IFF Reports Strong Third Quarter 2015 Results
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) reported financial results and strategic achievements for the third quarter ended September 30, 2015.
Win Where We Compete: achieve market leadership position in key markets, categories & customers
- North America Fragrance Compounds +7% led by double-digit Hair Care & Home Care growth
- Fragrances currency neutral sales in China +6% driven by strong growth with regional customers
- Home Care grew high-single-digits, on a currency neutral basis, as a result of strong new wins
- Flavors North America +19% including the acquisition of Ottens Flavors
- Flavors Latin America up double-digits, on a currency neutral basis, for the 8th consecutive quarter
Innovating Firsts: strengthen position and drive differentiation in priority R&D platforms
- Encapsulation-related sales improved double-digits in Fabric, Toiletries and Home Care
- Sweetness and Savory Modulation portfolio grew strong double-digits
- Commercialized two captive fragrance ingredients that drive greater differentiation
- Launched second natural taste modulator of 2015 to build consumer-preferred products
- Developed new capsule chemistry to strengthen participation beyond Fabric Care
Become Our Customers’ Partner of Choice: attain commercial excellence
- IFF-LMR Naturals & Haitian Vetiver partner certified “For Life” by the Institute of Marketecology
- Achieved additional core list status with several key customers across both flavors and fragrances
- Won North America innovation award with one of IFF’s largest Flavors customers
- Awarded Supplier Excellence award with one of IFF’s largest Fine Fragrance customers
- Gained industry-leading membership in the Together for Sustainability sustainable sourcing initiative and recognized by CDP as a world leader for corporate action on climate change
Strengthen and Expand the Portfolio: pursue value creation through collaborations & acquisitions
- Lucas Meyer Cosmetics achieved double-digit currency neutral sales growth on a standalone basis
- Ottens Flavors sales improved double-digits with strongest growth coming from regional customers
- Announced partnership with Vapor Communications to pioneer the future of digital scent
“We are pleased to report strong financial results in the third quarter, despite ongoing volatility in many key international markets,” said Chairman and CEO Andreas Fibig. “Thanks in large part to the diversity of our business and our recent acquisitions, we achieved strong revenue growth, gross margin expansion and double-digit increases in adjusted operating profit and adjusted EPS – all on a currency neutral basis.
“Currency neutral sales improved 7%, including three percentage points of growth relating to the acquisition of Ottens Flavors and Lucas Meyer Cosmetics. Overall our top-line performance continues to be driven by strong new wins, particularly in Fragrance Compounds, where the contributions from new wins were at the highest levels in nearly two years. Adjusted operating profit and adjusted EPS on a currency neutral basis grew at a rate faster than sales, both up 10%, as we benefitted from gross margin expansion and fixed cost leverage.
“With a focus on building greater differentiation, accelerating profitable growth and increasing shareholder value, we continued to make strides against our Vision 2020 strategy. In North America – one of the areas we are targeting for leadership positions – the Flavors team has done a nice job integrating our recent acquisition of Ottens Flavors. Leveraging their defined go-to-market strategy – geared toward ensuring we are the partner of choice for key regional accounts – Flavors North America was up 19%. In China, Fragrances grew 6% on a currency neutral basis, despite the volatile economic environment, as we continued to have success with many of the strong regional Consumer Fragrance brands.
“Delivery systems across both flavors and fragrances continued to drive growth. The strong trends in Fabric Care and Beverage continued in the third quarter, led by our encapsulation technology in fragrances and proprietary delivery system in flavors. We were also pleased with the sales of our sweetness and savory modulation portfolios which continued to produce strong results, increasing strong double-digits.
“In addition to the strides we have made from a market share and innovation perspective, we also made progress in our never-ending quest to “become our customers’ partner of choice.” Capitalizing on the trends in naturals, IFF-LMR Naturals received its fourth “For Life” Social Responsibility designation for its Haitian Vetiver operations. We are proud that our commitment to embedding sustainability throughout our business practices and our corporate culture is being acknowledge as evident by our recent CDP Climate “A” List perfect score. We also won an innovation award in North America with one of our largest Flavors customers, which recognizes partners for their thought leadership, and were awarded a supplier excellence award with a large Fine Fragrance customer.
