Motion to Dismiss Filed by Property Owner to Defeat Government's Forfeiture of Warehouse
ONTARIO, Calif., Oct. 03, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, the owner of a Fontana, California warehouse filed a motion to dismiss a property forfeiture action filed by the government on September 14. The Fontana warehouse is one of four warehouses the government claims are subject to forfeiture because they were used to store aluminum pallets imported from China and owned by Perfectus Aluminum Inc. (the "Company").
The forfeiture claim against all the warehouses is grounded on the government's claim that the Company allegedly violated U.S. law in importing the pallets under false pretenses. But as set forth in the motion to dismiss, the Company did not violate any law in importing the pallets, as is evident from basic facts already acknowledged by the government to be true, and forfeiture is precluded in any event by the government's own conduct. The motion seeks dismissal based on the following legal grounds, among others:
- The forfeiture claim improperly seeks to retroactively apply a 2017 determination by the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) concerning aluminum pallets. At the time pallets were imported, the DOC had not clarified whether its orders concerning antidumping and countervailing duties related to aluminum extrusions from China (called AD/CVD Orders) applied to such pallets, which are finished products, not extrusions under the DOC rules. The DOC only this year determined that the AD/CVD Orders apply to such pallets, but that ruling is not yet final. Moreover, that ruling does not apply retroactively, and thus does not govern Perfectus' pallets, which were imported years ago. If anything, the recent DOC ruling underscores that the pallets were imported in good faith and that, until recently, the government treated the pallets as not subject to the AD/CVD Orders. DOC's ruling is also subject to judicial review by the Court of International Trade, and Perfectus intends to commence an action in that court once the DOC ruling is finalized, which for unexplained reasons has been atypically delayed by the government.
- In light of the DOC rulings that existed at the time the pallets were imported - those prior to the new 2017 DOC ruling - Perfectus' classification of its pallets was proper, and was made in good faith. That, coupled with the government's own acquiescence and inaction, negates the government's baseless contention that Perfectus made "knowingly false" statements to avoid the AD/CVD Orders and related duties.
- The government has already inspected Perfectus' pallets on multiple occasions over the past six years. Each time, it explicitly or implicitly certified that Perfectus paid all appropriate duties. Claiming-several years later-that these same pallets were actually smuggled into the country, seizing them along with the warehouses that stored them, and attempting to extract a punitive levy is a clear violation of due process.
- There has been an unreasonable, unjustifiable delay between the import of the pallets and the initiation of these forfeiture proceedings. The government previously argued that it would present evidence justifying the detention of Perfectus' property at a later date-but, ultimately, it simply stonewalled for a year, selectively leaking information to news media while keeping the information from Perfectus.
The owner of the Fontana warehouse filed the motion to dismiss with the Court on October 3, 2017.
Please address any questions to Harris, Baio & McCullough at 215-440-9800.
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Perfectus Aluminum Inc. via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Bombardier Delivers First 90-seat Q400 Aircraft to SpiceJet21.9.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
SpiceJet becomes the first airline to take advantage of the Q400 aircraft’s increased profit potential TORONTO, Sept. 21, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bombardier Commercial Aircraft today announced the delivery of its first 90-seat Q400 aircraft. The aircraft was handed over to India’s SpiceJet Limited (“SpiceJet”) the launch operator for the extra-capacity, 90-seat aircraft. “We are excited to induct the 90-seat Q400 aircraft into our fleet,” said Ajay Singh, Chairman and Managing Director, SpiceJet. “The additional seats and performance improvements will result in substantial reduction in unit costs and also we will enable us to address our market needs in the regional space.” “The delivery of the first 90-seat Q400 aircraft showcases the commitment of Bombardier’s Q Series turboprop program to respond to customer requirements as they address traffic growth in regional markets,” said Todd Young, Head of the Q Series Aircraft Program, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. “I thank and congratul
Service Providers Speed Deployment, Reduce Costs with Patton Cloud Edge Orchestration Service20.9.2018 22:16 | Pressemelding
Now, Telecom and UCaaS service providers can easily provision, manage, monitor, secure, alert, troubleshoot, analyze, and optimize services on the customer premise GAITHERSBURG, Md., Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Patton Electronics—US-manufacturer of UC, cloud, and IoT-enabling solutions for carrier, enterprise, and industrial networks—has launched the new Patton Cloud service for carriers and service providers that deliver All-IP and hybrid voice-and-data services to business subscribers. Patton Cloud delivers a low-cost, easy-to-use, web-based edge-orchestration service that delivers a superior user experience. It offers remote touchless provisioning, monitoring, and troubleshooting—as well as security and alerting tools that reduce service turn-up costs, trouble tickets, and subscriber attrition. The Patton Cloud service offers quality-control mechanisms including pro-active monitoring and troubleshooting—combined with feature-license distribution pools for managing value-added
Inspirata Promotes Top Executives to Expanded Roles in Digital Pathology20.9.2018 21:12 | Pressemelding
Inspirata Founder and Executive Vice President, Mark Lloyd, is taking on an expanded role overseeing product management, and Inspirata Senior Vice President, Andrew Chomos, has been appointed to General Manager, Digital Pathology, overseeing the Center of Excellence in Pittsburgh along with all North America sales and customer support efforts. Tampa, FL, Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cancer informatics and digital pathology workflow solution provider Inspirata®, Inc. announced today that two of its executives have taken on expanded roles in the company. The two are Inspirata Executive Vice President and Founder, Mark Lloyd, and Senior Vice President and General Manager, Digital Pathology, Andrew Chomos. Dr. Lloyd has accepted the expansion of his role to include product management for Digital Pathology. He is former cancer researcher at both Lombardi Cancer and Moffitt Cancer Center and is Inspirata’s foremost subject matter expert and thought leader on digital pathology and image
Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals Announces Adoption of Commission Decision Granting Marketing Authorisation Approval in the European Union for XERAVA™ (eravacycline) for the Treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections20.9.2018 19:08 | Pressemelding
– Broad Product Label for Treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections – – Phased Commercial Launch Expected in the First Half of 2019 – WATERTOWN, Mass., Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTPH), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing novel antibiotics to treat life-threatening multidrug-resistant (MDR) infections, today announced that the European Commission (EC) has adopted the Decision granting marketing authorisation for XERAVA (eravacycline) for injection for the treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections (cIAI) in adults in the European Union. In clinical trials, XERAVA was well-tolerated and achieved high clinical cure rates in patients with cIAI, demonstrating statistical non-inferiority to two widely used comparators – ertapenem and meropenem. “The European approval of XERAVA, right after our recently announced FDA approval, marks our second significant regulatory approval within one month
UPDATE— Taconic Biosciences Becomes the First Animal Model Provider on General Services Administration Contract Schedule20.9.2018 18:07 | Pressemelding
RENSSELAER, N.Y., Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Taconic Biosciences, a global leader in providing genetically engineered rodent model solutions, announces a new relationship with Government Scientific Source (GSS). GSS is a leading dedicated distributor of laboratory equipment to federal, state, and local governments on contract with the GSA (General Services Administration). By having Taconic’s products available via GSS, they can now be accessed by all federal agencies, including but not limited to the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense. Taconic is the only animal model provider affiliated with GSS and the only animal model provider available on GSA Contract. “An important component of providing customers with the best animal model solutions is access to key resources. Through this exciting new relationship with GSS, Taconic can now easily connect with scientists doing some of the most valuable research in the world and provide them with high quality sol
Digital Transformation is Not a One-Off — It’s About the Digital Journey20.9.2018 17:44 | Pressemelding
SoftServe study confirms four digital journey states with 71 percent of enterprises reporting early stages of adoption AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SoftServe, a leading digital authority and consulting company, today released the results of its market research study that examines how enterprises are responding to the digital economy. The research found that 71 percent of the respondents in the United States and the European Union are in the early stages—Reveal and Transform—of four unique states across the Enterprise Digital Journey. For an in-depth analysis and the full results, read The Enterprise Digital Journey white paper. With fierce competition in today’s global landscape, leveraging cutting-edge technology and deploying new business models is not a one-off pursuit, but rather a continuous process of iteration and refinement. Companies should stop referring to Digital Transformation and instead plan for a continuous Digital Journey. “The term Digital Transfo
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom