From ‘Mobile Only’ Internet to Content Strategies: New GSMA Study Identifies the ‘Megatrends’ Shaping Mobile Industry
GSMA Intelligence published its third annual ‘Global Mobile Trends’ report today, providing a wealth of data and insight on the direction of the global communications industry over the coming years. This flagship research offering outlines the key ‘megatrends’ that will shape the industry in the period out to 2025. This new edition features in-depth analysis on the latest mobile internet trends; the evolution of mobile network technology into the 5G era; Internet of Things (IoT) revenue opportunities; and the rapidly changing market for the delivery of media and content. It also provides an overview of the current mobile industry financial situation and includes the latest data points for every region worldwide.
“The latest edition of Global Mobile Trends provides a comprehensive deep dive into the key themes and issues shaping our industry today, and is required reading for anyone involved in the mobile ecosystem that wants to understand where we are headed next,” commented Peter Jarich, Head of GSMA Intelligence.
Key takeaways from the new report include:
- The next generation of internet users will be mobile only. By 2025, 3.7 billion people – 72 per cent of the global internet base – will be accessing the internet exclusively via mobile. Around half of new users coming online over this period will come from just five markets: China, India, Indonesia, Nigeria and Pakistan.
- 5G is here – in a few markets at least. 5G will account for about 15 per cent of global mobile connections by 2025, but will be driven by only a handful of markets: China, Japan, Korea and the US. Europe could be a 5G leader too, but only if spectrum availability and fragmentation issues are resolved.
- The 5G/IoT opportunity is shifting to the enterprise. 5G and IoT will open up new opportunities in a range of enterprise sectors, and an additional 10 billion industrial IoT connections will be made between now and 2025. This will also drive a shift to decentralised and edge computing, which will bring telcos and cloud players (particularly Amazon and Microsoft) into a mix of competition and partnership in servicing the vast range of enterprise sectors, overhauling operations with advanced connectivity and analytics.
- Connectivity will be commoditised in the IoT era. Providing connectivity will account for only around 5 per cent of the global IoT revenue opportunity by 2025 ($51 billion). The vast majority of growth will come from the applications, platforms and services layer, which will account for more than two-thirds of IoT revenue ($754 billion).
- Content is king – but expensive. Netflix spent $6.3 billion on original programming in 2017, not far behind Time Warner ($8 billion), Fox ($8 billion) and Disney ($7.8 billion). The company remains the largest driver behind the rise of streaming, which continues to eat into time on traditional TV. For most operators, this trend means that partnering or licencing content is a more realistic prospect than acquiring or creating content in an expensive marketplace.
- Volume growth is clearer than revenue growth. An additional 16 billion IoT connections (industrial and consumer) will be added by 2025, alongside ongoing 4G and 5G connections growth. However, until fresh revenue streams are unlocked in these new areas, the revenue outlook for operators is modest. Global mobile revenues topped $1 trillion in 2017, but revenue growth is likely to stay at around 1 per cent a year in the period out to 2025.
Global Mobile Trends is based on data from GSMA Intelligence, the research arm of the GSMA, and selected third-party sources.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Warm welcome for ABB Formula E in Davos19.1.2019 09:00 | Pressemelding
Just a few days before the start of the World Economic Forum 2019, Davos is celebrating a world premiere: The latest ABB FIA Formula E racing car - dubbed Gen2 – was transported on a train from the iconic Swiss Rhaetian Railway to Europe’s highest city, where it will be an exciting eyecatcher during the coming week at the Davos Platz railway station. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190119005003/en/ ABB FIA Formula E racing car in Davos (Photo: Business Wire) From this Saturday until next Sunday, January 27, the Gen2 will be on display in a special glass case. Interested passersby can learn about the ABB FIA Formula E racing series as well as about the activities of ABB in e-mobility via an information system. With over 8,500 fast charging stations installed in 70 countries around the world, ABB is the global market leader for charging infrastructures. To watch the video, click here ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is
PMI’s Mission Winnow Goes Full Throttle with Ducati Corse for 2019 MotoGP™18.1.2019 17:00 | Pressemelding
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) (NYSE: PM) is pleased to announce that its Mission Winnow initiative is expanding in 2019 to include the Ducati Corse racing team. Mission Winnow is a PMI-led campaign to raise global awareness of our passion and determination to constantly improve and evolve, as well as highlight the power of science, technology and innovation to build a better future. PMI has partnered with Ducati Corse since 2002 and has extended the relationship for another three years until the end of 2021. As of the start of this year’s MotoGP season, the team will be officially known as Mission Winnow Ducati. Mission Winnow was first launched in October 2018 with Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow, which – like Ducati Corse – has a passion for innovation and a relentless drive to improve in the team’s pursuit of victory. Ducati Corse is one of the most inspiring and resilient teams in MotoGP, with a 70-year history in racing. Ducati fans form a passionate community who appreci
IFF’s Frutarom Division Completes Acquisition of 60% of Thailand-based Mighty18.1.2019 12:50 | Pressemelding
Regulatory News: International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF) (Euronext Paris:IFF) (TASE:IFF), announced that its Frutarom Division has completed the acquisition of 60% of the share capital of The Mighty CO. LTD. (“Mighty”), a leading savory solutions provider in Thailand, thus continuing its growth strategy in Southeast Asia. Amos Anatot, President of IFF's Frutarom Division, said, “The completion of this deal with Mighty underscores that the Frutarom division will continue on its growth strategy and pursue attractive companies that create new opportunities or build on current capabilities.” Mr. Anatot continued, “And in this case, we are helping to grow our capabilities in savory solutions – already an area of strength for legacy Frutarom, now IFF." Mighty, founded in 1989, develops, produces and markets reaction flavors, with particular expertise in savory solutions. The company’s portfolio includes flavors, seasoning blends, marinades, and specialty functional raw materials f
LTI Q3 FY19: Constant currency revenue growth up 6.1% QoQ and 20.6% YoY; Net Profit jumps 32.8% YoY18.1.2019 12:02 | Pressemelding
Larsen & Toubro Infotech (BSE code: 540005, NSE: LTI), a global technology consulting and digital solutions company, announced its Q3 FY19 results today. In US Dollars: Revenue at USD 346.9 million; growth of 5.6% QoQ and 18.2% YoY Constant Currency Revenue growth of 6.1% QoQ and 20.6% YoY In Indian Rupees: Revenue at Rs 24,729 million; growth of 6.1% QoQ and 31.3% YoY Net Income at Rs 3,755 million; growth of (6.2%) QoQ and 32.8% YoY “We are pleased to deliver another strong quarter with 5.6% QoQ growth in USD revenues. Our broad-based revenue growth, superior margin delivery and steady cash generation in Q3 is a testimony of our focused execution and client centricity. We are also thrilled to welcome Ruletronics to LTI family. Ruletronics enables businesses to transform and evolve digitally by providing innovative BPM and CRM solutions leveraging Pega Platform.” - Sanjay Jalona, Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, LTI Recent Deal Wins Nets, the leading payments company in th
Schlumberger Announces Full-Year and Fourth-Quarter 2018 Results18.1.2019 12:00 | Pressemelding
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for full-year 2018 and the fourth quarter of 2018. (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Full-Year Results Twelve Months Ended Change Dec. 31, 2018 Dec. 31, 2017 Year-on-year Revenue $32,815 $30,440 8% Pretax operating income $4,187 $3,921 7% Pretax operating margin 12.8% 12.9% -12 bps Net income (loss) - GAAP basis $2,138 $(1,505) n/m Net income, excluding charges & credits* $2,261 $2,085 8% Diluted EPS (loss per share) - GAAP basis $1.53 $(1.08) n/m Diluted EPS, excluding charges and credits* $1.62 $1.50 8% Full-Year Consolidated Revenue by Area North America $11,984 $9,487 26% Latin America 3,745 3,976 -6% Europe/CIS/Africa 7,158 7,072 1% Middle East & Asia 9,543 9,394 2% Other 385 511 n/m $32,815 $30,440 8% North America revenue $11,984 $9,487 26% International revenue $20,446 $20,442 - North America revenue, excluding Cameron $9,668 $7,518 29% International revenue, excluding Cameron $17,675 $17,423 1% *These are non
FLIR Systems Awarded $89 Million Contract from French Armed Forces to Deliver Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System18.1.2019 11:00 | Pressemelding
FLIR Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: FLIR) announced today it has been awarded a contract from the French Defense Procurement Agency (DGA) in support of the French Operational Pocket Drone (DrOP) program. The contract has a ceiling value of $89 million to provide the FLIR Black Hornet® 3 nano-unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and Personal Reconnaissance System (PRS) to support French Armed Forces operations. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190118005085/en/ The French Armed Forces awarded FLIR Systems a contract to deliver the Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System for military operations. (Photo: Business Wire) The Black Hornet PRS is the world’s smallest combat-proven nano-Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) and is currently deployed in more than 30 countries. The Black Hornet enables the warfighter to maintain situational awareness, threat detection, and surveillance no matter where the mission takes them. Equipped with el