Alexion Employees Volunteer Together to Enhance Their Local Communities during Second Annual Global Day of Service
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) announced that more than 1,300 employees are rallying together in support of community service initiatives focused on health, wellness, and education as part of the Company’s second annual Global Day of Service. Alexion has partnered with non-profit organizations in nearly 30 of the Company’s local communities across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Australia to coordinate service projects that will have a positive impact on neighborhoods and people in need. Volunteers will beautify facilities, hold educational and training workshops, prepare meals and care packages, and much more.
“At Alexion, we are committed to enriching the communities where we live and work as we pursue our mission of developing and delivering life-changing therapies for patients with rare diseases,” said Ludwig Hantson, Chief Executive Officer of Alexion. “We are excited to build on the success and momentum of last year’s inaugural Global Day of Service with our second annual event that supports our company values and tackles some of the most pressing needs in our local neighborhoods.”
In 2016, Alexion employees provided more than 7,500 service hours to communities around the world during its first Global Day of Service. Activities included beautifying local schools, parks, and homeless shelters; preparing meals for families and individuals facing an illness; and leading activities for adults and children with special needs.
Alexion’s second annual Global Day of Service activities include:
- New Haven, CT: Transforming the Celentano Biotech, Health, and Medical Magnet School and Wallingford Emergency Shelter, a program of Columbus House, by building new furniture, painting murals, landscaping, and more. Volunteers will also pack meals for Rise Against Hunger and assemble kits for people spending their first night at a homeless shelter.
- Boston, MA: Volunteering at the Community Academy of Science and Health, where employees will coach students on career development, paint murals, and assemble furniture.
- Holden, MA: Working with the Be Like Brit Foundation, an organization dedicated to serving the children of Haiti, to organize and package items to be sent to an orphanage in Haiti.
- Smithfield, RI: Returning to Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School to beautify the interior and exterior of the school as well as coordinate a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fair.
- Bogart, GA: Partnering with Extra Special People to work at a camp for children with developmental disabilities.
- Washington, DC: Partnering with Martha’s Table at the Joyful Food Market, a monthly community event designed to reduce hunger and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Waterproofing the roof of DAYA, a foster home that supports at-risk adolescent girls, and playing volleyball and planting a vegetable garden with the residents.
- Vaughan, Canada: Volunteering at the Yellow Brick House, a non-profit organization that offers shelter, counseling, and other services to women and children who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Participating in a variety of activities including visiting the Zurich Zoo with children suffering from rare diseases in partnership with the Foundation for People with Rare Diseases (KMSK); playing bingo with the inhabitants of two retirement centers in Zurich (Alterszentrum Herzogenmühle and Sydefädeli); and partnering with Foundation St. Jakob to work with people with impairments in a local bakery and packaging facility.
- London, UK: Participating in a beautification project at Sweet Tree Farming for All, a facility for children and young adults with a variety of care and support needs.
- Birmingham, UK: Participating in arts and crafts and Christmas present wrapping at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Dublin, Ireland: Painting at Coolmine Therapeutic Centre, a rehabilitation center.
- Athlone, Ireland: Helping to transform the Midlands Simon Community homeless emergency accommodation.
- Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Grupo AMAS, an organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual disabilities, to participate in an improvisation workshop called Theater for Inclusion.
- Barcelona, Spain: Teaming up with Fundacio Finestrelles, an organization that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities, to improve the grounds and hold educational workshops.
- Belgium and The Netherlands: Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities at Kampenhoeve de STER, an animal therapy center that serves children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Milan, Italy: Planting ginkgo biloba trees at a local park.
- Rome, Italy: Cleaning up a local park, maintaining benches, and planting.
- Munich, Germany: Participating in a variety of local volunteer projects, including furnishing and decorating schools, preparing and distributing meals, providing science and health education workshops, and assisting in a repair shop run by disabled individuals.
- Prague, Czech Republic: Partnering with the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy of St. Charles Borromeo to prepare Christmas cakes that will be sold during fundraising events for the hospital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Partnering with Dar al Ber Society, a humanitarian network, to collect food and other items for people in need.
- Shanghai, China: Participating in a charity run to raise funds to provide meals for students in rural and impoverished areas.
- Tokyo, Japan: Teaming up with Arakawa Clean Fund to take part in a river clean-up project; gardening and arranging a petting zoo for children at Keifuku Ikujikai Azabus Infants' Home; and hosting an after-school cooking class for local children with disabilities at the School Center Himawari Batake.
- Mumbai, India: Hosting a fun and educational event for children from underserved communities.
- Istanbul, Turkey: Hosting cooking and art workshops for Dusler Akademisi, an organization that provides cultural and artistic training free of charge for disabled and socially disadvantaged youth.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Painting and repairing a health center.
- Bogota, Colombia: Participating in beautification projects that include painting and cleaning at Pasquilla School, an under-served local school.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Providing support to Hogar Cura Brochero, an organization that offers services and asylum for the homeless.
- Frenchs Forest, Australia: Joining OzHarvest’s “Cooking for a Cause” cooking class to transform rescued food into restaurant-quality meals that are then delivered to local communities in need.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition and has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). In addition, Alexion has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). As the leader in complement biology for over 20 years, Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade, and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. This press release and further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kim Diamond, 475-230-3775
Executive Director, Corporate Communications
Mandy Fahey, 475-230-3778
Director, Corporate Communications
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
Huawei Brings the All-Connected World to Mobile World Congress25.2.2018 13:30 | Pressemelding
Building on its success in delivering beautifully-designed and powerful high-end mobile devices, Huawei Consumer Business Group (CBG) today unveiled the HUAWEI MateBook X Pro, the HUAWEI MediaPad M5 Series and the HUAWEI 5G customer-premises equipment (CPE), the world’s first commercial terminal device supporting the globally recognized 3GPP telecommunications standard for 5G. With stunning new design updates and outstanding performance advances, Huawei’s new devices showcase the power of technology to deliver innovative computing experiences ready for the mobile world. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180225005135/en/ MateBook X Pro (Photo: Business Wire) “At Huawei, we’re guided by a vision of an all-connected world, and to achieve that goal, we invest significantly in research and development to understand the ways in which people interact and connect with technology,” said Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei CBG. “We’
The 6th Annual World Patient Safety, Science & Technology Summit Kicked off with an Important Announcement about the Progress Being Made to Save Lives in Hospital Settings24.2.2018 10:00 | Pressemelding
The 6th Annual World Patient Safety, Science & Technology Summit kicked off with an important announcement about the progress being made to save lives in hospital settings. Nearly 4,600 hospitals in 44 countries have committed to adopting patient safety processes that are proven to eliminate preventable deaths in hospitals. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180224005027/en/ England’s Health and Social Care Secretary, Rt. Hon. Jeremy Hunt, launches groundbreaking new measures on Day One of the 6th Annual World Patient Safety, Science & Technology held in London (Photo: Business Wire) The Patient Safety Movement Foundation has taken on an inspiring and ambitious goal of reducing preventable patient deaths in hospitals to ZERO by 2020. The annual Summit in central London plays a major role in taking on that challenge with the participation of 300 global leaders, medical experts, medical technology CEOs, and patient
WuQi Technologies is Latest Licensee of CCww’s NB-IoT UE Protocol-Stack Software24.2.2018 09:06 | Pressemelding
Communications Consultants Worldwide Ltd. (CCww), global innovator of 3GPP® technologies, has licensed its NB-IoT protocol-stack software to WuQi Technologies Inc., a leading global developer of highly integrated mixed-signal SoC solutions, and the latest licensee of CCww’s NB-IoT Release 13 UE protocol-stack software. Communications Consultants Worldwide (CCww) is working with WuQi Technologies for the integration of its NB-IoT protocol-stack software onto WuQi Technologies’ highly innovative SoC. This relationship, catalyzed by T2M, is enabling the production of a highly integrated, very low power, NB-IoT SoC chipset targeting IoT Smart City, Smart Home, and wearable applications. CCww’s CEO, Richard Carter, said, “NB-IoT is CCww’s latest cellular Protocol-stack SW. We are excited to be working with WuQi to enable a sector-leading NB-IoT SoC, pushing back boundaries of performance and battery life for the next generation of IoT. See our demonstration at the Mobile World Congress (Hal
IDEMIA and Octo Telematics Reinvent Car Sharing Experience by Adding Facial Recognition to EasyOpen Solution23.2.2018 15:57 | Pressemelding
IDEMIA, the global leader in Augmented Identity for an increasingly digital world, announces today that it has implemented facial recognition technology on EasyOpen, a solution previously developed with its partner Omoove, a wholly-owned Octo Telematics company, Europe’s leading Shared Mobility technology provider. The digital enrolment process combined with facial recognition technology will securely enroll and authenticate the driver before EasyOpen automatically opens the car. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180223005506/en/ (Photo: Idemia) You will never rent a car the same way thanks to EasyOpen solution that combines IDEMIA’s expertise in secure service enablement and Omoove’s experience in Shared Mobility platforms and on-board technology. The first version of the solution was launched last year and allows drivers, who have already registered on the application, to use their smartphones as a key to open
SM-Optics Unveils First FLEXSET Chip, Paving the Way to Optical Micro Nodes23.2.2018 14:00 | Pressemelding
SM-Optics launches FLEXSET, a single chip embedding multiple processing functionalities raising the bar for performances, density and architectural flexibility. The FLEXSET is the heart of the Lightmode product family. FLEXSET OTN switching matrix scales from 300Gbps to 1Tbps and can be addressed by ports spanning from traditional low-speed services like 2Mbps over micro-OTN, to layer2 and layer3 over ODUFlex, 100G over ODU4 and 200G over FlexO. Thanks to its embedded capabilities including multi-technology OAM, packet processing, synchronization and fast protection functions, FLEXSET operates by design at the lowest latency performances and features an Intel Stratix 10 FPGA. Following the launch of micro-OTN, a revolutionary approach to efficiently extend OTN protocol to low speed services, the launch of FLEXSET advances the vision of a highly interconnected metro network and of micro nodes. Revolving around functional block elements, micro nodes collapse in few rack units OTN and pho
Bitcoin Miner HashGains’ Crowdsale to Build Green Cloud Mining Data Centers Receives Excellent Response23.2.2018 13:56 | Pressemelding
HashGains.com, a leading cryptocurrency mining platform, has launched its crowdsale program to build mega cryptocurrency cloud mining data centers in India and Canada which uses renewable energy like wind and solar as source of energy. “With the growing worries around bitcoin mining causing environmental damage, difficulty levels of mining increasing and returns heading southwards, there was no better opportunity but to build green energy data centers which run on free sources of energy like wind and solar, ensuring handsome mining rewards while taking care of environment,” said Mr Anuj Bairathi, CEO & Founder, HashGains, who is crypto enthusiast himself. HashGains is a growing cloud mining platform with more than 10,000 active customers enjoying mining returns and is expected to reach the mark of 1 million customers by 2020. To handle such a massive growth and ever growing demand of customers, it becomes even more important that mega mining centers are planned which can serve needs of