Global Cloud Index Projects Cloud Traffic to Represent 95 Percent of Total Data Center Traffic by 2021
Cloud Service Adoption Creates New Data Center Demands
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, Cisco released the seventh annual Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021). The updated report focuses on data center virtualization and cloud computing, which have become fundamental elements in transforming how many business and consumer network services are delivered.
According to the study, both consumer and business applications are contributing to the growing dominance of cloud services over the Internet. For consumers, streaming video, social networking, and Internet search are among the most popular cloud applications. For business users, enterprise resource planning (ERP), collaboration, analytics, and other digital enterprise applications represent leading growth areas.
Strong Multicloud Traffic Growth Projected
Driven by surging cloud applications, data center traffic is growing fast. The study forecasts global cloud data center traffic to reach 19.5 zettabytes (ZB) per year by 2021, up from 6.0 ZB per year in 2016 (3.3-fold growth or a 27 percent compound annual growth rate [CAGR] from 2016 to 2021). Globally, cloud data center traffic will represent 95 percent of total data center traffic by 2021, compared to 88 percent in 2016.
Improved Security and IoT Fuel Cloud Growth
In the past, security concerns have been a major barrier to cloud adoption. Improvements in data center governance and data control have helped to minimize enterprise risk and better protect consumer information. Security innovations coupled with tangible cloud computing benefits, including scalability and economies of scale, play key roles in fueling the cloud growth projected in the study. Additionally, the growth of Internet of Things (IoT) applications such as smart cars, smart cities, connected health and digital utilities requires scalable computing and storage solutions to accommodate new and expanding data center demands. By 2021, Cisco expects IoT connections to reach 13.7 billion, up from 5.8 billion in 2016.
Hyperscale Data Centers Doubling
The increasing need for data center and cloud resources has led to the development of large-scale public cloud data centers called hyperscale data centers. In this year's forecast, it is expected that by 2021 there will be 628 hyperscale data centers globally, compared to 338 in 2016, 1.9-fold growth or near doubling over the forecast period. By 2021, hyperscale data centers will support:
- 53 percent of all data center servers (27 percent in 2016)
- 69 percent of all data center processing power (41 percent in 2016)
- 65 percent of all data stored in data centers (51 percent in 2016)
- 55 percent of all data center traffic (39 percent in 2016)
"Data center application growth is clearly exploding in this new multicloud world. This projected growth will require new innovations especially in the areas of public, private and hybrid clouds," said Kip Compton, Vice President of Cisco's Cloud Platform and Solutions Group.
Global Cloud Index Highlights and Key Projections:
1. Data center virtualization and cloud computing growth
- By 2021, 94 percent of workloads and compute instances will be processed by cloud data centers; 6 percent will be processed by traditional data centers.
- Overall data center workloads and compute instances will more than double (2.3-fold) from 2016 to 2021; however, cloud workloads and compute instances will nearly triple (2.7-fold) over the same period.
- The workload and compute instance density for cloud data centers was 8.8 in 2016 and will grow to 13.2 by 2021. Comparatively, for traditional data centers, workload and compute instance density was 2.4 in 2016 and will grow to 3.8 by 2021.
2. Growth in stored data fueled by big data and IoT
- Globally, the data stored in data centers will nearly quintuple by 2021 to reach 1.3 ZB by 2021, up 4.6-fold (a CAGR of 36%) from 286 EB in 2016.
- Big data will reach 403 exabytes (EB) by 2021, up almost 8-fold from 25 EB in 2016. Big data will represent 30 percent of data stored in data centers by 2021, up from 18 percent in 2016.
- The amount of data stored on devices will be 4.5 times higher than data stored in data centers, at 5.9 ZB by 2021.
- Driven largely by IoT, the total amount of data created (and not necessarily stored) by any device will reach 847 ZB per year by 2021, up from 218 ZB per year in 2016. Data created is two orders of magnitude higher than data stored.
3. Applications contribute to rise of global data center traffic
- By 2021, big data will account for 20 percent (2.5 ZB annual, 209 EB monthly) of traffic within data centers, compared to 12 percent (593 EB annual, 49 EB monthly) in 2016.
- By 2021, video streaming will account for 10 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 9 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, video will account for 85 percent of traffic from data centers to end users, compared to 78 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, search will account for 20 percent of traffic within data centers by 2021, compared to 28 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, social networking will account for 22 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 20 percent in 2016.
4. SaaS most popular cloud service model through 2021
- By 2021, 75 percent (402 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be SaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 71 percent (141 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 16 percent (85 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be IaaS workloads and compute instances, down from 21 percent (42 million) in 2016. (15% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 9 percent (46 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be PaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 8% (16 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
For the purposes of the study, cloud computing includes platforms that enable ubiquitous, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. Deployment models include private, public, and hybrid clouds. Cloud data centers can be operated by service providers as well as private enterprises.
The Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021) was developed to estimate global data center and cloud-based traffic growth and trends. The report serves as a complementary resource to existing Internet Protocol (IP) network traffic studies such as the Cisco Visual Networking Index(TM), providing new insights and visibility into emerging trends affecting data centers and cloud architectures. The forecast becomes increasingly important as the network and data center become more intrinsically linked in offering cloud services.
View our infographic: Growth in the Cloud.
Visit the Cisco Global Cloud Index webpage.
Read the Cisco Global Cloud Index, Forecast and Methodology, 2016-2021 White Paper.
Explore the Cisco Global Cloud Index Highlights Tool.
- Review the Cisco Global Cloud Index Supplement and Cloud Readiness Tool.
- Get your questions answered through the Cisco Global Cloud Index Q&A.
- Follow us on Twitter: @CiscoSP360 and through the hashtag #CiscoGCI
- Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Cisco welcomes analysts, bloggers, media, regulators, service providers and other interested parties to use Cisco's research with proper attribution: "Source: Cisco Global Cloud Index."
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products, and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Industry Analyst Contact:
Investor Relations Contact:
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Cisco via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Bermuda Principles event merges science and business20.2.2018 16:36 | Pressemelding
HAMILTON, Bermuda, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Scientists and researchers from around the world are gathering in Bermuda this week for the second edition of a conference exploring the field of genetic research. Premier the Hon David Burt will officially open "Bermuda Principles: Impact on Splicing" Wednesday evening at the Fairmont Southampton. The conference, which runs through Saturday, has registered 50 delegates, along with an impressive roster of 36 speakers and panellists from 11 countries, including Australia, Denmark, Switzerland and South Africa. Among the attendees are prominent geneticists, scientists, professors, researchers, PhD students working in international labs, biotech representatives and investors. "I am elated to see the growth of the conference since last year's event," said Bermudian Dr. Carika Weldon, a biomedical researcher with her own lab at De Montfort University, UK, who conceived of the event and launched it last February. "My main aim has been to p
Globecomm Joins Amazon Web Services Partner Network20.2.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
Highlights Globecomm establishes direct access to Amazon Web Services (AWS) Direct Connect at key datacenter locations. Customers in U.S. Government, media and entertainment, enterprise video and the Internet of Things (IoT) can interoperate cloud-based services with Globecomm's global satellite and fiber network to reduce capital expenditure and ramp up networks and services faster. Globecomm's suite of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications run on AWS, accessible across both AWS and Globecomm's global network. Globecomm's team in place to design, develop and deliver cloud-centric as well as hybrid architectures for end-to-end services and customer solutions. HAUPPAUGE, N.Y., Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Globecomm announced today that it has joined the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partner Network (APN) as a Standard Technology Partner. This agreement will enable Globecomm to seamlessly interoperate its global satellite and fiber network with AWS's storage, compute and cloud conte
Elite Capital & Co. awarded Infrastructure Project Finance Provider 2018 by New European Economy20.2.2018 15:41 | Pressemelding
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Information Department at Elite Capital & Co. Limited (ECC), announced today that the company features in the specialized and prestigious New European Economy Magazine in its January 2018 issue in Britain and the European Union countries as the "Infrastructure Project Finance Provider 2018". The award is the result of focused efforts and synergy between the ECC Board of Directors and our employees and strategic partners all over the world over the past years. It also reflects the ability of the Company's strategy to adapt to the prevailing global economic circumstances and testifies to the viability of the planning process adopted by the Board of Directors. Dr. Faisal Khazaal, Chairman of Elite Capital & Co. commented on the occasion, "I should thank Mr. George Matharu, President of ECC and his Board Members who make ceaseless efforts towards ensuring that ECC continues to occupy a prestigious position in the field of finance and economy in
New MindManager 11 for Mac: Visually Capture, Organize, and Share Information to Drive Project and Business Success20.2.2018 15:26 | Pressemelding
Powerful mind mapping and information visualization software introduces its most robust Mac version yet; complete with new diagram types, an expanded template library, advanced mapping capabilities, and improved sharing options OTTAWA, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Introduced today, MindManager® 11 for Mac brings new elegance and efficiency to the way individuals and teams organize ideas, tackle tasks, and achieve their goals. Already a leader in mind mapping and information visualization on the Mac, MindManager's new release offers advanced mapping capabilities, new diagram types and templates, and easy ways to share and publish your work - all delivered within a redesigned interface optimized to enhance productivity. Individuals, small businesses, and global organizations rely upon MindManager to efficiently brainstorm and organize ideas, communicate knowledge effectively, and execute project success. MindManager enables users to turn unstructured ideas and information into dynam
Ovum Survey Finds NetSfere Among The Top 3 Most Widely Deployed Secure Enterprise Messaging Services20.2.2018 15:00 | Pressemelding
NetSfere is the third most used enterprise platform, clearly outpacing legacy enterprise communication vendors CHICAGO, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- A report by Ovum, a market-leading research and consulting firm, commissioned by Infinite Convergence Solutions, a global leader in messaging and mobility solutions, finds that within just a few short years of launching, NetSfere is ranked as the third most used enterprise messaging service behind Skype Business and Cisco's Spark. In addition to the need for a secure messaging service, the report shows enterprise demand for communication services that enable collaboration beyond messaging. NetSfere's combined HD voice, video and text capabilities - all preferred means of communication in one encrypted platform - validates its ranking among the top services for enterprises. "With messaging services advancing into all-in-one communications platforms, there's a greater propensity for widespread business use - but also major security risk
Inspiration to Seek Shareholder Approval for Forward Split of its Common Shares20.2.2018 15:00 | Pressemelding
TORONTO, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Inspiration Mining Corporation ("Inspiration" or the "Corporation") (CSE:ISM) would like to announce that, further to its press release dated January 18, 2018, it will be seeking shareholder approval for a special resolution authorizing the directors to effect a forward split of the Corporation's common shares on a one (1) for two (2) basis. As stated in the Corporation's press release of January 18, 2018, Inspiration has scheduled its annual and special meeting of shareholders for May 3, 2018. For further information, please contact Randy Miller, Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation, at tel: 416-842-9000, www.inspirationmining.com The CSE has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release. This press release contains forward-looking statements based on assumptions, uncertainties and management's best estimates of future events. Actual results may differ materially from those currently antici
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom