Limelight Networks “State of Online Video” Reports a 34 Percent Increase in Global Online Video Viewing
Millennial consumers worldwide lead the growing online video consumption, according to the “State of Online Video” research report from Limelight Networks, (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery. Taking a close look at consumers’ changing viewing habits, the annual report shows the average global viewer watches five hours and 45 minutes each week and subscribes to one or more video on-demand services.
The increasing shift to online viewing is a global trend, with viewers in India, Singapore, and the U.S. spending the most time watching online videos, averaging seven hours, seven minutes, six hours, 37 minutes, and six hours, 35 minutes per week respectively. Viewers in Europe spend the least time watching online video, with those in the U.K. averaging five hours, 11 minutes per week. Similarly, those in France watch an average of five hours, four minutes of online video every week. Germany has the lowest rate of online video viewership at four hours, 14 minutes, with almost half of the respondents watching only one to two hours per week.
“With the proliferation of online video content, viewers are moving away from traditional broadcast television viewing and are demanding broadcast-quality online experiences,” said Michael Milligan, Senior Director at Limelight Networks. “Our research over time has shown a clear increase in expectations and decreasing patience with poor quality experiences.”
Additional insight from the report includes:
- Millennials Watch the Most Online Video. Globally, younger people watch the most online video, a trend that is reflected in Europe. In both Germany and the U.K., viewers aged 18-25 tend to watch between 4 to 7 hours of online video every week. In contrast, all other age groups in these countries are most likely to watch between 1 to 2 hours. In France, nearly 1 in 4 millennials watch more than 10 hours per week, significantly more than other age groups in France who are all most likely to watch between 1-2 hours.
- The Growth of eSports. Although traditional sports programming was the third most watched type of online video content by men, males 18-25 watch more eSports and online video gaming than traditional sports programming.
- Consumers Won’t Waste Time on a Poor Experience. Rebuffering (when a video pauses during playback to load more content) is the top global frustration when viewing videos online – surpassing poor video quality and limited device access. This is reflected in the U.K. and Germany, where rebuffering was cited as the top frustration by 47% and 38% of respondents, respectively. Interestingly, in France, rebuffering takes second place as the top frustration, with far more respondents choosing poor video quality (46% compared to 31%).
- Smartphones Gain in Popularity for Viewing. Although computers and laptops are the primary online video viewing device globally, they are closely followed by smartphones. These are also fast-becoming the preferred device for millennials – for example, in the U.K., 26% say that more than half of the time, they access video content using their smartphones.
- Cable Subscribers Keep the Cord and Go Further Over-the-Top. Despite cord-cutting concerns, the report uncovered that people subscribing to cable have twice as many over-the-top subscription services than those without cable.
- U.S. and India Lead Subscriptions to Online Streaming Services. Consumers globally are signing on to streaming with 30 percent of viewers noting they subscribe to two or more services. Subscription rates are highest in the U.S. at 1.67 services and lowest in France, with a subscription rate of 0.71 services. Only 16.7 percent of respondents in France subscribed to two or more services. Viewers in the U.K. and Germany subscribe to an average of 0.93 and 0.83 services, respectively.
- Movies and TV Shows Lead Online Viewing. Globally, viewers spend more time online watching movies than any other type of content. However, viewers in the U.K. watch TV shows most often. When viewed by gender, men prefer movies, while women prefer TV shows.
The “State of Online Video” report is based on a survey of 4,000 consumers ranging in age, gender, and education in France, Germany, India, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the U.K., and the U.S. The complete “State of Online Video” report is available here.
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s Limelight Orchestrate Platform includes a global infrastructure with a fully-integrated suite of capabilities and services to help you address all your content delivery needs. The Orchestrate Platform solves your most important content delivery challenges so you can deliver the next great digital experience anywhere. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com, read our blog, follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect.
Om Business Wire
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Bacardi to Acquire Patrón Tequila22.1.2018 20:28 | Pressemelding
Family-owned Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, announced today that it is expanding its portfolio of premium spirits with a definitive agreement to acquire 100% ownership of Patrón Spirits International AG and its PATRÓN® brand, the world’s top-selling ultra-premium tequila. The transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions, follows the successful relationship the companies have had for nearly a decade since Bacardi’s initial acquisition of a significant minority stake in Patrón in 2008. The transaction reflects an enterprise value for Patrón of US$5.1 billion and is expected to close in the first half of 2018. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180122006459/en/ Bacardi agrees to acquire 100% ownership of Patrón Spirits International and its PATRÓN® brand, the world’s top-selling ultra-premium tequila. (Photo: Business Wire) According to the most recent IWSR
PMI’s Salary Survey Reveals that Project Management Practitioners with the PMP Certification Earn 23% More22.1.2018 16:58 | Pressemelding
Project Management Institute’s (PMI) Earning Power Report reveals a significant advantage in earning potential for PMP® certified practitioners. Survey respondents holding the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification report higher median salaries than those without a PMP certification―23% higher on average across the 37 countries surveyed. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180122006262/en/ (Graphic: Business Wire) The Earning Power: Project Management Salary Survey is a comprehensive biennial salary survey that offers insight into the value of project management skills, experience and certifications. It is an industry-leading source of data, giving project management practitioners a greater awareness of their earning potential and helping employers, compensation committees, human resource departments and executive recruiters to better determine salary ranges. The 10th edition of the survey incorporate
ABB and City of Davos Pave the Way to Sustainable Mobility Through E-Vehicle Innovation22.1.2018 15:41 | Pressemelding
For this year’s annual World Economic Forum (January 23–26, 2018), the city of Davos and ABB have teamed up in a long-term partnership to provide e-infrastructure for public and private transportation. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180122006126/en/ ABB flash-charging station in Davos (Photo: Business Wire) Davos residents and WEF guests can experience the pioneering TOSA bus for themselves. The award-winning TOSA bus, developed by ABB in Switzerland, is already in use in Geneva and will soon be implemented in the French city of Nantes. It can recharge its battery in just 20 seconds as passengers board and disembark. In Davos, it will operate on the busy Line 1, running from the tourist center to the hospital. This is the first time TOSA technology is being used in an Alpine region. The idea is to run the system under extreme winter weather conditions; ABB and its project partners expect to gain valuable insig
Calvin Klein, Inc. Announces the Spring/Summer 2018 Calvin Klein Underwear and Calvin Klein Jeans Global Advertising Campaign22.1.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
Calvin Klein, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of PVH Corp. [NYSE:PVH], today announced its new CALVIN KLEIN UNDERWEAR and CALVIN KLEIN JEANS global multi-media advertising campaign. The campaign represents the latest iteration of the evolution in the CALVIN KLEIN brand’s globally recognized #MYCALVINS call to action: Our Family. #MYCALVINS. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180122005732/en/ CALVIN KLEIN, INC. ANNOUNCES THE SPRING/SUMMER 2018 Campaign Led by Kim Kardashian West, Khloé Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Kendall Jenner and Kylie Jenner Shot by photographer Willy Vanderperre, the latest chapter of this new campaign features sisters Kim Kardashian West, Khloé Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Kendall Jenner and Kylie Jenner. The siblings are featured wearing styles of CALVIN KLEIN UNDERWEAR that are available in stores and online now, including CALVIN KLEIN Modern Cotton and the new CALVIN KLEIN Body ran
Ferring enters into worldwide OmniAb® platform license agreement with Ligand22.1.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
Ferring Pharmaceuticals announced today that it has entered into a worldwide license agreement with Ligand Pharmaceuticals to use Ligand’s OmniAb platform® to discover new human monoclonal antibodies for a range of indications. Under the agreement, Ferring will use OmniAb to accelerate development solutions for unmet patient needs in reproductive medicine and women’s health, urology and gastroenterology. “Antibody-based therapies improve the quality of life and care for patients with a wide range of conditions but have not been fully investigated, in particular in the area of reproductive medicine and women’s health,” said Armin Metzger, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Ferring Pharmaceuticals. “This agreement expands Ferring’s growing capabilities in biologics and broadens our historical focus on peptides, opening up significant opportunities for discoveries that will help patients to live better lives.” Ligand's OmniAb® platforms produce
European Commission Approves ADCETRIS® (brentuximab vedotin) for CD30-Positive Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma after One Prior Systemic Therapy– Providing an Innovative Treatment Option to Patients22.1.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE: 4502) today announced that the European Commission (EC) extended the current conditional marketing authorization of ADCETRIS® (brentuximab vedotin) and approved ADCETRIS for the treatment of adult patients with CD30-positive cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL) after at least one prior systemic therapy. ADCETRIS is an antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) directed at CD30, which is expressed on skin lesions in approximately 50 percent of patients with CTCL. The decision follows a positive opinion from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) on November 9, 2017. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180122005037/en/ “CTCL is a subtype of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that primarily involves the skin; it typically presents with red, scaly patches or thickened plaques of skin that often mimics eczema or psoriasis and can have a substantial impact on patients’ self-esteem. There a
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom