New GSMA Report Highlights Mobile Industry Progress in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
At the United Nations General Assembly Week, the GSMA today published the ‘2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals’, the second annual study assessing the mobile industry’s impact in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to measuring the progress that the mobile industry is making against the SDGs, the report also noted several commitments and initiatives that the GSMA and its members will focus on delivering over the next year, contributing to further success with the SDGs.
“Mobile operators around the world are working to deploy mobile-enabled solutions that drive greater inclusion in cities and remote communities, enable access to essential services such as health and education, create employment opportunities and empower people with the tools to reduce poverty and inequality,” said Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA. “I am proud of the strong progress that we are making, but we must continue to amplify and accelerate our collective efforts to realise the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
The latest report finds that during 2016, the mobile industry increased its impact across all 17 SDGs, with the greatest improvement in SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 13 (Climate Action). The study identified three key trends that contributed to this positive progress:
- Better Networks – Mobile operators have invested heavily in expanding infrastructure and improving quality of service. As of the end of 2016, more than half the world’s population was within reach of a 4G network, while nearly 85 per cent had access to 3G networks. With broader coverage, improved network quality and increased resilience, mobile networks also play a critical role before and during epidemics, conflicts and natural or climate-related disasters, supporting emergency communication and broadcast services and providing accurate and timely information on the movement of affected populations.
- Greater Connectivity – Operators continue to connect the unconnected. At the end of 2016, the total number of mobile subscribers reached 4.8 billion and 3.5 billion people used mobile to access the internet. The benefits of this are wide-ranging, with connectivity driving improvements in economic growth through improved productivity, infrastructure development and efficiency. Operators have been particularly proactive in pursuing more innovative solutions to roll out mobile networks in remote areas, making mobile services more affordable to the poorest individuals and driving efforts to accelerate digital inclusion for women.
- Increased Use of Mobile – Users are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how they use mobile devices and are starting to access more advanced mobile-enabled services. In 2016, the number of registered mobile money accounts surpassed half a billion, giving users greater access to financial services that enable them to make investments and manage expenses. Additionally, the number of social media users on mobile reached 2.5 billion, helping promote social and political inclusion and facilitating the development of education networks.
Overall, the industry’s contribution was the strongest around SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 13 (Climate Action), and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities). Even with this positive momentum, mobile operators and the broader mobile ecosystem still have much to do to contribute to achieving the SDGs. In the report, the GSMA outlined several commitments and initiatives that the industry will be focusing on over the next year to drive further progress against the SDGs, including:
- Big Data for Social Good – This initiative leverages mobile operators’ big data capabilities to address humanitarian crises, including epidemics and natural disasters.
- National Dialogues for Digital Impact – This initiative focuses on delivering the SDGs at a local level, through work with key government ministries and leaders of the mobile industry.
- We Care Campaign – In Latin America and the Caribbean, 45 mobile operators in 13 countries have joined forces to ensure that users can enjoy the transformative benefits of mobile technology in a safe and reliable environment.
- Connected Women Commitment Initiative – This initiative supports mobile operator efforts in low- and middle-income countries to reduce the gender gap in mobile internet and mobile money by 2020.
- IoT Big Data - The GSMA is working to establish an IoT Big Data Ecosystem to encourage a common approach to data sharing that will help IoT realise its full potential and encourage the development of new projects across transport, the environment and smart cities.
- GSMA Mobile for Development Initiatives – Working with a range of stakeholders, GSMA Mobile for Development is leading a number of projects to drive progress across the SDGs, in areas such as disaster response, mobile money, utilities, agriculture and health, among others.
- Partnerships for the Goals – Partnerships with different entities, including the UN, will look at new business models and mechanisms to support the implementation of the SDGs, and engage governments and mobile industry leaders to increase the positive social impact of mobile technologies.
“From services such as mobile money and mobile agriculture, to the Internet of Things and the 5G networks of the future, we’re making a difference to the lives of people around the world and helping to preserve and protect our planet,” continued Granryd. “Of course, this is not something we can accomplish alone as individuals, as companies, even as an industry; we must work together, united, to make the 2030 agenda a reality.”
