From ‘Mobile Only’ Internet to Content Strategies: New GSMA Study Identifies the ‘Megatrends’ Shaping Mobile Industry
GSMA Intelligence published its third annual ‘Global Mobile Trends’ report today, providing a wealth of data and insight on the direction of the global communications industry over the coming years. This flagship research offering outlines the key ‘megatrends’ that will shape the industry in the period out to 2025. This new edition features in-depth analysis on the latest mobile internet trends; the evolution of mobile network technology into the 5G era; Internet of Things (IoT) revenue opportunities; and the rapidly changing market for the delivery of media and content. It also provides an overview of the current mobile industry financial situation and includes the latest data points for every region worldwide.
“The latest edition of Global Mobile Trends provides a comprehensive deep dive into the key themes and issues shaping our industry today, and is required reading for anyone involved in the mobile ecosystem that wants to understand where we are headed next,” commented Peter Jarich, Head of GSMA Intelligence.
Key takeaways from the new report include:
- The next generation of internet users will be mobile only. By 2025, 3.7 billion people – 72 per cent of the global internet base – will be accessing the internet exclusively via mobile. Around half of new users coming online over this period will come from just five markets: China, India, Indonesia, Nigeria and Pakistan.
- 5G is here – in a few markets at least. 5G will account for about 15 per cent of global mobile connections by 2025, but will be driven by only a handful of markets: China, Japan, Korea and the US. Europe could be a 5G leader too, but only if spectrum availability and fragmentation issues are resolved.
- The 5G/IoT opportunity is shifting to the enterprise. 5G and IoT will open up new opportunities in a range of enterprise sectors, and an additional 10 billion industrial IoT connections will be made between now and 2025. This will also drive a shift to decentralised and edge computing, which will bring telcos and cloud players (particularly Amazon and Microsoft) into a mix of competition and partnership in servicing the vast range of enterprise sectors, overhauling operations with advanced connectivity and analytics.
- Connectivity will be commoditised in the IoT era. Providing connectivity will account for only around 5 per cent of the global IoT revenue opportunity by 2025 ($51 billion). The vast majority of growth will come from the applications, platforms and services layer, which will account for more than two-thirds of IoT revenue ($754 billion).
- Content is king – but expensive. Netflix spent $6.3 billion on original programming in 2017, not far behind Time Warner ($8 billion), Fox ($8 billion) and Disney ($7.8 billion). The company remains the largest driver behind the rise of streaming, which continues to eat into time on traditional TV. For most operators, this trend means that partnering or licencing content is a more realistic prospect than acquiring or creating content in an expensive marketplace.
- Volume growth is clearer than revenue growth. An additional 16 billion IoT connections (industrial and consumer) will be added by 2025, alongside ongoing 4G and 5G connections growth. However, until fresh revenue streams are unlocked in these new areas, the revenue outlook for operators is modest. Global mobile revenues topped $1 trillion in 2017, but revenue growth is likely to stay at around 1 per cent a year in the period out to 2025.
Global Mobile Trends is based on data from GSMA Intelligence, the research arm of the GSMA, and selected third-party sources.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting more than 750 operators with over 350 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Pierre Fabre Receives EU Approval for BRAFTOVI® (encorafenib) + MEKTOVI® (binimetinib) in Adult Patients with Advanced BRAF-Mutant Melanoma20.9.2018 17:21 | Pressemelding
Pierre Fabre today announced that the European Commission (EC) has granted marketing authorisation for the combination of BRAFTOVI® (encorafenib) and MEKTOVI® (binimetinib) for the treatment of adult patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma with a BRAF V600 mutation, as detected by a validated test.1,2 The EC decision is applicable to all 28 European Union (EU) member states plus Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway. "We are extremely pleased that European patients with advanced BRAF-mutant melanoma will now have the combination of BRAFTOVI and MEKTOVI as a new treatment option”, said Frédéric Duchesne, President & CEO of the Pierre Fabre Pharmaceuticals Division. “All of us at Pierre Fabre are driven to make a real difference for patients. Bringing more than 30 years of oncology experience and our heritage in dermatology to our partnership with Array BioPharma, we have been able to harness our expertise in order to help men and women living with this devastating disease. Today’s
Clothesource Report Shows Retail Sales Aren’t Falling or Moving Online: Management’s Let Itself Get Misguided20.9.2018 17:19 | Pressemelding
According to a new Clothesource report, “The Emperors’ Clothes” retail sales aren’t falling, and they’re not leaving physical stores. Both the UK’s Office of National Statistics and the US Bureau of the Census report higher retail sales than ever – with sales in physical stores still growing every year. Retailers just need to rely on their own customer understanding, recapture their self-confidence, and rediscover their traditional frugality. Among recent front-page stories have been Sears in the US hinting it’s about to go under and profits at Britain’s John Lewis falling 99%. But the well run clothing retailers are prospering. Primark goes from strength to strength: the biggest clothing specialists on either side of the Atlantic (Inditex and TJX) have just upped their sales and profit forecasts. So it’s not about consumer purchasing: The main problem lies with management, says Clothesource CEO Mike Flanagan in a new report “The Emperors’ Clothes”. They’ve lost touch with their custom
BCW Names Latin America Market Leaders20.9.2018 16:23 | Pressemelding
BCW (Burson Cohn & Wolfe), a leading global communications agency, today announced the appointment of market leaders in Latin America who will be responsible for business growth, client satisfaction and talent development. All market leaders report to Francisco Carvalho, President, Latin America, BCW. “BCW has a dominant presence in Latin America, thanks to Burson-Marsteller’s 40-year-history and expansive footprint across the region and Cohn & Wolfe’s strength in Brazil and Mexico,” said Carvalho. “This team has unmatched market knowledge, strong client relationships and deep commitment to talent, all of which is critical for our continued success in the region. Those strengths, together with our industry-leading expertise in delivering digitally driven integrated communications programs, make BCW a powerful partner for our clients.” All of BCW’s Latin America market leaders have been drawn from the legacy Burson-Marsteller organization and had been leading their respective markets, e
NavVis Achieves Breakthough 6D SLAM Indoor LiDAR Mapping With Velodyne’s 3D LiDAR Sensor20.9.2018 14:43 | Pressemelding
On April 18th, 2018, NavVis released their M6, a fully-integrated, cart-based system designed for large-scale indoor mapping. The M6 utilizes VLP-16 sensors by Velodyne LiDAR, Inc., which allows it to produce a 3D map of the surrounding environment. Six cameras capture 360° immersive imagery and photorealistic point-clouds, resulting in high-resolution mapped images. NavVis developed this product in response to their customers’ request for a more versatile and sophisticated system which could be used effectively with uneven terrain. In addition to AEC professionals, construction companies and manufacturers can also draw benefits from the higher data quality provided by this enhanced innovation. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180920005560/en/ NavVis M6 is a fully-integrated, cart-based system designed for large-scale indoor mapping. (Photo: Business Wire) The M6 was developed by NavVis after customers requeste
Steve Bannon’s New Documentary Film Trump @War Launches Free Online Access20.9.2018 14:34 | Pressemelding
Trump @War in conjunction with its online distribution partner, The Western Journal, is pleased to announce that the full length HD feature film Trump @War is free and available to viewers worldwide at Trumpmovienow.com. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180920005553/en/ Watch free full-length feature film: trumpmovienow.com (Photo: Business Wire) “The Western Journal does great work and we are happy they are partnering with us,” stated Stephen K. Bannon. “It’s a film that every American, regardless of political belief, should watch. It’s a historic time for our country, and no one should be sitting on the sidelines during the upcoming elections.” Directed by Bannon and produced by Dan Fleuette, Trump @War is a retelling of the most significant election campaign in modern U.S. history and a look forward to the high-stakes midterm election in November 2018, which will cement President Trump’s legacy. “Steve Banno
GTIS Partners Grabs Top Spots in Prestigious GRESB Sustainability Ranking20.9.2018 14:24 | Pressemelding
GTIS Partners LP (“GTIS”), a real assets investment firm headquartered in New York City, with offices in São Paulo, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Atlanta, Paris and Munich, today announced that the GTIS Brazil Real Estate Fund (“GTIS Brazil Real Estate Fund I”) has been recognized as 2018’s most sustainable private equity real estate investment fund in South America by the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB). This is the fourth year running the fund has clinched the top ranking. GTIS Brazil Real Estate Funds II and III took second- and third-place honors, respectively, matching the funds’ 2017 survey rankings. “Our across-the-board top-place rankings are a testament to the day-in, day-out efforts of the entire GTIS Brazil team, who’ve incorporated environmental, social and governance principles into their investment and management practices,” said Josh Pristaw, Senior Managing Director, Head of Capital Markets and Co-head of Brazil at GTIS Partners. “What we’re most proud