 68% claimed an equivalent of the TEF in other countries would increase the likelihood of them studying there, showing how much they value the ability to easily compare teaching quality between numerous institutions.
- Many prospective international students believe that performance in country-wide measurement schemes, such as the TEF, are a bigger indicator of teaching quality than performing well in some forms of rankings and league tables.
Andy Nicol, Managing Director of QS Enrolment Solutions said: “European Universities should continue to develop strategic approaches to international student recruitment, harnessing the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market. Our research has found that academic staff are one of universities’ biggest assets in recruiting international students. To effectively attract international students, universities should highlight the passion their staff have for the subjects they teach, and how their ‘real-world’ experience can prepare prospective students for their career post-university.
“The emphasis that international students place on teaching quality, and the measurement of it, presents policymakers and higher education markets across Europe with the opportunity to consider the possibility of introducing country-wide measurement schemes to evaluate teaching quality in any given country. In doing so, European markets may open themselves up to large groups of prospective students for whom teaching quality is their top priority.”
Harnessing the opportunities presented by international students’ expectations of the future of Higher Education
International students expect universities of the future to offer a very different experience to the universities of today where they envisage that the Higher Education sector will place far greater emphasis on digital delivery with most lectures being online. Those surveyed also said they see a positive future for the sector with more institutions and more people going to university. The top five characteristics selected when asked about how the sector could look in 10 years’ time were:
- Most lectures will be online
- Students will be able to get a qualification from any university regardless of which country they live in
- More people will go to university
- Universities will be part of continuous learning
- There will be more universities
Patrick Whitfield, Director of UK & Europe at QS Enrolment Solutions: “As the changing political and socio-economic dynamics influence the views of potential applicants, universities should continue to listen closely to international students. Institutions that listen, adapt and differentiate their offer, while developing strategic approaches to international student recruitment, will harness the opportunities available within the global Higher Education market.”
- ENDS -
Note to Editors:
- With offices in Australia, Malaysia and the UK, QS Enrolment Solutions (formerly known as Hobsons Solutions) is a global market leader in research and understanding of international and domestic students. Each year we deal with hundreds of thousands of students globally, giving us a unique insight into the student recruitment market. Our research, strategy, enquiry, admissions and enrolment services mean we have hands-on experience of the obstacles and opportunities within specific countries and regions, helping clients mitigate risk, benefit from our existing relationships, and build sustainable recruitment strategies in an increasingly complex marketplace.
- The International Student Survey 2018 was conducted by QS Enrolment Solutions from November 2017 to March 2018. The International Student Survey is the world’s largest survey of pre-enrolment for international and EU students.
- QS Enrolment Solutions partnered with 63 universities from around the world to survey their prospective student database. The survey sampled 67,172 prospective international students globally, with 191 nationalities represented. The size of the data set along with the number and quality of the responses has enabled very robust student segmentation and insight into the influences of international student’s decision-making processes, how they engage with universities, and what they expect from universities in the lead up to making their final decision.
- This EU report focuses on the responses provided by 28,838 prospective international students who identified that they are considering studying in the following European countries: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Spain, the Czech Republic and Latvia.
- Additional regional reports have been produced as part of this series, including reports focusing on the UK, and Australia & New Zealand, as well as a global report.
- QS Enrolment Solutions formerly operated under the name Hobsons Solutions. On 6 October 2017, QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd announced the acquisition of the Hobsons Solutions business, the leading provider of international enrolment management solutions to universities worldwide. The acquisition will allow QS, a leading and trusted brand in higher education research and student information services, to build on its global product offering and realise data and service synergies with the Hobsons Solutions portfolio. For more on the acquisition, see here: http://www.qs.com/faq-items/qs-acquisition_2017/.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
China National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) Approves Gilead’s Vemlidy® (Tenofovir Alafenamide) for Chronic Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Infection19.11.2018 03:00 | Pressemelding
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) announced today that the China National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) has approved Vemlidy® (tenofovir alafenamide, TAF) 25 mg, a once-daily treatment for chronic hepatitis B in adults and adolescents (aged 12 years and older with body weight at least 35 kg). Vemlidy is a novel, targeted prodrug of tenofovir that has demonstrated antiviral efficacy similar to Gilead’s Viread® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, TDF) 300 mg but at one-tenth of the dose. Data show that because Vemlidy has greater plasma stability and more efficiently delivers tenofovir to hepatocytes compared to Viread, it can be given at a lower dose, resulting in less tenofovir in the bloodstream. In clinical trials, Vemlidy demonstrated improved renal and bone laboratory safety parameters compared to Viread. “With the approval of Vemlidy, physicians can now offer their patients a treatment that retains the efficacy of TDF while improving renal and bone safety parameters in cli
Celltrion Healthcare: Biosimilars Have the Potential to Deliver Dramatic Cost Savings for US and European Healthcare Systems19.11.2018 00:01 | Pressemelding
Celltrion Healthcare outlined their vision of ‘shaping future healthcare by improving access to biosimilars’ at the 5th Annual Biosimilars USA Conference in New Jersey, US. Biosimilars offer healthcare providers and patients greater treatment choice and value, better access to treatments and improved patient outcomes. According to data provided by IMS Health, biosimilars could lead to cumulative savings of up to 107 billion USD by 2020 in the United States (US) and the top five European Union (EU) countries.1 The EU has made significant progress in unlocking the potential of biosimilars through continuous education of providers, payers and patients. This has been critical to EU biosimilar acceptance but has not been seen in the US, which has lagged behind. During a presentation on the opportunities and challenges presented by the use of biosimilars in the US, Celltrion Healthcare highlighted several challenges affecting the uptake of biosimilars within the US market. Both physicians an
Abu Dhabi to Host Interfaith Alliance For Safer Communities: Child Dignity in the Digital World Forum on 19 November17.11.2018 13:40 | Pressemelding
Held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, the UAE will host the first edition of the Interfaith Alliance For Safer Communities Forum on November 19-20 in recognition of the country’s leading role in promoting tolerance and interfaith dialogue. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181117005008/en/ His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces (Photo: AETOSWire) The forum will host 450 guests including religious leaders, NGOs and heads of industry to discuss ongoing social challenges and develop comprehensive solutions for protecting youth from cybercrime. The Interfaith Alliance For Safer Communities Forum is an expansion of the Child Dignity in the Digital World Congress which was held in October 2017 in the Vatican, an
Philip Morris International and Dorna Switch Gears in Quest for a World without Tobacco Smoke17.11.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) (NYSE:PM) and Dorna Sports S.L., the commercial rights holder for the world FIM MotoGP Championships, have extended their partnership until the end of 2021. The two organizations have collaborated successfully for 26 years. As of 2019, the partnership will focus on advancing the cause of a smoke-free world. More than 1 billion people smoke today and, according to the World Health Organization, will continue to smoke in the near future. PMI has committed to transform its business and encourage all men and women who would otherwise continue smoking to replace cigarettes with better alternatives as soon as possible. With around 350 million MotoGP fans worldwide, MotoGP can play a significant role in positively impacting the lives of people who smoke and those around them. “The best choice for consumers concerned about the health risks of smoking is to quit tobacco and nicotine altogether. Today, however, technology, science and innovation provide a r
Schlumberger Announces Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2018 Results Conference Call16.11.2018 18:00 | Pressemelding
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on January 18, 2019 to discuss the results for the fourth quarter and full year ending December 31, 2018. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 8:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (800) 288-8967 within North America or +1 (612) 333-4911 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call, and ask for the “Schlumberger Earnings Conference Call.” A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until February 18, 2019, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (800)
Visa Strengthens Commitment to Growing Digital Payments in India16.11.2018 14:33 | Pressemelding
Visa (NYSE: V) today announced a minority investment in BillDesk, a leading platform for online payments and bill payments in India. Visa’s investment and collaboration will help BillDesk develop new product lines for its payments and loyalty businesses and also expand its footprint into other geographies. The investment will be subject to necessary statutory approvals and is expected to have no direct bearing on Visa’s existing Indian business. “As a leading payments player in India, BillDesk has been a long time business partner to Visa. Having worked with BillDesk’s founders over the years, the Visa leadership has been consistently impressed with their vision, market knowledge and execution capabilities, as well as alignment on values. This investment further reinforces our long-term commitment to India’s digital payments growth story,” said Asia Pacific regional president, Chris Clark. “We are truly excited by this investment from the world's largest global payment network, Visa. W