To download the 2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other resources, visit: www.gsma.com/2017sdgimpactreport.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Ant Financial to Share Full Suite of AI Capabilities with Asset Management Companies20.6.2018 01:10 | Pressemelding
Ant Financial Services Group (“Ant Financial” or “the Company”) today announced that the Company will share a full suite of AI capabilities with asset management companies in China to support their digital transformation. Following its successful launch last year, Caifuhao, an AI-powered corporate account on the Ant Fortune platform, has brought tangible benefits to 27 fund management companies. “By combining Ant Financial’s AI technologies with the capabilities of asset management companies in investor education and fund management, together we are making customized wealth management services more accessible for ordinary users,” said Eric Jing, Executive Chairman and CEO of Ant Financial. With the support of AI-powered services offered by their Caifuhao account, including operational optimization, content generation, compliance and risk management, 27 fund management companies have been able to increase their operational efficiency by 70% while reducing their overall costs by 50%. Add
Avalara Announces Closing of Initial Public Offering and Full Exercise of the Underwriters’ Option to Purchase Additional Shares19.6.2018 21:20 | Pressemelding
Avalara, Inc. (NYSE: AVLR) today announced the closing of its initial public offering of 8,625,000 shares of common stock, including the full exercise by the underwriters of their option to purchase 1,125,000 additional shares of common stock, at a price to the public of $24.00 per share. The shares began trading on the New York Stock Exchange on June 15, 2018 under the symbol “AVLR.” Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC, J.P. Morgan, and BofA Merrill Lynch acted as book-running managers for the offering. JMP Securities, KeyBanc Capital Markets, and Stifel acted as co-managers. The offering was made only by means of a prospectus. Copies of the final prospectus related to the offering may be obtained from Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC, Prospectus Department, 200 West Street, New York, NY 10282, or by telephone at 866-471-2526, or by email at email@example.com, or from J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, c/o Broadridge Financial Solutions, 1155 Long Island Avenue, Edgewood, NY 11717, or by telephone at
Unilever Calls on Content Creators and Distributors to Eradicate Stereotypes19.6.2018 17:42 | Pressemelding
Unilever is calling on content creators and distributors to act now to eliminate outdated stereotypes. The move marks the latest step in the company’s industry-leading Unstereotype initiative, which launched two years ago with the aim of eliminating harmful and diminishing portrayals of people across advertising. As part of its Unstereotype commitment Unilever is expanding that initiative across all forms of content and branded entertainment, and today announces a three-year multi-million-dollar deal with Rexona, the world’s biggest deodorant brand, and Simon Fuller’s XIX Entertainment. Rexona (also known as Sure, Degree and Shield depending on the country) will partner with NOW UNITED, the first ever global pop group comprised of 14 artists from 14 countries including Brazil, China, Germany, India, Philippines, Senegal, US and UK. Together, will co-create content across multiple channels that unites different cultures through the joy of dance, celebrating movement and inspiring people
Universal Laser Systems Expands Its Materials Database with Henkel, Hexcel and Saint-Gobain Materials19.6.2018 12:05 | Pressemelding
Universal Laser Systems (ULS) announces the addition of Henkel, Hexcel® and Saint-Gobain materials to its materials database, the most extensive repository of laser material processing parameters for materials in the range of 10 watts to 500 watts. The Henkel, Hexcel and Saint-Gobain materials new to the ULS materials database were specifically added for laser processing with the ULTRA and XLS platforms, suited for high accuracy and precision laser cutting, laser ablation and laser surface modification. The materials include: Henkel Bergquist™ Gap Pad® VO Thermal Material Henkel Bergquist™ Hi-Flow® 105 Thermal Material Henkel LOCTITE® EA 7000 AERO Film Henkel Hysol® EA 9696 AERO Film Henkel Bergquist™ Sil-Pad A2000 Thermal Material Hexcel® HexForce® 353 Aramid Fabric Hexcel® HexForce® 282 Carbon Fabric Saint-Gobain CHEMFILM® DF100 Cast PTFE Film Saint-Gobain CHEMFILM® ETFE-E2 Extruded Fluoropolymer Film Laser processing notes, describing the results of the laser-material interaction fo
Valence Advises Itaúsa on Sale of Brazilian Chemical Co Elekeiroz to H.I.G. Capital19.6.2018 11:57 | Pressemelding
The Valence Group acted as advisor to Itaúsa on its sale of Brazilian chemical company Elekeiroz for R$160 million (EV), reduced by the net debt and proportionate to its shareholding (96.5% of total capital stock). The Company is a leading local producer of oxo-alcohols, plasticizers and anhydrides. About Itaúsa Itaúsa is a Brazilian holding company which controls several companies active in areas such as the financial sector; industries include wood panels, bathroom fittings and fixtures; infra-structure; and retail. It is one of the largest private conglomerates in Brazil and one of the largest in the world. About Elekeiroz Founded in 1894 and headquartered in Várzea Paulista – São Paulo, Elekeiroz operates in the chemicals manufacturing market. Through two production sites in Várzea Paulista and Camaçari – Bahia, the Company’s portfolio includes Oxo-Alcohols, Plasticizers, Phthalic & Maleic Anhydrides, Sulfuric Acid and other by-products. Elekeiroz has a diversified client base, com
Dole Adds Industry Veteran Michael Solomon as President of Dole Fresh Vegetables19.6.2018 10:00 | Pressemelding
Dole Food Company, Inc. announced the appointment of Michael H. Solomon as the new President of Dole Fresh Vegetables effective June 18, 2018. As Dole Fresh Vegetables President, Solomon will have responsibility for all of the division's operations across North America. He will report directly to Dole Food Company President and Chief Executive Officer Johan Linden. With 30 years experience, including within the food and beverage industry, Solomon has a proven success record of taking high-performance brands to the next level, increasing performance and margins in sales, plant operations, and profit growth. Among other positions, Solomon has held roles of President of POM Wonderful and President and CEO of Ready Pac Foods, Inc., prior to joining Dole. “Michael has built an impressive track record of strategic, operational and commercial accomplishments,” said Johan Linden, President and Chief Executive Officer of Dole Food Company. “He has considerable experience and knowledge of the fr