Desktop Metal Now Shipping the World’s First Office-Friendly Metal 3D Printing System to Companies Throughout Europe
Desktop Metal, the company committed to making metal 3D printing accessible to manufacturers and engineers, today announced it has begun shipping its Studio System™ to customers and resellers throughout Europe. The world’s first office-friendly metal 3D printing system for functional prototyping and low volume production, has met with strong adoption in North America among leading companies, including Ford, Stanley Black and Decker, Google’s ATAP, Goodyear, Owens Corning, and John Zink Hamworthy Combustion. Building on that momentum, the Studio System is now CE certified for international compatibility and being installed at customers throughout Europe, including France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190620005055/en/
Desktop Metal is now shipping the Studio System, the world’s first office-friendly metal 3D printing system, to companies throughout Europe. (Photo: Business Wire)
“When Desktop Metal first launched, we set forth a mission to fundamentally change how the world designs and produces metal additively manufactured parts, from functional prototyping to mass manufacturing,” said Ric Fulop, CEO and co-founder of Desktop Metal. “We have been delivering on that vision throughout the U.S. and Canada, and are now ready to step onto the global stage to further accelerate our business expansion and answer the impressive demand of the European market.”
In anticipation of the international expansion, Desktop Metal has been working for more than a year with a select group of strategic customers as early stage evaluators of its technologies. These strategic partners have been a source of key user feedback on benchmark parts, materials, training and system usage. International customers of the Studio System span multiple industries, including automotive, education and defense, as well as service providers of luxury brands and consumer products. Leading companies, including BMW Group in Germany; Politecnico Di Milano, one of the largest technical universities in Europe and Additive Italia srl (Add+It) in Italy; EGIBIDE and Centro Avanzado de Fabricación (IMH) in Spain; Edalis, Soprofame and MSA in France; Weir Group and the city of Sheffield in the UK; Jade Groupe of Portugal, which specializes in metal parts production for the luxury fashion world; and BAZIGOS of Greece, a manufacturing firm specializing in high precision components, are among the first customers to benefit from the ease of use and accessibility provided by the Studio System.
Studio System for Metal Prototyping and Low Volume Production
The Studio System is designed to make metal 3D printing more accessible, enabling design and engineering teams to print metal parts faster, without the need for special facilities, dedicated operators, or expensive tooling. The three-part solution, including printer, debinder and furnace, automates metal 3D printing by tightly integrating through Desktop Metal’s cloud-based software to deliver a seamless workflow for printing complex metal parts in-house—from digital file to sintered part.
To date, Studio Systems worldwide have fabricated more than 10,000 parts, with applications ranging from functional prototyping of extruder nozzles and shock absorber pistons; to jigs & fixtures, including robotic end effectors and smartphone fixtures; to manufacturing tooling of zipper molds inserts and extrusion dies; and low volume production of gears and motor mounts. Each of these benchmark parts has shown drastic cost reduction – some by as much as 90 percent relative to machining and selective laser melting (SLM) – as well as speed in fabrication, producing parts in days instead of weeks or months.
Early Customer Applications and Highlights
Customer feedback on benefits companies can now achieve include:
- Built to Scale: The Studio System offers a 10 times larger sintering volume than competitive systems, which enables cost-effective, low-volume production of metal parts. One Studio furnace supports up to five printers, allowing for batch processing for high throughput.
- Superior Parts: Mechanical properties, material properties, surface quality, feature fidelity, geometry, size, dimensional accuracy – the Studio System considers each of these critical factors with expertly engineered features to ensure great parts.
- Safe for the Office: A key differentiator of the Studio System is that it prevents exposure of solvents to users and does not require external ventilation. The system is designed for use in a range of environments — office, lab, shop — making it easy for any engineer to make metal parts in-house.
- “Edalis, a unique kind of industrial concierge, is a major player of 3D printing services in France, from project study to production,” said Nicolas Blanchard, Managing Director at Edalis. “Our design office and workshops allow us to deliver final end-use parts. Our choice to invest in the Desktop Metal Studio System is based on our willingness to continue innovating for our customers, complement our quality equipment installed base and be very agile thanks to the easiness and flexibility of this tool.”
- Soprofame is a machining, precision engineering and additive manufacturing expert, for plastic and metal. “We decided to invest in the Desktop Metal Studio System in order to provide our customers a complementary solution to our machining expertise,” said Jean-Baptiste Frenel, Director at Soprofame. “This innovative technology will allow us to answer our customer needs with more effectivity and reactivity, bringing a real value added to our know-how and a differentiating offer in an ever-changing market.”
- Founded in 1985, MSA is a recognized expert of boilerwork, welding and public lighting. “MSA chose to invest in Additive Manufacturing technologies to diversify these offerings and better answer customer solutions,” said Martial Champion, CEO of MSA. “The Studio System will allow us to produce in-house metal parts with a variety of complexities, with more speed and flexibility. Among other AM solutions, the Studio System was the easiest to implement and safer for our operators.”
- “As a leading molds manufacturing company servicing the largest Greek and multinational customers worldwide that rely on high precision parts, the adoption of the Studio System is a dynamic complement to our expanding plastic and metallic parts production center,” said Mr. Manos Bazigos – Managing Director, N. Bazigos SA. “In addition to rapid metal prototyping for customer products that range from domestic appliances, refrigerators, electric cookers, to lighting and locks, we also see tremendous opportunity for creating molds, jigs and fixtures as well as opening up the avenue of low volume replacement parts for our customers.”
- Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI) is among the largest and leading technical universities in Europe. In the specific area of Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering, POLIMI is ranked 1st in Italy, 3rd in Europe and 7th worldwide. “The Studio System completes the range of metal Additive Manufacturing solutions in our state-of-the-art AddMe lab,” said Bianca Maria Colosimo, Ph.D. Professor, Deputy Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering for Research. “With the Studio System, we will be carrying out several types of research to explore novel solutions for additive manufacturing, including process modeling and optimization, benchmarking with other existing or newly-developed processes, in-situ monitoring and more.”
- Additive Italia is a company specialized in simulation driven engineering and generative design focused on Additive Manufacturing for metals. “Add-it offers a unique complete consultancy for the analysis, development, prototyping and industrialization of metal components, based on Additive Manufacturing,” said Marco Preziosa, CEO. “We selected Desktop Metal technology as we see in this indirect metal 3D printing process the future of manufacturing, bringing speed, flexibility, cost-effectiveness and wide potential of materials choice. Also, Desktop Metal’s huge competencies on the software side will be a key asset to expand Add-it digital solutions.”
- The Machine Tool Institute (IMH) is an Advanced Manufacturing Center that offers specialized training in Advanced Manufacturing (AM) and Technological / Organizational Innovation services for companies. "At IMH, we are constantly seeking new advanced manufacturing technologies to foster increased innovation among our students and business professionals in the Basque country," said Xabier Cearsolo, AM Department Manager, Centro Avanzado De Fabricacion - IMH. "The Desktop Metal Studio System should quickly become a key educational and training tool for those in the IMH community who are looking to expand their metal 3D printing knowledge and remain ahead of the curve."
- EGIBIDE is a recognized school and training center with 75 years of experience. “Our goal at EGIBIDE is to connect our students with the most advanced tools and know-how of the society of the 21 st century,” said Jon Uriarte, Educator. “We chose to invest in the Desktop Metal Studio System to be at the forefront of metal AM technology. Also, the cost per part and easiness to install and operate – no laser, no powder – will allow improved technology transfer to our region’s companies.”
In addition to shipments now underway in USA, Canada and Europe, the Studio System is available to reserve in 48 countries, including Asia Pacific, EMEA, and Mexico. To provide superior customer service, the company has a growing global network of 85 sales partners and resellers, all experienced in manufacturing equipment distribution. European customers submitting new orders can expect to receive their systems within eight weeks or sooner. Availability of the Studio System will vary by country and interested buyers should visit www.desktopmetal.com/international for more information.
About Desktop Metal
Desktop Metal, Inc., based in Burlington, Massachusetts, is accelerating the transformation of manufacturing with end-to-end metal 3D printing solutions. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make metal 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Since its inception, the company has raised $438 million in financing with a portfolio of strategic partners and investors including Ford Motor Company, GV (formerly Google Ventures), GE Ventures, BMW iVentures, Koch Disruptive Technologies, Lowe’s, New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and more. Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by the World Economic Forum and named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies. For more information, visit www.desktopmetal.com.
Head of Communications
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Quanergy and Chery Established Partnership to Propel a New Era of Autonomous Vehicles and Smart Cities18.7.2019 19:00:00 CEST | Press release
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a leading provider of LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) sensors and smart sensing solutions, announced a partnership with Chery Automobile, one of the largest automotive manufacturers in China. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190718005616/en/ Quanergy and Chery Established Partnership to Propel a New Era of Autonomous Vehicles and Smart Cities (Graphic: Business Wire) On June 20th, 2019, Chery unveiled the logo of its new brand Chery Lion, and announced its strategic plan of working with selected partners to solve technological challenges across the ecosystem. Quanergy signed on to Chery Lion’s Smart Partner Program as the LiDAR partner, to focus efforts on advancing autonomous driving and smart cities in China. “As the autonomous vehicle industry matures, it is imperative to build an ecosystem that supports a transportation network with reliable solutions.” said Dr. Yong Huang, Vice
LTI USD Revenue Growth up 11.5% YoY; Digital Revenues at 39%18.7.2019 16:08:00 CEST | Press release
Larsen & Toubro Infotech (BSE: 540005, NSE: LTI), a global technology consulting and digital solutions company, announced its Q1 FY20 results today. Q1 FY20 In US Dollars: Revenue at USD 356.5 million; growth of 0.8% QoQ and 11.5% YoY Constant Currency Revenue growth of 1.0% QoQ and 12.9% YoY In Indian Rupees: Revenue at Rs 24,849 million; growth was flat QoQ and 15.3% YoY Net Income at Rs 3,557 million; growth of (6.1%) QoQ and (1.5%) YoY “We delivered 12.9% YoY revenue growth in constant currency driven by Digital Services that now make up 39% of our revenues. We also won a large deal by opening a new client logo in Insurance vertical with net-new TCV of US$44m. We are also pleased to welcome Lymbyc to LTI family. Lymbyc is a specialist AI, machine learning, and advanced analytics company. The acquisition further strengthens LTI’s Mosaic platform and our fast-growing digital and analytics offerings.” - Sanjay Jalona, Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, LTI Recent Deal Wins A
Moody’s Analytics Wins Wholesale Modelling Software of the Year at Risk Technology Awards18.7.2019 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Moody’s Analytics, a global provider of financial intelligence, has won Wholesale Modelling Software of the Year in the 2019 Risk Technology Awards. It’s one of six categories won, spanning finance, accounting, regulatory, and credit functions. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190718005512/en/ A suite of integrated Moody’s Analytics offerings contributed to this win, including the CreditEdge™ solution, which delivers a leading probability of default model and advanced analytics for managing the daily credit risk of more than 60,000 public firms and sovereigns. Our RiskCalc™ credit scoring platform helps clients assess the credit risk of private firms, commercial banks, project finance projects, and insurance companies. The CMM™ solution combines property performance forecasts with commercial mortgage fundamentals to assess default and recovery risk for commercial real estate properties. The new CAP™ platform ex
Fabasoft is a “Strong Performer” for Cloud Content Platforms, Q3 201918.7.2019 14:39:00 CEST | Press release
Fabasoft, a leading European provider of cloud solutions, was invited by Forrester to be part of the independent evaluation “The Forrester New Wave™: Cloud Content Platforms – Multitenant SaaS, Q3 2019.”* Upon conclusion of the evaluation, Fabasoft was positioned in the “Strong Performers” group. The research and consulting firm Forrester Research Inc. has evaluated 13 top cloud content platforms based on 10 transparent criteria relating to current offering, strategy, and market presence. The report is based on an analysis of data from product presentations, a survey, and customer interviews. “We are proud that with Fabasoft Cloud, we have been positioned in the New Wave as a strong performer by a leading international analyst firm,” says Andreas Dangl, Business Unit Executive Cloud Services at Fabasoft. “We are especially pleased that Fabasoft is the only European cloud provider in this field. This makes it clear to us that Fabasoft Cloud is the best digitalization platform for large-
Gilead to Present New Data on HIV Prevention, Treatment and Cure Research at IAS 201918.7.2019 12:30:00 CEST | Press release
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) today announced that new data from the company’s HIV research and development programs will be presented at the 10th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) being held in Mexico City from July 21-24. Fifteen abstracts, along with community-focused symposia and workshops, reflect Gilead’s ongoing commitment to scientific innovation, a key pillar to addressing unmet and evolving medical needs in HIV. “Gilead’s scientific discovery has helped transform both HIV treatment and prevention and we are committed to advancing the next generation of therapies to improve the care of people and communities impacted by this disease,” said John McHutchison, AO, MD, Chief Scientific Officer, Head of Research & Development, Gilead Sciences. “Our data at this year’s meeting include exciting progress in our HIV prevention, treatment and cure programs, which together are helping to advance the field of HIV toward the ultimate goal of ending the
SAMWHA ELECTRIC, a Manufacturer of Electrolytic Capacitor, Strengthens Global Business to Become the Digital Best Company18.7.2019 12:00:00 CEST | Press release
SAMWHA ELECTRIC (KRX:009470), a manufacturer specialized in electrolytic capacitors, is enhancing its global business by focusing on R&D and marketing to meet customers’ needs worldwide. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190718005034/en/ SAMWHA ELECTRIC (KRX:009470), a manufacturer specialized in electrolytic capacitors, is enhancing its global business by developing electrolytic capacitors and Green-Cap (EDLC) which are essential to various industries including information technology, 5G telecommunication, eco-friendly cars, medical devices, LED, robots, IoT, wind power, solar power and ESS. In particular, it launched conductive polymer hybrid electrolytic capacitors for automotive electronics and 5G communication devices as 150℃ products with high reliability are needed in both industries. Products and solutions by SAMWHA ELECTRIC (Graphic: Business Wire) In tandem with increasing needs of high-value eco-frien