Limelight Networks “State of Online Video” Reports a 34 Percent Increase in Global Online Video Viewing
Millennial consumers worldwide lead the growing online video consumption, according to the “State of Online Video” research report from Limelight Networks, (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery. Taking a close look at consumers’ changing viewing habits, the annual report shows the average global viewer watches five hours and 45 minutes each week and subscribes to one or more video on-demand services.
The increasing shift to online viewing is a global trend, with viewers in India, Singapore, and the U.S. spending the most time watching online videos, averaging seven hours, seven minutes, six hours, 37 minutes, and six hours, 35 minutes per week respectively. Viewers in Europe spend the least time watching online video, with those in the U.K. averaging five hours, 11 minutes per week. Similarly, those in France watch an average of five hours, four minutes of online video every week. Germany has the lowest rate of online video viewership at four hours, 14 minutes, with almost half of the respondents watching only one to two hours per week.
“With the proliferation of online video content, viewers are moving away from traditional broadcast television viewing and are demanding broadcast-quality online experiences,” said Michael Milligan, Senior Director at Limelight Networks. “Our research over time has shown a clear increase in expectations and decreasing patience with poor quality experiences.”
Additional insight from the report includes:
- Millennials Watch the Most Online Video. Globally, younger people watch the most online video, a trend that is reflected in Europe. In both Germany and the U.K., viewers aged 18-25 tend to watch between 4 to 7 hours of online video every week. In contrast, all other age groups in these countries are most likely to watch between 1 to 2 hours. In France, nearly 1 in 4 millennials watch more than 10 hours per week, significantly more than other age groups in France who are all most likely to watch between 1-2 hours.
- The Growth of eSports. Although traditional sports programming was the third most watched type of online video content by men, males 18-25 watch more eSports and online video gaming than traditional sports programming.
- Consumers Won’t Waste Time on a Poor Experience. Rebuffering (when a video pauses during playback to load more content) is the top global frustration when viewing videos online – surpassing poor video quality and limited device access. This is reflected in the U.K. and Germany, where rebuffering was cited as the top frustration by 47% and 38% of respondents, respectively. Interestingly, in France, rebuffering takes second place as the top frustration, with far more respondents choosing poor video quality (46% compared to 31%).
- Smartphones Gain in Popularity for Viewing. Although computers and laptops are the primary online video viewing device globally, they are closely followed by smartphones. These are also fast-becoming the preferred device for millennials – for example, in the U.K., 26% say that more than half of the time, they access video content using their smartphones.
- Cable Subscribers Keep the Cord and Go Further Over-the-Top. Despite cord-cutting concerns, the report uncovered that people subscribing to cable have twice as many over-the-top subscription services than those without cable.
- U.S. and India Lead Subscriptions to Online Streaming Services. Consumers globally are signing on to streaming with 30 percent of viewers noting they subscribe to two or more services. Subscription rates are highest in the U.S. at 1.67 services and lowest in France, with a subscription rate of 0.71 services. Only 16.7 percent of respondents in France subscribed to two or more services. Viewers in the U.K. and Germany subscribe to an average of 0.93 and 0.83 services, respectively.
- Movies and TV Shows Lead Online Viewing. Globally, viewers spend more time online watching movies than any other type of content. However, viewers in the U.K. watch TV shows most often. When viewed by gender, men prefer movies, while women prefer TV shows.
The “State of Online Video” report is based on a survey of 4,000 consumers ranging in age, gender, and education in France, Germany, India, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the U.K., and the U.S. The complete “State of Online Video” report is available here.
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s Limelight Orchestrate Platform includes a global infrastructure with a fully-integrated suite of capabilities and services to help you address all your content delivery needs. The Orchestrate Platform solves your most important content delivery challenges so you can deliver the next great digital experience anywhere. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com, read our blog, follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect.
Om Business Wire
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
IBC2017 Reports Record Visitor Numbers in Its 50th Year22.9.2017 09:32 | Pressemelding
In its 50th anniversary, IBC2017 has confirmed a year-on-year increase in visitor numbers, marking a record attendance of 57,669 across the six day event. Visitors from across the expanding media ecosystem had the opportunity to learn about the opportunities offered by technologies - including social media TV, OTT, VR, AR, Cloud, IP, Bots and 5G - and to meet the most intelligent robots. Visitors to the 15 exhibition halls witnessed many exciting new launches; Launch Pad grew year-on-year with a record number of exhibitors; the Future Reality Theatre and Content Everywhere Hub free programmes were packed with diverse and new exciting content, embracing the transformation. Conference delegates packed the Forum to hear from leading experts from Facebook, Google, CNN, HTC Viveport, Dolby, C4 and ITV to discuss and debate the hot topics challenging the industry with a focus on m
The Listing of Money Trade Coin on Cryptocurrency Exchange and the Rising Promise of a New Era in Dubai21.9.2017 17:45 | Pressemelding
MONEY TRADE COIN, the new age cryptocurrency, dazzled its investors’ expectations by listing on NovaExchange. Immediate trading began post the launch by Money Trade Coin’s founder and CEO, Mr. Amit Lakhanpal and H.E. Sheikh Saqer Al Nahyan. The listing event held on September 17 at Burj Al Arab was witnessed by a list of 40 VIP businessmen including H.E. Sheikh Jumaa Al Maktoum, Mr. Faisal Almaazmi, his principal advisor and director of Greenland Capital Properties, Mr. Charles Said Kiwan founder of MVP Tech and Mr. Khaled Abdulla, Head of Communications MENA at Barclays PLC. This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170921006013/en/ Amit Lakhanpal greets H.E. Sheikh Saqer Al Nahyan (Photo: AETOS Wire) Money Trade Coin, the propagator of the “Cryptocurrency correct knowledge” l
Triaconta Announces a New Safe Way to Invest in Cryptocurrencies21.9.2017 16:18 | Pressemelding
Triaconta wants to minimize the risks of investing in cryptocurrencies with Combicoin to make the cryptocurrency market accessible for a larger audience. CombiCoin is 100% asset backed by the top 30 cryptocurrencies with the highest market cap. Because of this the CombiCoin will not suddenly plunge and investors will have less risks when there are major fluctuations. There are over 1000 cryptocurrencies on the market and together they represent a value of 130 billion USD. However, all these coins are very volatile. For example, the value of bitcoin grew from 1000 to 4000 USD within six months. The value of Ethereum, the second largest cryptocurrency, rose from 150 to 400 USD within 6 months but plunged to 150 USD 4 weeks later. In the first six months of 2017 the top 30 of cryptocurrencies grew with 1200 percent. The value of CombiCoin is determined for 3.3
TIP Trailer Services Announces the Successful Refinancing of its ABS program21.9.2017 15:16 | Pressemelding
On 21 September 2017, TIP Trailer Services announced that it had successfully refinanced its Asset Backed Securitisation (ABS) program. The Pan-European program was originally established in 2014 and is a securitisation structure common under Dutch law for operating leases. The new program will run until March 2019. This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170921005815/en/ At the official signing of the TIP ABS refinancing were: From left to right: Jorrit Achterberg (Legal Counsel, TIP Trailer Services), Patrick Vergouwen (International Investor Relations Manager, TIP Trailer Services), Bart de Boo (Director, Asset Based Finance, Rabobank), Gert Huizing (Quality Assurance Manager Capital Market Services, Intertrust), Leo van der Sman (Legal Counsel, Intertrust) (Photo: Business Wire) “The extra funding and improved co
Tohatsu, Major Outboard Manufacturer, to Launch Global Brand Campaign Targeting Millennial Generation Boat Users21.9.2017 14:30 | Pressemelding
On September 21, 2017, Tohatsu Corporation (headquartered in Tokyo, Japan; hereinafter "TOHATSU") announced the outline of its global brand campaign at the 57th Genoa International Boat Show held in Genova, Italy. TOHATSU’s global brand campaign based on a new branding strategy will be deployed at boat shows around the world, starting from the Genoa International Boat Show in September 2017. This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170921005018/en/ Feel the Wind (Photo: Business Wire) The campaign sets “SMARTS” millennials as its core target, revealing TOHATSU’s new brand logo, “Blue Wings” and its unique “Simpliq™ Technology” The feature of the new branding strategy is its target demographic called “SMARTS”, millennial boat owners (born between 1977 and 199
Sigma Systems Chief Technology Officer to Address CSPs at Futurecom 201721.9.2017 14:00 | Pressemelding
Sigma Systems, the global leader in catalog-driven software, has today announced that its Chief Technology Officer, Catherine Michel, will be speaking at Futurecom 2017 – the largest ICT event in Latin America. Catherine will address communications service providers (CSPs) and industry professionals at the Sao Paulo event on what’s driving the digitalization mandate for operators. Ahead of her presentation, Catherine commented: “The digitalization of the CSP is about transforming business operations, based on a thorough understanding of customer needs, behaviours and experiences. This requires a shift in corporate culture, and many CSPs are not making the changes necessary to embrace digital innovation and become market leading digital service providers. To deliver on a digital transformation, operators must embrace digital innovation and enable the rapid launch a
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom