Amazon Celebrates Biggest Holiday; More Than Four Million People Trialed Prime In One Week Alone This Season
(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon celebrated its biggest holiday season with customers all around the world shopping at record levels. Prime membership continued to grow this holiday – in fact, in one week alone, more than four million people started Prime free trials or began paid memberships, to benefit from free two-day, one-day or same-day shipping, in addition to ultra-fast one and two hour delivery with Prime Now.
Customers shopped from hundreds of millions of products, including a vast selection from small businesses and entrepreneurs. More than one billion items were ordered from small businesses and entrepreneurs worldwide this season – and over just five days, from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, nearly 140 million items were ordered from small businesses and entrepreneurs. Amazon Devices also had its best holiday yet, with tens of millions of Alexa-enabled devices sold worldwide. Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote were not only the top-selling Amazon devices this holiday season, but they were also the best-selling products from any manufacturer in any category across all of Amazon.
“Since Day One we have obsessed over what we believe our customers care about – incredible deals and low prices, fast and free shipping, and a wide selection of top products – and we continue to provide all three, all the time. We’re excited that people continued to join Prime this holiday, to take advantage of more fast and free shipping options plus new convenient delivery like Amazon Key, as well as early access to Lightning Deals and unlimited streaming of TV shows and movies, including Prime Originals and more,” stated Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “Thank you to the millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Amazon employees all around the world who made this holiday better than ever before. We look forward to another great year ahead.”
Amazon Devices and Alexa
- It was a record holiday shopping season for Amazon Devices, with millions more devices purchased worldwide this year than last year’s holiday season.
- This holiday season was better than ever for the family of Echo products. The Echo Dot was the #1 selling Amazon Device this holiday season, and the best-selling product from any manufacturer in any category across all of Amazon, with millions sold.
- Customers purchased more than twice as many Amazon Fire TV Sticks compared to last year’s holiday season. Fire TV continues to be the #1 streaming media player family in the U.S., U.K., Germany, and Japan, across all retailers.
- It was the best holiday season ever for Fire Kids Edition Tablets with 2.4x as many devices purchased from Amazon.com compared to the same time period last year.
- Echo devices have been an extremely popular gift this year, with Echo Spot, Echo Dot and Echo Buttons selling out this holiday season; customers can still pre-order to reserve their place in line and orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- This year, Kindle celebrated its 10th holiday season.
- This holiday, millions of Prime members voice shopped with Alexa for gifts, Amazon devices and everyday household essentials. The most popular items purchased by voice were the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and TP-Link Smart Plug Mini.
- Alexa helped mix tens of thousands of cocktails this holiday season with Martini and Manhattan being the most requested drinks.
- The recipe for chocolate chip cookies was the most requested recipe this holiday season.
- The most requested song from Alexa customers this holiday season was “Jingle Bells.”
- The East Coast was more in the holiday spirit this season, asking Alexa to play holiday music 2.5x as many times as the West Coast.
- Alexa customers turned on their holiday lights more than a million times via Alexa this holiday season.
- Alexa customers asked for tens of millions of jokes this holiday season.
- The most common person people called this holiday season was 'Mom' in the U.S. and Germany, and 'Dad' in the U.K.
- Music listening time on Alexa was 3x as much this holiday season compared to last holiday season.
- Customers wished Alexa a Merry Christmas, Happy holidays and Happy Hanukkah 3.5x more this year when compared to last year's holiday season.
- People asked about Santa 4x as much this holiday season compared to last holiday season.
- Customers asked Alexa for cooking related advice more than 9x as much this year compared to last holiday season.
- The most requested movies this holiday season via Alexa were Trolls and Elf.
- Alexa on Fire TV is more popular than ever before, with usage in the United States up 889% over the same time period last year.
- Alexa customers set 3x as many timers this year compared to last holiday season.
Amazon Delivered this Holiday
- Across North America and the Europe, associates at 10 fulfillment centers picked, packed, and shipped more than one million customer packages in a single day.
- Amazon’s peak day of customer fulfillment in 2017 was December 19, 2017.
- In 2017, we increased the size of our fulfillment and shipping network by more than 30% in square footage worldwide.
- In the U.S., more than 6,000 trailers and 32 Amazon Air planes helped get holiday orders to customers this season.
- Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, Amazon Air carried enough packages to equal over a billion Echo Dots.
- An Amazon Air cargo plane can hold more than 10,000 Instant Pots.
- The last Prime Now order in time for Christmas was delivered in 58 minutes at 11:58 p.m. on Christmas Eve in Baltimore, MD. The order included the Kid Galaxy Amphibious RC Car Morphibians Shark Remote Control Toy, the Crayola Oil Pastels Art Tools, 28 ct., and the VTech Click and Count Remote.
- The top five items ordered on a mobile device were the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and the TP-Link Smart Plug.
- Customers worldwide shopping on the Amazon App increased nearly 70% this holiday season.
- More than 1,400 electronics products were ordered per second on a mobile device this holiday season.
- AR view saw the most usage on Cyber Monday. The most popular item viewed with AR view throughout this holiday season was a black chair with ottoman. Top categories viewed with AR view are furniture, toys, Amazon devices, kitchen items and consumer electronics.
- Amazon’s Treasure Truck fleet and festively wrapped Amazon semi-trucks made special deliveries as part of Amazon’s “Delivering Smiles” holiday tour. Together, the trucks stopped in over 30 communities where Amazon employees live and work, donating thousands of items including STEM toys, books, devices, and household essentials to women, children, and families in immediate need. At the end of the tour, Amazon donated $1 for every mile the trucks traveled to the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
- The “Delivering Smiles” holiday tour expanded Amazon’s growing support of children and families in immediate need. To learn more about each nonprofit Amazon visited throughout their “Delivering Smiles” tour in the US and Canada, visit https://blog.aboutamazon.com/delivering-smiles.
- This year, 4x more music from Amazon Music was streamed over Alexa compared to last holiday season.
- Amazon Music listeners loved using the lyrics feature to ask for songs on Alexa over the holidays, requesting “Jingle Bells” more than any other festive track just by saying a few words from the song.
- Listeners wanted to slow down and unwind this season, asking Alexa to play “relaxing” music more than any other mood through Amazon Music.
- Listeners in New York, Seattle, Chicago, Houston and San Diego streamed more holiday songs on Amazon Music via Alexa, than any other cities in the U.S.
- Christmas by Michael Bublé was once again the most played album on Amazon Music during the holiday season.
- “All I want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey held the top spot for the most streamed holiday song on Amazon Music for the second year in a row.
- The most watched season over the holidays was the Golden Globe-nominated Prime Original The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
- The most watched series this holiday was The Grand Tour.
- The most watched Amazon Original movie this holiday season was The Big Sick.
- The most watched Kids Prime Original over the holidays was If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
- The most purchased movie over the holidays was Elf.
- The most purchased series over the holidays was The Walking Dead.
- The most watched Amazon Channel subscriptions this holiday season were HBO, Showtime and STARZ, and the current seasons of Game of Thrones, Shameless and Power were the top watched shows on each channel, respectively.
- The top match-up of Prime Video’s 10-game Thursday Night Football schedule this season was on Dec. 7, when two million worldwide viewers watched the Atlanta Falcons beat the New Orleans Saints 20-17
- The most-read Kindle book in Amazon First Reads in 2017 was, Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.
- The best-selling and most-listened-to audiobook of 2017 was The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson, narrated by Roger Wayne.
- The most-listened-to fiction audiobook of 2017 was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling, narrated by Jim Dale.
- The most-commented-on audiobook of 2017 was Born a Crime by Trevor Noah, narrated by the author.
- According to Amazon Charts, the most read and most gifted Kindle book in the U.S. this holiday season was Origin: A Novel by Dan Brown.
- According to Amazon Charts, the top book Kindle readers in the U.S. found ‘Unputdownable’ this holiday season was Year One: Chronicles of the One, Book 1 by Nora Roberts, reading it cover-to-cover faster than other books.
- According to Amazon Charts, the Most Wished For books of 2017 in the U.S. were: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson, Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil Degrasse Tyson, and Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.
- Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale was the most borrowed book from Prime Reading, worldwide, in 2017.
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Laurel Randolph, independently published through Kindle Direct Publishing, has been topping Amazon Charts throughout the holiday season – reaching #1 on the most sold non-fiction list the week of Cyber Monday.
- Prime members shopped more than 100,000 Lightning Deals on Amazon.com with Prime Early Access.
- Customers shopped hundreds of Deals of the Day on Amazon.com throughout the holiday season.
- Millions of customers in the U.S. watched deals with Watch a Deal.
