Janssen Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Darzalex®▼ (daratumumab) as Frontline Treatment for Newly Diagnosed Patients with Multiple Myeloma who are Transplant Ineligible
The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson today announced that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has recommended broadening the existing marketing authorisation for Darzalex® (daratumumab) for use as frontline (initial) therapy.1 The recommendation is for the use of daratumumab in combination with bortezomib, melphalan and prednisone, for the treatment of adult patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma who are ineligible for autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT).1
“Multiple myeloma becomes harder to treat each time it returns, so the goal of initial therapy is to prevent the cancer from progressing for as long as possible,” said Dr Maria-Victoria Mateos, Ph.D., lead ALCYONE study investigator and Director of the Myeloma Unit at University Hospital of Salamanca-IBSAL Salamanca, Spain. “Selecting the right treatment regimen for newly diagnosed patients is critical to their long-term survival, especially those who are transplant ineligible, so daratumumab could offer an important new standard of care in this indication.”
The CHMP’s recommendation is based on results from the randomised, open-label, multicentre Phase 3 ALCYONE (MMY3007) study, recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine.2 Additional information about this study can be found at www.ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT02195479).3
“Clinical findings have consistently demonstrated the compelling benefit daratumumab offers across all lines of therapy in multiple myeloma, and this positive recommendation brings us one step closer to providing this ground-breaking option to more patients in Europe,” said Dr Catherine Taylor, Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Haematology Therapeutic Area Lead, Janssen. “Through our research and development efforts, we remain committed to identifying and treating patients earlier and earlier in their cancer journey, when they are healthier and have the best chance at lasting remission.”
In Europe, daratumumab is currently indicated for use in combination with lenalidomide and dexamethasone, or bortezomib and dexamethasone, for the treatment of adult patients with multiple myeloma who have received at least one prior therapy;4 and as monotherapy for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed and refractory multiple myeloma, whose prior therapy included a proteasome inhibitor (PI) and an immunomodulatory agent, and who have demonstrated disease progression on the last therapy.4
A final decision regarding the approval of daratumumab for newly diagnosed patients is expected from the European Commission in the coming months.
In the U.S.A., daratumumab in the frontline setting was granted Priority Review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in January this year,5 and was recently approved for use in this indication.6
Daratumumab is a first-in-class biologic targeting CD38, a surface protein that is highly expressed across multiple myeloma cells, regardless of disease stage.7-9 Daratumumab is believed to induce tumour cell death through multiple immune-mediated mechanisms of action, including complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC), antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity (ADCC) and antibody-dependent cellular phagocytosis (ADCP), as well as through apoptosis, in which a series of molecular steps in a cell lead to its death.4 A subset of myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSCs), CD38+ regulatory T cells (Tregs) and CD38+ B cells (Bregs) were decreased by daratumumab.4 Daratumumab is being evaluated in a comprehensive clinical development programme that includes nine Phase 3 studies across a range of treatment settings in multiple myeloma, such as in frontline and relapsed settings.3,10-17 Additional studies are ongoing or planned to assess its potential for a solid tumour indication and in other malignant and pre-malignant diseases in which CD38 is expressed, such as smouldering myeloma.18-23 For more information, please see www.clinicaltrials.gov.
For further information on daratumumab, please see the Summary of Product Characteristics at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/004077/WC500207296.pdf.
In August 2012, Janssen Biotech, Inc. and Genmab A/S entered a worldwide agreement, which granted Janssen an exclusive licence to develop, manufacture and commercialise daratumumab.24
About Multiple Myeloma
Multiple myeloma (MM) is an incurable blood cancer that starts in the bone marrow and is characterised by an excessive proliferation of plasma cells.25 MM is the second most common form of blood cancer, with around 40,570 new cases in Europe in 2015.26 MM most commonly affects people over the age of 65 and is more common in men than in women.27 The most recent five-year survival data for 2000-2007 show that across Europe, up to half of newly diagnosed patients do not reach five-year survival.28 Almost 29% of patients with MM will die within one year of diagnosis.29
Although treatment may result in remission, unfortunately, patients will most likely relapse as there is currently no cure.30 While some patients with MM have no symptoms at all, most patients are diagnosed due to symptoms that can include bone problems, low blood counts, calcium elevation, kidney problems or infections.31 Patients who relapse after treatment with standard therapies, including PIs and immunomodulatory agents, have poor prognoses and few treatment options available.32
About the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com/emea. Follow us at www.twitter.com/janssenEMEA for our latest news.
Cilag GmbH International; Janssen Biotech, Inc.; Janssen Oncology, Inc. and Janssen-Cilag International NV are part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson.
Cautions Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding a recommendation to broaden the existing marketing authorisation for daratumumab. The reader is cautioned not to rely on these forward-looking statements. These statements are based on current expectations of future events. If underlying assumptions prove inaccurate or known or unknown risks or uncertainties materialise, actual results could vary materially from the expectations and projections of Janssen-Cilag International NV, the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson and/or Johnson & Johnson. Risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: challenges and uncertainties inherent in product research and development, including the uncertainty of clinical success and of obtaining regulatory approvals; uncertainty of commercial success; manufacturing difficulties and delays; competition, including technological advances, new products and patents attained by competitors; challenges to patents; product efficacy or safety concerns resulting in product recalls or regulatory action; changes in behaviour and spending patterns of purchasers of health care products and services; changes to applicable laws and regulations, including global health care reforms; and trends toward health care cost containment. A further list and descriptions of these risks, uncertainties and other factors can be found in Johnson & Johnson's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2017, including in the sections captioned “Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements” and “Item 1A. Risk Factors,” and in the company’s subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Copies of these filings are available online at www.sec.gov , www.jnj.com or on request from Johnson & Johnson. None of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies nor Johnson & Johnson undertakes to update any forward-looking statement as a result of new information or future events or developments.
1. EMA. Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 23-26 July 2018. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2018/07/news_detail_002994.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1 Last accessed July 2018.
2. Mateos MV, Dimopoulos MA, Cavo M, et al. Daratumumab plus bortezomib, melphalan and prednisone for untreated myeloma. N Engl J Med. 2018;378:518-528.
3. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study of combination of daratumumab and Velcade (bortezomib) melphalan-prednisone (DVMP) compared to velcade melphalan-prednisone (VMP) in participants with previously untreated multiple myeloma. NCT02195479. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02195479 Last accessed June 2018.
4. European Medicines Agency. DARZALEX summary of product characteristics, June 2018. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/004077/WC500207296.pdf Last accessed June 2018.
5. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Priority review. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/forpatients/approvals/fast/ucm405405.htm Last accessed June 2018.
6. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. DARZALEX Prescribing Information, May 2018. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/761036s013lbl.pdf Last accessed June 2018.
7. Fedele G, di Girolamo M, Recine U, et al. CD38 ligation in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of myeloma patients induces release of protumorigenic IL-6 and impaired secretion of IFNgamma cytokines and proliferation. Mediat Inflamm. 2013;2013:564687.
8. Lin P, Owens R, Tricot G, et al. Flow cytometric immunophenotypic analysis of 306 cases of multiple myeloma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2004;121:482-8.
9. Santoconito AM, Consoli U, Bagnato S, et al. Flow cytometric detection of aneuploid CD38++ plasmacells and CD19+ B-lymphocytes in bone marrow, peripheral blood and PBSC harvest in multiple myeloma patients. Leuk Res. 2004;28:469-77.
10. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study comparing daratumumab, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone with lenalidomide and dexamethasone in relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. NCT02076009. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02076009 Last accessed June 2018.
11. ClinicalTrials.gov. Addition of daratumumab to combination of bortezomib and dexamethasone in participants with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. NCT02136134. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT02136134 Last accessed June 2018.
12. ClinicalTrials.gov. A Study to evaluate daratumumab in transplant eligible participants with previously untreated multiple myeloma (Cassiopeia). NCT02541383. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02541383 Last accessed June 2018.
13. ClinicalTrials.gov. Study comparing daratumumab, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone with lenalidomide and dexamethasone in participants with previously untreated multiple myeloma. NCT02252172. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02252172 Last accessed June 2018.
14. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study of VELCADE (bortezomib) melphalan-prednisone (VMP) compared to daratumumab in combination with VMP (D-VMP), in participants with previously untreated multiple myeloma who are ineligible for high-dose therapy (Asia Pacific Region) NCT03217812. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03217812 Last accessed June 2018.
15. ClinicalTrials.gov. Compare progression free survival btw daratumumab/pomalidomide/dexamethasone vs pomalidomide/dexamethasone (EMN14) NCT03180736. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03180736 Last accessed June 2018.
16. ClincalTrials.gov. Study of carfilzomib, daratumumab and dexamethasone for patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma. (CANDOR). NCT03158688. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03158688 Last accessed June 2018.
17. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study of subcutaneous versus (vs.) intravenous administration of daratumumab in participants with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. NCT03277105. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03277105 Last accessed June 2018.
18. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study to evaluate 3 dose schedules of daratumumab in participants with smoldering multiple myeloma. NCT02316106. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02316106 Last accessed June 2018.
19. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study to assess the clinical efficacy and safety of daratumumab in participants with relapsed or refractory natural killer/T-cell lymphoma (NKTCL), nasal type. NCT02927925. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02927925 Last accessed June 2018.
20. ClinicalTrials.gov. Study to separately evaluate the activity of talacotuzumab (JNJ-56022473) or daratumumab in transfusion-dependent participants with low or intermediate-1 risk myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) who are relapsed or refractory to erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA) treatment. NCT03011034. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03011034 Last accessed June 2018.
21. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study of subcutaneous daratumumab versus active monitoring in participants with high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma. NCT03301220. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03301220 Last accessed June 2018.
22. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study to test the safety and effectiveness of nivolumab combined with daratumumab in patients with pancreatic, non-small cell lung or triple negative breast cancers, that have advanced or have spread. NCT03098550. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03098550 Last accessed June 2018.
23. ClinicalTrials.gov. A study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of daratumumab in combination with cyclophosphamide, bortezomib and dexamethasone (CyBorD) compared to CyBorD alone in newly diagnosed systemic amyloid light-chain (AL) amyloidosis. NCT03201965. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03201965 Last accessed June 2018.
24. Johnson & Johnson. Janssen Biotech announces global license and development agreement for investigational anti-cancer agent daratumumab. Press release August 20, 2012. Available at: http://www.investor.jnj.com/releaseDetail.cfm?releaseid=703517 Last accessed June 2018.
25. American Society of Clinical Oncology. Multiple myeloma: introduction. Available at: https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/multiple-myeloma/introduction Last accessed June 2018.
26. GLOBOCAN 2012. Multiple myeloma. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/old/burden.asp?selection_pop=62968&Text-p=Europe&selection_cancer=17270&Text-c=Multiple+myeloma&pYear=3&type=0&window=1&submit=%C2%A0Execute%C2%A0 Last accessed June 2018.
27. American Cancer Society. Multiple myeloma: causes, risk factors and prevention. Available at: https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/CRC/PDF/Public/8739.00.pdf Last accessed June 2018.
28. De Angelis R, Minicozzi P, Sant M, et al. Survival variations by country and age for lymphoid and myeloid malignancies in Europe 2000-2007: results of EUROCARE-5 population-based study. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51:2254-68.
29. Costa LJ, Gonsalves WI, Kumar SK. Early mortality in multiple myeloma. Leukemia. 2015;29:1616-8.
30. Abdi J, Chen G, Chang H, et al. Drug resistance in multiple myeloma: latest findings and new concepts on molecular mechanisms. Oncotarget. 2013;4:2186–207.
31. American Cancer Society. Multiple myeloma: early detection, diagnosis and staging. Available at: https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/CRC/PDF/Public/8740.00.pdf Last accessed June 2018.
32. Kumar SK, Lee JH, Lahuerta JJ, et al. Risk of progression and survival in multiple myeloma relapsing after therapy with IMiDs and bortezomib: a multicenter international myeloma working group study. Leukemia. 2012;26:149-57.
Mobile: +353 (0)85-744-6696
Phone: +1 732-524-3922
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Three Finalists Selected Following GA-ASI’s Blue Magic Belgium Event15.6.2019 11:00:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Three finalists have been selected from GA-ASI’s Blue Magic Belgium event with the goal of supporting GA-ASI and the development of MQ-9B SkyGuardian Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) for Belgium. The three Belgian companies selected are AIRobot, ALX Systems, and Hexagon. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190615005003/en/ "We were very impressed by the many talented companies and particularly by the innovative concepts presented by these three finalists," said Linden Blue, CEO, GA-ASI. (Photo: Business Wire) AIRobot, a company based at DronePort in Sint Truiden, Belgium, focuses on developing drone performance equipment for easy, precise and safe professional operations, while specializing in Artificial Intelligence (AI) for processing hyper-spectral imagery. ALX Systems is an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) solution provider based in Liège, Belgium and specializing in AI for processing Full Motion Video. Hexagon’s
World’s First E-Money License for Blockchains Issued to Monerium15.6.2019 08:35:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Monerium ehf. has received a license from the Financial Supervisory Authority of Iceland to issue e-money on blockchains through its subsidiary, Monerium EMI ehf. The full license is the world’s first e-money license for blockchains issued under EU e-money regulations. The license is passportable within the largest global economic zone, the European Economic Area, and to external jurisdictions subject to regulatory approval and destination country regulations. Designed as a digital alternative to cash, e-money is a proven framework for digital fiat currency already in use for pre-paid cards and mobile wallets. By issuing e-money on blockchains, Monerium removes the need for intermediaries and provides the ability to automate financial transactions in many sectors, including payments, trade finance, securities settlement, and ecommerce. At the same time, e-money on blockchains extends Satoshi Nakamoto’s vision of online peer-to-peer currency transactions to a regulated form of digital f
Mattel® Unveils Hot Wheels™ id, Groundbreaking New Play System Bringing Together Physical and Digital Play, Available Exclusively at Apple.com, Select Apple Stores and on the App Store14.6.2019 13:00:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) today announced the launch of Hot Wheels id, the evolution of the beloved brand that generations of kids have played with to ignite their challenger spirit. Through innovative vehicle play, Hot Wheels id brings together physical and digital in a Mixed Play experience with uniquely identifiable vehicles, a smart Race Portal, Smart Track, and digital hub, so you can build your personalized fleet, measure your performance, and compete like never before. Hot Wheels id is available starting June 14th exclusively at Apple.com, select Apple stores and on the App Store. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190614005084/en/ Hot Wheels Race Portal™ scans your Hot Wheels id vehicles into the app, tracks speed and counts laps via infrared sensors, and easily connects with your classic Hot Wheels track. (Photo: Business Wire) For the first time in history, kids can scan their Hot Wheels id cars digita
S BLOCK Co-host With World Blockchain Forum Singapore & World Blockchain Award Asia14.6.2019 12:45:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Asia's highly anticipated blockchain event World Blockchain Forum · Singapore & World Blockchain Award · Asia will be held on June 22-23, 2019 at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. The conference will bring together more than 4,000 global elites from government, associations, regulatory agencies, investment institutions, blockchain project parties, financial technology, and media to discuss industry trends and innovations, jointly recognizing industry pioneers and contributions to promote the industry and achieve healthy and rapid development! The World Blockchain Forum Singapore & World Blockchain Award Asia will be co-hosted by S BLOCK. As a fast-growing digital asset management platform, S BLOCK was developed for the blockchain industry. This rapidly growing platform aims to serve the digital financial ecosystem and aims to commercialize by the end of 2019. The slogan of S BLOCK is “unleash your digital asset.” The platform also provides investors access to mainstream cryptocurrenci
Janssen Reports Top-Line Phase 3 Results for TREMFYA® (guselkumab) in Adults with Active Psoriatic Arthritis14.6.2019 11:39:00 CEST | Pressemelding
The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson today announced top-line results from the Phase 3 DISCOVER 1 and 2 studies, which evaluated the efficacy and safety of guselkumab compared to placebo in adult patients with active moderate to severe psoriatic arthritis (PsA). Both studies met their primary endpoints of American College of Rheumatology 20% improvement (ACR20), and the safety profiles observed for guselkumab in the DISCOVER programme were consistent with previous studies of guselkumab and current prescribing information.1 The DISCOVER programme comprises the first-ever Phase 3 studies evaluating an IL-23 p19 inhibitor for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis, and data will be presented at upcoming scientific medical meetings. Data from the two DISCOVER studies will serve as the basis of submissions to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Medicines Agency seeking approval of guselkumab as a treatment for psoriatic arthritis, which are anticipated for
Velodyne Features Advanced Lidar for Port Terminal Automation at TOC Europe14.6.2019 10:00:00 CEST | Pressemelding
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Stand A50) will demonstrate how its smart, powerful lidar solutions can advance port terminal automation at TOC Europe in Rotterdam, 18-20 June. Velodyne will highlight customer applications that show how its lidar sensors can be used in crane steering, container handling, internal terminal vehicles (ITV), automated guided vehicles (AGV), forklifts, and terminal security/yard monitoring systems. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190614005040/en/ DGWorld solutions demonstrate how Velodyne’s intelligent lidar sensors are helping port and terminal operators deliver consistent service quality and achieve increased safety. (Photo: Business Wire) DGWorld (Stand B21A), a Dubai-based Velodyne integrator, will showcase autonomous taxis, ITVs, AGVs, and terminal operation vehicles that use Velodyne lidar sensors to run autonomously. These vehicles use advanced artificial intelligence (AI), automation