Bleisure Travelers are Hungry for Sunshine, Sightseeing, and Cuisine
New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, reveal that domestic and international bleisure travel is booming, and business travelers are invested in making the most of their time away from home. The findings, from a multi-national study commissioned by Expedia Group Media Solutions and conducted by Luth Research, spotlight the behaviors, influences, resources, and preferences of American, British, Chinese, German, and Indian bleisure travelers—or business travelers who extend their trip for leisure.
Unveiled today at Phocuswright Europe, Unpacking Bleisure Traveler Trends shows that on average, across the five countries, bleisure travelers take more than six business trips per year, and more than 60 percent of business trips during the last year were extended for leisure purposes. In the U.S., bleisure travel conversion is consistent with the multi-national average of 60 percent, revealing a nearly 40 percent increase in American bleisure travel since 20161.
On average, 72 percent of bleisure travelers said there are destinations they have visited or will visit in the future for business that they would like to extend for bleisure, but what makes a destination appealing for bleisure travel? Fifty-six percent said they are more likely to consider a bleisure trip in a destination with great food and restaurants, closely followed by approximately 50 percent influenced by beaches, weather, nature, historical monuments or sightseeing. This further validates the importance of experiences and activities for all travelers, and illustrates an opportunity for marketers to attract bleisure travelers from around the world.
“The study provides a deeper look at the influences and motivations of the growing and valuable bleisure audience, and the actionable insights will empower marketers to strategically target and convert these travelers within the condensed research and booking window,” said Andrew van der Feltz, Senior Director, EMEA & APAC for Expedia Group Media Solutions. “By showcasing unique experiences and activities, which are influential factors during the decision-making process, every destination, hotel, restaurant, attraction, airline, and more, can entice business travelers to extend their trip for leisure.”
Converting to Bleisure
- Business trips lasting 2-3 nights are most likely to result in bleisure trips (50 percent), as are trips where the business destination is far away, or more than 400 miles from home (49 percent)
- Leading factors that influence bleisure travel decisions include traveling to a destination with great entertainment (48 percent) and visiting an iconic or bucket list destination (43 percent); easy-to-navigate destinations, proximity to the weekend and additional personal costs required to extend the trip for leisure are also influential factors
Bleisure Research & Booking Resources
- Approximately 80 percent of bleisure travelers spend 1-5 hours on research during both the inspiration and planning phases, which is more condensed than more traditional leisure booking windows
- Before deciding to bleisure, 68 percent of travelers conduct research using a search engine, 47 percent use travel-related websites – including OTAs, airline and hotel sites, and review sites – and 44 percent use destination websites
- Most bleisure travelers personally research and book accommodations (61 percent), airfare (42 percent) and dining (38 percent) for the leisure portion of their trip
Willingness to Travel for Bleisure
- Two-thirds of past bleisure trips were in the same city as the business trip, but more than 80 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel from the business destination for leisure
- On domestic and international trips, more than 50 percent of bleisure travelers are willing to travel 1-2 hours via car from the business destination for the leisure portion of their trip, and more than 28 percent would travel 1-2 hours via plane
- When traveling domestically between the business and leisure destinations, 38 percent of bleisure travelers are unwilling to travel via bus and 25 percent are unwilling to travel via plane
Bleisure Budgets & Payment Preferences
- Compared to a typical vacation, 57 percent of bleisure travelers spend the same amount of money or more on a bleisure trip, and more than 75 percent save money specifically for bleisure travel
- When on a bleisure trip, credit cards are the leading preferred payment method (69 percent), followed by cash (47 percent) and debit or ATM cards (44 percent)
- More than two-thirds of bleisure spend is allocated to hotel, airfare and dining for the leisure portion of the trip
Key Takeaways for Marketers
- Bleisure Travel is Booming: Sixty percent of business trips convert to bleisure, and with travelers taking more than six business trips per year, on average, there’s a profound opportunity to reach and entice this valuable audience.
- Bleisure Knows No Boundaries: There is nearly equal likelihood of bleisure travel for both domestic and international business trips, and travelers are willing to travel away from the business destination for leisure.
- Destination To-Do’s: With nearly 70 percent of business trips being for conferences, there is an opportunity for destinations to encourage extending for leisure by highlighting activities and experiences to drive repeat visitation.
- Condensed Path to Purchase: Most bleisure travelers spend less time on research than they would on a leisure trip, so marketers have a shorter window to strategically target and influence behavior and purchases with call to action messaging.
- In Market Targeting: Bleisure travelers may not book everything in advance, highlighting opportunities for marketers to reach and convert travelers in-trip – especially for ancillary products like dining, tours and activities, entertainment and transportation.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach the growing bleisure audience, and to view the full multi-national study, please visit: bit.ly/bleisure-trends. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional regional and generational bleisure research throughout the year.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 Discover the Untapped Mind of a Bleisure Traveler, Expedia Group Media Solutions, 2016
For Expedia Media Solutions
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
PEI-Genesis Names Kris Haggstrom Senior Director of E-Commerce and EMS15.8.2018 11:07 | Pressemelding
PEI-Genesis, a global leader in the design and assembly of custom engineered connectors and cable solutions, has named Kris Haggstrom Senior Director of E-Commerce and Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS), it was announced today by Peter Austin, Corporate Vice President, PEI-Genesis. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180815005021/en/ PEI-Genesis names Kris Haggstrom Senior Director of E-Commerce and Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS). (Photo: Business Wire) “As PEI-Genesis has grown into a stronger, larger, global company capable of providing services across all markets, our customers have always considered us to be their connector solutions provider,” said Austin. “We have moved from being known as the fastest custom assembler of connectors, to having the largest available-to-sell connector inventory, to making finished cable assemblies, to providing total custom engineering and design capabilities. Wit
Quanergy Signs Oprema as Distribution Partner for UK and Ireland15.8.2018 10:00 | Pressemelding
Quanergy Systems, Inc., a global leader in the design and development of solid state LiDAR sensors and smart sensing solutions, today announced a partnership with Oprema, the fastest growing U.K. security distributor. Through the partnership, Oprema will provide full distribution support for Quanergy’s QORTEX™ for Security system across the United Kingdom and Ireland. Oprema will be Quanergy’s first distributor in the U.K. and Ireland, and will provide access to Quanergy’s LiDAR-based security system QORTEX for Security, an intelligent 3D perimeter fencing system that combines LiDAR hardware and software to enable real-time 3D detection, tracking and classification of security breaches. The solution was developed for use across various industries in which large-scale perimeter monitoring is essential. Tim Duggan, technical director at Oprema commented: “We are delighted to have signed a distribution agreement with Quanergy and are extremely excited about the technological advancements
itslearning and Google for Education Strike New Education Partnership, Deliver Major New Integrations to Improve Learning Outcomes15.8.2018 06:00 | Pressemelding
itslearning today announced its collaboration with Google for Education, delivering the first phase of a comprehensive technology roadmap. This initial milestone aligns with the itslearning mission to improve the efficacy of technology in education. The collaboration will involve significant work across R&D, Sales, and Marketing functions. With phase one complete, these capabilities are now available: Use of Google assignment templates to quickly ‘make a copy’ of a single Google file for each student with one click Easy administration of assignments within the itslearning environment by uploading from or linking to documents on Google Drive Ability to collaborate and give real-time feedback in Google Docs directly from an itslearning assignment screen Automatic management of file permissions to prevent learners from making post-deadline changes to a submitted file View, annotate, and grade submitted files with a grade or against a rubric, all from within one itslearning screen “We are
Pacific Drilling Announces Second-Quarter 2018 Results14.8.2018 21:38 | Pressemelding
Pacific Drilling S.A. (OTC: PACDQ) today reported results for the second quarter of 2018. Net loss for the second-quarter 2018 was $103.7 million or $4.86 per diluted share, compared to net loss of $96.1 million or $4.50 per diluted share for the first-quarter 2018, and net loss of $138.1 million or $6.48 per diluted share for second-quarter 2017. Pacific Drilling CEO Paul Reese commented, “This quarter we continued to provide outstanding operational services to our clients, delivering revenue efficiency of 98.7 percent. Our strong operating results have been recognized by clients as we successfully secure new work for our high-specification, deepwater drillship fleet. Petronas recently exercised its option to contract Pacific Santa Ana for an additional year of work commencing in mid-2019. In addition, we have a letter of intent from Eni for Pacific Bora to work in Nigeria, as well as two letters of award for drilling services in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico for Pacific Khamsin and Pacific
Gilead Sciences Announces Executive Promotions14.8.2018 21:00 | Pressemelding
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) today announced that Gregg Alton has been appointed Chief Patient Officer, a newly created role that will facilitate access to the company’s medicines and increase focus on reaching patients. The company also announced that Diana Brainard, MD, has been promoted to Senior Vice President, HIV and Emerging Viral Infections, and that Andrew Cheng, MD, PhD, Chief Medical Officer, has decided to leave Gilead to pursue another opportunity. Mr. Alton joined the company nearly 20 years ago and was the architect of its access program, which has enabled Gilead’s HIV medicines to reach more than 11 million people in the developing world. He has helped shape the organization in a number of executive positions, including as general counsel, and more recently, leading the company’s international commercial operations and corporate affairs groups. Prior to joining Gilead, he was an attorney at the law firm of Cooley Godward, LLP, where he specialized in mergers and
Thales and Gemalto Announce Regulatory Clearance from the Minister of Innovation in Canada14.8.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
Regulatory News: Reference is made to the joint press release by Thales (Euronext Paris: HO) and Gemalto (Euronext Amsterdam and Paris: GTO) dated 27 March 2018 in relation to the launch of the recommended all-cash offer by Thales for all the issued and outstanding shares of Gemalto (the “Offer”), the publication of the Offer Document, and the joint press release of Thales and Gemalto dated 10 August 2018 in relation to the further extension of the Acceptance Period. Terms not defined in this press release will have the meaning as set forth in the Offer Document. Thales and Gemalto today announce that they have received foreign investment Regulatory Clearance in Canada. Together with the anti-trust clearance obtained in China and Israel, and clearance relating to foreign investments in Australia, Thales and Gemalto have obtained 4 of the required 14 Regulatory Clearances. Thales and Gemalto continue to work constructively with the competent antitrust authorities to obtain the remaining