New GSMA Report Highlights Mobile Industry Progress in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
At the United Nations General Assembly Week, the GSMA today published the ‘2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals’, the second annual study assessing the mobile industry’s impact in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to measuring the progress that the mobile industry is making against the SDGs, the report also noted several commitments and initiatives that the GSMA and its members will focus on delivering over the next year, contributing to further success with the SDGs.
“Mobile operators around the world are working to deploy mobile-enabled solutions that drive greater inclusion in cities and remote communities, enable access to essential services such as health and education, create employment opportunities and empower people with the tools to reduce poverty and inequality,” said Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA. “I am proud of the strong progress that we are making, but we must continue to amplify and accelerate our collective efforts to realise the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
The latest report finds that during 2016, the mobile industry increased its impact across all 17 SDGs, with the greatest improvement in SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 13 (Climate Action). The study identified three key trends that contributed to this positive progress:
- Better Networks – Mobile operators have invested heavily in expanding infrastructure and improving quality of service. As of the end of 2016, more than half the world’s population was within reach of a 4G network, while nearly 85 per cent had access to 3G networks. With broader coverage, improved network quality and increased resilience, mobile networks also play a critical role before and during epidemics, conflicts and natural or climate-related disasters, supporting emergency communication and broadcast services and providing accurate and timely information on the movement of affected populations.
- Greater Connectivity – Operators continue to connect the unconnected. At the end of 2016, the total number of mobile subscribers reached 4.8 billion and 3.5 billion people used mobile to access the internet. The benefits of this are wide-ranging, with connectivity driving improvements in economic growth through improved productivity, infrastructure development and efficiency. Operators have been particularly proactive in pursuing more innovative solutions to roll out mobile networks in remote areas, making mobile services more affordable to the poorest individuals and driving efforts to accelerate digital inclusion for women.
- Increased Use of Mobile – Users are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how they use mobile devices and are starting to access more advanced mobile-enabled services. In 2016, the number of registered mobile money accounts surpassed half a billion, giving users greater access to financial services that enable them to make investments and manage expenses. Additionally, the number of social media users on mobile reached 2.5 billion, helping promote social and political inclusion and facilitating the development of education networks.
Overall, the industry’s contribution was the strongest around SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 13 (Climate Action), and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities). Even with this positive momentum, mobile operators and the broader mobile ecosystem still have much to do to contribute to achieving the SDGs. In the report, the GSMA outlined several commitments and initiatives that the industry will be focusing on over the next year to drive further progress against the SDGs, including:
- Big Data for Social Good – This initiative leverages mobile operators’ big data capabilities to address humanitarian crises, including epidemics and natural disasters.
- National Dialogues for Digital Impact – This initiative focuses on delivering the SDGs at a local level, through work with key government ministries and leaders of the mobile industry.
- We Care Campaign – In Latin America and the Caribbean, 45 mobile operators in 13 countries have joined forces to ensure that users can enjoy the transformative benefits of mobile technology in a safe and reliable environment.
- Connected Women Commitment Initiative – This initiative supports mobile operator efforts in low- and middle-income countries to reduce the gender gap in mobile internet and mobile money by 2020.
- IoT Big Data - The GSMA is working to establish an IoT Big Data Ecosystem to encourage a common approach to data sharing that will help IoT realise its full potential and encourage the development of new projects across transport, the environment and smart cities.
- GSMA Mobile for Development Initiatives – Working with a range of stakeholders, GSMA Mobile for Development is leading a number of projects to drive progress across the SDGs, in areas such as disaster response, mobile money, utilities, agriculture and health, among others.
- Partnerships for the Goals – Partnerships with different entities, including the UN, will look at new business models and mechanisms to support the implementation of the SDGs, and engage governments and mobile industry leaders to increase the positive social impact of mobile technologies.
“From services such as mobile money and mobile agriculture, to the Internet of Things and the 5G networks of the future, we’re making a difference to the lives of people around the world and helping to preserve and protect our planet,” continued Granryd. “Of course, this is not something we can accomplish alone as individuals, as companies, even as an industry; we must work together, united, to make the 2030 agenda a reality.”
To download the 2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other resources, visit: www.gsma.com/2017sdgimpactreport.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
Om Business Wire
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Sagemcom Unveils the Next-Generation Multi-Gigabit Solutions23.10.2017 16:05 | Pressemelding
AFTER THE SUCCESS OF ITS ONE GIGABIT GATEWAY RANGE, SAGEMCOM RELEASES TO THE OPERATORS THE NEXT GENERATION MULTI-GIGABIT GATEWAYS – VDSL 35B / G.FAST / PON, 2.5G/10G PON, DOCSIS 3.1 – INTEGRATING HIGH EFFICIENCY 802.11AX Wi-Fi, IN ADDITION TO NEW SMART HOME CONNECTIVITY SOLUTIONS INCLUDING DISTRIBUTED WI-FI, VOICE CONTROL AND HOME AUTOMATION. The VDSL 35B / G.fast / FTTH / PON universal gateway, F@st 5380, integrates G.fast 212MHz, GPON and 802.11ax Wi-Fi, enabling the operators to deliver Multi-Gigabit end-to-end services, and to meet the growing bandwidth required by the end-users. F@st 5380 benefits from the last innovations of the in-house field proven Sagemcom SWANTM software suite including big data, Wi-Fi distribution, smart diagnostics… The next generation Fiber gateways range includes two products: F@st 5688ax for 10G PON (XGS-PON
Moody’s Analytics Launches the CreditLens™ Platform23.10.2017 15:43 | Pressemelding
Moody’s Analytics has launched the CreditLens platform, our next-generation credit origination and risk monitoring solution. This new platform offers flexibility, configurability, and efficiency to lending institutions striving to establish smarter and leaner loan origination practices. The CreditLens platform reduces time-to-decision while tapping into powerful models and insightful analytics that help lenders manage risk and drive productivity. Lenders gain efficiency from the solution’s automated spreading capability and a flexible model authoring module. They also gain deep insights from built-in Moody’s Analytics Risk Grading features and Business Insights dashboards, which provide a complete view of the lender’s credit relationships. Automation in the platform also reduces errors and preserves data lineage throughout the credit assessment and origination process.
Knopp Biosciences Announces Renewal of NIH Blueprint Grant Award for Advancing KCNQ2 Modulators in Epilepsy23.10.2017 15:11 | Pressemelding
Knopp Biosciences LLC today announced the renewal and expansion of its grant award from the National Institutes of Health Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network to advance novel treatments for epilepsy. The Phase 2 award under the NIH Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program anticipates NIH support of up to $2 million over the next three years of the project, subject to satisfactory completion of milestones. The renewal follows the successful completion of all milestones under a previously awarded Phase 1 grant of $400,000. Knopp is directing its potassium channel activator program to preclinical and clinical development of small-molecule drug candidates against a validated, anti-seizure pharmaceutical target encoded by the KCNQ2 gene. Knopp intends to advance novel, small-molecule KCNQ2 activators in neonatal epileptic encephalopathy, a rare disorder caused by inherit
HCL Technologies Powers Volvo Ocean Race 2017-1823.10.2017 13:02 | Pressemelding
The 2017-18 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race was flagged off at Alicante, Spain, with HCL Technologies as the strategic IT services provider. The leading global IT services company has provided end-to-end infrastructure support as well as connectivity between the Race Village and the Command Centre in Alicante further connecting them to 12 Host Cities on the race route globally. The world's longest and toughest professional sporting event began at Alicante and will finish eight months later at The Hague. At the flag-off, Jordi Neves, Chief Digital Officer, Volvo Ocean Race, said: “Over four decades, Volvo Ocean Race has drawn some of the greatest ever sailors. This edition of the race will be more digitally focused than before, with HCL as the strategic IT services provider. This edition is also special for us as we embark on a major Sustainability Program in partnership wi
CES Unveiled Paris Returns Tomorrow for Fifth Year with 70+ Exhibitors23.10.2017 13:00 | Pressemelding
Consumer Technology Association (CTA): WHAT: CES Unveiled Paris returns to Paris tomorrow, for its fifth consecutive year, hosting more than 70 exhibitors. More than 600 attendees are expected at the event which will unite French tech startups, top media, buyers and industry influencers around the latest tech innovation and provide a preview of CES® 2018. Schedule as follows:
Wipro Cited as a Leader in Everest Group PEAK Matrix™ for IT Security Services23.10.2017 12:59 | Pressemelding
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, today announced that it has been recognized as a ‘Leader’ by Everest Group, a global independent consulting and research firm, in its report titled “IT Security Services- Market Trends and PEAK MatrixTM Assessment 2017: Security- the Biggest Digital Insecurity”. The report analyzed the capabilities of 17 leading global IT service providers on Everest Group’s PEAK Matrix. Wipro has been named as a Leader for its strong global delivery network with a transformational mind-set, and its ability to deliver high quality of services across regions and service segments, in terms of both execution and responsiveness. The report highlights the trends influencing the IT security services market, focusing on the increasing complexities, size and
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom