Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Arch Insurance Announces Strategic Leadership Changes19.10.2018 13:10 | Pressemelding
Arch Insurance today announced that Matt Shulman will assume the newly created role of CEO, Arch Insurance North America, effective January 1, 2019. In this role, he will lead Arch Insurance’s operations in the United States and Canada. He will report to Nicolas Papadopoulo, Chairman and CEO of Arch Worldwide Insurance Group. Mr. Shulman, who has more than 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, has been with Arch Insurance since 2009 and has served as the President and CEO of Arch Insurance Europe since 2016. “Matt brings significant U.S. and international experience to this role. Under his leadership, together with our senior team, Arch Insurance will continue to enhance our value proposition to our customers through a robust, diversified product portfolio, creative solutions and excellent service,” Mr. Papadopoulo said. Arch Insurance has also created a new organizational structure with three Chief Underwriting Officers (CUO) dedicated to specific lines of business. These
Takeda to Present Results from Phase 3 ALTA-1L Trial Highlighting Intracranial Efficacy of ALUNBRIG® (brigatinib) Versus Crizotinib in First-Line Advanced ALK+ Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer19.10.2018 12:00 | Pressemelding
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE: 4502) today announced that intracranial efficacy data from the Phase 3 ALTA-1L (ALK in Lung Cancer Trial of BrigAtinib in 1 st Line) trial showed improved intracranial progression-free survival (PFS) and intracranial objective response rate (ORR) with ALUNBRIG (brigatinib) compared to crizotinib among anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive (ALK+) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. Data for these secondary endpoints will be presented in a poster discussion at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) 2018 Congress on Friday, October 19 at 2:00 p.m. CET in Munich, Germany. These results further support ALUNBRIG as a potential treatment for adults with ALK+ locally advanced or metastatic NSCLC who had not received a prior ALK inhibitor. ALUNBRIG is currently not approved as first-line therapy for advanced ALK+ NSCLC. “ALK+ NSCLC often spreads to the brain, so having options that can clearly demonstrate efficacy both in the brain an
Vertex Receives European CHMP Positive Opinion for KALYDECO® (ivacaftor) to Treat Patients With Cystic Fibrosis Aged 12 to <24 months With Certain Mutations in the CFTR Gene19.10.2018 11:54 | Pressemelding
Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Europe) Limited today announces that the European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) adopted a positive opinion for KALYDECO® (ivacaftor) to include the treatment of people with cystic fibrosis (CF) aged 12 to <24 months who have at least one of the following nine mutations in their cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene: G551D, G1244E, G1349D, G178R, G551S, S1251N, S1255P, S549N or S549R. If the European Commission issues a favorable adoption of the EMA CHMP opinion for the extension of indication, ivacaftor will be the first and only medicine approved in Europe to treat the underlying cause of CF in patients aged 12 to <24 months, who have specific mutations in the CFTR gene. “Cystic fibrosis is a chronic, progressive disease that is present at birth, with symptoms often occurring in infancy, so early treatment is crucial to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients,” said Reshma Kewalr
Schlumberger Announces Third-Quarter 2018 Results19.10.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for the third quarter of 2018. (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Three Months Ended Change Sept. 30, 2018 Jun. 30, 2018 Sept. 30, 2017 Sequential Year-on-year Revenue $8,504 $8,303 $7,905 2% 8% Pretax operating income $1,152 $1,094 $1,059 5% 9% Pretax operating margin 13.5% 13.2% 13.4% 36 bps 15 bps Net income - GAAP basis $644 $430 $545 50% 18% Net income, excluding charges & credits* $644 $594 $581 8% 11% Diluted EPS - GAAP basis $0.46 $0.31 $0.39 48% 18% Diluted EPS, excluding charges & credits* $0.46 $0.43 $0.42 7% 10% North America revenue $3,189 $3,139 $2,602 2% 23% International revenue $5,215 $5,065 $5,147 3% 1% North America revenue, excluding Cameron $2,572 $2,546 $2,086 1% 23% International revenue, excluding Cameron $4,559 $4,387 $4,430 4% 3% *These are non-GAAP financial measures. See section below entitled "Charges & Credits" for details. Schlumberger Chairman and CEO Paal Kibsgaard commented, “Our third
Tradeshift Announces Q3 2018 Results19.10.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Tradeshift, the leader in supply chain payments and marketplaces, today announced results from the third quarter of 2018, marking the tenth quarter in a row of successive growth and beating targets. Tradeshift’s third quarter growth stats announced today include: YoY revenue grew 400 percent (trailing 12 months) YoY new bookings grew 284 percent YoY gross merchandise volume (GMV) grew 262 percent New total contract value grew by $47M in Q3 Tradeshift’s customer roster continued strong growth this quarter adding 27 new customers, including Hertz, Shiseido, ECU, and Fortune 500 leaders in retail apparel, agriculture, engineering and construction, hospitality, travel and food delivery. Tradeshift also expanded its app ecosystem by adding a key partnership with Coface, a global credit insurer. Coface has announced a new app solution on the Tradeshift platform offering risk and business information services to help businesses make decisions by ensuring greater financial transparency between
Alibaba’s Robust Ecosystem Supercharges 2018 11.11 Global Shopping Festival19.10.2018 10:15 | Pressemelding
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA) today officially kicked off the 2018 11.11 Global Shopping Festival in China’s capital, promising this year’s mega-event will be the largest-ever in terms of scale and reach. Businesses within the Alibaba ecosystem will jointly offer hundreds of millions of consumers an enriching experience that supports their pursuit of high-quality products, entertainment and fast, reliable services. The Festival will also demonstrate the enthusiasm of consumers and brands embracing Alibaba’s New Retail strategy – the convergence of online and offline retail through technology. “This year marks the 10th anniversary of 11.11. On the back of China’s explosive digital transformation, the Festival’s astounding growth over the past decade has powered the steady growth of quality consumption sought by Chinese shoppers. The evolution also showcases the development of the Alibaba ecosystem over time expanding well beyond e-commerce,” said Alibaba Group CEO Daniel Zha