- This holiday season, Whole Foods Market sold over 500,000 pounds of sweet treats at the cookie bars featured in stores across the U.S. – that’s enough to feed Santa more than 6 million cookies throughout his trip around the world on Christmas Eve.
- Across Amazon Books’ 13 bookstores, the top selling nonfiction book was Obama: An Intimate Portrait by Pete Souza; the top selling fiction book was Origin by Dan Brown; the top selling kids book was Diary of a Wimpy Kid #12, The Getaway by Jeff Kinney; and, the top selling poetry book was the sun and her flowers by Rumi Kaur.
- Across Amazon Books’ 13 bookstores, one out of seven customers who purchased a book also donated a children’s book to local charities supporting children in need. The top selling book given to local charities was the classic, Are You My Mother by P.D. Eastman; it was also the top selling book across all 13 stores.
- The Echo Dot was the top-selling device across Amazon Books’ 13 stores; the Kindle Paperwhite was the best-selling Kindle; the TP-Link Smart Plug was the best-selling accessory; and WowWee Fingerlings were the top selling toy.
- The best-selling kitchen item in the U.S. and worldwide was the Instant Pot DUO80.
- The best-selling toy and game item in the U.S. was the Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster, while the best-selling toy and game item worldwide was What Do You Meme? Adult Party Game.
- The best-selling smart home product in the U.S. and worldwide was the TP-Link Smart Plug.
- The best-selling beauty and grooming items in the U.S. included the Finishing Touch Flawless Women's Painless Hair Remover, the Philips Norelco Multigroom All-In-One Series 3000 and the Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, while the best-selling item worldwide was the Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Rechargeable Toothbrush.
- The best-selling home, health and personal care products in the U.S. this holiday season include Fitbit Charge 2, the 23andMe DNA Test, the AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing - DNA Ancestry Test Kit and Radha Beauty Aromatherapy Top 8 Essential Oils.
- Robot vacuums were among the best-selling home items on Amazon.com over the holiday season.
- The best-selling products from Amazon Launchpad businesses included WowWee Fingerlings Interactive Baby Monkey, Exploding Kittens Card Game, and Watch Ya Mouth Throwdown Edition Card Game.
- The best-selling sports items in the U.S. this season included Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls, Wilson NFL MVP Junior Football and Spalding NBA Street Basketball.
- The best-selling fashion items in the U.S. this holiday season include ASICS Men's GEL Venture 5 Running Shoe, Alex and Ani Initial Expandable Wire Bangle Bracelet, 2.5", Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean, UGG Women's Classic Short II Boot.
- The best-selling products from AmazonFresh in the U.S. this holiday season, were organic bananas, limes, cucumbers, navel oranges, yellow onions.
- The best-selling furniture products in the U.S. included the Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, the LinenSpa 8" Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress and the LINENSPA 6 Inch Innerspring Mattress.
- The best-selling automotive products in the U.S. included the Dark Seasonal Snow & Ice Car Scraper, the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter and the STANLEY J5C09 Jump Starter.
- The best-selling pet products in the U.S. included the PEDIGREE DENTASTIX Holiday Treats for Dogs, the KONG Wild Knots Bears Durable Dog Toys and the Taste of the Wild, Canine Formula.
- The best-selling baby products in the U.S. include the Nuby Ice Gel Teether Keys, Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy and the Nuby Bundle of 3 Toys, which was also the best-selling baby product worldwide.
- The best-selling luxury beauty item in the U.S. was the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater, stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner and Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water, Cleansing and Make-Up Removing Solution.
- The best-selling grocery item in the U.S. was Green Mountain Coffee Keurig Coffee Lover's Variety Pack Single-Serve K-Cup Sampler, 40 Count, the Glaceau Smartwater Vapor Distilled Water, and Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
- The best-selling tools include the Black + Decker LDX 120C 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver and the MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband.
- The best-selling wireless products in the U.S. include Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder, PopSockets: Expanding Stand and Grip for Smartphones and Tablets and Wemo Mini Smart Plug.
- The best-selling major appliances in the U.S. include Samsung MS11K3000AS 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven, the Danby 120 Can Beverage Center and the NewAir AB-1200 126-Can Beverage Cooler.
- The best-selling musical instruments on Amazon.com were the Snark SN5X Clip-On Tuner for Guitar, Singing Machine SML385BTW Top Loading CDG Karaoke System with Bluetooth, Sound and Disco Light Show, and the Singing Machine SMM-205 Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone.
