Global Cloud Index Projects Cloud Traffic to Represent 95 Percent of Total Data Center Traffic by 2021
Cloud Service Adoption Creates New Data Center Demands
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, Cisco released the seventh annual Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021). The updated report focuses on data center virtualization and cloud computing, which have become fundamental elements in transforming how many business and consumer network services are delivered.
According to the study, both consumer and business applications are contributing to the growing dominance of cloud services over the Internet. For consumers, streaming video, social networking, and Internet search are among the most popular cloud applications. For business users, enterprise resource planning (ERP), collaboration, analytics, and other digital enterprise applications represent leading growth areas.
Strong Multicloud Traffic Growth Projected
Driven by surging cloud applications, data center traffic is growing fast. The study forecasts global cloud data center traffic to reach 19.5 zettabytes (ZB) per year by 2021, up from 6.0 ZB per year in 2016 (3.3-fold growth or a 27 percent compound annual growth rate [CAGR] from 2016 to 2021). Globally, cloud data center traffic will represent 95 percent of total data center traffic by 2021, compared to 88 percent in 2016.
Improved Security and IoT Fuel Cloud Growth
In the past, security concerns have been a major barrier to cloud adoption. Improvements in data center governance and data control have helped to minimize enterprise risk and better protect consumer information. Security innovations coupled with tangible cloud computing benefits, including scalability and economies of scale, play key roles in fueling the cloud growth projected in the study. Additionally, the growth of Internet of Things (IoT) applications such as smart cars, smart cities, connected health and digital utilities requires scalable computing and storage solutions to accommodate new and expanding data center demands. By 2021, Cisco expects IoT connections to reach 13.7 billion, up from 5.8 billion in 2016.
Hyperscale Data Centers Doubling
The increasing need for data center and cloud resources has led to the development of large-scale public cloud data centers called hyperscale data centers. In this year's forecast, it is expected that by 2021 there will be 628 hyperscale data centers globally, compared to 338 in 2016, 1.9-fold growth or near doubling over the forecast period. By 2021, hyperscale data centers will support:
- 53 percent of all data center servers (27 percent in 2016)
- 69 percent of all data center processing power (41 percent in 2016)
- 65 percent of all data stored in data centers (51 percent in 2016)
- 55 percent of all data center traffic (39 percent in 2016)
"Data center application growth is clearly exploding in this new multicloud world. This projected growth will require new innovations especially in the areas of public, private and hybrid clouds," said Kip Compton, Vice President of Cisco's Cloud Platform and Solutions Group.
Global Cloud Index Highlights and Key Projections:
1. Data center virtualization and cloud computing growth
- By 2021, 94 percent of workloads and compute instances will be processed by cloud data centers; 6 percent will be processed by traditional data centers.
- Overall data center workloads and compute instances will more than double (2.3-fold) from 2016 to 2021; however, cloud workloads and compute instances will nearly triple (2.7-fold) over the same period.
- The workload and compute instance density for cloud data centers was 8.8 in 2016 and will grow to 13.2 by 2021. Comparatively, for traditional data centers, workload and compute instance density was 2.4 in 2016 and will grow to 3.8 by 2021.
2. Growth in stored data fueled by big data and IoT
- Globally, the data stored in data centers will nearly quintuple by 2021 to reach 1.3 ZB by 2021, up 4.6-fold (a CAGR of 36%) from 286 EB in 2016.
- Big data will reach 403 exabytes (EB) by 2021, up almost 8-fold from 25 EB in 2016. Big data will represent 30 percent of data stored in data centers by 2021, up from 18 percent in 2016.
- The amount of data stored on devices will be 4.5 times higher than data stored in data centers, at 5.9 ZB by 2021.
- Driven largely by IoT, the total amount of data created (and not necessarily stored) by any device will reach 847 ZB per year by 2021, up from 218 ZB per year in 2016. Data created is two orders of magnitude higher than data stored.
3. Applications contribute to rise of global data center traffic
- By 2021, big data will account for 20 percent (2.5 ZB annual, 209 EB monthly) of traffic within data centers, compared to 12 percent (593 EB annual, 49 EB monthly) in 2016.
- By 2021, video streaming will account for 10 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 9 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, video will account for 85 percent of traffic from data centers to end users, compared to 78 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, search will account for 20 percent of traffic within data centers by 2021, compared to 28 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, social networking will account for 22 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 20 percent in 2016.
4. SaaS most popular cloud service model through 2021
- By 2021, 75 percent (402 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be SaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 71 percent (141 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 16 percent (85 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be IaaS workloads and compute instances, down from 21 percent (42 million) in 2016. (15% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 9 percent (46 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be PaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 8% (16 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
For the purposes of the study, cloud computing includes platforms that enable ubiquitous, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. Deployment models include private, public, and hybrid clouds. Cloud data centers can be operated by service providers as well as private enterprises.
The Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021) was developed to estimate global data center and cloud-based traffic growth and trends. The report serves as a complementary resource to existing Internet Protocol (IP) network traffic studies such as the Cisco Visual Networking Index(TM), providing new insights and visibility into emerging trends affecting data centers and cloud architectures. The forecast becomes increasingly important as the network and data center become more intrinsically linked in offering cloud services.
View our infographic: Growth in the Cloud.
Visit the Cisco Global Cloud Index webpage.
Read the Cisco Global Cloud Index, Forecast and Methodology, 2016-2021 White Paper.
Explore the Cisco Global Cloud Index Highlights Tool.
- Review the Cisco Global Cloud Index Supplement and Cloud Readiness Tool.
- Get your questions answered through the Cisco Global Cloud Index Q&A.
- Follow us on Twitter: @CiscoSP360 and through the hashtag #CiscoGCI
- Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Cisco welcomes analysts, bloggers, media, regulators, service providers and other interested parties to use Cisco's research with proper attribution: "Source: Cisco Global Cloud Index."
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products, and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Industry Analyst Contact:
Investor Relations Contact:
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Cisco via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
GlobeNewswire Test Release19.5.2018 07:00 | Pressemelding
LOS ANGELES, May 18, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- This is a test from GlobeNewswire. Readers are advised to disregard. TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING -- TESTING – -END- CONTACT: Karen Yu Director, GlobeNewswire Product Management Direct: +1 310 258 6917 Mobile: +1 626 389 7427 or Magali Rolandez Senior Manager, Media Relations/Content Distribution Europe Direct: +44 (0) 203 753 2215 Mobile: +44 (0) 7785 619 539
BK Ultrasound, Powered by Analogic, Launches bkSpecto Ultrasound System for Urology at the 2018 American Urological Association Annual Meeting18.5.2018 23:23 | Pressemelding
PEABODY, Mass., May 18, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Analogic Corporation (Nasdaq:ALOG), enabling the world's medical imaging and aviation security technology, today announced that it will launch the bkSpecto(TM) ultrasound system at the 113th AUA (American Urological Association) Annual Meeting, May 18-21, in San Francisco. bkSpecto-taken from the Latin word Specto, meaning 'I see'-is BK Ultrasound's all-new ultrasound platform designed for clinical practices. bkSpecto combines BK's advanced auto-optimization algorithms with faster processing to render exceptional anatomical imaging detail with minimal manual adjustment by the user. The system has a unique glass touch-based interface using BK's Tru-Sense(TM) technology to provide 'sightless navigation.' The interface enables tactile feedback with or without gloves, providing an intuitive, self-guided user experience. The interface is also customizable, enabling personalized and faster user workflows. The small footprint of bkSpecto makes
Brookfield Asset Management Announces Renewal of Normal Course Issuer Bid18.5.2018 12:55 | Pressemelding
TORONTO, May 18, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (NYSE:BAM) (TSX:BAM.A) (EURONEXT:BAMA) ("Brookfield") today announced it has received approval from the Toronto Stock Exchange ("TSX") for the renewal of its normal course issuer bid to purchase up to 82,315,909 Class A Limited Voting Shares ("Class A Shares"), representing 10% of the public float of Brookfield's outstanding Class A Shares. Purchases under the bid will be made through the facilities of the TSX, the New York Stock Exchange ("NYSE") and any alternative Canadian trading system. The period of the normal course issuer bid will extend from May 24, 2018 to May 23, 2019, or an earlier date should Brookfield complete its purchases. Brookfield will pay the market price at the time of acquisition for any Class A Shares purchased. As at May 1, 2018, the number of Class A Shares issued and outstanding totalled 991,857,711, of which 823,159,095 shares represented the public float. In accordance with the rules
Skybox Security and Exclusive Networks Announce New Partnership for Middle East Distribution of the Skybox Security Suite17.5.2018 18:41 | Pressemelding
The cybersecurity management platform ensures networks remain secure and compliant as organisations migrate to cloud and merge networks SAN JOSE, Calif., May 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Skybox(TM) Security, a global leader in cybersecurity management, announced today a new partnership with Exclusive Networks for distribution of Skybox solutions in the Middle East, including the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region and Egypt. Exclusive Networks will deploy and service the Skybox(TM) Security Suite, a broad security management platform that provides comprehensive attack surface visibility and enables unified vulnerability management and firewall/security policy management across an organization's entire network, including in physical, multi-cloud and OT environments. "Driven by government outlays (with oil, gas and defence industries leading the charge), Middle East organisations are looking for trusted security advisors who can navigate digital transformations and reduce risks - espec
Dermatological Symposium Tackles the Effects of Pollution on Skin17.5.2018 16:03 | Pressemelding
Researchers Present Compelling Evidence Showing the Effects of Pollution on Skin Health at Symposium Sponsored by Mary Kay Inc. DALLAS, May 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mary Kay Inc. announced four keynote speakers for its symposium to be held during the prestigious International Investigative Dermatology (IID) Meeting on May 16 to 19, 2018 in Orlando, Florida. The IID meeting occurs once every 5 years, and brings together scientists from across the globe, highlighting the latest in cutting edge science in dermatology. The Mary Kay sponsored Symposium features four global experts including Dr. Liang Liu, Assistant Professor of Dermatology, Columbia University; Dr. Max Costa, Professor and Chairman of the department of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine; Dr. Jean Krutmann, Chair of Environmental Medicine at the Medical Faculty of Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf and Director of the Leibniz Research Institute of Environmental Medicine in Dusseldorf, German
Talend Opens Nomination Period for Data Masters Awards17.5.2018 14:21 | Pressemelding
Annual Program Showcases Customers' Innovative Use of Cloud Technologies for Digital Transformation REDWOOD CITY, Calif., May 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Talend (NASDAQ: TLND), a global leader in cloud and big data integration solutions, officially opened the submission period for its fourth annual Data Masters Awards. This program celebrates companies using Talend solutions in innovative, forward-thinking ways to put more data to work and enable more informed and impactful business decisions. Organizations interested in nominating a project can complete an official entry form here. Finalists will be chosen from Talend's more than 1,500 global customers representing large enterprises and private firms across all major industries including banking and insurance, consumer goods, healthcare, manufacturing and retail. Past award recipients include some of the world's best-known brands including: AIG, Air France/KLM, Beachbody, Citi, Credit Agricole Consumer Finance, GE Healthcare, HERMES
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom