Panasonic to Launch Face Recognition Server Software Using Deep Learning Technology
Panasonic Corporation announced that it will release face recognition server software using deep learning technology in July 2018 outside Japan and in August 2018 in Japan.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180226005603/en/
Panasonic's face recognition server software WV-ASF950 (Graphic: Business Wire)
Featuring a core engine that boasts the world's highest face recognition performance(*1), this high-precision face recognition software can identify faces that are difficult to recognize with conventional technologies, including faces at an angle of up to 45 degrees to the left or right or 30 degrees up or down, and those partially hidden by sunglasses.
In addition, the new software features the "iA (intelligent Auto) mode"(*2) that automatically adjusts settings for the camera to shoot optimal images best suited for face recognition. When it is used with Panasonic’s i-PRO EXTREME series network cameras installed with the “Best Shot License Key” that comes bundled with the software, only the “Best Shots” will be sent to the server for face recognition. The combination of Panasonic core devices and the face recognition software maximizes the performance of the software’s core engine to achieve high-precision recognition. The company plans to add a function to recognize partially covered faces with a surgical mask, which is difficult with conventional systems, by the end of this year.
Furthermore, using this software with cameras equipped with the iA function enables image analysis to be performed on the camera instead of the server to send only the best images to the server. This will result in reducing server and network loads, which leads to overall system cost reductions. In the case of 10 or more network cameras are connected to the system, the costs can be reduced by about 40 to 50% compared to conventional systems that do not use the Best Shot function.
Panasonic will continue to improve its security-related products and provide various solutions to meet increasingly diversifying and evolving customer needs, such as face recognition solutions for integrated management with a monitoring system. By providing these solutions, the company is aiming to become a “total integrator” capable of contributing to customers’ frontline operations.
Panasonic’s Deep Learning Face Recognition Software has the following features:
1. High precision:
- The world's highest face recognition engine as evaluated by NIST (IJB-A face challenge)
- iA function and Best Shot images maximize face recognition engine performance and provide high recognition precision
2. System cost reduction: Send only the "Best Shot" images to reduce server load and network load
3. System expandability:
- Register up to 30,000 faces (Available as an option)
- Integrated management with i-PRO monitoring system: Enables integrated management of a face recognition system and monitoring system with the same GUI
*1 In April 2017, the product achieved the highest level of face recognition performance in the world in a comparison test (IJB-A Face Verification Challenge Performance Report/IJB -A Face Identification Challenge Performance Report) of NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) of the United States, one of the most authoritative institutes in the world.
*2 A function that utilizes the technology of Panasonic's "LUMIX" consumer digital cameras to capture optimal images for face recognition by automatically detecting moving objects, movement speed, faces, and light intensity (whether the scene is day or night) found in video that are usually hard to see due to subject movement and backlight, in order to enable real-time optimization of settings
With the rapid popularization of IoT and AI, initiatives for connecting various types of information to make life more convenient are taking place in every industrial sector. A new technology called "deep learning" is being utilized in order to achieve this. Panasonic has adopted this deep learning technology in its face recognition products for the security industry. This has led to the successful development and commercialization of the face recognition technology that overcomes the difficulties of conventional technologies, such as recognizing faces when they are tilted, changed by aging, or partially hidden with sunglasses. Panasonic will offer this product as a personal recognition solution for video security in various situations, such as the monitoring of public facilities and entry management.
1. High precision:
Top-tier face recognition engine evaluated by NIST (IJB-A face challenge)
- The deep learning technology used in the new software was jointly developed with the National University of Singapore and improves face recognition performance by up to 500%(*3) compared to conventional systems.
*3 Rejection rate reduced to 20% when the wrong person acceptance rate is set to 0.01 with the IJB-A face image dataset.
- A unique algorithm that combines deep learning, a machine learning method, with a similarity calculation method that suppresses errors, enables recognition in situations that were difficult with conventional face recognition technology, such as when the face is angled (up to 45 degrees to the left or right or 30 degrees up or down), partially hidden with sunglasses or a surgical mask(*4), or changed by aging.
*4 Scheduled for launch by the end of 2018
iA function and Best Shot images maximize face recognition engine performance and provide high recognition precision
- The iA function enables cameras to automatically detect the scene and automatically optimize the settings accordingly to improve the detectability of the video images. The camera automatically detects moving objects, movement speed, faces, and light intensity (day/night/headlights) found in video that are usually hard to see due to subject movement and backlight, and optimizes the settings in real-time and capture more optimal video of the subject.
- The Best Shot License Key included with this software can be installed on Panasonic i-PRO EXTREME series network cameras (sold separately) to automatically select the images suitable for face recognition from the multiple face images captured when a person passes in front of the camera, and send only those selected images to the server. This enables high-quality images suitable for face recognition to be sent without putting a load on the server.
2. System cost reduction:
Send only the Best Shot images to reduce server load and network load
- With conventional face recognition systems, all captured images are sent to the server, and the server performs face detection and face recognition, which concentrates the load of data processing on the server. Systems also tend to be large-scale because of the large bandwidth required to send all the images and the high capacity hard drive space required to save those images.
- Using Panasonic's system that combines this product with cameras that include the iA function allows faces to be detected by the camera and only the Best Shot images that contain faces to be sent to the server, which dramatically decreases network load and eliminates the need for large bandwidth. Performing facial recognition on the server using the Best Shot images reduces server load and hard drive capacity requirements as well as permitting up to 20*5 network cameras to be connected to a single server.
- With this Panasonic system, it is no longer necessary to send the data-intensive high resolution images to a server, unlike conventional systems. This delivers high-precision face recognition while dramatically decreasing network traffic, transmission costs, and network construction costs.
- When using Panasonic's system with 10 or more network cameras connected, costs can be reduced by about 40 to 50% compared to conventional systems that do not use the Best Shot function.
*5 The number of cameras that can be connected depends on the number of people passing by the camera and the retention period for face images.
3. System expandability:
Register up to 30,000 faces (Option sold separately)
Simple batch registration of a maximum of 10,000 faces is possible with the standard Face Recognition Server Software (WV-ASF950). The optional Face Registration Expansion Kit (WV-ASFE951W) enables registration of up to 30,000 faces at large-scale facilities.
Integrated management with i-PRO monitoring system
Face detection, face recognition, and tracking with recorded video can be performed in the same GUI by performing integrated management with the WV-ASM300 or WV-ASE231W client software for Panasonic i-PRO monitoring systems. This eliminates the need for the dedicated operation and management required for conventional face recognition systems and enables work to be centralized.
-Face Recognition Server Software
Number of faces: Up to 10,000 faces can be registered. This number can be expanded to a maximum of 30,000 faces by using the Face Registration Expansion Kit.
Number of cameras: Up to four cameras can be connected.
This number can be expanded to a maximum of 20 cameras by using the Existing Camera Expansion Kit WV-ASFE901 (x 1) and WV-ASFE904 (x 4).
-Face Registration Expansion Kit
Expands the number of faces that can be registered from the standard number of 10,000 to 20,000 (with one license) or 30,000 (with two licenses).
[Video] Face Recognition Server Software Using Deep Learning Technology
Security cameras & CCTV / surveillance systems
[Press Release] Panasonic's Facial Recognition Gate Selected by Ministry
of Justice (Dec 15, 2017)
[Video] Panasonic's Facial Recognition Gate @ Tokyo International Airport
Global Communications Department
Global PR Office
Click here to go to Media Contact form
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
LIAF: Experts at the European Parlament - E-Cigarettes Are a Potential Game Changer for European Health20.3.2018 18:27 | Pressemelding
The following is a statement from LIAF – Lega Italiana Anti Fumo: The panel discussion at the EU Parliament recognises the potential benefits of electronic cigarettes and for European countries to treat these products as regular consumer products to ensure equal access for all Europeans. Following a debate in which leading scientific experts presented the state-of-the-art evidence around e-cigarettes, it became clear that public health is increasingly moving on from an approach that solely advocates ‘quit-or-die’ to a harm reduction strategy. “I’m glad to have brought the Parliament attention to this important issue for public health. Today we have listened to the results of scientific studies and researches from a high-level expert’s roundtable, which have illustrated to us the advantages of electronic cigarettes and the potential public health benefits that these products pose when compared to the conventional cigarettes. As decision-makers, we need to take into considerations these
Morinaga Milk's New Probiotic Strain, Bifidobacterium breve A1, May Prevent Onset of Alzheimer's Disease20.3.2018 18:00 | Pressemelding
Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd. (TOKYO:2264), a leading Japanese dairy product company, today announced the results of a new study investigating the preventive effects of its new probiotic strain Bifidobacterium breve A1 on a model of Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers found that B. breve A1 improved spatial recognition capability, as well as learning and memory capabilities, in cognitively deficient mice, indicating it could play an important role in preventing the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease in humans.1 This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180320005052/en/ (Fig. 1) Effects of B. Breve A1 in improving spatial recognition, learning and memory capabilities (Graphic: Business Wire) The number of patients affected by dementia is increasing worldwide. One report estimates there were 46.8 million people worldwide living with dementia in 2015 and projects this number will reach 131.5 million by 2050.2 Alzheimer’s disease
Dubai Breaks Ground on World’s Biggest CSP Project20.3.2018 16:10 | Pressemelding
HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, broke ground on the 4th phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park. This is the biggest Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) investment project in the world, based on the Independent Power Producer (IPP) model, and will generate 700MW on a single site. It will have the world’s tallest solar tower at 260 metres, and the largest thermal energy storage capacity in the world. It will provide clean energy to 270,000 residences, reducing 1.4 million tonnes of carbon emissions annually. The project will use two technologies: a 600MW parabolic basin complex and a 100MW solar tower, over 43 square kilometres. This project, with AED14.2 billion in investments, achieved the lowest Levelised Cost of Electricity (LCOE) of USD 7.3 cents per kW/h. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180320006214/en/ Dubai breaks groun
Edgecore Networks Introduces 400G Open Networking20.3.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
OCP Summit – Edgecore Networks, the leader in open networking, today announced its contribution to the Open Compute Project (OCP) of the design of a 400 Gigabit Ethernet (400G) data center switch, the industry’s first 400G open design, that will enable public and private network operators to increase dramatically the capacity of their infrastructures. “Four years ago, Edgecore contributed the industry’s first OCP-ACCEPTED™ network product, a 10G top-of-rack switch,” said George Tchaparian, CEO, Edgecore Networks. “Since then, we have contributed over 15 network product designs as open networking technology and deployments grew to include 25G/100G data center fabrics, deep-buffer data center interconnect switches, service provider access infrastructures, open modular chassis, and campus/branch/wireless networks. Now, Edgecore is introducing the industry’s first 400G open network switch, enabling network operators to respond to growing demands for network capacity, and increasing the ban
Technics Organizes World's First Full Turntable Orchestra20.3.2018 14:48 | Pressemelding
On March 20, 2018, the "Record Day," Panasonic Corporation released the video of the world's first full orchestra performance featuring Technics "turntables (analog record players)" as the only instruments, under the Technics brand's theme, "Rediscover Music." This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180320006023/en/ World's First Full Turntable Orchestra organized by Technics (Photo: Business Wire) Videos: - THE PHILHARMONIC TURNTABLE ORCHESTRA https://youtu.be/JGWuyMKT8wU - BEHIND THE BEATS : THE PHILHARMONIC TURNTABLE ORCHESTRA https://youtu.be/J2KK3vqJqog "The Philharmonic Turntable Orchestra" special website Thirty renowned DJs from around the world, including DJ Rena, the reigning Japanese world champion (youngest ever world champion in history), who took the "DMC World Championship" title in 2017 at just 12 years old*, came together to create the world's first "turntable orchestra." Using the Technics' iconic tu
Bentley Systems' Year in Infrastructure 2018 Conference and Awards Gala to be Held in London, Oct. 15-1820.3.2018 14:30 | Pressemelding
Bentley Systems, Incorporated, a leading global provider of comprehensive software solutions for advancing infrastructure, today announced that the Year in Infrastructure 2018 Conference will be held Oct. 15 through 18 in London at the Hilton London Metropole. Presented by Bentley Institute, the conference is a global gathering of leading industry executives and prominent thought leaders in the design, construction, and operations of the world’s infrastructure. The theme of this year’s conference is Going Digital: Advancements in Infrastructure. The conference features nearly 70 speakers and more than 50 informative sessions, including keynotes by leading industry experts, interactive workshops, forums, panel discussions, and product demonstrations. Attendees can visit the Technology Pavilion, which features exhibits and presentations from Bentley Systems and its strategic partners Microsoft, Siemens, Topcon, and Bureau Veritas. On the first day of the conference, Bentley Institute wil