Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Cred Opens Its Platform to Developers and Businesses10.12.2018 20:21 | Pressemelding
Cred, the leading provider of crypto-backed lending with over $300 million in credit facilities, today announced the launch of CredX, Cred’s developer platform, enabling any company or developer to turn their products into powerful financial applications for their customers. Crypto exchanges, crypto wallets, miner service providers, even traditional financial institutions have the ability to access Crypto Lending as a Service (CLaaS™) and create a rich set of customer experiences for their customers. “Lending and Earning Crypto are hard businesses to get right, particularly in a bear market,” said Dan Schatt, Co-Founder of Cred and the Universal Protocol Alliance. “A crypto custodian, wallet, merchant or exchange business can now offer their customers compelling credit and treasury management features built directly into their own apps, powered by Cred. Businesses can choose to use their own balance sheets, or leverage Cred’s to provide credit and earning services to generate revenue,
Axonics® Announces Publication of NICE Briefing10.12.2018 16:03 | Pressemelding
Axonics Modulation Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AXNX), a medical technology company focused on the development and commercialization of novel implantable Sacral Neuromodulation (“SNM”) devices for the treatment of urinary and bowel dysfunction, announced today the publication of a Medtech Innovation Briefing by The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (“NICE”) following a careful review of the innovations offered by the Axonics System. The NICE Medtech Innovation Briefing entitled: “Axonics rechargeable sacral neuromodulation system for overactive bladder and faecal incontinence,” describes published clinical evidence on the Axonics r-SNM System®, confirming efficacy as well as the potential positive economic impact that is possible by the use of the Axonics system in the United Kingdom. The Axonics r-SNM System is the first rechargeable Sacral Neuromodulation system approved for sale in Europe and commercially available to all hospitals and clinics in the U.K. for patients
The Largest Blockchain Conference in Asia to Be Held 30–31 January in Yokohama, Japan10.12.2018 15:00 | Pressemelding
The Global Blockchain Association (Shimizu Building 6F, 3-19 Hayabusacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, President: Toshikazu Masuyama) is proud to host the largest blockchain conference in Asia: The Japan Blockchain Conference (JBC) – 2019 Yokohama, to be held on 30 and 31 January at Pacifico Yokohama. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181210005057/en/ The Japan Blockchain Conference (JBC) - 2019 Yokohama (Graphic: Business Wire) The conference will host top companies and organizations from Japan and abroad who represent the future of the rapidly growing blockchain space. This is the place where the leaders of blockchain and crypto can interact, form partnerships, and showcase their leading technologies and developments. We are actively looking for companies to join the best of the blockchain industry and exhibit at our conference. More details can be found here: http://japan-blockchain-c.com/en/ We welcome a wide range of
Global Payments’ TouchNet Business Named “Partner of the Year” by Ellucian10.12.2018 13:30 | Pressemelding
Global Payments Inc. (NYSE: GPN), a leading worldwide provider of payment technology and software solutions is pleased to announce that its TouchNet business was named “Partner of the Year” by Ellucian, a provider of software and services that power higher education, at its Partner Forum reception during the annual EDUCAUSE Conference this year in Denver, CO. TouchNet was recognized for its collaborative efforts to deliver streamlined engaging, cloud-based, student commerce and credential solutions. This honor further demonstrates the depth and breadth of the TouchNet platform and its dedication to delivering software-driven and technology-enabled strategies to institutions of higher education. “TouchNet’s commitment to delivering maximum value enables Ellucian to consistently provide customers with best-in-class solutions, support and service,” said Chris Westfall, Vice President Partnerships Ellucian. “When you combine Ellucian’s feature rich technology and in-depth customer knowledg
CTS Engines Hires Tom Bode as Senior Vice President, Operations10.12.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
CTS Engines, the global leader for mature engine maintenance within the Aerospace & Defense industry, announced today that it had hired Tom Bode as its Senior Vice President, Operations. In his new role, Mr. Bode will be responsible for all operations, quality, and engineering functions, and will report to Vesa Paukkeri, CTS Engines’s President and COO. Since 2008, Mr. Bode has been the General Manager of the Columbus Engine Center for Pratt & Whitney, a company he joined in 2000. Prior to 2000, Mr. Bode worked at GE Aviation, where he was a quality and engineering leader. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181210005036/en/ Tom Bode (Photo: Business Wire) “As the General Manager of CEC, Tom managed over 700 employees across multiple engine production lines and reduced overhaul turnaround times through the promotion of Lean manufacturing principles,” said Mr. Paukkeri. “His performance as a manager was recognized
Tracxpoint Signed a Major Agreement to Deploy its Artificial Intelligence Cart (AiC®) Platform at CONAD, One of the Largest and Most Sophisticated Supermarket Chains in Italy with 3,000 Locations in Lieu of Amazon Go after Intensive Study10.12.2018 11:00 | Pressemelding
Tracxpoint, a global provider of next-generation self-checkout grocery solutions, today announced an agreement to roll out its Artificial Intelligence Cart (AiC®) at CONAD DEL TIRRENO, one of the seven cooperatives of CONAD’s chain with more than 3,000 supermarket stores in Italy. This is a major milestone for the Israeli startup in its mission to establish the AiC® platform as the most powerful, accessible and comprehensive solution for self-checkout and personalized in-store engagement on the market today. CONAD DEL TIRRENO will start implementing the AiC® ecosystem during 2019. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181210005176/en/ The Tracxpoint AiC enables checkout-free stores and personalized in-store engagement for Italy's largest supermarket chain, CONAD. (Photo: Business Wire) In direct contrast to capital-intensive and smaller store concepts like Amazon Go or its imitators that rely on ceiling cameras for