“Strengthening and expanding our portfolio is a focus of ours as we diligently pursue value-creation opportunities in partnerships and collaborations. In the third quarter, we completed the acquisition of Lucas Meyer Cosmetics which helped us expand our product offerings beyond flavors and fragrances into cosmetic active ingredients. We are pleased to report that Lucas Meyer Cosmetics achieved strong double-digit currency neutral sales growth on a standalone basis – a good indication that we are putting our capital to work in areas that accelerate growth. To maintain our legacy of pioneering firsts, we also announced a partnership with Vapor Communications, which we believe will put us on the forefront of digital scent in the years to come.
“Based on our strong year-to-date results and our outlook for more modest sales growth in the fourth quarter – due to challenging comparisons that include an extra week of sales in the prior year – we continue to believe we can deliver 6% full year 2015 currency neutral sales growth, including acquisitions. To correspond with our top-line performance, we continue to believe we can deliver approximately 9% adjusted operating profit growth and 10% adjusted EPS growth, both on a currency neutral basis for full year 2015”.
Fragrances Business Unit
- Currency neutral sales improved 6%, including approximately two percentage points related to the acquisition of Lucas Meyer Cosmetics. Growth was led by high-single-digit growth in Latin America and mid-single-digit improvement in Greater Asia.
- Fine Fragrances increased 1% led by EAME, which improved 5%, as a result of very strong new wins. In Latin America, challenging economic conditions continue to impact Fine Fragrance sales, although the growth rate improved versus the second quarter.
- Consumer Fragrances grew 7% with broad-based growth led by a double-digit increase in Fabric Care and high-single-digit increase in Hair Care. On a geographic basis, all regions delivered growth, led by double-digits in Latin America, all on a currency neutral basis.
- Fragrance Ingredients grew 6% driven by the acquisition of Lucas Meyer Cosmetics. Our organic Fragrance Ingredients sales remained soft as we continued to utilize capacity to further strengthen our internal Fragrance Compounds business.
- Fragrances currency neutral segment profit improved approximately 15% driven by volume growth, benefits from cost and productivity initiatives and lower incentive compensation expense. Segment profit margin on a currency neutral basis increased 180 basis points to 22.4%.
- On a reported basis, sales decreased 2% to $406.0 million in the third quarter compared with $415.1 million in the prior year quarter. Fragrances segment profit increased 5%, or $4.3 million, to $90.9 million.
Flavors Business Unit
- Currency neutral sales grew 8%, including approximately four and a half percentage points related to the acquisition of Ottens Flavors. All categories experienced broad-based growth, with the strongest results in Beverage and Dairy.
- EAME improved 4% led by high-single-digit growth in Beverage. Western Europe reported the highest growth, improving 9%, driven by strong new win performance.
- North America grew 19% reflecting additional sales related to the acquisition of Ottens Flavors and high-double-digit growth in Dairy.
- Latin America increased 20% as all categories reported positive growth. The strong double-digit trend in Beverage continued for the 8th consecutive quarter. Savory and Dairy also grew double-digits as a result of strong new win performance.
- Greater Asia remained constant as growth in Indonesia, India, Singapore and Japan was offset by softness in China, most notably due to a challenging economic environment.
- Flavors currency neutral segment profit improved approximately 9% as sales growth, gross margin expansion and cost and productivity benefits more than offset the inclusion of amortization of intangibles related to the acquisition of Ottens Flavors. Segment profit margin on a currency neutral basis increased 10 basis points to 22.2% in the prior year quarter.
- On a reported basis, sales were flat going to $359.1 million from $358.7 million in the prior year quarter. Flavors segment profit remained constant at $79.8 million from $79.7 million.
A copy of the Company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q will be available on its website at www.iff.com or at sec.gov by November 11, 2015.
A live webcast to discuss the Company’s third quarter 2015 financial results will be held on November 10, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. EST. Investors may access the webcast and accompanying slide presentation on the Company's website at www.iff.com under the Investor Relations section. For those unable to listen to the live broadcast, a recorded version of the webcast will be made available on the Company's website approximately one hour after the event and will remain available on IFF’s website for one year.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) is a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world. At the heart of our company, we are fueled by a sense of discovery, constantly asking “what if?”. That passion for exploration drives us to co-create unique products that consumers taste, smell, or feel in fine fragrances and beauty, detergents and household goods, as well as beloved foods and beverages. Our 6,200 team members globally take advantage of leading consumer insights, research and development, creative expertise, and customer intimacy to develop differentiated offerings for consumer products. Learn more at www.iff.com, Twitter and LinkedIn.
Cautionary Statement Under The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
This press release includes “forward-looking statements” under the Federal Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding our outlook for the fourth quarter and full year 2015, expected returns from our recent acquisitions and partnerships, and our ability to generate shareholder returns and sustain our long-term growth performance. These forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by cautionary statements and risk factor disclosures contained in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Commission on March 2, 2015. The Company wishes to caution readers that certain important factors may have affected and could in the future affect the Company’s actual results and could cause the Company’s actual results for subsequent periods to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements made by or on behalf of the Company. With respect to the Company’s expectations regarding these statements, such factors include, but are not limited to: (1) the Company’s ability to implement its Vision 2020 strategy; (2) volatility and increases in the price of raw materials, energy and transportation; (3) the economic and political risks associated with the Company’s international operations; (4) the Company’s ability to benefit from its investments and expansion in emerging markets; (5) fluctuations in the quality and availability of raw materials; (6) changes in consumer preferences and demand for the Company’s products or a decline in consumer confidence and spending; (7) the Company’s ability to implement its business strategy, including the achievement of anticipated cost savings, profitability, realization of price increases and growth targets; (8) the Company’s ability to successfully develop new and competitive products that appeal to its customers and consumers; (9) the impact of a disruption in the Company’s supply chain or its relationship with its suppliers; (10) the impact of currency fluctuations or devaluations in the Company’s principal foreign markets; (11) any adverse impact on the availability, effectiveness and cost of the Company’s hedging and risk management strategies; (12) the effects of any unanticipated costs and construction or start-up delays in the expansion of the Company’s facilities; (13) the Company’s ability to successfully execute acquisitions, collaborations and joint ventures; (14) the Company’s ability to manage unanticipated costs and other adverse financial impacts in connection with its acquisitions; (15) the effect of legal and regulatory proceedings, as well as restrictions imposed on the Company, its operations or its representatives by U.S. and foreign governments; (16) adverse changes in federal, state, local and foreign tax legislation or adverse results of tax audits, assessments, or disputes; and (17) changes in market conditions or governmental regulations relating to our pension and postretirement obligations. New risks emerge from time to time and it is not possible for management to predict all such risk factors or to assess the impact of such risks on the Company’s business. Accordingly, the Company undertakes no obligation to publicly revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
VP, Global Corporate Communications & Investor Relations:
Michael DeVeau, 212-708-7164
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Westinghouse Electric Company Signs Cooperation Agreement for Lead-Cooled Fast Reactor Development22.2.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
Westinghouse Electric Company has signed a Cooperation Agreement for lead-cooled fast reactor (LFR) technology development with the Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (ENEA) and Ansaldo Nucleare. The agreement demonstrates each party’s commitment to collaborating toward the development of a next-generation nuclear plant based on LFR technology, which is both “walk-away” safe and economically competitive across global energy markets. “This agreement is an exciting step towards the development of a lead-cooled fast reactor for the marketplace,” said Ken Canavan, Westinghouse chief technology officer and vice president, Global Technology Office. “The LFR is game-changing technology for clean energy industries, and Westinghouse is pleased to be working with such experienced partners to bring this innovative concept to fruition.” Beyond baseload electricity generation, the high-temperature operation of the LFR will allow for a broad ran
Mavenir Teams with Dell EMC to Deliver Expanded Cloud-Native NFV Solutions22.2.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
Mavenir, a leader in mobile network transformation, today announced its collaboration with Dell EMC OEM Solutions to deliver a broad range of solutions for service providers and enterprises covering 5G Cloud RAN, Packet Core, IoT, VoLTE, VoWiFi and RCS on Mavenir’s cloud-native Open Stack NFV and container CloudRange™ platform. Communications service providers are under intense pressure to simultaneously drive new revenue streams and aggressively reduce costs as OTTs gain market share in voice and messaging services. This expanded collaboration directly addresses these challenges, bringing together Mavenir’s extensive software stack for mobile network providers and Dell EMC solutions for infrastructure, cloud and IOT to create new offerings and best practices that enable the cost effective and rapid evolution of service provider and enterprise networks. Mavenir and Dell EMC OEM will pursue advanced engineering engagements in Cloud RAN, IOT and Enterprise Private LTE Solutions, includin
Equifax Integrates Entersekt’s Digital Security System22.2.2018 12:35 | Pressemelding
Entersekt, a leader in push-based authentication and mobile app security, today announced a technology partnership with global information solutions company Equifax Inc. (NYSE:EFX). Equifax has licensed Entersekt’s product Transakt to serve as an additional layer of security protecting the Equifax online and mobile services. Transakt empowers consumers to play an active role in safeguarding their digital identities and accounts. Whenever access to a digital identity or account is required, an authentication request is pushed to their phone or tablet in real time. They approve or block access by simply tapping Accept or Reject. It’s a highly intuitive, one-touch user experience engineered for a mobile-first world. Transakt’s ease of use belies its advanced set of security features. Covered by 56 patents in the United States and elsewhere, the digital-certificate–based technology uniquely identifies each registered mobile device; ensures its continued integrity as a factor of authenticat
ImmerVision to Showcase AI-Ready Vision Technology at MWC 201822.2.2018 12:00 | Pressemelding
ImmerVision, a technology company enabling intelligent vision in all the world’s devices, announced today that it is uniquely prepared to provide AI-ready, data-rich image processing to today’s most incisive device makers and manufacturers. Indeed, ImmerVision is already providing such hyper-intelligent image capture capabilities to some of the world’s top brands. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180222005513/en/ ImmerVision Enables AI-ready intelligent devices include Acer Holo360, Quanta Pi SOLO, and Tamaggo 360LiveCam (Graphic: Business Wire) Based in Montreal, Canada, ImmerVision develops wide-angle panomorph lenses and data-augmented imaging algorithms, enabling creative manufacturers to see more and smarter while creating professional and consumer devices. “In our quest to enable intelligent vision in every device, ImmerVision has taken a great leap forward,” says Alessandro Gasparini, Executive Vice Presi
Kite, a Gilead Company, and Sangamo Therapeutics Announce Collaboration to Develop Next-Generation Engineered Cell Therapies for the Treatment of Cancer22.2.2018 12:00 | Pressemelding
Kite, a Gilead Company (Nasdaq:GILD) and Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq:SGMO) today announced the companies have entered into a worldwide collaboration using Sangamo’s zinc finger nuclease (ZFN) technology platform for the development of next-generation ex vivo cell therapies in oncology. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180222005488/en/ Kite will use Sangamo’s ZFN technology to modify genes to develop next-generation cell therapies for autologous and allogeneic use in treating different cancers. Allogeneic cell therapies from healthy donor cells or from renewable stem cells would provide a potential treatment option that can be accessed directly within the oncology infusion center, thus reducing the time to infusion for patients. Under the terms of the agreement, Sangamo will receive an upfront payment of $150 million and is eligible to receive up to $3.01 billion in potential payments, aggregated across 10
CorFlow Presents Fundamental New Insights into the Coronary Microcirculation at ACC22.2.2018 09:10 | Pressemelding
CorFlow Therapeutics AG (www.corflow-therapeutics.ch) today announced that the company will present fundamental new insights into the coronary microcirculation during the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology (ACC) in Orlando, FL, March 10-12, 2018. CorFlow has since its foundation in June 2016 worked to document that the Controlled Flow Infusion (CoFITM) technology is able to measure the coronary microvascular status and provide therapy to the compromised coronary microcirculation at the same time. Microvascular obstruction (MVO) affects more than half of the acute heart attack patients and is an independent predictor for complications including heart failure which constitutes a high cost burden for the world-wide health care system. To address this large unmet medical need in interventional cardiology, CorFlow has developed an in-vivo model which reproducibly creates MVO in an occlusion-reperfusion model with very low complication rates. Using this in-vivo model, the C