New GSMA Report Highlights Mobile Industry Progress in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
At the United Nations General Assembly Week, the GSMA today published the ‘2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals’, the second annual study assessing the mobile industry’s impact in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to measuring the progress that the mobile industry is making against the SDGs, the report also noted several commitments and initiatives that the GSMA and its members will focus on delivering over the next year, contributing to further success with the SDGs.
“Mobile operators around the world are working to deploy mobile-enabled solutions that drive greater inclusion in cities and remote communities, enable access to essential services such as health and education, create employment opportunities and empower people with the tools to reduce poverty and inequality,” said Mats Granryd, Director General, GSMA. “I am proud of the strong progress that we are making, but we must continue to amplify and accelerate our collective efforts to realise the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
The latest report finds that during 2016, the mobile industry increased its impact across all 17 SDGs, with the greatest improvement in SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), and SDG 13 (Climate Action). The study identified three key trends that contributed to this positive progress:
- Better Networks – Mobile operators have invested heavily in expanding infrastructure and improving quality of service. As of the end of 2016, more than half the world’s population was within reach of a 4G network, while nearly 85 per cent had access to 3G networks. With broader coverage, improved network quality and increased resilience, mobile networks also play a critical role before and during epidemics, conflicts and natural or climate-related disasters, supporting emergency communication and broadcast services and providing accurate and timely information on the movement of affected populations.
- Greater Connectivity – Operators continue to connect the unconnected. At the end of 2016, the total number of mobile subscribers reached 4.8 billion and 3.5 billion people used mobile to access the internet. The benefits of this are wide-ranging, with connectivity driving improvements in economic growth through improved productivity, infrastructure development and efficiency. Operators have been particularly proactive in pursuing more innovative solutions to roll out mobile networks in remote areas, making mobile services more affordable to the poorest individuals and driving efforts to accelerate digital inclusion for women.
- Increased Use of Mobile – Users are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how they use mobile devices and are starting to access more advanced mobile-enabled services. In 2016, the number of registered mobile money accounts surpassed half a billion, giving users greater access to financial services that enable them to make investments and manage expenses. Additionally, the number of social media users on mobile reached 2.5 billion, helping promote social and political inclusion and facilitating the development of education networks.
Overall, the industry’s contribution was the strongest around SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), SDG 13 (Climate Action), and SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities). Even with this positive momentum, mobile operators and the broader mobile ecosystem still have much to do to contribute to achieving the SDGs. In the report, the GSMA outlined several commitments and initiatives that the industry will be focusing on over the next year to drive further progress against the SDGs, including:
- Big Data for Social Good – This initiative leverages mobile operators’ big data capabilities to address humanitarian crises, including epidemics and natural disasters.
- National Dialogues for Digital Impact – This initiative focuses on delivering the SDGs at a local level, through work with key government ministries and leaders of the mobile industry.
- We Care Campaign – In Latin America and the Caribbean, 45 mobile operators in 13 countries have joined forces to ensure that users can enjoy the transformative benefits of mobile technology in a safe and reliable environment.
- Connected Women Commitment Initiative – This initiative supports mobile operator efforts in low- and middle-income countries to reduce the gender gap in mobile internet and mobile money by 2020.
- IoT Big Data - The GSMA is working to establish an IoT Big Data Ecosystem to encourage a common approach to data sharing that will help IoT realise its full potential and encourage the development of new projects across transport, the environment and smart cities.
- GSMA Mobile for Development Initiatives – Working with a range of stakeholders, GSMA Mobile for Development is leading a number of projects to drive progress across the SDGs, in areas such as disaster response, mobile money, utilities, agriculture and health, among others.
- Partnerships for the Goals – Partnerships with different entities, including the UN, will look at new business models and mechanisms to support the implementation of the SDGs, and engage governments and mobile industry leaders to increase the positive social impact of mobile technologies.
“From services such as mobile money and mobile agriculture, to the Internet of Things and the 5G networks of the future, we’re making a difference to the lives of people around the world and helping to preserve and protect our planet,” continued Granryd. “Of course, this is not something we can accomplish alone as individuals, as companies, even as an industry; we must work together, united, to make the 2030 agenda a reality.”