- The best-selling outdoor items in the U.S. were Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed with Built-in Electric Pump, the Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle and the BV Bicycle Light Set Super Bright 5 LED Headlight.
- The best-selling home improvement products on Amazon.com were the Philips Hue White A19 Single LED Bulb (Works with Amazon Alexa), Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance 3rd Generation A19 10W Equivalent Dimmable LED Smart Bulb (Works with Amazon Alexa) and Himalayan Glow Pink Salt Lamp.
- The best-selling lawn and garden products in the U.S. this holiday season included the Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer, Snow Joe SJBLZD Telescoping Snow Broom with Ice Scraper and Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector.
- The best-selling office products in the U.S. were Elmer's Liquid School Glue (1 Gallon) - Great For Making Slime, Georgia-Pacific Spectrum Standard 92 Multipurpose Paper (8.5 x 11 Inches) and Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens (Assorted Colors, 12-Count).
- The best-selling business, industrial and scientific supplies in the U.S. included the First Aid Only All-Purpose First Aid Essentials Kit, Rubbermaid Commercial Stainless Steel Oven Monitoring Thermometer and TOPGREENER TU2154A High Speed USB Charger Outlet.
- The best-selling TVs in the U.S. this holiday season were the TCL 32-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model), Samsung Electronics 40-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2017 Model), TCL 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) and Samsung Electronics 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model).
Holiday Fun Facts
- This season, Amazon customers purchased enough WowWee Fingerlings Interactive Baby Monkey toys on Amazon.com to hang end-to-end down the Empire State Building more than 100 times.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough TVs to create nearly 2,500 towers the size of the Space Needle.
- Amazon customers purchased enough littlebits Star Wars Droid Inventor Kits on Amazon.com to man an Imperial-II class Star Destroyer.
- Amazon customers purchased enough Calvin Klein products on Amazon.com during the holiday to give five items to every attendee at Coachella 2017.
- Amazon customers purchased enough shoes on Amazon.com during the holiday season were lined up end-to-end, they would stretch from Alaska to Miami.
- This holiday season, Amazon.com customers purchased enough Wickedly Prime Truffle Spreads to make over half a million dipped strawberries.
- Treasure Truck customers purchased enough holiday wreaths that when stacked, one on top of the other, would reach the top of the Empire State Building nearly five and a half times.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Instant Pot pressure cookers this holiday to make more than nine million bowls of chili at once.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough AmazonBasics hangers to hold an outfit for each person in the city of Houston, TX – the fourth most populated city in the U.S.
- If you lined up all the copies of Jeff Kinney’s, The Getaway that Amazon sold during the holiday season, you would reach the height of 444 Saturn V rockets.
- If you collected all of the copies of Walter Isaacson’s, Leonardo Da Vinci that Amazon sold over the holidays, they would weigh the equivalent of 25,417 gallons of paint – enough paint to cover over Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel ceiling 1,592 and a half times.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.
Om Business Wire
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
The Brightline Initiative, Project Management Institute and The Boston Consulting Group Host The Economist Events for Davos Panel19.1.2018 21:13 | Pressemelding
The Brightline™ Initiative, a non-commercial coalition dedicated to helping organizations bridge the gap between strategy design and strategy delivery, along with Project Management Institute (PMI) and The Boston Consulting Group are hosting The Economist Events on the panel discussion, “The Business Case for Openness: Implementing Strategy in a Drawbridge up World.” This event marks Brightline’s debut at Davos. Dovetailing with the World Economic Forum’s overarching theme, “Creating a Shared Future in a Fractured World,” the discussion will address how business leaders can better adapt and implement strategies to promote openness and collaboration. PMI, a founding coalition member of Brightline, is particularly passionate about this topic, given the fact that they focus on collaborating with world-leading organizations to improve infrastructure initiatives in developing and mature communities around the world. “Today the challenges to sustainable growth through strategy implementation
New US Patent for Solidia Technologies’ CO2-cured Concrete Advances Performance and Sustainability of Building Materials19.1.2018 18:07 | Pressemelding
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issued a patent for the structure of CO2-cured Solidia Concrete™, advancing the performance and sustainability of materials available to the global construction and materials industries. Solidia Technologies® holds the exclusive licensing rights to the patent, which is held by Rutgers University, where the original generation of the material was invented. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180119005608/en/ Solidia Concrete™ pavers. (Photo: Business Wire) U.S. Patent No. 9,868,667, "Bonding Element, Bonding Matrix and Composite Material Having the Bonding Element and Method of Manufacturing Thereof," covers the composition of matter of the non-hydraulic concrete. “The hydrate bonds in conventional concrete can compromise that material’s strength and durability,” explained Solidia Chief Technology Officer Nicholas DeCristofaro, Ph.D. “With CO2-cured concrete, bonding elements bas
Schlumberger Announces Full-Year and Fourth-Quarter 2017 Results19.1.2018 12:00 | Pressemelding
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) today reported results for full-year 2017 and the fourth quarter of 2017. Full-Year Results (Stated in millions, except per share amounts) Twelve Months Ended Change Dec. 31, 2017 Dec. 31, 2016 Year-on-year Revenue $30,440 $27,810 9% Pretax operating income $3,921 $3,273 20% Pretax operating margin 12.9% 11.8% 111 bps Net loss (GAAP basis) $(1,505) $(1,687) n/m Net income, excluding charges and credits* $2,085 $1,550 35% Diluted EPS (loss per share) (GAAP basis) $(1.08) $(1.24) n/m Diluted EPS, excluding charges and credits* $1.50 $1.14 32% *These are non-GAAP financial measures. See section below entitled "Charges & Credits" for details. n/m = not meaningful Full-year 2017 revenue of $30.4 billion increased 9% year-on-year. This included a full year’s activity from the acquired Cameron businesses as compared to three quarters of activity in 2016. Excluding the addition of Cameron, revenue growth was driven by land activity in North America, which increa
The Coca-Cola Company Announces New Global Vision to Help Create a World Without Waste19.1.2018 11:55 | Pressemelding
The Coca-Cola Company announced today that it is fundamentally reshaping its approach to packaging, with a global goal to help collect and recycle the equivalent of 100% of its packaging by 2030. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180119005104/en/ In 2017, employees from Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Co. joined with other volunteers in St. Louis to collect and sort 14,480 pounds of debris; 63 percent was diverted for recycling. Coca-Cola then partnered with manufacturer Phoenix Technologies to convert plastic bottles into recycled PET plastic for use in new bottles. (Photo: Business Wire) This goal is the centerpiece of the Company’s new packaging vision for a World Without Waste, which the Coca-Cola system intends to back with a multi-year investment that includes ongoing work to make packaging 100% recyclable. This begins with the understanding that food and beverage containers are an important part of people’s m
Researchers and Scientists from Five Countries Named Winners of King Faisal Prize 201819.1.2018 10:33 | Pressemelding
Five researchers and scientists from Malaysia, Jordan, Tunisia, the US and the UK have been named winners of the King Faisal Prize 2018 as the 40th edition of the renowned award recognized their distinguished contributions towards humanity. The Prize honours exceptional achievements in five categories: Service to Islam, Islamic Studies, Arabic Language & Literature, Medicine, and Science. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180119005245/en/ His Royal Highness Prince Khalid Al-Faisal, Chairman of King Faisal Prize Board, Abdulaziz (Photo: AETOSWire) Professor Irwandi Jaswir, Deputy Dean of the International Institute for Halal Research and Training (INHART) and Secretary of Council of Professors at the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), has been named the winner in the Service to Islam category for contributions to the development of ‘Halal Science’ and Halal food and consumer goods. Professor Bashar
E.ON Chooses Corinex Broadband over Powerline Technology for their Smart Metering Rollout19.1.2018 06:00 | Pressemelding
E.ON, an international energy company that serves 32 million customers across multiple countries, has decided to use broadband over powerline (BPL) as the key technology in their communication mix, in the smart metering communication infrastructure for the low voltage part of their grid. E.ON chose Corinex as the solution provider for the initial two years of the deployment. The initial deployment will be several ten thousands of repeaters and head ends providing secure communication for a couple of hundred thousands of households. Corinex Grid Value network management based on IBM Tivoli platform will manage the network. “After extensive field trials, we found that Corinex broadband over powerline technology meets our requirements for mass rollout of smart metering services. We are convinced BPL is ideally suited to address the needs of many other utilities, so E.ON is interested in supporting BPL industry standardization in order to create a broad ecosystem of silicon and system vend
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom