Alexion Employees Volunteer Together to Enhance Their Local Communities during Second Annual Global Day of Service
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) announced that more than 1,300 employees are rallying together in support of community service initiatives focused on health, wellness, and education as part of the Company’s second annual Global Day of Service. Alexion has partnered with non-profit organizations in nearly 30 of the Company’s local communities across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Australia to coordinate service projects that will have a positive impact on neighborhoods and people in need. Volunteers will beautify facilities, hold educational and training workshops, prepare meals and care packages, and much more.
“At Alexion, we are committed to enriching the communities where we live and work as we pursue our mission of developing and delivering life-changing therapies for patients with rare diseases,” said Ludwig Hantson, Chief Executive Officer of Alexion. “We are excited to build on the success and momentum of last year’s inaugural Global Day of Service with our second annual event that supports our company values and tackles some of the most pressing needs in our local neighborhoods.”
In 2016, Alexion employees provided more than 7,500 service hours to communities around the world during its first Global Day of Service. Activities included beautifying local schools, parks, and homeless shelters; preparing meals for families and individuals facing an illness; and leading activities for adults and children with special needs.
Alexion’s second annual Global Day of Service activities include:
- New Haven, CT: Transforming the Celentano Biotech, Health, and Medical Magnet School and Wallingford Emergency Shelter, a program of Columbus House, by building new furniture, painting murals, landscaping, and more. Volunteers will also pack meals for Rise Against Hunger and assemble kits for people spending their first night at a homeless shelter.
- Boston, MA: Volunteering at the Community Academy of Science and Health, where employees will coach students on career development, paint murals, and assemble furniture.
- Holden, MA: Working with the Be Like Brit Foundation, an organization dedicated to serving the children of Haiti, to organize and package items to be sent to an orphanage in Haiti.
- Smithfield, RI: Returning to Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School to beautify the interior and exterior of the school as well as coordinate a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fair.
- Bogart, GA: Partnering with Extra Special People to work at a camp for children with developmental disabilities.
- Washington, DC: Partnering with Martha’s Table at the Joyful Food Market, a monthly community event designed to reduce hunger and increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Waterproofing the roof of DAYA, a foster home that supports at-risk adolescent girls, and playing volleyball and planting a vegetable garden with the residents.
- Vaughan, Canada: Volunteering at the Yellow Brick House, a non-profit organization that offers shelter, counseling, and other services to women and children who are impacted by domestic violence.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Participating in a variety of activities including visiting the Zurich Zoo with children suffering from rare diseases in partnership with the Foundation for People with Rare Diseases (KMSK); playing bingo with the inhabitants of two retirement centers in Zurich (Alterszentrum Herzogenmühle and Sydefädeli); and partnering with Foundation St. Jakob to work with people with impairments in a local bakery and packaging facility.
- London, UK: Participating in a beautification project at Sweet Tree Farming for All, a facility for children and young adults with a variety of care and support needs.
- Birmingham, UK: Participating in arts and crafts and Christmas present wrapping at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Dublin, Ireland: Painting at Coolmine Therapeutic Centre, a rehabilitation center.
- Athlone, Ireland: Helping to transform the Midlands Simon Community homeless emergency accommodation.
- Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Grupo AMAS, an organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual disabilities, to participate in an improvisation workshop called Theater for Inclusion.
- Barcelona, Spain: Teaming up with Fundacio Finestrelles, an organization that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities, to improve the grounds and hold educational workshops.
- Belgium and The Netherlands: Maintaining indoor and outdoor facilities at Kampenhoeve de STER, an animal therapy center that serves children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Milan, Italy: Planting ginkgo biloba trees at a local park.
- Rome, Italy: Cleaning up a local park, maintaining benches, and planting.
- Munich, Germany: Participating in a variety of local volunteer projects, including furnishing and decorating schools, preparing and distributing meals, providing science and health education workshops, and assisting in a repair shop run by disabled individuals.
- Prague, Czech Republic: Partnering with the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy of St. Charles Borromeo to prepare Christmas cakes that will be sold during fundraising events for the hospital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Partnering with Dar al Ber Society, a humanitarian network, to collect food and other items for people in need.
- Shanghai, China: Participating in a charity run to raise funds to provide meals for students in rural and impoverished areas.
- Tokyo, Japan: Teaming up with Arakawa Clean Fund to take part in a river clean-up project; gardening and arranging a petting zoo for children at Keifuku Ikujikai Azabus Infants' Home; and hosting an after-school cooking class for local children with disabilities at the School Center Himawari Batake.
- Mumbai, India: Hosting a fun and educational event for children from underserved communities.
- Istanbul, Turkey: Hosting cooking and art workshops for Dusler Akademisi, an organization that provides cultural and artistic training free of charge for disabled and socially disadvantaged youth.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Painting and repairing a health center.
- Bogota, Colombia: Participating in beautification projects that include painting and cleaning at Pasquilla School, an under-served local school.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Providing support to Hogar Cura Brochero, an organization that offers services and asylum for the homeless.
- Frenchs Forest, Australia: Joining OzHarvest’s “Cooking for a Cause” cooking class to transform rescued food into restaurant-quality meals that are then delivered to local communities in need.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition and has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). In addition, Alexion has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). As the leader in complement biology for over 20 years, Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade, and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. This press release and further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kim Diamond, 475-230-3775
Executive Director, Corporate Communications
Mandy Fahey, 475-230-3778
Director, Corporate Communications
Om Business Wire
(c) 2018 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the global leader in multiplatform press release distribution.
Følg saker fra Business Wire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Business Wire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Business Wire
FCF: Greenpeace Allegations Unfair and Deceptive26.5.2018 18:02 | Pressemelding
FCF Fishery, Co. President Max Chou today released the following statement regarding recent misleading Greenpeace human rights abuse allegations made against the company: “We realize that as one of the world’s largest marine products integrated supply chain service providers with more than 30 subsidiaries, fishing bases, and shipping agents around the world, we are a prime target for organizations seeking to garner publicity and those not fully aware of the latest development and improvements that are currently taking place in the fishery industry. However, in their efforts to curb egregious human rights abuses, we believe it is unfair and deceptive to lump our company in with those who condone cruelty and neglect of their laborers. “Although we recognize the meaningful work of Greenpeace in exposing and eliminating human trafficking and sustainability abuses, we are equally disappointed that they are implicating FCF in old incidents and cases that have since been in all instances addr
NBC Universal, Havas Group and Endemol Shine Discuss a Future with AI, Blockchain and VR at IBC201825.5.2018 18:20 | Pressemelding
As is fitting for the home of technical invention and innovation, IBC2018 will present a broad range of ambitious and timely elements to engage, inform and inspire content creators and owners from around the world that will visit the RAI, Amsterdam from 13-18 September 2018. The must-attend event includes fresh inspiring conference themes that will focus on innovative new platforms, audience engagement and interaction/immersion, as well as a wide-ranging exhibition that will encompass all the latest technologies from AI and VR to advanced cloud-based workflows. Registration for IBC2018 is now open at: https://ibc.itnint.com/IBC18/Online/RegLogin.aspx “The media landscape is evolving at an unprecedented rate, with new platforms, technologies and even new realities at our disposal that offer greater opportunities for content innovation and audience engagement,” said Michael Crimp, CEO, IBC. “IBC is preparing an outstanding programme of conference sessions, forums and exhibition features
Pavilion of France at the 16th International Architecture Exhibition – La Biennale di Venezia25.5.2018 09:26 | Pressemelding
The concept for Infinite Places , developed by the Encore Heureux team, led by the architects Nicola Delon, Julien Choppin, and Sébastien Eymard, presents places produced by new and inventive processes that generate architectural processes of value. This exhibition project, which considers the territory as a whole, highlights initiatives on the part of civil society and communities that embody a certain free spirit of experimentation and the possibilities opened up by architecture. These projects are expressions of programmatic freedom and generosity, and they live up to the theme of Freespace adopted by the two commissioners of the 16th International Architecture Exhibition – La Biennale di Venezia, the Irish architects Yvonne Farrell and Shelly McNamara. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180525005191/en/ French Pavilion Venice Architectural Biennale, copyright S. Scher Statement of the curators « Through the I
SIA Acquires Card Processing Businesses in Central and Southeastern Europe from First Data25.5.2018 08:30 | Pressemelding
SIA, a European high-tech leader in payment infrastructure and services, and First Data Corporation (NYSE: FDC), a global leader in commerce-enabling technology, have signed an agreement for SIA to acquire First Data’s card processing businesses in parts of Central and Southeastern Europe for €375 million. In 2017, these businesses generated a combined revenue of approximately €100 million for First Data. This acquisition by SIA provides card processing, card production, call center and back-office services, including 13.3 million payment cards, 1.4 billion transactions, in addition to the management of POS terminals and ATMs. These businesses are primarily located in 7 countries: Greece, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia. As a result of the transaction, SIA will become a leading player in processing and services in the region. The agreement includes the transfer of about 1,400 First Data employees into SIA. “This acquisition is in line with our strategy to
Westinghouse Accident Tolerant Fuel Development Moves Forward with Cooperation Agreement with ENUSA25.5.2018 06:00 | Pressemelding
Westinghouse Electric Company today announced that it will collaborate in the development of its EnCore® Fuel, the revolutionary accident-tolerant fuel (ATF) design, with ENUSA Industrias Avanzadas (ENUSA) through a Frame Cooperation Agreement (FCA). “This agreement serves to strengthen the technical and commercial relations between ENUSA and Westinghouse as we work to develop leading nuclear fuel technology,” said Torbjörn Norén, European Fuel Group and EMEA Fuel Delivery Director at Westinghouse. “Westinghouse’s work with ENUSA in the Spanish and European Fuel Group markets will help to facilitate agreements with customers to launch EnCore Fuel demonstration programs in their plants.” Under the terms of the agreement, the newly signed FCA establishes the framework that will regulate the different Joint Development Programs (JDPs) to be launched between both companies. The first JDP will evaluate the application of the segmented rod concept and develop models of ATF / EnCore fuel beha
BRIC HOLDING Offers Aimedis – ICO: Germany’s Leading eHealth Platform Goes Public25.5.2018 06:00 | Pressemelding
Since Wednesday, May 16, investors finally have a chance to claim their share of a unique success story, the international market roll-out of Aimedis, by purchasing AIM tokens: AIM tokens are now available with a 20% presale bonus PLUS a 5% early bird-premium only at the Czech investment house BRIC INVEST https://www.bric-holding.com/home_en.html! Aimedis aims to shape the future of healthcare by providing an advanced and fully operational platform, secured by blockchain and supported by AI, that enables patients to take control, secure the exchange of their medical data, access the best healthcare providers, get advice, prescriptions, personal health upgrades and to become part of the health revolution. And we are not talking about the future: The revolutionary Aimedis platform is already deployed as a live working system and is already in use in major hospital groups in Germany! By issuing 300 million AIM tokens at a nominal value of 0,12 USD each, the Aimedis consortium will raise c