To download the 2017 Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other resources, visit: www.gsma.com/2017sdgimpactreport.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Vertex Initiates First Phase 3 Study of VX-659, Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor as a Triple Combination Regimen for People with Cystic Fibrosis21.2.2018 21:01 | Pressemelding
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Nasdaq: VRTX) today announced that it is initiating the first Phase 3 study of VX-659, tezacaftor and ivacaftor as an investigational triple combination regimen for people with cystic fibrosis (CF) who have one F508del mutation and one minimal function mutation. The study will enroll 360 patients, and the primary endpoint of the study is the mean absolute change from baseline in percent predicted forced expiratory volume in one second (ppFEV1) at week four of treatment. The study is designed to support the submission of a New Drug Application (NDA) in the U.S. using data from the 4-week primary efficacy endpoint together with safety data through 12 weeks of treatment. “Our goal is to bring the best triple combination to patients as rapidly as possible, and this first Phase 3 study of VX-659 in combination with tezacaftor and ivacaftor is a significant step toward that goal,” said Jeffrey Chodakewitz, M.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Medical
Universal Laser Systems® Expands Portfolio of Laser Material Processing Systems with the ULTRA Platform Series21.2.2018 18:00 | Pressemelding
ULTRA platform-based laser systems are designed and ideally suited for precision laser cutting, laser ablation, and laser surface modification in manufacturing, research and development, academic research and prototyping environments. Major features of the series include rapid, high-accuracy laser beam positioning, and the flexibility to be configured with 9.3 and 10.6 µm CO2 lasers and 1.06 µm fiber lasers. All lasers are air-cooled in a range of power from 10 to 150 watts for CO2 and 40 to 50 watts for fiber lasers. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180221005364/en/ The ULTRA 9MW offers MultiWave processing of thin materials. (Photo: Business Wire) The variety of wavelengths and power ranges make the ULTRA platforms highly effective in the areas of organic material modification, including plastic films, industrial fabrics, engineering plastics, laminating adhesives, composite materials, and many others utilized
Luxoft One of Six Companies Collaborating with Amazon Web Services to Accelerate Blockchain Adoption21.2.2018 16:30 | Pressemelding
Luxoft Holding Inc (NYSE:LXFT), a global IT service provider, announces today that it is collaborating with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to enable corporates to adopt blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT). Luxoft is one of six IT and consulting services companies to make its blockchain advisory and development services available to AWS users. “We are very excited to be working with AWS to help users engage with blockchain and DLTs,” said Vasiliy Suvorov, Vice President of Technology Strategy at Luxoft. “Blockchain is about removing data silos, improving trust and operational efficiencies. By using AWS to deploy and integrate DLTs into day-to-day processes, businesses can revolutionize how they operate.” Luxoft helps accelerate the deployment and integration of blockchain and DLT-based projects on AWS and is already working on a number of DLT projects using the cloud. For example, Luxoft is building a healthcare claims processing system for a leading healthcare provider usin
Westinghouse Electric Company to Provide Engineering Support at Vandellós 1 in Partnership with EDF21.2.2018 16:30 | Pressemelding
Westinghouse Electric Company and Electricité de France (EDF), in partnership, announced today that they have been awarded a contract from Empresa Nacional de Residuos Radiactivos (ENRESA), the Spanish agency responsible for radioactive waste management and nuclear plant decommissioning. The agreement covers a four-year engineering support contract for the latency phase of the dismantling and decommissioning project at Vandellós I Nuclear Power Station in Spain and includes the preparation of technical and licensing documentation. “We are extremely pleased that ENRESA has selected Westinghouse and EDF to continue supporting the decommissioning activities at Vandellós I Nuclear Power Station,” said Yves Brachet, Westinghouse vice president, Global Decommissioning, Decontamination, Remediation and Waste Management. “This contract further demonstrates Westinghouse’s global capabilities and expertise in providing innovative decommissioning solutions.” Sylvain Granger, head of EDF's decommi
H.I.G. Europe Completes a Strategic Investment in Puerto de Indias Group21.2.2018 14:02 | Pressemelding
H.I.G. Capital (“H.I.G.”), a leading global private equity investment firm with more than €20 billion of equity capital under management, announced that one of its affiliates has acquired a majority interest in Puerto de Indias Group (“Puerto de Indias” or the “Company”), with the goal of accelerating the Company’s growth initiatives and supporting its expansion into international markets. Headquartered in Seville, Spain, Puerto de Indias was founded by Jose Antonio and Francisco Rodriguez Fernandez, and has become in a short period of time the leading player in the Rosé Gin market in Spain. Puerto de Indias has in place an ambitious international expansion plan targeting the development of a commercial network in Europe, the U.S., and Latin America, as well as strategic alliances with strong international distributors. Leopoldo Reaño, Principal at H.I.G. Europe, commented on the transaction: “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to support the management team led by Jose Antonio an
Savi Adds Supply Chain Star Johannes Giloth to Advisory Board21.2.2018 13:02 | Pressemelding
Savi®, an innovator in big data/machine learning analytic solutions, supply chain management software, and sensor technology, today announced that Johannes Giloth has joined its board of advisers. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180221005117/en/ Johannes Giloth (Photo: Business Wire) Giloth is a long-time leader in procurement, supply chain and manufacturing. He currently serves as Chief Procurement Officer and Senior Vice President of Operations at Nokia where he is in charge of every aspect of operations accountability worldwide — from demand planning to execution, procurement to manufacturing. “Johannes understands the impact the explosion of data will have on the supply chain. And his tremendous success as an innovative supply chain leader proves he knows what companies need to transform their supply chains,” said Rich Carlson, CEO of Savi Technology. “I’m thrilled to have him join Savi’s advisory board. As