Limelight Networks “State of Online Video” Reports a 34 Percent Increase in Global Online Video Viewing
Millennial consumers worldwide lead the growing online video consumption, according to the “State of Online Video” research report from Limelight Networks, (Nasdaq:LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery. Taking a close look at consumers’ changing viewing habits, the annual report shows the average global viewer watches five hours and 45 minutes each week and subscribes to one or more video on-demand services.
The increasing shift to online viewing is a global trend, with viewers in India, Singapore, and the U.S. spending the most time watching online videos, averaging seven hours, seven minutes, six hours, 37 minutes, and six hours, 35 minutes per week respectively. Viewers in Europe spend the least time watching online video, with those in the U.K. averaging five hours, 11 minutes per week. Similarly, those in France watch an average of five hours, four minutes of online video every week. Germany has the lowest rate of online video viewership at four hours, 14 minutes, with almost half of the respondents watching only one to two hours per week.
“With the proliferation of online video content, viewers are moving away from traditional broadcast television viewing and are demanding broadcast-quality online experiences,” said Michael Milligan, Senior Director at Limelight Networks. “Our research over time has shown a clear increase in expectations and decreasing patience with poor quality experiences.”
Additional insight from the report includes:
- Millennials Watch the Most Online Video. Globally, younger people watch the most online video, a trend that is reflected in Europe. In both Germany and the U.K., viewers aged 18-25 tend to watch between 4 to 7 hours of online video every week. In contrast, all other age groups in these countries are most likely to watch between 1 to 2 hours. In France, nearly 1 in 4 millennials watch more than 10 hours per week, significantly more than other age groups in France who are all most likely to watch between 1-2 hours.
- The Growth of eSports. Although traditional sports programming was the third most watched type of online video content by men, males 18-25 watch more eSports and online video gaming than traditional sports programming.
- Consumers Won’t Waste Time on a Poor Experience. Rebuffering (when a video pauses during playback to load more content) is the top global frustration when viewing videos online – surpassing poor video quality and limited device access. This is reflected in the U.K. and Germany, where rebuffering was cited as the top frustration by 47% and 38% of respondents, respectively. Interestingly, in France, rebuffering takes second place as the top frustration, with far more respondents choosing poor video quality (46% compared to 31%).
- Smartphones Gain in Popularity for Viewing. Although computers and laptops are the primary online video viewing device globally, they are closely followed by smartphones. These are also fast-becoming the preferred device for millennials – for example, in the U.K., 26% say that more than half of the time, they access video content using their smartphones.
- Cable Subscribers Keep the Cord and Go Further Over-the-Top. Despite cord-cutting concerns, the report uncovered that people subscribing to cable have twice as many over-the-top subscription services than those without cable.
- U.S. and India Lead Subscriptions to Online Streaming Services. Consumers globally are signing on to streaming with 30 percent of viewers noting they subscribe to two or more services. Subscription rates are highest in the U.S. at 1.67 services and lowest in France, with a subscription rate of 0.71 services. Only 16.7 percent of respondents in France subscribed to two or more services. Viewers in the U.K. and Germany subscribe to an average of 0.93 and 0.83 services, respectively.
- Movies and TV Shows Lead Online Viewing. Globally, viewers spend more time online watching movies than any other type of content. However, viewers in the U.K. watch TV shows most often. When viewed by gender, men prefer movies, while women prefer TV shows.
The “State of Online Video” report is based on a survey of 4,000 consumers ranging in age, gender, and education in France, Germany, India, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, the U.K., and the U.S. The complete “State of Online Video” report is available here.
