Alexion Employees Volunteer Together to Enhance Their Local Communities during Second Annual Global Day of Service
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) announced that more than 1,300 employees are rallying together in support of community service initiatives focused on health, wellness, and education as part of the Company’s second annual Global Day of Service. Alexion has partnered with non-profit organizations in nearly 30 of the Company’s local communities across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Australia to coordinate service projects that will have a positive impact on neighborhoods and people in need. Volunteers will beautify facilities, hold educational and training workshops, prepare meals and care packages, and much more.
“At Alexion, we are committed to enriching the communities where we live and work as we pursue our mission of developing and delivering life-changing therapies for patients with rare diseases,” said Ludwig Hantson, Chief Executive Officer of Alexion. “We are excited to build on the success and momentum of last year’s inaugural Global Day of Service with our second annual event that supports our company values and tackles some of the most pressing needs in our local neighborhoods.”
In 2016, Alexion employees provided more than 7,500 service hours to communities around the world during its first Global Day of Service. Activities included beautifying local schools, parks, and homeless shelters; preparing meals for families and individuals facing an illness; and leading activities for adults and children with special needs.
Alexion’s second annual Global Day of Service activities include:
- New Haven, CT: Transforming the Celentano Biotech, Health, and Medical Magnet School and Wallingford Emergency Shelter, a program of Columbus House, by building new furniture, painting murals, landscaping, and more. Volunteers will also pack meals for Rise Against Hunger and assemble kits for people spending their first night at a homeless shelter.
- Boston, MA: Volunteering at the Community Academy of Science and Health, where employees will coach students on career development, paint murals, and assemble furniture.
- Holden, MA: Working with the Be Like Brit Foundation, an organization dedicated to serving the children of Haiti, to organize and package items to be sent to an orphanage in Haiti.
- Smithfield, RI: Returning to Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School to beautify the interior and exterior of the school as well as coordinate a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fair.
- Bogart, GA: Partnering with Extra Special People to work at a camp for children with developmental disabilities.
- Washington, DC: Partnering with Martha’s Table at the Joyful Food Market, a monthly community event designed to reduce hunger and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Waterproofing the roof of DAYA, a foster home that supports at-risk adolescent girls, and playing volleyball and planting a vegetable garden with the residents.
- Vaughan, Canada: Volunteering at the Yellow Brick House, a non-profit organization that offers shelter, counseling, and other services to women and children who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Participating in a variety of activities including visiting the Zurich Zoo with children suffering from rare diseases in partnership with the Foundation for People with Rare Diseases (KMSK); playing bingo with the inhabitants of two retirement centers in Zurich (Alterszentrum Herzogenmühle and Sydefädeli); and partnering with Foundation St. Jakob to work with people with impairments in a local bakery and packaging facility.
- London, UK: Participating in a beautification project at Sweet Tree Farming for All, a facility for children and young adults with a variety of care and support needs.
- Birmingham, UK: Participating in arts and crafts and Christmas present wrapping at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Dublin, Ireland: Painting at Coolmine Therapeutic Centre, a rehabilitation center.
- Athlone, Ireland: Helping to transform the Midlands Simon Community homeless emergency accommodation.
- Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Grupo AMAS, an organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual disabilities, to participate in an improvisation workshop called Theater for Inclusion.
- Barcelona, Spain: Teaming up with Fundacio Finestrelles, an organization that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities, to improve the grounds and hold educational workshops.
- Belgium and The Netherlands: Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities at Kampenhoeve de STER, an animal therapy center that serves children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Milan, Italy: Planting ginkgo biloba trees at a local park.
- Rome, Italy: Cleaning up a local park, maintaining benches, and planting.
- Munich, Germany: Participating in a variety of local volunteer projects, including furnishing and decorating schools, preparing and distributing meals, providing science and health education workshops, and assisting in a repair shop run by disabled individuals.
- Prague, Czech Republic: Partnering with the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy of St. Charles Borromeo to prepare Christmas cakes that will be sold during fundraising events for the hospital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Partnering with Dar al Ber Society, a humanitarian network, to collect food and other items for people in need.
- Shanghai, China: Participating in a charity run to raise funds to provide meals for students in rural and impoverished areas.
- Tokyo, Japan: Teaming up with Arakawa Clean Fund to take part in a river clean-up project; gardening and arranging a petting zoo for children at Keifuku Ikujikai Azabus Infants' Home; and hosting an after-school cooking class for local children with disabilities at the School Center Himawari Batake.
- Mumbai, India: Hosting a fun and educational event for children from underserved communities.
- Istanbul, Turkey: Hosting cooking and art workshops for Dusler Akademisi, an organization that provides cultural and artistic training free of charge for disabled and socially disadvantaged youth.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Painting and repairing a health center.
- Bogota, Colombia: Participating in beautification projects that include painting and cleaning at Pasquilla School, an under-served local school.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Providing support to Hogar Cura Brochero, an organization that offers services and asylum for the homeless.
- Frenchs Forest, Australia: Joining OzHarvest’s “Cooking for a Cause” cooking class to transform rescued food into restaurant-quality meals that are then delivered to local communities in need.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition and has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). In addition, Alexion has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). As the leader in complement biology for over 20 years, Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade, and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. This press release and further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kim Diamond, 475-230-3775
Executive Director, Corporate Communications
Mandy Fahey, 475-230-3778
Director, Corporate Communications
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Thales and Gemalto Are Granted Regulatory Clearance from the Competition Commission in South Africa16.10.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
Regulatory News: Reference is made to the joint press release by Thales (Euronext Paris: HO) and Gemalto (Euronext Amsterdam and Paris: GTO) dated 27 March 2018 in relation to the launch of the recommended all-cash offer by Thales for all the issued and outstanding shares of Gemalto (the “Offer”), the publication of the Offer Document, and the joint press release of Thales and Gemalto dated 10 August 2018 in relation to the further extension of the Acceptance Period. Terms not defined in this press release will have the meaning as set forth in the Offer Document. Thales and Gemalto today announce that they have received Regulatory Clearance from the Competition Commission in South Africa. Together with the antitrust clearances obtained in China, Israel and Turkey, and clearances relating to foreign investments in Australia, Canada and the USA (CFIUS), Thales and Gemalto have now obtained 7 of the required 14 Regulatory Clearances. Thales and Gemalto continue to work constructively with
Event Software Company Aventri Acquires ITN International16.10.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
Leading event management software company Aventri announced the acquisition of ITN International, the industry leader in NFC, mobile and cloud-based technology. With the acquisition of ITN, Aventri will broaden its technology and service offerings, expanding its global reach and the events that they support. Servicing annually 125 events, 10,000 exhibitors and 1.5 million attendees, ITN serves event producers by combining technology with personalized professional services to optimize events. A look at their product set includes: Online registration system with speaker management, agenda builder, session scheduling, and more. Onsite services include NFC badges, check-in stations, lead retrieval, apps, RFID scanning and more. Data visualization tools with advanced reporting and analytics around registration, badge activity and scans. “The acquisition of ITN as a global provider of cloud-based event management solutions is a major growth opportunity for Aventri,” says Oni Chukwu, CEO of A
Piraeus Bank Finances the Development of Thriassio Transit Center16.10.2018 15:39 | Pressemelding
Piraeus Bank will finance the development of the Thriassio Transit Center, which will help increase freight transport by rail and promote Greece as a major freight hub in the trans-European transport network. The Center will significantly increase freight transport by rail and promote Greece as a major freight hub in the trans-European transport network. It will contribute to the provision of upgraded services while also reducing transport costs, which are key factors in lowering the final price of products, having a direct positive impact on the competitiveness of the economy and GDP growth. The project is also expected to boost local employment, creating up to 5,000 jobs over the next 10 years. The new Thriasio Transit Center is expected to become operational in 2024. Piraeus Bank Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Christos Megalou said: “Piraeus Bank are always looking for suitable investment projects that align with our strategy to be a pillar of stability for the Greek economy and we ar
Inside Secure’s Latest Whitebox Software Security Tool Brings Mobile Developers New Levels of Protection, Performance and Control16.10.2018 15:36 | Pressemelding
Regulatory News: Inside Secure (Paris:INSD), at the heart of security solutions for mobile and connected devices, today announced general availability of its Whitebox 3.0 software crypto-security tool that protects cryptographic keys and algorithms inside mobile applications that demand top-notch security. Inherently running in an exposed environment, mobile applications are susceptible to attackers who can then see all the secrets within the app. As a proven innovator in software security, Inside Secure builds on numerous years of successful integrations for top developers to offer the best technology for hiding data and cryptography on mobile devices. Serving as an appealing alternative to an expensive, hardware-dependent Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) or Secure Element (SE) Whitebox 3.0 secures assets with uniquely powerful features that bring industry-changing gains in performance and flexibility – key traits that developers demand. Inside Secure’s pure software approach means
LTI and PTC Unveil IoT Center of Excellence16.10.2018 14:42 | Pressemelding
Larsen & Toubro Infotech Ltd. (NSE: LTI, BSE: 540005), a global technology consulting and digital solutions company, in alliance with USA-based PTC Inc., today unveiled a state-of-the-art Center of Excellence (CoE) in Bengaluru, focused on Internet of Things (IoT)-based innovations. The CoE will focus specifically on Industry 4.0 solutions in Manufacturing and Oil & Gas sectors. LTI will leverage the CoE to design, build and showcase solutions for smart, connected enterprises, from proof-of-concept to industrialized deployments. The CoE will showcase the possibilities of transformative technologies to global customers, featuring Industrial IoT solutions developed on PTC’s ThingWorx® platform. LTI plans to deploy reusable IoT assets from its real-world experience in implementing enterprise-scale digital transformation solutions for global customers like L&T Construction and other global industrial manufacturing enterprises. A unique feature of the CoE will be the use of real-time data f
A Higher Intelligence: Huawei Unveils HUAWEI Mate 20 Series16.10.2018 14:08 | Pressemelding
Huawei Consumer Business Group (BG) today unveiled the HUAWEI Mate 20 Series. Available in 6.53-inch, 6.39-inch and 7.2-inch sizes, the HUAWEI Mate 20 Series encompasses four devices: HUAWEI Mate 20, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro, HUAWEI Mate 20 X and PORSCHE DESIGN HUAWEI Mate 20 RS. “Smartphones are an important entrance to the digital world. The HUAWEI Mate 20 Series is designed to be the best ‘mate’ of consumers, accompanying and empowering them to enjoy a richer, more fulfilled life with their higher intelligence, unparalleled battery lives and powerful camera performance,” said Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei Consumer BG. Ultimate Performance and Battery Life Manufactured with the cutting-edge 7nm technology process, the Kirin 980 is the world’s first commercial SoC to use the Cortex-A76-based cores and Mali-G76 GPU. The Kirin 980 is also the industry’s first SoC to be equipped with Dual-NPU. In addition, it supports the 4.5G LTE Cat. 21 standard, the world’s fastest Wi-Fi connection speeds, and