IFF Reports First Quarter 2017 Results
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE: IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) reported financial results and strategic achievements for the first quarter ended March 31, 2017.
“We are pleased to report that our first quarter sales growth was strong and in line with our expectations,” said IFF Chairman and CEO Andreas Fibig. “Sales performance was broad-based, driven by the contribution of our recent acquisitions and a strong performance in Flavors, where we achieved growth across all categories and regions.
“In terms of profit – excluding the impact of currency and items that affect comparability – the contribution from our recent acquisitions was strong, and supported overall profitability as we are ahead of our acquisition plan. In addition, we achieved a lower effective tax rate and reduced shares outstanding related to our share repurchased program, both which provided an additional benefit to EPS.”
Mr. Fibig continued, “As we look to the balance of the year, we are optimistic that we can achieve our previously stated annual financial guidance, on a currency neutral basis. By leveraging our competitive advantages, executing against our strategic plan, and fully realizing the benefits of our productivity program announced earlier this year, we believe we are well-positioned to continue to deliver long-term, sustainable shareholder value.”
First Quarter 2017 Consolidated Financial Highlights
- Reported net sales for the first quarter totaled $828.3 million, an increase of 6% from $783.3 million for the first quarter of 2016. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange, currency neutral sales increased 7% over the prior year, including approximately five percentage points related to our recent acquisitions.
- Reported operating profit for the first quarter was $137.4 million versus $169.9 million reported in 2016. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange and those items that affect comparability, currency neutral adjusted operating profit grew 3% as acquisitions, volume growth, and cost savings initiatives more than offset unfavorable price to input costs as well as unplanned expenses, including unfavorable manufacturing variances, bad debt, a product recall and a litigation loss.
- Reported earnings per share (EPS) for the first quarter was $1.45 per diluted share versus $1.47 per diluted share reported in 2016. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange and those items that affect comparability, currency neutral adjusted EPS improved 9%, benefiting from a more favorable year-over-year effective tax rate and lower year-over-year shares outstanding.
First Quarter 2017 Strategic Highlights
Innovating Firsts: strengthen position and drive differentiation in priority R&D platforms
- Sweetness and savory modulation portfolio sales improved strong double-digits
- Encapsulation-related sales continued strong growth in Personal Wash
- Launched & commercialized two new flavor molecules
Win Where We Compete: achieve market leadership position in key markets, categories & customers
- North America sales +14%, inclusive of our recent acquisitions
- IFF | Lucas Meyer Cosmetics won three beauty industry awards from CosmeticsDesign
- Growth achieved across both global and regional accounts, with regionals outpacing
Become Our Customers’ Partner of Choice: attain commercial excellence
- Extended business access through core list status with a multinational Flavors customer
- Received an innovation award from a top Flavors customer
- Launched 2016 Sustainability Report “Circular by Design”
- IFF-LMR Naturals Achieved 9th For Life Certification: Burgundy Blackcurrant Bud
Strengthen and Expand the Portfolio: pursue value creation through collaborations & acquisitions
- Purchased PowderPure in April 2017 – to further expand expertise and offerings for clean label solutions that satisfy consumer demands
- David Michael and Fragrance Resources acquisitions contributed approximately 5 percentage points of sales growth and 3 percentage points of operating profit growth in Q1 2017
Fragrances Business Unit
- On a reported basis, sales increased 3%, or $11.3 million, to $422.1 million. Currency neutral sales also improved 3% led by growth in Fine Fragrances, Fabric Care and Fragrance Ingredients.
- Fine Fragrances improved 10% on a reported basis and on a currency neutral basis, inclusive of additional sales related to the acquisition of Fragrance Resources. Three of the four regions achieved strong growth with the exception of Latin America, which experienced abnormally high volume erosion due to weak economic conditions.
- Consumer Fragrances increased 1% on a reported and 2% on a currency neutral basis, principally driven by the additional sales related to the acquisition of Fragrance Resources and low single-digit growth in Fabric Care.
- Fragrance Ingredients grew 1% on a reported basis and 2% on a currency neutral basis, as double-digit growth in EAME and Latin America was offset by softness in North America and Greater Asia.
- Fragrances segment profit decreased 8% on a reported basis and 6% on a currency neutral basis, as volume growth and the benefits from productivity initiatives were more than offset by unfavorable price to input costs, as well as several unplanned expenses.
Flavors Business Unit
- On a reported basis, sales increased 9%, or $33.7 million, to $406.2 million, while currency neutral sales grew 10% with broad-based organic growth across all regions, as well as the contribution of sales related to the David Michael acquisition.
- EAME was flat on a reported basis and increased 6% on a currency neutral basis, led by high-single-digit increases in Western Europe and Central, Southern and Eastern Europe.
- North America grew 27% reflecting additional sales related to the acquisition of David Michael, as well as strong double-digit growth in Dairy and Savory in the organic business.
- Latin America increased 9% on a reported and 7% on a currency neutral basis, led by double-digit growth in Mexico and Andean Pact and mid-single-digit growth in South Cone.
- Greater Asia increased 2% on a reported and 3% on a currency neutral basis, led by strong double-digit growth in India, Thailand and the Philippines.
- Flavors segment profit grew 7% on a reported basis and 12% on a currency neutral basis, led by volume growth, the benefits from productivity initiatives and the contribution of the David Michael acquisition.
A copy of the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-Q will be available on its website at www.iff.com or at sec.gov by May 10, 2017.
A live webcast to discuss the Company’s first quarter financial results will be held on May 9, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. EDT. Investors may access the webcast and accompanying slide presentation on the Company's IR website at ir.iff.com. For those unable to listen to the live webcast, a recorded version will be made available on the Company's website approximately one hour after the event and will remain available on IFF’s website for one year.
Cautionary Statement Under The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
This press release includes “forward-looking statements” under the Federal Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding our outlook for fiscal year 2017, the expected impact of and benefits from productivity initiatives long-term and the impact of our actions on long-term value creation for our customers and shareholders. These forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by cautionary statements and risk factor disclosures contained in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Commission on February 28, 2017. The Company wishes to caution readers that certain important factors may have affected and could in the future affect the Company’s actual results and could cause the Company’s actual results for subsequent periods to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements made by or on behalf of the Company. With respect to the Company’s expectations regarding these statements, such factors include, but are not limited to: (1) macroeconomic trends affecting the emerging markets; (2) the Company’s ability to implement and adapt its Vision 2020 strategy; (3) the Company’s ability to successfully identify and complete acquisitions in line with its Vision 2020 strategy, and to realize the anticipated benefits of those acquisitions; (4) the Company’s ability to realize the benefits of its productivity initiatives and other optimization activities, (5) the Company’s ability to effectively compete in its market, and to successfully develop new and competitive products that appeal to its customers and consumers; (6) changes in consumer preferences and demand for the Company’s products or a decline in consumer confidence and spending; (7) the Company’s ability to benefit from its investments and expansion in emerging markets; (8) the impact of currency fluctuations or devaluations in the principal foreign markets in which it operates, including the devaluation of the Euro; (9) the economic and political risks associated with the Company’s international operations, including challenging economic conditions in China and Latin America; (10) the impact of any failure of the Company’s key information technology systems or a breach of information security; (11) the Company’s ability to attract and retain talented employees; (12) the Company’s ability to comply with, and the costs associated with compliance with U.S. and foreign environmental protection laws; (13) volatility and increases in the price of raw materials, energy and transportation; (14) price realization in a rising input cost environment (15) fluctuations in the quality and availability of raw materials; (16) the impact of a disruption in the Company’s supply chain or its relationship with its suppliers; (17) the impact of customer claims or product recalls; (18) any adverse impact on the availability, effectiveness and cost of the Company’s hedging and risk management strategies; (19) the Company’s ability to successfully manage its working capital and inventory balances; (20) uncertainties regarding the outcome of, or funding requirements related to litigation or settlement of pending litigation uncertain tax positions or other contingencies; (21) the effect of legal and regulatory developments, as well as restrictions or costs that may be imposed on the Company or its operations by U.S. and foreign governments; (22) adverse changes in federal, state, local and international tax legislation or policies, including with respect to transfer pricing and state aid, and adverse results of tax audits, assessments, or disputes; and (23) changes in market conditions or governmental regulations relating to our pension and postretirement obligations. New risks emerge from time to time and it is not possible for management to predict all such risk factors or to assess the impact of such risks on the Company’s business. Accordingly, the Company undertakes no obligation to publicly revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
We provide in this press release (1) Currency Neutral Sales, (2) Adjusted Operating Profit and Currency Neutral Adjusted Operating Profit and (3) Adjusted EPS and Currency Neutral Adjusted EPS, which exclude restructuring costs and other significant items such as legal charges/credits, gain on sale of assets, operational improvement initiatives, acquisition related costs, integration-related costs, CTA realization (often referred to as “Items Impacting Comparability”) and, with respect to the currency neutral items, the impact of foreign currency movements, that are of a non-operational nature. We provide these metrics as we believe that they are useful in providing period to period comparisons of the results of our operational performance. When we provide our expectations for our currency neutral metrics in our full year 2017 guidance, we estimate the anticipated FX impact by comparing prior year results to the prior year results restated at exchange rates in effect for the current year based on the currency of the underlying transaction. When we provide our expectations for our Adjusted Operating Profit and our Adjusted EPS in our full year 2017 guidance, the closest corresponding GAAP measures (expected reported Operating Profit and EPS) and a reconciliation of the differences between the non-GAAP expectation and the corresponding GAAP measure generally are not available without unreasonable effort due to inherent difficulty of forecasting the timing and amount of reconciling items that would be excluded from the GAAP measure in the relevant future period and the relevant tax impact of such reconciling items on EPS. The variability of the excluded items may have a significant, and potentially unpredictable, impact on our future GAAP results. Currency Neutral Sales, Adjusted Operating Profit, Currency Neutral Adjusted Operating Profit, Adjusted EPS and Currency Neutral Adjusted EPS should not be considered in isolation or as substitutes for analysis of the Company’s results under GAAP and may not be comparable to other companies’ calculation of such metrics.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris: IFF) is a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world. At the heart of our company, we are fueled by a sense of discovery, constantly asking “what if?”. That passion for exploration drives us to co-create unique products that consumers taste, smell, or feel in fine fragrances and beauty, detergents and household goods, as well as beloved foods and beverages. Our 7,300 team members globally take advantage of leading consumer insights, research and development, creative expertise, and customer intimacy to develop differentiated offerings for consumer products. Learn more at www.iff.com, Twitter , Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
521 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
Michael DeVeau, 212-708-7164
VP, Global Corporate Communications & Investor Relations
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Cushman & Wakefield To Acquire Its Irish Affiliate From Sherry FitzGerald Group16.7.2018 13:49 | Pressemelding
Global real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield today announces it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the commercial property arm of Sherry FitzGerald Group in the Republic of Ireland. The deal is expected to complete in early September 2018. Cushman & Wakefield already has a 20% stake in the Irish commercial property business which operated as its exclusive affiliate in the Republic – rebranding two years ago as Cushman & Wakefield Ireland. The firm, which has more than 100 commercial property professionals and offices in Dublin, Limerick and Galway, will now be fully integrated into Cushman & Wakefield, one of the world’s largest real estate services firms with 48,000 employees in approximately 400 offices and 70 countries. Managing Director Aidan Gavin becomes Cushman & Wakefield’s Head of Ireland and will also sit on the firm’s UK & Ireland Executive Committee. Cushman & Wakefield will maintain its close affiliate relationship with the wider Sherry FitzGerald G
Fischer & Schickendantz and Solution Alliance SRL Adopt Andersen Brand in Uruguay16.7.2018 13:30 | Pressemelding
Fischer & Schickendantz, led by Juan Federico Fischer, and Solution Alliance SRL, led by Juan Ignacio Troccoli, have rebranded this week as Andersen Tax & Legal, a member firm of Andersen Global. The firm, based in Montevideo, entered a Collaboration Agreement with Andersen Global in September 2017, and is now a fully integrated member of the global verein. Juan Federico Fischer remarked, “Andersen is a symbol of quality and is recognized worldwide by both clients and professionals, and is ahead of the game in terms of creating a global firm with integrated tax and legal services. We are truly excited to officially be part of the team.” “Throughout their time with us as a collaborating firm and now a member firm, the team in Uruguay has demonstrated a deep commitment to providing seamless, best-in-class service. Additionally, Juan Federico is a member of Andersen Global’s Latin American regional board, and is the true embodiment of the values that our organization represents. I look fo
Norsk Titanium Produces Space Demonstration Hardware16.7.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Norsk Titanium (Norsk), the world’s first FAA-approved supplier of aerospace-grade, additive manufactured, structural titanium components, has produced an Expansion Nozzle demonstrator in support of the European Space Agency’s Technology Research Programme (TRP). The TRP is an European Space Agency (ESA) technology development effort supporting all of ESA’s fields of activity across the entire spectrum of technical disciplines, providing the technological nucleus for most future developments. Norsk was awarded a TRP contract with the ESA in 2014 to explore the application of Norsk’s Rapid Plasma Deposition™ (RPD™) process to space applications. Through the TRP contract, Norsk has refined its material characterization and quality assurance processes, while providing ESA valuable insight into the application of additive processes to their unique needs. The culmination of this effort was the production of an Expansion Nozzle demonstrator. The Expansion Nozzle utilizes the latest RPD™ desi
CALVIN KLEIN Fragrances Announces Lupita Nyong'o and Saoirse Ronan as Faces of CALVIN KLEIN WOMEN16.7.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Calvin Klein, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of PVH Corp. [NYSE:PVH], and Calvin Klein Fragrances, a division of Coty Inc. [NYSE:COTY], today revealed the worldwide print advertising campaign for the new fragrance CALVIN KLEIN WOMEN , the first CALVIN KLEIN fragrance to be developed under the vision of Chief Creative Officer, Raf Simons. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180716005092/en/ CALVIN KLEIN WOMEN The campaign features Lupita Nyong'o and Saoirse Ronan. Award-winning actors and voices of their generation, both women are universally recognized for their unique talent, creativity, intelligence and strength of character. Directed by artist Anne Collier with creative direction from Lloyd & Co., the campaign champions iconic women and celebrates heroines of contemporary culture. Lupita and Saoirse are featured in the print campaign, in a pair of striking and direct portraits, positioned next to chosen figure
Bank of America Reports Second-Quarter 2018 Financial Results16.7.2018 10:45 | Pressemelding
Bank of America reported its second-quarter 2018 financial results today. The news release, supplemental filing and investor presentation can be accessed in the following ways: This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180716005280/en/ Bank of America newsroom at https://newsroom.bankofamerica.com Bank of America Investor Relations website at http://investor.bankofamerica.com Business Wire’s news webpage at http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/news Investor Conference Call information Chief Executive Officer Brian Moynihan and Chief Financial Officer Paul Donofrio will discuss the financial results in a conference call at 8:30 a.m. ET today. For a listen-only connection to the conference call, dial 1.877.200.4456 (U.S.) or 1.785.424.1732 (international), and the conference ID is 79795. Please dial in 10 minutes prior to the start of the call. Investors can also listen to a live audio webcast of the conference ca
Bank of Singapore is the First Singapore Private Bank to Receive Regulatory Approval to Open a Wealth Management Subsidiary in Luxembourg16.7.2018 09:36 | Pressemelding
Bank of Singapore today announced that it has been granted an investment company licence to operate a wealth management subsidiary in Luxembourg – a first for a Singapore private bank. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180716005252/en/ (Photo: BOSWM) Bank of Singapore, through this new subsidiary, BOS Wealth Management Europe Société Anonyme (S.A.), will be able to offer a comprehensive range of customised private banking solutions and investment advisory services to its ultra-high and high net worth clients in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and the United Kingdom (“UK”). The EEA comprises the European Union (EU) countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Currently, Bank of Singapore serves its European clients from its Singapore headquarters and through its parent company OCBC Bank’s London office. There has been robust growth in assets under management from EEA clients as they hold Singapore in high