Limelight Networks Inc., (NASDAQ: LLNW), a global leader in digital content delivery, empowers customers to better engage online audiences by enabling them to securely manage and globally deliver digital content, on any device. The company’s Limelight Orchestrate Platform includes a global infrastructure with a fully-integrated suite of capabilities and services to help you address all your content delivery needs. The Orchestrate Platform solves your most important content delivery challenges so you can deliver the next great digital experience anywhere. For more information, please visit www.limelight.com, read our blog, follow us on Twitter , Facebook and LinkedIn and be sure to visit Limelight Connect.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
LTI USD Revenue Growth up 23.4% YoY; Net Profit Jumps 35.2% YoY23.7.2018 14:53 | Pressemelding
Larsen & Toubro Infotech (BSE: 540005, NSE: LTI), a global technology consulting and digital solutions company, announced its Q1 FY19 results today. In US Dollars: Revenue at USD 319.9 million; growth of 3.5% QoQ and 23.4% YoY Constant Currency Revenue growth of 5.1% QoQ and 22.9% YoY In Indian Rupees: Revenue at Rs 21,557 million; growth of 7.7% QoQ and 29.0% YoY Net Income at Rs 3,612 million; growth of 24.8% QoQ and 35.2% YoY “We are pleased to report a strong start to the year with 5.1% QoQ revenue growth in constant currency. Our growth has been driven by continued healthy momentum across multiple sectors, with double-digit sequential growth in BFS and High-Tech & Media in Q1. We are also happy to announce a large deal with a Global Fortune 100 consumer and pharmaceutical giant with a net-new TCV win in excess of US$ 50 Mn. “Our focus on leveraging digital technologies to solve the challenges of physical and digital convergence is resonating with our clients and has laid the found
TRIGO Deepens its Expansion into the USA by Acquiring Lumbee Enterprises23.7.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
TRIGO has acquired 100% of the capital of Lumbee Enterprises based in Greer, SC. This acquisition allows TRIGO to deepen its expansion into the USA within the automotive industry. Lumbee began providing supply chain and logistics services over 25 years ago and it’s TRIGO’s intent to leverage Lumbee’s proven expertise to further expand its business. Lumbee is best known for its expertise in Quality Manufacturing, Sorting, Inspection and Sub-Assembly Operations, specializing in providing best-in-class inspection and rework services to keep OEM assembly lines running seamlessly and without interruption. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180723005040/en/ Co-founded by Colby Griffin in 2001, LUMBEE Enterprises of South Carolina has focused on providing quality management services to shorten supply chain interruptions through the innovative use of technology and processes. “This acquisition is a great opportunity for
STATS Taps Dr. Helen Sun, Former CTO of JPMorgan Chase Commercial Banking Division, to Lead STATS’ Technology Operations23.7.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Today, STATS, the worldwide leader in sports data and intelligence, expanded its executive roster with the introduction of Dr. Helen Sun as Chief Technology Officer. Sun will oversee STATS’ product, engineering, artificial intelligence and data production teams in developing the next generation of products and services that will revolutionize the performance and experience of sports. Sun joins STATS from JPMorgan Chase, most recently serving as Chief Technology Officer of the Commercial Banking division. For over 22 years, Sun has a proven record as a technology strategist and thought leader in previous roles as Vice President of Cloud Computing, Information Management, and Architecture at Motorola Solutions; Senior Director of Global Enterprise Architecture at Salesforce; and Director of Enterprise Architecture at Oracle. “Helen is a leader in transforming businesses through innovative solutions and she will be a driving force in building upon our reputation as the leading sports tech
IBC2018 Enhances Conference Programme with Keynote Sessions from Amazon, Viacom and Wonderhood Studios23.7.2018 10:57 | Pressemelding
IBC2018, the world’s most influential media, entertainment and technology show, today announces three new Keynote speakers from globally renowned media and entertainment powerhouses. The addition of executives from Amazon, Viacom and Wonderhood Studios adds to the big-name line up of thought provoking and informative sessions and speakers already announced by IBC. Taking to the stage on the first day of the conference, Thursday 13 September, to deliver the Trailblazer Keynote session entitled ‘Give Your Vision a Voice’ is Max Amordeluso, EU Lead Evangelist Amazon Alexa, Amazon. As voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa are transforming the way audiences discover content and control devices, Amordeluso’s must-attend presentation will explore a variety of avenues, including: how to build a voice strategy with Alexa; why voice experiences are now a crucial part of any multi-platform content business; how to implement an engaging voice strategy for content products and generate new revenues
SIGOS: Digital Experience - 120 mobile network operators from 60 countries meet in Nuremberg23.7.2018 10:06 | Pressemelding
For more than 10 years, SIGOS has been inviting mobile network operators from all over the world to the annual telecommunications conference. After venues such as Düsseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, etc., this year's multi-day conference took place at the Nuremberg convention centre. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180723005282/en/ SIGOS conference panel discussion - photo: www.uwe-niklas.com Over 120 network operators and telecommunications companies from over 60 countries worldwide came together to talk about the latest innovations in areas such as network quality, performance, 5G, IoT, roaming, and telecommunications fraud detection solutions. Dr. Ulrich Maly, Lord Mayor of the City of Nuremberg, welcomed the international audience in his opening speech and explained:"...when we talk about mobile communication, then we talk about people and their needs that are and should be the focus of atte
AURAK Enters into a Memorandum of Understanding with Al-Farabi Kazakh National University22.7.2018 09:52 | Pressemelding
The American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) President, Professor Hassan Hamdan Al Alkim, and the Al-Farabi Kazakh National University (KazNU) Rector, Professor Galimkair Mutanov, of the Republic of Kazakhstan, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), agreeing to exchange students, faculty, and research. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180722005025/en/ The Al-Farabi Kazakh National University (KazNU) Rector, Professor Galimkair Mutanov, of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) President, Professor Hassan Hamdan Al Alkim, exchange a gift to commemorate their universities uniting in an MoU agreement. (Photo: AETOSWire) In the spirit of fostering a close international relationship between the Republic of Kazakhstan and the United Arab Emirates, developing bilateral relations in educational and scientific fields, and wishing to make their own contributions to the