Alibaba’s Enhanced IP Protection Platform Now Eliminates Fake Listings in Less Than 24 Hours
At its Brand Rights Holders Day in Beijing, Alibaba Group (NYSE:BABA) today unveiled enhancements to its Intellectual Property Protection (IPP) Platform. In the first month since the “express” technology enhancements were made, almost all cases submitted by rights holders were handled and closed within 24 hours, among which more than 80% of the listings were also taken down. Alibaba’s IP Protection Platform is used by brands and IP owners to flag and request the take down of counterfeit or IP-infringing product listings.
Key highlights of Alibaba’s IP Protection Platform technology upgrades include:
- A single entry point across all Alibaba e-commerce platforms and streamlined process to assess the validity of complaints;
- A more-automated complaints-processing, analysis, and product-authentication system powered by new algorithms and data models;
- A dedicated team of IPR professionals to reduce response time for inbound inquiries, as well as proactive outreach to new IPP users and those with more complicated IPR cases;
- Broader brand-protection technological capabilities, for instance, multi-lingual trademark-recognition; and
- Improved search engine optimization (SEO) for easier discovery of and access to the IPP platform.
Of the complaints received, 96% were handled and closed within 24 hours, among which 83% of the listings were also taken down. The remaining 17% were declined mainly for reasons such as insufficient evidence to prove infringement or a mismatch between the complained listing and IP documents filed.
To ensure continuous improvements to the IPP Platform, Alibaba will conduct regular satisfaction surveys and invite rights holders to provide feedback about their user experience.
Building Trust with Brands and Rights Holders
At the Brand Rights Holders Day, Alibaba engaged with the 180 brand representatives to discuss ways to further improve online and offline IP protection and build up mutual trust.
“Brand trust is core to our mission,” said Jessie Zheng, Alibaba’s chief platform governance officer. “Our enhanced platform, along with significant progress in other important initiatives all showcase the industry best practices Alibaba is creating for the benefit of all our stakeholders.”
The Brand Right Holders Day event and platform upgrade received positive feedback from participating brands, who said they gained more in-depth knowledge and understanding about the IP-protection tools at their disposal.
“As a long-standing partner of Alibaba’s, I’m impressed with the technology upgrades to the platform we saw today, and appreciate Alibaba’s openness about its processes and willingness to seek our input on how to better work together. As a brand, I learned a lot, which instills our continued trust in Alibaba to protect our IP,” said Jessica Guo, Senior Legal Manager, Spalding.
Additional Significant Progress in IP Protection Reported
The operator of the world’s largest online and mobile marketplaces also shared recent progress made in furthering brand and stakeholder collaboration, law-enforcement partnerships and legal action against IPR infringers. Highlights included:
- A significant agreement by Alibaba Group and French luxury group Kering last week to cooperate in efforts to protect intellectual property and take joint enforcement actions online and offline against infringers.
Day in July, where Alibaba and IPR agencies – who work on
behalf of rights holders to protect their IP – met to share
experiences, best practices and discuss how to best work together to
protect rights holders’ IP.
"The willingness to cooperate, to talk directly with customers…and find real solutions to the problems we face, this is something hard to find in other marketplaces,” said Joan Porta, online brand protection manager at Red Points. “Having someone you can talk to, bring your problems to and get effective responses from, Alibaba is clearly in a top position among marketplaces."
- Creation of the Alibaba Anti-Counterfeiting Alliance (AACA) , a collaboration between Alibaba and 30 international and Chinese brands that leverages big data and the latest technologies to enable a cooperative, global, 24-hour anti-counterfeiting network. Members include Louis Vuitton, Samsung, Amway and Mars, among others. Since its formation in January, the AACA has met twice and is making tangible progress towards its goals. Another meeting is scheduled for September.
- Formation last month of the “ Cloud Sword Alliance ,” a partnership with provincial governments of 13 Chinese provinces, providing law-enforcement bodies with data to track down and prosecute criminal rings and activities. This broader alliance grew out of a single, four-month cooperative investigation with provincial law-enforcement authorities in 2015. The technology behind Cloud Sword involves complex algorithms and machine learning from Alibaba’s technological ecosystem. The technology is able to track not just illegal transactions, but also trace them upstream to the production source.
- A legal victory against a seller of fake cat food on Taobao, with a Shanghai court last month ordering the IPR infringer to pay damages. The case was one of three civil suits Alibaba has lodged against IPR violators on its platforms so far this year. At the start of the year, Alibaba sued two Taobao vendors for selling fake Swarovski watches. And in May, Alibaba went to court to seek damages against a Taobao vendor who was previously convicted of trademark violation by selling fake Wuliangye-branded spirits.
- Proactive monitoring for improper use of branded keywords. Since last year, Alibaba has focused on cracking down on merchants who attempt to mislead consumers through misappropriation of branded keywords in the titles of product listings. Alibaba continues to use advanced algorithms to identify, block and remove them and root out repeat offenders, and results are showing. Valid complaints about misuse of trademark keywords decreased 84% through July this year from a year earlier.
About Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group's mission is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company aims to build the future infrastructure of commerce. It envisions that its customers will meet, work and live at Alibaba, and that it will be a company that lasts at least 102 years.
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
BCW Names Jillian Janaczek New York Market Leader19.9.2018 15:50 | Pressemelding
BCW (Burson Cohn & Wolfe), a leading global communications agency, today announced Jillian Janaczek has been named Executive Vice President, Managing Director, Market Leader for New York, the firm’s largest market globally. In her new role, she will manage talent and operations of the firm’s headquarters office, maintain key client relationships and help drive business growth across all industry sectors. Rachi Govil will assume the role of Executive Vice President, Managing Director, New York Healthcare Practice Leader. “Jillian is a veteran communications professional and leader with deep experience running and growing multimillion dollar clients and large teams,” said Chris Foster, President, North America, BCW, to whom Janaczek will report. “She is also deeply committed to finding and nurturing the best talent in the business. Jillian will be an invaluable partner to me and to our entire organization as she builds the business in our largest market.” Before this role, Janaczek spent
District Court in Rotterdam (Netherlands), Accepts Jurisdiction in Securities Fraud Litigation against Petrobras19.9.2018 15:11 | Pressemelding
On January 23, 2017, Stichting Petrobras Compensation Foundation (the “Foundation”) initiated an international collective action for Petrobras investors who purchased Petrobras securities outside of the United States and have suffered damages as a consequence of fraud that was uncovered by the “Lavo Jato” or “Operation Car Wash” investigations at the Brazilian petrochemical company that was once the 5th largest company in the world. Petrobras has structured a significant part of its assets through the Netherlands and one of the entities issuing Petrobras securities (Petrobras Global Finance B.V.) is based in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Moreover Petrobras is benefiting from the Dutch tax environment and Dutch investment protection treaties. Despite its strong nexus with the Dutch jurisdiction, Petrobras strongly contested the jurisdiction of the District Court in Rotterdam. Today the District Court in Rotterdam ruled in favor of the Foundation by accepting jurisdiction. Also the Court r
TRAXENS Digital Freight Train Honored as « Coup De Cœur » By ERCI Innovation Awards IoT Based Solution Presented At InnoTrans 201819.9.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
TRAXENS today announced that ERCI Eurail Clusters has named TRAXENS DIGITAL FREIGHT TRAIN, Europe's first Freight Train to use an innovative IoT-based system allowing digitalization of operations, the winner of their « Coup de Cœur » Innovation Award. The prize has been given to the company at the InnoTrans 2018 tradeshow in Berlin. Initially launched with Fret SNCF, the TRAXENS DIGITAL FREIGHT TRAIN solution is based on smart devices capable of communicating with each other using wireless digital network. TRAXENS solution goes beyond smart wagons to connect the entire train offering new high-value-added services. Inherited from the Shipping Industry, TRAXENS DIGITAL FREIGHT TRAIN has been designed to work worldwide and manage any type of asset (e.g., Dry or Reefer container, wagon, trailer) which means that rail freight can be connected to the rest of the supplier chain anywhere, to explore and leverage door-to-door multimodal applications. « This industry recognition is a major miles
WilsonHCG Recognized as a Top Global RPO Provider in HRO Today Baker's Dozen for Eighth Year in a Row19.9.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
WilsonHCG, a multi-award winning global leader in innovative talent solutions, has once again been recognized in HRO Today magazine's annual RPO Baker's Dozen list. It’s the eighth year in a row the company has been honored for its exemplary partnership with its clients. WilsonHCG was one of only two providers to see an increase in client satisfaction scores. The Baker’s Dozen highlights the top recruitment process outsourcing (RPO) providers on a global level and is based solely on feedback from buyers. It’s one of the most distinguished customer satisfaction surveys in the RPO industry and service providers are rated on a variety of factors including size-of-deal, breadth of solutions, and quality of service. “We’re extremely proud to be ranked in the Baker’s Dozen for the eighth year in a row. It showcases WilsonHCG’s commitment to clients and is a testament to the effort that each and every one of our people put in on a daily basis,” says John Wilson, CEO at WilsonHCG. “We’re thank
Sharjah Announces its First Fully Integrated Investors Services Centre19.9.2018 13:36 | Pressemelding
In a bid to support prospective foreign investors expand their international growth ambition in the UAE, its third largest emirate, Sharjah, has announced the launch of a digitally robust business facilitation initiative, the Investors Services Centre. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180919005444/en/ General photo of Sharjah (Photo: Shurooq) The emirate’s investment and development authority, Shurooq, has partnered with Injazat Services, to develop this high-end facility to offer an exhaustive list of fully integrated business consultancy services, which will specially benefit new players on the UAE turf. The office will serve as a key access point for global business owners and investors in Sharjah, and serviced by a highly trained staff, will play an integral role in facilitating high-level and mid-level investments across a variety of sectors within the emirate. Through this service centre, investors will b
ISACA Research: Only 4 in 10 Tech Professionals Confident in Security of Their Organizations’ AI Deployments19.9.2018 13:00 | Pressemelding
Despite heightened interest in enterprise deployment of artificial intelligence, only 40 percent of respondents to ISACA’s second annual Digital Transformation Barometer express confidence that their organizations can accurately assess the security of systems based on AI and machine learning. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180919005423/en/ ISACA's 2018 Digital Transformation Barometer looks at companies' digital transformation journeys, including the technologies with the biggest impacts and the positive effect of digitally literate leaders. (Graphic: Business Wire) This becomes especially striking given the potential for serious consequences from maliciously trained AI; survey respondents identify social engineering, manipulated media content and data poisoning as the types of malicious AI attacks that pose the greatest threat within the next five years. AI/machine learning also continued to rise toward the