Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
About Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Gilead Announces Latest Data in Ongoing HIV Cure Research Program23.7.2019 20:00:00 CEST | Press release
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) today presented results from two studies of investigational toll-like receptor 7 (TLR7) agonists as part of an HIV cure research program. The Phase 1 and preclinical study results demonstrate that the TLR7 agonists vesatolimod (GS-9620) and GS-986 can induce immune activation and follow earlier preclinical research suggesting that TLR7 agonists can potentially lead to viral remission, as part of combination regimens. The HIV viral reservoir is present even in virologically suppressed individuals and its elimination is regarded as a main obstacle to achieving a cure. The data were presented at the 10th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) being held in Mexico City. “While treatments have improved dramatically, people living with HIV still face a lifetime of therapy and potential complications. That reality drives our ongoing pursuit of a cure for HIV,” said Diana Brainard, MD, Senior Vice President, HIV and Emerging Viruses
Moody’s Analytics Wins Best Reporting System Provider in Waters Rankings23.7.2019 15:30:00 CEST | Press release
Moody’s Analytics, a global provider of financial intelligence, has won the award for Best Reporting System Provider in the 2019 Waters Rankings. We earned this recognition for our regulatory reporting solution. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190723005679/en/ For banks and insurers, staying on top of regulatory changes is critical. Our end-to-end solution handles the entire reporting process, producing 3,000 different regulatory reports covering more than 50 jurisdictions. It automatically delivers all required updates well in advance of the relevant deadlines and makes it easy for clients to review, adjust, audit, and validate their reports. The Moody’s Analytics regulatory surveillance team boasts a wealth of experience in both local and international domains going back decades. They monitor more than 100 supervisor websites to ensure that our clients receive the updates they need in a timely fashion. “Regu
Gilead Presents New Findings on Profile of Descovy® for Potential Use as HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis Compared With Truvada®23.7.2019 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) today presented additional results from the DISCOVER trial evaluating an investigational use of Descovy (emtricitabine 200 mg and tenofovir alafenamide 25 mg tablets; F/TAF) for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). In a sub-analysis of the DISCOVER trial, Descovy reached intracellular drug concentration levels above the estimated protective threshold significantly more quickly than Truvada (emtricitabine 200 mg and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300 mg tablets; F/TDF), and additional pharmacokinetic data confirm that these drug concentration levels persist longer than Truvada. The results were presented at the 10th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) being held in Mexico City. “Gilead is committed to driving advances in HIV prevention and supporting broader public health initiatives that are designed to reduce HIV infections,” said Diana Brainard, MD, Senior Vice President, HIV and Emerging Viruses, Gilead Sciences. “These
Velodyne Lidar Acquires Mapper.ai for ADAS Launch23.7.2019 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. today announced it has acquired mapping and localization software as well as intellectual property assets from Mapper.ai. Mapper technology will enable Velodyne to accelerate development of Vella™, breakthrough software that establishes its directional view Velarray™ lidar sensor. The Velarray is the first solid-state Velodyne lidar sensor that is embeddable and fits behind a windshield, as an integral component for superior, more effective advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190723005257/en/ In addition to ADAS, Velodyne will incorporate Mapper technology into lidar-centric solutions for other emerging applications, including autonomous vehicles, last-mile delivery services, security, smart cities, smart agriculture, robotics, and unmanned aerial vehicles. (Photo: Business Wire) Mapper’s entire leadership and engineering teams will join Velodyne, bol
Wealthy Americans are increasingly willing to invest, new UBS survey finds23.7.2019 14:12:00 CEST | Press release
US high net worth individuals and business owners are expressing growing intentions to invest as US markets continue to hit record highs in 2019, according to UBS Global Wealth Management's new quarterly Investor Sentiment survey. The survey, which polled more than 3,800 wealthy investors and entrepreneurs in 17 countries, also shows US investors remain positive on the U.S. stock market but continue to rank politics and the national debt as top concerns. Fifty percent of US investors see a diversified portfolio as a hedge against US-China trade tensions specifically, in line with UBS GWM's own views, compared with 41% who favor cash. Filippo Ilardi, US Client Strategy Officer at UBS Global Wealth Management, says: "We are pleased to see a substantial increase in investors willing to put more money in the market. Wealthy Americans are concerned about the political environment and US-China trade tensions but we are encouraged that they see diversification as an important way of managing
Andersen Global Expands into Ghana23.7.2019 13:30:00 CEST | Press release
Ghana law firm, Sam Okudzeto & Associates, signed a collaboration agreement with Andersen Global, marking Andersen Global’s presence in 13 African countries and over 51 countries worldwide. Located in the capital of Accra, Sam Okudzeto & Associates is one of the largest law firms in Ghana. For the past 48 years, the firm has provided legal advice and guidance in the corporate and commercial areas, including patents and trademarks, mergers and acquisition, tax advisory, corporate banking, international trade and investment, debt recovery, mining and mineral law, industrial and labor, aviation, maritime law, petroleum oil and gas, and intellectual property. Sam Okudzeto & Associates founder and Managing Partner, Sam Okudzeto and Nene Amegatcher, have led the team since the establishment of the firm until Nene Amegatcher was elevated to the Supreme Court. The firm now has four partners and 18 lawyers who have gained international reputation for their keen knowledge and experience with Alt