Global Cloud Index Projects Cloud Traffic to Represent 95 Percent of Total Data Center Traffic by 2021
Cloud Service Adoption Creates New Data Center Demands
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, Cisco released the seventh annual Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021). The updated report focuses on data center virtualization and cloud computing, which have become fundamental elements in transforming how many business and consumer network services are delivered.
According to the study, both consumer and business applications are contributing to the growing dominance of cloud services over the Internet. For consumers, streaming video, social networking, and Internet search are among the most popular cloud applications. For business users, enterprise resource planning (ERP), collaboration, analytics, and other digital enterprise applications represent leading growth areas.
Strong Multicloud Traffic Growth Projected
Driven by surging cloud applications, data center traffic is growing fast. The study forecasts global cloud data center traffic to reach 19.5 zettabytes (ZB) per year by 2021, up from 6.0 ZB per year in 2016 (3.3-fold growth or a 27 percent compound annual growth rate [CAGR] from 2016 to 2021). Globally, cloud data center traffic will represent 95 percent of total data center traffic by 2021, compared to 88 percent in 2016.
Improved Security and IoT Fuel Cloud Growth
In the past, security concerns have been a major barrier to cloud adoption. Improvements in data center governance and data control have helped to minimize enterprise risk and better protect consumer information. Security innovations coupled with tangible cloud computing benefits, including scalability and economies of scale, play key roles in fueling the cloud growth projected in the study. Additionally, the growth of Internet of Things (IoT) applications such as smart cars, smart cities, connected health and digital utilities requires scalable computing and storage solutions to accommodate new and expanding data center demands. By 2021, Cisco expects IoT connections to reach 13.7 billion, up from 5.8 billion in 2016.
Hyperscale Data Centers Doubling
The increasing need for data center and cloud resources has led to the development of large-scale public cloud data centers called hyperscale data centers. In this year's forecast, it is expected that by 2021 there will be 628 hyperscale data centers globally, compared to 338 in 2016, 1.9-fold growth or near doubling over the forecast period. By 2021, hyperscale data centers will support:
- 53 percent of all data center servers (27 percent in 2016)
- 69 percent of all data center processing power (41 percent in 2016)
- 65 percent of all data stored in data centers (51 percent in 2016)
- 55 percent of all data center traffic (39 percent in 2016)
"Data center application growth is clearly exploding in this new multicloud world. This projected growth will require new innovations especially in the areas of public, private and hybrid clouds," said Kip Compton, Vice President of Cisco's Cloud Platform and Solutions Group.
Global Cloud Index Highlights and Key Projections:
1. Data center virtualization and cloud computing growth
- By 2021, 94 percent of workloads and compute instances will be processed by cloud data centers; 6 percent will be processed by traditional data centers.
- Overall data center workloads and compute instances will more than double (2.3-fold) from 2016 to 2021; however, cloud workloads and compute instances will nearly triple (2.7-fold) over the same period.
- The workload and compute instance density for cloud data centers was 8.8 in 2016 and will grow to 13.2 by 2021. Comparatively, for traditional data centers, workload and compute instance density was 2.4 in 2016 and will grow to 3.8 by 2021.
2. Growth in stored data fueled by big data and IoT
- Globally, the data stored in data centers will nearly quintuple by 2021 to reach 1.3 ZB by 2021, up 4.6-fold (a CAGR of 36%) from 286 EB in 2016.
- Big data will reach 403 exabytes (EB) by 2021, up almost 8-fold from 25 EB in 2016. Big data will represent 30 percent of data stored in data centers by 2021, up from 18 percent in 2016.
- The amount of data stored on devices will be 4.5 times higher than data stored in data centers, at 5.9 ZB by 2021.
- Driven largely by IoT, the total amount of data created (and not necessarily stored) by any device will reach 847 ZB per year by 2021, up from 218 ZB per year in 2016. Data created is two orders of magnitude higher than data stored.
3. Applications contribute to rise of global data center traffic
- By 2021, big data will account for 20 percent (2.5 ZB annual, 209 EB monthly) of traffic within data centers, compared to 12 percent (593 EB annual, 49 EB monthly) in 2016.
- By 2021, video streaming will account for 10 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 9 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, video will account for 85 percent of traffic from data centers to end users, compared to 78 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, search will account for 20 percent of traffic within data centers by 2021, compared to 28 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, social networking will account for 22 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 20 percent in 2016.
4. SaaS most popular cloud service model through 2021
- By 2021, 75 percent (402 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be SaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 71 percent (141 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 16 percent (85 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be IaaS workloads and compute instances, down from 21 percent (42 million) in 2016. (15% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 9 percent (46 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be PaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 8% (16 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
For the purposes of the study, cloud computing includes platforms that enable ubiquitous, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. Deployment models include private, public, and hybrid clouds. Cloud data centers can be operated by service providers as well as private enterprises.
The Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021) was developed to estimate global data center and cloud-based traffic growth and trends. The report serves as a complementary resource to existing Internet Protocol (IP) network traffic studies such as the Cisco Visual Networking Index(TM), providing new insights and visibility into emerging trends affecting data centers and cloud architectures. The forecast becomes increasingly important as the network and data center become more intrinsically linked in offering cloud services.
View our infographic: Growth in the Cloud.
Visit the Cisco Global Cloud Index webpage.
Read the Cisco Global Cloud Index, Forecast and Methodology, 2016-2021 White Paper.
Explore the Cisco Global Cloud Index Highlights Tool.
- Review the Cisco Global Cloud Index Supplement and Cloud Readiness Tool.
- Get your questions answered through the Cisco Global Cloud Index Q&A.
- Follow us on Twitter: @CiscoSP360 and through the hashtag #CiscoGCI
- Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Cisco welcomes analysts, bloggers, media, regulators, service providers and other interested parties to use Cisco's research with proper attribution: "Source: Cisco Global Cloud Index."
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products, and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Industry Analyst Contact:
Investor Relations Contact:
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Cisco via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Kofax Intelligent Automation Deployment at Davies Turner Wins Ventana Award for Overall Digital Leadership17.10.2018 12:00 | Pressemelding
Project Recognized for Driving Real-Time Insight into Shipments and Inventory to Transform the Customer Experience; Other Kofax Customers also Receive Accolades IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Kofax ® , a leading supplier of intelligent automation (IA) software to digitally transform end-to-end business processes, today announced its customer Davies Turner, one of the UK’s leading multimodal freight forwarding and logistics companies, won the 2018 Overall Digital Leadership Award from Ventana Research for its successful implementation of Kofax Intelligent Automation. Kofax customers Pinnacol Assurance and PITT-OHIO were also recognized. “Davies Turner’s commitment to automation was ambitious but the perfect match for Kofax Intelligent Automation,” said Reynolds C. Bish, Chief Executive Officer of Kofax. “This award is a great illustration of how Kofax enables increased productivity to help organizations remain on track for profitable growth and significant competitive
2018 European Cost Insight Product Cost Management Conference17.10.2018 10:00 | Pressemelding
Companies from Across Europe to Gather and Discuss How PCM Strategies & Technologies Improve Profitability & Accelerate Design to Delivery Time CONCORD, Mass., Oct. 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- aPriori, the leading provider of enterprise product cost management (PCM) software solutions, announces today that it will host the European Cost Insight Product Cost Management Conference on November 26-28, 2018. This year’s event is being held at Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. This event is open to both aPriori customers and representatives from any manufacturers that are interested in learning more about product cost management technology and best practices. Visit the Cost Insight 2018 Event Website for complete information and register for this year’s program. Why Should You Attend Cost Insight 2018? As pressure increases to deliver innovative and customized products to market faster, manufacturers are struggling to maintain product profits and accelerate de
In-Memory Computing Summit North America 2018 Lays Out Vision for Digital Technology Evolution, Provides Practical Advice for Addressing Performance and Scalability Challenges17.10.2018 09:00 | Pressemelding
Keynotes, Breakout Sessions from Industry Leaders and Technology Experts Offer Actionable Advice on Navigating the Trends, Challenges and Solutions of Digital Transformation FOSTER CITY, Calif., Oct. 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GridGain® Systems, provider of enterprise-grade in-memory computing solutions based on Apache® Ignite™, today discussed the success of the fourth annual In-Memory Computing Summit® North America, which took place October 2-3, 2018 at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport. The In-Memory Computing Summits (IMCSs), held annually in Europe and North America, are the only industry-wide events focusing on the full range of in-memory computing technologies and solutions. Nearly 450 people representing 227 organizations from 10 countries across 4 continents and 19 U.S. states registered to listen to speakers from American Airlines, ING Belgium, Intel Corp., Oracle, Salesforce.com, Huawei, SNIA, Wellington Management, GridGain Systems and many more. Recordings and sli
IMRALDI™, Biogen’s Adalimumab Biosimilar Referencing Humira®, Is Launched in the European Union17.10.2018 08:00 | Pressemelding
IMRALDITM is approved in the European Union for the same 14 complex autoimmune conditions as its reference product In 2017 Biogen became the first company in Europe with approved biosimilars referencing the three most prescribed anti-TNF biologic treatments BAAR, Switzerland, Oct. 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Samsung Bioepis Co. Ltd, a joint venture between Samsung BioLogics and Biogen (Nasdaq: BIIB) today announced the European launch of IMRALDITM, an adalimumab biosimilar referencing Humira®.1 IMRALDI is approved in Europe for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA), juvenile idiopathic arthritis, axial spondyloarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, paediatric plaque psoriasis, adult and adolescent hidradenitis suppurativa, Crohn’s disease, paediatric Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and uveitis. The launch of IMRALDI completes Biogen’s portfolio of three anti-TNF biosimilars in Europe, with BENEPALITM (etanercept), a biosimilar referencing Enbrel® 2, and FLIXABITM (inflixi
Atico Produces 5.36 Million Pounds of Cu and 3,010 Ounces of Au in Third Quarter 201816.10.2018 22:30 | Pressemelding
VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Oct. 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Atico Mining Corporation (the “Company” or “Atico”) (TSX.V: ATY | OTC: ATCMF) announces its operating results for the three months ended September 30, 2018 from its El Roble mine. Production for the quarter totaled 5.36 million pounds of copper and 3,010 ounces of gold in concentrates, an increase of 5% for copper and 6% for gold, respectively, over the same period in 2017. “We are pleased to report another strong quarter of production as the El Roble mine continues to operate at a steady state level while the Company remains on track to deliver on our 2018 operational objectives,” said Fernando E. Ganoza, CEO. “For remainder of the year, we will continue optimizing the operation and executing the aggressive exploration drilling program at the El Roble property looking for additional mineralization both regionally and at mine vicinity.” Third Quarter Operational Highlights Production of 5.36 million pounds of copper contain
SoftServe’s Research Team Takes Prize at Samsung AI Challenge16.10.2018 21:16 | Pressemelding
Artificial intelligence leveraged to deblur and dehaze photos and videos with exceptional quality AUSTIN, Texas, Oct. 16, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SoftServe, a leading digital authority and consulting company, announced its researchers won second place at the Samsung AI Challenge 2018 with innovative neural image restoration enhancement for mobile and embedded devices. “Artificial intelligence is at the center of future-proofing technologies for many businesses today,” said Serge Haziyev, senior vice president for Advanced Technology at SoftServe. “The opportunities for AI are endless and we are proud of our team and their commitment to creating an innovative AI algorithm that pushed the boundaries of existing deblurring and dehazing technologies as part of Samsung’s AI Hackathon.” The winning team, made up of SoftServe research engineers, Volodymyr Budzan and Orest Kupyn, participated in the worldwide event developing a solution that uses state-of-the-art deep learning and computer vi
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom