Alibaba’s Enhanced IP Protection Platform Now Eliminates Fake Listings in Less Than 24 Hours
At its Brand Rights Holders Day in Beijing, Alibaba Group (NYSE:BABA) today unveiled enhancements to its Intellectual Property Protection (IPP) Platform. In the first month since the “express” technology enhancements were made, almost all cases submitted by rights holders were handled and closed within 24 hours, among which more than 80% of the listings were also taken down. Alibaba’s IP Protection Platform is used by brands and IP owners to flag and request the take down of counterfeit or IP-infringing product listings.
Key highlights of Alibaba’s IP Protection Platform technology upgrades include:
- A single entry point across all Alibaba e-commerce platforms and streamlined process to assess the validity of complaints;
- A more-automated complaints-processing, analysis, and product-authentication system powered by new algorithms and data models;
- A dedicated team of IPR professionals to reduce response time for inbound inquiries, as well as proactive outreach to new IPP users and those with more complicated IPR cases;
- Broader brand-protection technological capabilities, for instance, multi-lingual trademark-recognition; and
- Improved search engine optimization (SEO) for easier discovery of and access to the IPP platform.
Of the complaints received, 96% were handled and closed within 24 hours, among which 83% of the listings were also taken down. The remaining 17% were declined mainly for reasons such as insufficient evidence to prove infringement or a mismatch between the complained listing and IP documents filed.
To ensure continuous improvements to the IPP Platform, Alibaba will conduct regular satisfaction surveys and invite rights holders to provide feedback about their user experience.
Building Trust with Brands and Rights Holders
At the Brand Rights Holders Day, Alibaba engaged with the 180 brand representatives to discuss ways to further improve online and offline IP protection and build up mutual trust.
“Brand trust is core to our mission,” said Jessie Zheng, Alibaba’s chief platform governance officer. “Our enhanced platform, along with significant progress in other important initiatives all showcase the industry best practices Alibaba is creating for the benefit of all our stakeholders.”
The Brand Right Holders Day event and platform upgrade received positive feedback from participating brands, who said they gained more in-depth knowledge and understanding about the IP-protection tools at their disposal.
“As a long-standing partner of Alibaba’s, I’m impressed with the technology upgrades to the platform we saw today, and appreciate Alibaba’s openness about its processes and willingness to seek our input on how to better work together. As a brand, I learned a lot, which instills our continued trust in Alibaba to protect our IP,” said Jessica Guo, Senior Legal Manager, Spalding.
Additional Significant Progress in IP Protection Reported
The operator of the world’s largest online and mobile marketplaces also shared recent progress made in furthering brand and stakeholder collaboration, law-enforcement partnerships and legal action against IPR infringers. Highlights included:
- A significant agreement by Alibaba Group and French luxury group Kering last week to cooperate in efforts to protect intellectual property and take joint enforcement actions online and offline against infringers.
Day in July, where Alibaba and IPR agencies – who work on
behalf of rights holders to protect their IP – met to share
experiences, best practices and discuss how to best work together to
protect rights holders’ IP.
"The willingness to cooperate, to talk directly with customers…and find real solutions to the problems we face, this is something hard to find in other marketplaces,” said Joan Porta, online brand protection manager at Red Points. “Having someone you can talk to, bring your problems to and get effective responses from, Alibaba is clearly in a top position among marketplaces."
- Creation of the Alibaba Anti-Counterfeiting Alliance (AACA) , a collaboration between Alibaba and 30 international and Chinese brands that leverages big data and the latest technologies to enable a cooperative, global, 24-hour anti-counterfeiting network. Members include Louis Vuitton, Samsung, Amway and Mars, among others. Since its formation in January, the AACA has met twice and is making tangible progress towards its goals. Another meeting is scheduled for September.
- Formation last month of the “ Cloud Sword Alliance ,” a partnership with provincial governments of 13 Chinese provinces, providing law-enforcement bodies with data to track down and prosecute criminal rings and activities. This broader alliance grew out of a single, four-month cooperative investigation with provincial law-enforcement authorities in 2015. The technology behind Cloud Sword involves complex algorithms and machine learning from Alibaba’s technological ecosystem. The technology is able to track not just illegal transactions, but also trace them upstream to the production source.
- A legal victory against a seller of fake cat food on Taobao, with a Shanghai court last month ordering the IPR infringer to pay damages. The case was one of three civil suits Alibaba has lodged against IPR violators on its platforms so far this year. At the start of the year, Alibaba sued two Taobao vendors for selling fake Swarovski watches. And in May, Alibaba went to court to seek damages against a Taobao vendor who was previously convicted of trademark violation by selling fake Wuliangye-branded spirits.
- Proactive monitoring for improper use of branded keywords. Since last year, Alibaba has focused on cracking down on merchants who attempt to mislead consumers through misappropriation of branded keywords in the titles of product listings. Alibaba continues to use advanced algorithms to identify, block and remove them and root out repeat offenders, and results are showing. Valid complaints about misuse of trademark keywords decreased 84% through July this year from a year earlier.
About Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group's mission is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company aims to build the future infrastructure of commerce. It envisions that its customers will meet, work and live at Alibaba, and that it will be a company that lasts at least 102 years.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
AURAK Gains SACSCOC Accreditation15.12.2018 10:49 | Pressemelding
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) officially announced the accreditation of the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) at its 2018 Annual Meeting which was held in New Orleans, Louisiana, in the United States of America. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181215005017/en/ AURAK delegation during the SACSCOC conference in New Orleans” (Photo: AETOSWire) SACSCOC, the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern United States, has a membership of more than 800 institutions in the Southern states and other international sites approved by SACSCOC that award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and/or doctoral degrees. SACSCOC also awards accreditation to other international institutions of higher education that satisfy all its requirements and demonstrate compliance with its accreditation standards. AURAK now
Lehman Brothers Treasury Announces Plans for Partial Wind-Down14.12.2018 17:41 | Pressemelding
Lehman Brothers Treasury Co. B.V. in liquidation (“LBT”) today, through its U.S. counsel Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, announced that LBT is planning a final cash distribution to its creditors. Professional holders of eligible notes will have the option to retain their investment by electing to receive substitute notes of one (or a few) series. Such election shall take place through a solicitation process. As a consequence, LBT will be able to reduce the number of series of notes outstanding from more than 3,700 to one or a few. Noteholders electing to receive substitute notes will be afforded the same economic entitlement to distributions received by LBT from Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. (“LBHI”) through the substitute notes. The substitute notes will be denominated in U.S. dollars and future distributions will be made in U.S. dollars only. Noteholders who are not professional investors, or hold notes that are not eligible for substitution, or do not elect to receive substitut
Takeda Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for ADCETRIS® (brentuximab vedotin) for the Treatment of Adult Patients with Previously Untreated CD30+ Stage IV Hodgkin Lymphoma in Combination with AVD14.12.2018 17:00 | Pressemelding
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE: 4502) today announced that the European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) adopted a positive opinion for the extension of the marketing authorization of ADCETRIS (brentuximab vedotin) and recommended its approval in combination with AVD in adult patients with previously untreated CD30+ Stage IV Hodgkin lymphoma. ADCETRIS is an antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) directed at CD30, a defining marker of Hodgkin lymphoma. ADCETRIS is currently not approved as a therapy for previously untreated Hodgkin lymphoma in Europe. “For a large number of previously untreated Hodgkin lymphoma patients diagnosed with Stage IV disease, progression will occur with current treatments, highlighting a true unmet need in this population,” said Anna Sureda, M.D., Ph.D., Head of the Hematology Department and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Programme, Institut Català d'Oncologia - Hospital Duran i Reynals. “In the ECHELON-1 cl
Diamond CBD, POTN Subsidiary, Enters the $46 Billion Coffee Market With the Release of Premium Line of CBD-Infused Coffee & Tea K-Kup Capsules14.12.2018 15:42 | Pressemelding
Diamond CBD Inc., wholly owned subsidiary of PotNetwork Holdings, Inc. (OTC Pink: POTN), a leader in hemp extraction and innovative CBD products for the wellness market, enters the Coffee segment, an industry expected to reach revenues of $46 Billion in 2018. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181214005308/en/ Experience a cup of Chill (Photo: Business Wire) Produced in accordance with a universal K-Cup design, these pods fit in almost all modern single cup coffee makers, making it an easily integrated enhancement to any environment, delivering 25mgs of CBD in a tasty favorite beverage at less than $5 per cup. This new line of premium Chill Coffee Capsules was recently added to the Company’s broad range of cannabinoid and natural hemp products. Each box comes with 4 individual capsules in original chill coffee, decaf chill coffee, chill black tea, and chill green tea flavors. The unit price for each box is $10.00
Henley & Partners Enlarges Executive Committee to Manage Expansion and Growth14.12.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
Residence- and citizenship-by-investment programs have firmly established themselves over the past few years as the new frontier in terms of freedom, flexibility, and future-readiness, both for the countries issuing these programs and for the individual investors participating in them. The societal and economic value these programs generate is undisputed. The investment migration industry as a whole is currently grossing roughly USD 18 billion per year, with an expectation that it will hit the USD 20 billion mark very soon. Foreign direct investment (FDI) is now considered the lifeblood of economic growth for many developing and recovering smaller countries around the world. As such, the number of investment migration programs has been increasing rapidly, from just a handful of programs in the 1980s and 1990s to over 100 countries that now have investment migration provisions in their laws. There are more than 60 active programs today, with Moldova and Montenegro — both fast-growing Eu
Vargatef® plus docetaxel could be an option after failure of immunotherapy in lung cancer14.12.2018 09:07 | Pressemelding
Boehringer Ingelheim announced today the first interim results of VARGADO, an ongoing non-interventional study in routine clinical practice in Germany evaluating the efficacy and safety of Vargatef® (nintedanib) and docetaxel in patients with stage III/IV locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) of adenocarcinoma histology. The study consists of three cohorts, two of which allow for prior treatment with immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) either in combination with chemotherapy in the first-line or as monotherapy in the second-line of treatment. The interim results from Cohort B (first-line chemotherapy, second-line immune checkpoint inhibitors, third-line Vargatef® plus docetaxel) were presented today at ESMO Immuno-Oncology Congress 2018 in Geneva.1 Despite a limited sample size, the VARGADO study adds to the body of evidence for nintedanib in lung adenocarcinoma following pre-treatment with chemotherapy and ICIs.1,3 The addition of nintedanib to docetaxel ha