Biogen Confirms Commitment to Tackle Multiple Sclerosis Through Comprehensive Approach
Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) confirms its comprehensive approach to tackle multiple sclerosis (MS) at the seventh Joint Meeting of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in MS and Americas Committee for Treatment and Research in MS (ECTRIMS-ACTRIMS; 25 – 28 October).
“With more than 25 years of scientific leadership in MS, Biogen’s commitment is unwavering,” said Michael Ehlers, executive vice president, Research & Development at Biogen. “Our expertise puts Biogen in a unique position with a comprehensive approach including active research and clinical development on how to repair the damage to the central nervous system from relapsing forms of MS, a portfolio of new drug candidates that we are advancing to the clinic, our collaboration to identify a digital biomarker, our focus to advance understanding of the disease through global data collection with MS PATHS, active pursuit of the genetic origins of progressive forms of MS, and our innovation in value-based contract pilots in the U.S.”
Key updates at ECTRIMS-ACTRIMS from Biogen include:
- The latest from the collaboration with Verily and Brigham and Women’s Hospital whose goal is to explore the use of digital biosensors to assess patients outside of the clinic. Additional data on the possible utility of predictive biomarkers to inform MS diagnosis and ongoing disease monitoring, with the goal of assisting clinicians with their decisions on how to treat based on the heterogeneic differences of those living with MS, will also be presented.
- Interim reports from MS PATHS (Partners Advancing Technology and Health Solutions), a collaboration with 10 leading MS centers in Europe and the U.S. to leverage technology deployed in routine care to generate standardized, high-quality data from a diverse, real-world patient population. MS PATHS collects clinical, MRI and biologic data from all patients in real-time, at the point of care, to better understand the disease and ultimately improve the lives of those living with MS.
- An assessment of the Big Multiple Sclerosis Data (BMSD) Network, comprised of five MS registries and facilitated by Biogen. The network will merge data from large MS registries that have collected longitudinal data on nearly 140,000 people with MS. The scale of this pooled MS data may enable greater understanding of MS and its impact.
- A comprehensive review of the Phase 2 SYNERGY trial that identified a specific patient population for the investigational molecule opicinumab (anti-LINGO-1) as a potential therapy to repair damage to the central nervous system caused by MS.
- An innovative economic model using real-world data from the MSBase Registry with a goal to demonstrate cost-effectiveness of treatment in highly-active MS patients. The analysis supports value-based reimbursement initiatives linked to patient outcomes. In July, Biogen announced four pilots for value-based contracts with health plans across the U.S. The contracts utilize real-world data to align price with patient outcomes.
“With 10 centers now active and strong patient enrollment, our MS PATHS collaboration provides a glimpse into the future of MS care and research,” said Alfred Sandrock, M.D., Ph.D., executive vice president and chief medical officer at Biogen. “By leveraging technology we are able to collect a robust set of real-world data that is unprecedented in scale and will contribute to a more precise approach to managing patients by supporting providers in real-time to meet the diverse needs of people living with MS.”
Highlights of Biogen’s more than 80 platform and poster presentations:
- Predictors of an Opicinumab Treatment Effect and Identification of an Efficacy Subpopulation: A Post Hoc Analysis of the SYNERGY Study – Poster P718 – Thursday, 26 October, 15:30-17:00 CET
- Overall Response Score: A Novel Disability Endpoint That Allows for the Integrated Assessment of Improvement and Worsening Over Time in Patients with MS – Poster P777 – Thursday, 26 October, 15:30-17:00 CET
- Temporal Variability Profile of Serum Neurofilament Light Levels in Multiple Sclerosis Patients – Platform 102 – Thursday, 26 October, 11:37–11:49 CET
- Biosensor Measures in Clinic and Free-living Settings Correlate with Multiple Sclerosis Disease Severity – Platform 191 – Friday, 27 October, 09:15-09:27 CET
- Big Multiple Sclerosis Data Network: Data Sharing Among Five Large MS Registries – Poster P738 – Thursday, 26 October, 15:30-17:00 CET
- The Multiple Sclerosis Partners Advancing Technology and Health Solutions (MS PATHS) Patient Cohort – Poster P336 – Thursday, 26 October, 15:30-17:00 CET
- Comparison of Case-mix in Multiple Sclerosis Patients Participating in Randomized Control Trials, Prospective Observational Studies, and Multiple Sclerosis Partners Advancing Technology and Health Solutions (MS PATHS) – Poster P351 – Thursday, 26 October, 15:30-17:00 CET
- A Cost-effectiveness Analysis Using Real-world Data from the MSBase Registry: Comparing Natalizumab to Fingolimod in Patients with Inadequate Response to Disease Modifying Therapies in Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis in Scotland – Poster P700 – Thursday, 26 October, 15:30-17:00 CET
At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Founded in 1978 as one of the world’s first global biotechnology companies by Charles Weissman and Nobel Prize winners Walter Gilbert and Phillip Sharp , today Biogen has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis; has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy; and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, pain, ophthalmology, neuropsychiatry, and acute neurology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics. We routinely post information that may be important to investors on our website at www.biogen.com. To learn more, please visit www.biogen.com and follow us on social media – Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube.
Biogen Safe Harbor
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements relating to the potential impact of our programs, development and potential benefits, safety and efficacy of investigational drugs, including opicinumab, results of certain clinical studies and real-world data. These statements may be identified by words such as “aim,” “believe,” “except,” “may,” “plan,” “potential,” “will” and similar expressions, and are based on our current beliefs and expectations. You should not place undue reliance on these statements or the scientific data presented. Drug development and commercialization involve a high degree of risk, and only a small number of research and development programs result in commercialization of a product. Results in early stage clinical trials may not be indicative of full results or results from later stage or larger scale clinical trials and do not ensure regulatory approval. Factors which could cause actual results to differ materially from our current expectations include the risk that we may not fully enroll our clinical trials or enrollment will take longer than expected, unexpected concerns may arise from additional data or analysis, including data, analysis or results obtained during our clinical trials, regulatory authorities may require additional information or further studies, or may fail to approve or may delay approval of our drug candidates, or we may encounter other unexpected hurdles which may be impacted by, among other things, the occurrence of adverse safety events, failure to obtain regulatory approvals in certain jurisdictions, failure to protect intellectual property and other proprietary rights, product liability claims, third party collaboration risks. The foregoing sets forth many, but not all, of the factors that could cause actual results to differ from our expectations in any forward-looking statement. Investors should consider this cautionary statement, as well as the risk factors identified in Biogen’s most recent annual or quarterly report and in other reports Biogen has filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. These statements are based on our current beliefs and expectations and speak only as of the date of this press release. We do not undertake any obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Versum Materials Celebrates the Grand Opening of Its Research and Development Facility in Hometown, PA19.4.2018 20:37 | Pressemelding
Versum Materials, Inc. (NYSE: VSM), a leading materials supplier to the semiconductor industry, announced today the grand opening of its new research and development (R&D) facility at its semiconductor materials manufacturing site in Hometown, Pennsylvania. The ribbon-cutting ceremony took place April 10, 2018. Versum employees, members of the community, local government, customers and strategic partners attended the event. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180419006305/en/ Versum Materials ribbon-cutting ceremony at the company's new R&D facility in Hometown, PA. (Photo: Business Wire) The state-of-the-art R&D laboratory is dedicated to new materials used in the manufacture of semiconductors. Scientists in the facility will synthesize and purify new molecules down to parts per billion impurity levels and below using the latest technologies available in the industry. The researchers can assess the applications f
Pharnext to Showcase PLEOTHERAPY™ R&D Platform at the 8th Annual Global Orphan Drug Conference19.4.2018 15:45 | Pressemelding
Regulatory News: Pharnext SA (Paris:ALPHA) (FR0011191287 - ALPHA), a biopharmaceutical company pioneering a new approach to the development of innovative drug combinations based on big data genomics and artificial intelligence, today announced that Rodolphe Hajj, Ph.D., the Company’s Chief Pharmacology Officer, will present at the 8th Annual Global Orphan Drug Conference. The presentation will take place as follows: Date & Time: Wednesday April 25th at 4:40 pm EST Title: “Next generation drug repurposing using network pharmacology to develop new therapeutic entities for rare diseases” Venue: Gaylord National Harbor Hotel, Oxon Hill, MD, U.S. Pharnext’s team will also attend the 2018 American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting as a first-time exhibitor (booth 908). The meeting will take place on April 21-27, 2018 in Los Angeles, CA, U.S. If you are interested in meeting the Pharnext management team during these events, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. About Pharnext Pharne
New Study Investigates the Utility of Masimo SpHb® in Post-operative Red Blood Cell (RBC) Transfusion Best Practices19.4.2018 15:01 | Pressemelding
Masimo (NASDAQ: MASI) announced today the findings of an abstract presented at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Network for the Advancement of Patient Blood Management, Haemostatis and Thrombosis (NATA), in which researchers investigated the utility of Masimo noninvasive and continuous hemoglobin (SpHb®) in supporting and enhancing red blood cell (RBC) transfusion best practices as part of post-operative patient blood management (PBM).1 This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180419005949/en/ Masimo Radical-7® with SpHb® and RD rainbow SET™ Sensor (Photo: Business Wire) In the study, Prof. Baricchi and colleagues in the Transfusion Medicine Unit, AUSL-IRCCS of Reggio Emilia and at the Department of Medicine and Surgery at the University of Parma, Italy, sought to evaluate the appropriateness of post-operative RBC transfusion over a three-year period (2013-2015), before and after implementation of a patient blood managem
Synteract Repositions Itself with Centers of Therapeutic Development and Unveils Updated Brand Platform19.4.2018 14:06 | Pressemelding
Synteract, an innovative contract research organization (CRO) providing full-service, Phase I-IV services to biopharma companies bringing new medicines to market, has enhanced its focus. The CRO today announced the creation of therapeutic centers of development that include some of the most progressive in the biopharma industry: oncology, especially leading edge immunotherapy studies, neuro-degenerative disorders, pediatrics, and rare and orphan disease. In addition, Synteract revealed its new market positioning with an updated logo, tagline, and website to reinforce its core capabilities. Synteract’s leadership has been proven in these core development areas, over its nearly 30-year history, through its contributions to more than 240 product approvals. Formal establishment of its new centers of development bring more visibility to Synteract’s longstanding, specialized expertise in these complex areas of clinical research. Synteract CEO Steve Powell says, “By aligning operational excel
Nel ASA: Receives Additional Purchase Order from Nikola19.4.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
Nel ASA (Nel, OSE: NEL) has received a USD 5.5 million purchase order from Nikola Motor Company (Nikola), as part of the previously announced hydrogen stations. “We are very proud to announce that we have received an additional order from Nikola related to the electrolyzer and fueling solution for their prototype trucks. The order marks a strengthening of our partnership and is a recognition of the level of competence our team and hydrogen solutions can offer. We look forward to supplying the demo stations, which will lay the groundwork for the world’s largest, most efficient network of low-cost hydrogen production and fueling sites,” says Jon André Løkke, Chief Executive Officer of Nel. On November 15, 2017, Nikola and Nel announced the exclusive partnership and a purchase order for two so-called demo hydrogen refueling stations for Nikola's fleet of prototype hydrogen trucks. The partnership aims at developing low-cost, renewable hydrogen production and fueling sites for the potentia
Voith and Franka Emika Form a Strategic Partnership19.4.2018 13:39 | Pressemelding
The technology company Voith and the Munich-based robotics company Franka Emika have entered into a strategic partnership. Part of the strategic partnership is the establishment of a new joint venture called Voith Robotics – A Voith and Franka Emika Company. The company, with headquarters in Munich, is to become a global system supplier for robot-assisted automation in the digital age. Voith Robotics will offer self-teaching lightweight robots made by Franka Emika, along with software solutions, apps, services and process consulting, to customers in various industries and markets throughout the world. As part of the strategic partnership Voith will also have a direct stake in Franka Emika, thus emphasizing the long-term and strategic commitment by the two companies to cooperation. Martin Scherrer, formerly a member of the Board of Management of Voith Paper, will be the new chief executive officer of Voith Robotics, which is to be managed by Voith. The still very young market for collab