Abiomed Announces Q4 FY 2018 Revenue of $174 Million, Up 40%, and Total Year Revenue of $594 Million, Up 33%, Over Prior Year
Total Year Operating Income was $157.1 Million, up 74% Over Prior Year
DANVERS, Mass., May 03, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ABIOMED, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABMD), a leading provider of breakthrough heart recovery and support technologies, today reported fourth quarter fiscal 2018 revenue of $174.4 million, an increase of 40% compared to revenue of $124.7 million for the same period of fiscal 2017. For fiscal year 2018, total revenue was $593.7 million, up 33% compared to revenue of $445.3 million and operating income was $157.1 million, up 74% compared to operating income of $90.1 million in fiscal year 2017.
Recent financial and operating highlights include:
- Worldwide Impella® heart pump revenue for the quarter totaled $168.3 million, an increase of 42% compared to revenue of $118.9 million during the same period of the prior fiscal year. Full year worldwide Impella heart pump revenue totaled $570.9 million for fiscal 2018, an increase of 35% compared to revenue of $423.7 million for the prior year.
- U.S. Impella heart pump revenue for the quarter totaled $146.2 million, an increase of 35% compared to revenue of $108.2 million during the same period in the prior fiscal year with U.S. patient usage of the Impella heart pumps up 35%. Full year U.S. Impella revenue totaled $505.1 million, up 30% compared to $387.5 million in the prior fiscal year with U.S. patient usage of the Impella heart pumps up 32%.
- Outside the U.S., fourth quarter revenue from Impella heart pumps totaled $22.1 million and was up 107% over prior year, predominantly from Germany, which recorded $15.0 million, up 95% over prior year. Full year revenue from Impella heart pumps outside of the U.S. totaled $65.7 million and was up 81% year over year, predominantly from Germany, which recorded $45.2 million, up 70%. Additionally, the Company began its commercial launch in Japan in September and recorded $2.9 million in revenue for the fiscal year 2018.
- Gross margin for fourth quarter 2018 was 82.7% compared to 84.6% in the fourth quarter of prior fiscal year. For the full fiscal year 2018, gross margin was 83.4% compared to 84.1% in the prior year.
- Operating income for the fourth quarter was $47.6 million, or 27.3% operating margin, compared to $29.0 million, or 23.3% operating margin in the prior year. For the full fiscal year 2018, operating income was $157.1 million, or 26.5% of revenue, compared to $90.1 million, or 20.2% of revenue in the prior fiscal year.
- Fourth quarter fiscal 2018 GAAP net income was $36.8 million or $0.80 per diluted share compared to $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share for the prior fiscal year. Full fiscal year 2018 GAAP net income was $112.2 million or $2.45 per diluted share compared to $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share for the prior fiscal year.
- The Company generated $49.1 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018, bringing the total to $399.8 million as of March 31, 2018. The Company currently has no debt.
- On February 13, 2018, the Company received approval for an expanded FDA indication for cardiomyopathy, including peripartum cardiomyopathy and myocarditis, with cardiogenic shock and announced Abiomed's Women's Initiative for Heart Recovery.
- On February 14, 2018, the Company received approval for an expanded FDA indication for high risk percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedures for severely complex patients with mild, moderate and severely depressed ejection fraction.
- On March 30, 2018, the Company appointed new Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Todd A. Trapp.
- On April 2, 2018, the Company received FDA approval for Impella CP® with SmartAssist(TM) and Optical Sensor.
- On April 4, 2018, the Company announced European Approval (CE Marking) for Impella 5.5(TM) and first patient treated at University Heart Center Hamburg in Germany.
"Abiomed delivered another record quarter and fiscal year. I am proud of our Patients First execution and operational discipline from research to manufacturing to customer support. We earned multiple global regulatory approvals in the US, Germany and Japan on new products, new indications and reimbursement," said Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, ABIOMED, Inc. "Fiscal 2019 is positioned to be another outstanding year and we appreciate the investment from our shareholders. I am also grateful to the dedicated employees and customers that have enabled us to serve our patients and achieve our corporate goals around heart recovery."
FISCAL YEAR 2019 OUTLOOK
The Company is giving its fiscal year 2019 guidance for total revenues to be in the range of $740 million to $770 million, an increase of 25% to 30% over the prior year. The Company is also giving its fiscal year 2019 guidance for GAAP operating margin to be in the range of 28% to 30%.
EARNINGS CONFERENCE CALL DETAILS
The Company will host a conference call to discuss the results at 8 a.m. ET on Thursday, May 3, 2018. The conference call releasing full quarterly results will be hosted by Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer and Todd A. Trapp, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
To listen to the call live, please tune into the webcast via http://investor.abiomed.com or dial (855) 212-2361; the international number is (678) 809-1538. A replay of this conference call will be available beginning at 11 a.m. ET May 3, 2018 through 11:00 a.m. ET on May 10, 2018. The replay phone number is (855) 859-2056; the international number is (404) 537-3406. The replay access code is 448 8806.
The ABIOMED logo, ABIOMED, IMPELLA, IMPELLA 2.5, IMPELLA 5.0, IMPELLA LD, IMPELLA CP, IMPELLA RP, IMPELLA BTR, IMPELLA 5.5, and IMPELLA ECP are registered marks or trademarks of ABIOMED, Inc., and are registered in the U.S. and certain foreign countries. AB5000 and cVAD REGISTRY, Recovering hearts. Saving lives. are trademarks of ABIOMED, Inc.
Based in Danvers, Massachusetts, ABIOMED, Inc. is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory support. Our products are designed to enable the heart to rest by improving blood flow and/or performing the pumping of the heart. For additional information, please visit: www.abiomed.com
This release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding development of ABIOMED's existing and new products, the Company's progress toward commercial growth, and future opportunities and expected regulatory approvals. The Company's actual results may differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements based upon a number of factors, including uncertainties associated with development, testing and related regulatory approvals, including the potential for future losses, complex manufacturing, high quality requirements, dependence on limited sources of supply, competition, technological change, government regulation, litigation matters, future capital needs and uncertainty of additional financing, and other risks and challenges detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recently filed Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this release. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly release the results of any revisions to these forward-looking statements that may be made to reflect events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
For further information please contact:
Director, Investor Relations
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in thousands, except share data)|
|March 31, 2018||March 31, 2017|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||42,975||$||39,040|
|Short-term marketable securities||319,274||190,908|
|Accounts receivable, net||70,010||54,055|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||11,808||8,024|
|Total current assets||494,271||326,958|
|Long-term marketable securities||37,502||47,143|
|Property and equipment, net||117,167||87,777|
|In-process research and development||16,705||14,482|
|Long-term deferred tax assets, net||70,746||34,723|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Current portion of capital lease obligation||-||799|
|Total current liabilities||84,682||69,617|
|Other long-term liabilities||776||3,251|
|Long-term deferred tax liabilities||903||783|
|Capital lease obligation, net of current portion||-||15,539|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Class B Preferred Stock, $.01 par value||-||-|
|Authorized - 1,000,000 shares; Issued and outstanding - none|
|Common stock, $.01 par value||444||437|
|Authorized - 100,000,000 shares; Issued - 46,100,649 shares at March 31, 2018 and 45,249,281 shares at March 31, 2017;|
|Outstanding - 44,375,337 shares at March 31, 2018 and 43,673,286 shares at March 31, 2017|
|Additional paid in capital||619,905||565,962|
|Retained earnings (Accumulated deficit)||140,457||(46,959||)|
|Treasury stock at cost - 1,725,312 shares at March 31, 2018 and 1,575,995 shares at March 31, 2017||(67,078||)||(46,763||)|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(4,204||)||(20,606||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||689,524||452,071|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||786,375||$||550,414|
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|(in thousands, except per share data)|
Three Months Ended
Fiscal Years Ended
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of revenue||30,098||19,261||98,581||70,627|
|Research and development||21,270||16,325||75,297||66,386|
|Selling, general and administrative||75,501||60,100||262,734||218,153|
|Income from operations||47,567||28,994||157,137||90,138|
|Investment income, net||1,303||486||3,688||1,554|
|Other (expense) income, net||(363||)||(124||)||(388||)||(349||)|
|Income before income taxes||48,507||29,356||160,437||91,343|
|Income tax provision||11,660||14,457||48,267||39,227|
|Basic net income per share||$||0.83||$||0.34||$||2.54||$||1.21|
|Basic weighted average shares outstanding||44,320||43,579||44,153||43,238|
|Diluted net income per share||$||0.80||$||0.33||$||2.45||$||1.17|
|Diluted weighted average shares outstanding||46,141||44,924||45,849||44,658|
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Abiomed via Globenewswire
Om Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
One Liberty Plaza - 165 Broadway
NY 10006 New York
+1 212 401 8700http://www.nasdaqomx.com
NASDAQ (NASDAQ: NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents.
Følg saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Registrer deg med din epostadresse under for å få de nyeste sakene fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire på epost fortløpende. Du kan melde deg av når som helst.
Siste saker fra Nasdaq GlobeNewswire
Bombardier Delivers First 90-seat Q400 Aircraft to SpiceJet21.9.2018 16:00 | Pressemelding
SpiceJet becomes the first airline to take advantage of the Q400 aircraft’s increased profit potential TORONTO, Sept. 21, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bombardier Commercial Aircraft today announced the delivery of its first 90-seat Q400 aircraft. The aircraft was handed over to India’s SpiceJet Limited (“SpiceJet”) the launch operator for the extra-capacity, 90-seat aircraft. “We are excited to induct the 90-seat Q400 aircraft into our fleet,” said Ajay Singh, Chairman and Managing Director, SpiceJet. “The additional seats and performance improvements will result in substantial reduction in unit costs and also we will enable us to address our market needs in the regional space.” “The delivery of the first 90-seat Q400 aircraft showcases the commitment of Bombardier’s Q Series turboprop program to respond to customer requirements as they address traffic growth in regional markets,” said Todd Young, Head of the Q Series Aircraft Program, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. “I thank and congratul
Service Providers Speed Deployment, Reduce Costs with Patton Cloud Edge Orchestration Service20.9.2018 22:16 | Pressemelding
Now, Telecom and UCaaS service providers can easily provision, manage, monitor, secure, alert, troubleshoot, analyze, and optimize services on the customer premise GAITHERSBURG, Md., Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Patton Electronics—US-manufacturer of UC, cloud, and IoT-enabling solutions for carrier, enterprise, and industrial networks—has launched the new Patton Cloud service for carriers and service providers that deliver All-IP and hybrid voice-and-data services to business subscribers. Patton Cloud delivers a low-cost, easy-to-use, web-based edge-orchestration service that delivers a superior user experience. It offers remote touchless provisioning, monitoring, and troubleshooting—as well as security and alerting tools that reduce service turn-up costs, trouble tickets, and subscriber attrition. The Patton Cloud service offers quality-control mechanisms including pro-active monitoring and troubleshooting—combined with feature-license distribution pools for managing value-added
Inspirata Promotes Top Executives to Expanded Roles in Digital Pathology20.9.2018 21:12 | Pressemelding
Inspirata Founder and Executive Vice President, Mark Lloyd, is taking on an expanded role overseeing product management, and Inspirata Senior Vice President, Andrew Chomos, has been appointed to General Manager, Digital Pathology, overseeing the Center of Excellence in Pittsburgh along with all North America sales and customer support efforts. Tampa, FL, Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cancer informatics and digital pathology workflow solution provider Inspirata®, Inc. announced today that two of its executives have taken on expanded roles in the company. The two are Inspirata Executive Vice President and Founder, Mark Lloyd, and Senior Vice President and General Manager, Digital Pathology, Andrew Chomos. Dr. Lloyd has accepted the expansion of his role to include product management for Digital Pathology. He is former cancer researcher at both Lombardi Cancer and Moffitt Cancer Center and is Inspirata’s foremost subject matter expert and thought leader on digital pathology and image
Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals Announces Adoption of Commission Decision Granting Marketing Authorisation Approval in the European Union for XERAVA™ (eravacycline) for the Treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections20.9.2018 19:08 | Pressemelding
– Broad Product Label for Treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections – – Phased Commercial Launch Expected in the First Half of 2019 – WATERTOWN, Mass., Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTPH), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing novel antibiotics to treat life-threatening multidrug-resistant (MDR) infections, today announced that the European Commission (EC) has adopted the Decision granting marketing authorisation for XERAVA (eravacycline) for injection for the treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections (cIAI) in adults in the European Union. In clinical trials, XERAVA was well-tolerated and achieved high clinical cure rates in patients with cIAI, demonstrating statistical non-inferiority to two widely used comparators – ertapenem and meropenem. “The European approval of XERAVA, right after our recently announced FDA approval, marks our second significant regulatory approval within one month
UPDATE— Taconic Biosciences Becomes the First Animal Model Provider on General Services Administration Contract Schedule20.9.2018 18:07 | Pressemelding
RENSSELAER, N.Y., Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Taconic Biosciences, a global leader in providing genetically engineered rodent model solutions, announces a new relationship with Government Scientific Source (GSS). GSS is a leading dedicated distributor of laboratory equipment to federal, state, and local governments on contract with the GSA (General Services Administration). By having Taconic’s products available via GSS, they can now be accessed by all federal agencies, including but not limited to the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense. Taconic is the only animal model provider affiliated with GSS and the only animal model provider available on GSA Contract. “An important component of providing customers with the best animal model solutions is access to key resources. Through this exciting new relationship with GSS, Taconic can now easily connect with scientists doing some of the most valuable research in the world and provide them with high quality sol
Digital Transformation is Not a One-Off — It’s About the Digital Journey20.9.2018 17:44 | Pressemelding
SoftServe study confirms four digital journey states with 71 percent of enterprises reporting early stages of adoption AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SoftServe, a leading digital authority and consulting company, today released the results of its market research study that examines how enterprises are responding to the digital economy. The research found that 71 percent of the respondents in the United States and the European Union are in the early stages—Reveal and Transform—of four unique states across the Enterprise Digital Journey. For an in-depth analysis and the full results, read The Enterprise Digital Journey white paper. With fierce competition in today’s global landscape, leveraging cutting-edge technology and deploying new business models is not a one-off pursuit, but rather a continuous process of iteration and refinement. Companies should stop referring to Digital Transformation and instead plan for a continuous Digital Journey. “The term Digital Transfo
I vårt presserom finner du alle våre siste saker, kontaktpersoner, bilder, dokumenter og annen relevant informasjon om oss.Besøk vårt presserom